• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

US policy on LGBT rights has international impact

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
US policy on LGBT rights has international impact
BostonGlobe | By Susan Ryan-Vollmar | JULY 21, 2015

213774713f907234f827acdd7001e7eaf0377d6d.jpg

An employee of the US embassy waved a rainbow American flag as he attended the Christopher Street Day parade in Berlin.

It was June 28, and I was just outside Taksim Square in Istanbul watching a group of black-clad militants beat a man in a rainbow T-shirt. Lady Gaga was tweeting out “This is inhumane!” in response to footage of Turkish police shooting participants of Istanbul’s LGBT Pride March with rubber bullets. As I tried to get away from the attack, I got caught up in a crowd of mostly young LGBT people decked out in rainbow garb who were running from a Toma, a Turkish police tank that houses high-velocity water cannons. Then I witnessed the aftermath of a tear gas attack upon hundreds of defiant marchers.

I was in Turkey with the Boston Gay Men’s Chorus. The day before the Pride riots, the chorus had entertained more than 3,000 exuberant concert-goers, including Charles Hunter, the US Consul General of Istanbul, who joined the chorus on stage for its rendition of Katy Perry’s hit “Firework.” The show, at Istanbul’s Boğaziçi University, was the last stop on a tour of the Middle East that also included concerts in Ein Gedi, Jerusalem, and Tel Aviv. While we were in Tel Aviv, threats against the chorus began trickling in from Turkey. One tweet with a bull’s-eye emoticon promised us an “Islamist welcoming.”

The concert in Istanbul was a rare public expression of LGBT culture in the Muslim world. It would not have taken place without Hunter’s intervention. By informing the Turkish government in advance that he would be sitting in the front row, he ensured our safety, and that of the audience. It was one example of many this past June of US-led efforts to celebrate and honor LGBT people around the world by marking LGBT Pride month.

Bill Clinton was the first US president, in June of 2000, to officially recognize LGBT Pride. But in 2009, President Obama didn’t just issue a proclamation. His administration put in place formal expressions of respect for LGBT people at every level of the federal government. The impact extends to American embassies and consulates that host LGBT-friendly events and unfurl gigantic rainbow flags off the sides of buildings in countries where LGBT people put their lives on the line merely by coming out. (In 2012, the US embassy in Kenya ― where gay sex is punishable by up to 14 years in prison ― hosted that country’s first LGBT Pride event, in Nairobi.)

These are not acts of “cultural imperialism,” as claimed by CitizenGo and Family Watch International, global advocacy groups that promote Christian causes. Nor are they empty gestures that ultimately endanger US national security, as the National Review’s Josh Craddock wrote in an April essay chastising the Obama administration for “treating sexual predilections as human rights.”

Ömer Akpinar is an openly gay Turkish journalist and activist. The acceptance of LGBT people by the president and other US officials “lifts up the bar of democracy for people in Turkey . . . and mainstreams the pro-LGBT discourse” in Turkish culture, Akpinar explained in an e-mail exchange.

As a white Western tourist, I was probably never in any real danger at the Turkish Pride riots, other than the possibility of tripping and falling in front of the Toma as I fled from it. But the experience was terrifying nonetheless, and the delayed panic attack that left me shaking and breathless when I finally escaped the chaos was all too real. I cannot imagine living under those circumstances daily. It’s staggering to contemplate the work ahead for LGBT people in most countries around the world.

Celebrations of LGBT Pride, when coupled with diplomatic speeches before the United Nations declaring that LGBT rights are human rights, as former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton did in 2011, carry the monumentally significant message that equality matters. US diplomatic leadership on LGBT rights may not influence the actions of foreign governments like Turkey, which can still decide at random to blast its citizens with tear gas and rubber bullets. But it comforts and emboldens LGBT people across the world, like Akpinar, who are making courageous sacrifices to advance human rights in places where the idea of full equality remains a far-off dream.

SOURCE

At the very least we should force the IOC to recognize the persecution, abuse and discrimination host countries around the world commit against Gay citizens of the world. Countries that do not work to protect Gay citizens from the bigots and religious zealots instead of legalizing the abuses should have no chance of hosting Olympic Games. If that means Russia, China, Qatar etc are left out in the cold maybe it will help them see the error of their ways ... or not.

luvmuslmen

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that very well written and heartfelt story. You should post it on Facebook.:big hug: XOXO