• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Notre Dame de Paris

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
To all French friends here on GH - my heart is heavy because of the horrible pics from Paris. Notre Dame is burning - I don't want to believe it. Three years ago we've been there! The heart of France is destroyed! Is it an assault or really a slipshod company during their renovation work?

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
To all French friends here on GH - my heart is heavy because of the horrible pics from Paris. Notre Dame is burning - I don't want to believe it. Three years ago we've been there! The heart of France is destroyed! Is it an assault or really a slipshod company during their renovation work?

I've seen the horrible images on Swedish TV tonight and just like Shelter it has made me so very, very sad :(:(:(

Notre Dame de Paris is one of the truly great gothic cathedrals and was starting to be built in the 1160s - it's a grandiose gem of European architecture and art.

From all the comments I've heard in Swedish media the theory of problems due to the renovation work seem the most plausible: As soon as you put a large amount of electric cablage into a building with 800 years old wooden constructions you're threading on very thin ice. A tiny little spark and - ka-booom - you'll have the wood constructions on fire.

Horrible X_X

trypt

Reaction score
Too sad , But it will be rebuilt. Its had fires in the past I believe.

tonka

Super Vip
Reaction score
It's not just the building. The artwork , the windows, the sculptures.
I can at least say that I experienced it a few times in it's glory.

gqstud

Reaction score
I was there 10 yrs ago and I'm just saddened that it happened in the holiest time of the Christian Faith. My heart goes to the French people.

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
It’s sad and heart-breaking hearing about this, plus it makes it even worse that this happened during the Holy Week. The amount of history being lost is priceless! :(

“The church of Notre-Dame of Paris is without doubt, even today, a sublime and majestic building […] a vast symphony in stone, as it were; the colossal handiwork of a man and a people”.
- Victor Hugo: Notre-Dame de Paris (1831)

trencherman

Reaction score
It’s sad and heart-breaking hearing about this, plus it makes it even worse that this happened during the Holy Week. The amount of history being lost is priceless! :(

“The church of Notre-Dame of Paris is without doubt, even today, a sublime and majestic building […] a vast symphony in stone, as it were; the colossal handiwork of a man and a people”.
- Victor Hugo: Notre-Dame de Paris (1831)

It fell into terrible disrepair during and right after the revolution and it was Victor Hugo who spearheaded the campaign to stop its obliteration.

The loss we feel now was what people who cared must have felt when the library of Alexandria, the Parthenon and the Old Summer Palace (called the Yuanmingyuan in Chinese) were consumed by flames. Civilization's gems each and all.

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
It fell into terrible disrepair during and right after the revolution and it was Victor Hugo who spearheaded the campaign to stop its obliteration.

It certainly did, as you would expect being over 500 years old at the time. In addition it was looted and defaced during the French Revolution and reviled as the nobles and clerics were lumped together as the enemies of the people.

Victor Hugo almost single-handedly changed its fate not with his opinions and pamphlets, but with his art. His novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame was wildly popular and changed public opinion about the cathedral which led to a campaign to restore it to the landmark we were able to experience up until yesterday.

Speaking of Hugo and his novel, this music has been going through my head - the finale of the stage version of of the Alan Menken / Stephen Schwartz musical The Hunchback of Notre Dame. (You can find it here.) It brings me to tears anyway, so why should today be any different.

mark_63

Reaction score
I think it is safe to say that all our members feel for the loss incurred by our French members

trencherman

Reaction score
Cultural exchange

The Chinese have developed a knack for building knock-offs. There are replicas of famous tourist spots all over the country. May be the French authorities should look into engaging them to rebuilt a reasonably cost-effective reasonable facsimile of Notre Dame.

They can even promise them to repatriate the artifacts they looted from the Summer Palace as partial settlement.

Rigor100

Reaction score
The Chinese have developed a knack for building knock-offs. There are replicas of famous tourist spots all over the country. May be the French authorities should look into engaging them to rebuilt a reasonably cost-effective reasonable facsimile of Notre Dame.

They can even promise them to repatriate the artifacts they looted from the Summer Palace as partial settlement.

Disney land Paris is a knock off of the original in the US I suppose. So every is copying.:blushing:

The Great Wall of China sure isn't a knock off. There is probably a knock off Great Wall of China somewhere in Disney land Paris, with Mickey Mouse standing on it and waving to the kids below. $15 entrance.;)

golfdelta21

Reaction score
Rebuilding Notre Dame in photos

GMnmIe6.jpg

larryisreal

I believe!
Staff member
Reaction score
My stone masons heart is bleeding seeing this.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
In the immediate aftermath of the fire, France's rich and famous were competing with each other to promise ever larger donations towards the repair cost. So far only about ten percent of the pledges have actually been paid, mostly by the more humble donors. Despite a 66% tax kickback, none of the biggest pledges have yet to turn into real money, the kind the restorers are in desperate need of.
The Bible makes it clear that God takes a very dim view of anyone who uses charity for grandstanding purposes. You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool the man upstairs. There is no stairway to heaven, that was just the name of a song.

garth33

Super Vip
Reaction score
I also heard the repairs were going slow - I hope good people and nations will step forward to restore the amazing structure to its former glory.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
Good news being in such short supply, we must cling to whatever crumbs we can find.
There are beehives on the sacristy roof of Notre Dame, amazingly it seems that the bees inside have survived the blaze without harm. For months it has been too dangerous for the beekeepers to tend to them but now they can confirm that the hard working insects are in good health. Smoke has a sedating effect on them, it is believed that they would have slept through the fire and only woke up when it was all over. Asleep, they require very little oxygen and can resist extremes of temperature.
Don't try this at home, if your house is on fire, get the fuck out of there, you cannot sleep through it, you are not a bee.

trencherman

Reaction score
Now the segment of us that no evidence can ever persuade has a new tool in their arsenal of stupid. Remember that blight that was decimating bees and frogs, whatever it was, they’d claim it’s not rising temperature.

larryisreal

I believe!
Staff member
Reaction score
Now the segment of us that no evidence can ever persuade has a new tool in their arsenal of stupid. Remember that blight that was decimating bees and frogs, whatever it was, they’d claim it’s not rising temperature.

I think you're off the topic...