• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Mystery invaders conquered Europe at the end of last ice age

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Mystery invaders conquered Europe at the end of last ice age
New Scientist | 4 February 2016

22061310517c929851b5ac8e761b3f53d7f20817.jpg

DNA was taken from ancient human bones, like this skull, from the Dolnte Vestonice burial site in the Czech Republic

Europe went through a major population upheaval about 14,500 years ago, at the end of the last ice age, according to DNA from the bones of hunter-gatherers.

Ancient DNA studies published in the last five years have transformed what we know about the early peopling of Europe. The picture they paint is one in which successive waves of immigration wash over the continent, bringing in new people, new genes and new technologies.

These studies helped confirm that Europe’s early hunter-gatherers – who arrived about 40,000 years ago – were largely replaced by farmers arriving from the Middle East about 8000 years ago. These farmers then saw an influx of pastoralists from the Eurasian steppe about 4500 years ago, meaning modern Europe was shaped by three major population turnover events.

Waves of immigration

The latest study suggests things were even more complicated. About 14,500 years ago, when Europe was emerging from the last ice age, the hunter-gatherers who had endured the chilly conditions were largely replaced by a different population of hunter-gatherers.

Exactly where this new population came from is still unclear, but it seems likely that they came from warmer areas further south. “The main hypothesis would be glacial refugia in south-eastern Europe,” says Johannes Krause at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History in Jena, Germany, who led the analysis.

As conditions improved, it was these southern hunter-gatherers who took advantage and migrated into central and northern Europe, he says – meaning there was a genetic discontinuity with the hunter-gatherer populations that had lived there earlier.

220613095a7b9e838ae39b6fdd702f4190cc835b.jpg

His team analysed mitochondrial DNA extracted from 55 ancient Europeans, the oldest of whom lived 35,000 years ago – during the Pleistocene – and the youngest just 7000 years ago, during the Holocene. Previous studies focused largely on the Holocene, looking at human remains from the last 10,000 years.

“This is the first glimpse at Pleistocene population dynamics in Europe,” says Krause. “Little has been done on this older material, mostly due to lower abundance of material and lesser preservation due to age.”

“The population turnover after 14,500 years ago was completely unexpected,” says Iosif Lazaridis at the Harvard Medical School in Boston. “It seems that the hunter-gatherers of Europe braved the worst of the ice age during the last glacial maximum but were then replaced when the ice age had begun to subside.”

Europe’s unusual history

The picture is not yet clear, however, as the study only looked at mitochondrial DNA sequences, rather than the longer nuclear DNA of other studies. “Mitochondrial DNA tells only part of the story of a population,” says Lazaridis. It is important to try to extract nuclear sequences from the Pleistocene-aged skeletons to find out more about this earlier population turnover, he says.

The work also may solve a long-standing mystery of why a certain genetic signature is missing in people of European ancestry. All people today are members of one of a relatively small number of distinct groups based on their mitochondrial DNA, which is passed down the maternal line. The distribution of people in each group gives us a sense of how humans spread across the world in prehistory.

It always seemed that Europe had a very unusual history of colonisation because one major haplogroup – the M clade – is almost entirely missing, despite being very common across Asia and even found in Native Americans. Instead, another major haplogroup – the N clade – is most common.

“Some authors had argued that the M and N haplogroups represented two different dispersal events from Africa,” says Toomas Kivisild at the University of Cambridge.

But Krause and his colleagues found that the M clade might actually have been common in Europe before the population turnover 14,500 years ago: three of the 18 most ancient humans they studied belonged to the M clade.

This suggests that the initial colonisation of Europe and Asia may have involved the same ancient population – and that the M group was actually lost in Europe much later, perhaps connected in some way to the mystery upheavals 14,500 years ago.

SOURCE

This caught my eye and I thought I would share ...

Ioanna

Reaction score
Interesting study Sniffit...but Europe has now anno 2016 again an
immigration wave....

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
immigration wave....

Not of anything like the same magnitude.

We are not taking in even 1% of our population, let alone more than 100% like happened back in the ice age.

I rather feared someone would try drag this cool historical thread down into the political mire - sad to be proved right :(

B.

cacc

GayHeaven's Hottie
Reaction score
Interesting stuff

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
immigration wave....

I think there is a correlation. The pre-historic migration in the article resulted in the smaller established population being overwhelmed by the newcomers.

The pre-historic migration event would not have been a short term event. It would have lasted tens, hundreds or maybe thousands of years. The current migration event is in the early stages. Who can know the full extent of the population shift or the result in the long run?

Look how European migrations affected the established populations in the New World.

The point of all of that is change is inevitable. Many people resist change. In the end 'resistance is futile'...

:D

Ioanna

Reaction score
Not of anything like the same magnitude.

We are not taking in even 1% of our population, let alone more than 100% like happened back in the ice age.

I rather feared someone would try drag this cool historical thread down into the political mire - sad to be proved right :(

B.

It was (is) not my intention this historical subject to drag in the mire or to go to a political issue gb2000ie .... sorry if I stepped on your heart.X_X

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score

I think there is a correlation. The pre-historic migration in the article resulted in the smaller established population being overwhelmed by the newcomers.

The pre-historic migration event would not have been a short term event. It would have lasted tens, hundreds or maybe thousands of years. The current migration event is in the early stages. Who can know the full extent of the population shift or the result in the long run?

Look how European migrations affected the established populations in the New World.

The point of all of that is change is inevitable. Many people resist change. In the end 'resistance is futile'...

In modern times I can think of one example of immigration that has utterly obliterated the native population. It wasn't slow.

I am of course talking about the United States of America.

But again, not exactly a good analogy - Syria is no enlightenment-era Europe!

Also - this is not a good analogy from history. Europe was mostly EMPTY at the time of this migration. Europe was not well full with a strong mature civilisation in place!

As for how big the migration can be - we can know that - WORST case scenario would be if EVERYONE left the middle east and went to Europe. TOTALLY unrealistic, but even that would not be on a scale like this historic migration.

This "flood" of refugees is positively teeny compared to the population of Europe. Comparing it to this mass-invasion from history is disingenuous to the point of being insulting.

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
It is disingenuous to pretend there is no correlation between the pre-historic migration, the European migration to the New World (North, Central and South America) and the current migration event.

All three have brought about changes for the established populations. Time will tell to what extent.

As I said the point is that change is inevitable and "resistance is futile" *spoken in my best Captain Picard Borg imitation*. Surely we can agree on that?

Dendood

Reaction score
Interesting article, but one where it leaves me with more questions than answers. It would be great if we had someone with the authoritative heft to provide context to information that leaves us hanging. Without that, we have no real concept of who the original inhabitants were or who replaced them. At least not exact as the way we may perceive the above information.

Point in case, a side note: I recently watched a science video that asserts "white" pigmentation came into being approximately 35,000 years ago. A genetic adaption to stimulate vitamin D production for a populace eating a diet poor in vitamin D.

It is a little difficult wedging that information into the information above and shaping a seamless progression of European heritage. It's all fascinating though.

A shame we can't time travel and settle all these great mysteries once and for all...

The making of the pyramids.
Jesus.
The origin of peanut butter sandwiches...

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
As I said the point is that change is inevitable and "resistance is futile" *spoken in my best Captain Picard Borg imitation*. Surely we can agree on that?

That there will be change is indeed inevitable. But we do get to shape that change, at least somewhat.

B.