• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Retro Photo (Anything Retro)

trencherman

Reaction score

Hills Brothers Coffee is still around though they package them now in plastic canisters. Sad and faded aroma too than what used to waken me up in the morning when I was a kid.

It’s exactly the same package for Spam. Picked up a package of three tins at Cosco and opened one but only tasted a slice. It was too salty for my own good. Donated the unopened two to the local food bank where a friend who volunteers there told me they sat month after month. Apparently the food bank clientele prefer healthier food to live long lives of poverty.

trencherman

Reaction score
You are brilliant !
I learn a lot by reading your posts :)
How do you know all of this stuff ?

Thank you but they are some forgotten other person’s buried in my memory that these vintage pix bring to the surface much like the scent of madeleine dunked in tisane did for Proust.

trencherman

Reaction score
My first ever camera was a Kodak Instamatic I got from my parents for my birthday at 10 years old! And I was 10 in 1970 :thumbs up:

Kodak’s Instamatic cameras were the next great popular cameras after the Brownies which I actually did not witness myself but heard about from my mom and aunts. Polaroid came a bit earlier than Instamatic and had a concurrent production run. I once heard somebody referring to it as paranoid camera and thought it must have been really cheap, made in Japan before what the phrase meant reversed, for a camera to be paranoid.

Last edited:

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Kodak’s Instamatic cameras were the next great popular cameras after the Brownies which I actually did not witness myself but heard about from my mom and aunts. Polaroid came a bit earlier than Instamatic and had a concurrent production run. I once heard somebody referring to it as paranoid camera and thought it must have been really cheap, made in Japan before what the phrase meant reversed, for a camera to be paranoid.

Instamatic was introduced on the market in 1963, but the model I got as a birthday present was a model from the late 1960s, and I think it was the model below:

insta233.jpg

The next Instamatic generation was the Pocket Instamatic introduced in 1972

kodakinsta.jpg

The Kodak Brownie was much, much earlier: the first Brownie models were introduced on the market in the year 1900!

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
The TV Guide

2572802628cb39b28f14fa8d1d3c6f1b5cba2338.png

Back in the days before cable TV there was a thing called "The TV Guide". I think there was a copy in every household in America, lol. I don't know about the rest of the world but it was a necessity, or so it seemed.

There was also a TV schedule listing in the local newspaper but it wasn't as complete as The TV Guide.

I collected them for a time when I was young.

waistingmytime

Re-Post City
Reaction score
2572802628cb39b28f14fa8d1d3c6f1b5cba2338.png

Back in the days before cable TV there was a thing called "The TV Guide". I think there was a copy in every household in America, lol. I don't know about the rest of the world but it was a necessity, or so it seemed.

There was also a TV schedule listing in the local newspaper but it wasn't as complete as The TV Guide.

I collected them for a time when I was young.

Great post :thumbs up: I'm curious to know if some other countries had TV Guide or a similar magazine ...

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
phone_books_78201701656.jpg

61be627310b94296482c340600831ae2.jpg

Phone books. Remember those? Once they were how we connected with people but now they are just a footnote in our history.

Steve Martin in "The Jerk" got so excited about the phone books delivery. I remember feeling like that way back when, lol.

trencherman

Reaction score
It’s a post WWII item for brewing the best coffee you’ve ever sipped. Some lucky bride in the fifties probably received it as a wedding present and relegated it to storage until they cleared her house fifty years later. I won it at ebay for all of $10. The Pyrex version was quite popular too and though visually appealing, invariably cracks from thermal and physical shocks of normal usage. This stainless version is indestructible.

Last edited:

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
3a9d564e2287bc3e02016e1d0125688d.jpg

_t2ec16v__zqe9s3ssvthbq3_t-blyg__60_57.jpg

corning-heat-proof-glass-stovetop-6-cup-coffee-percolator-9485fcffea5d94b6b1138f6387ce51e3.jpg

vintage-Pyrex-flameware-7759-stovetop-percolator-nine-cup-clear-glass-coffee-pot-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-z318146-1.jpg

vintage-aluminum-5-cup-stove-top-fire-pit-coffee-percolator-glass-indicator-e43bfcd0ee62adfedecf1655db47cd57.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

In the same vein as trencherman's post above. This is a stove top coffee percolator. There were many makes and models.

Fill the basket with ground coffee and the pot with water, light the fire, bring to boil, simmer 5-7 minutes according to taste then let steep a few minutes. Remove the basket and stem. Enjoy a delicious cup of perked coffee.

trencherman

Reaction score
How do I take my coffee? Seriously!
Picked up one of those at the thrift shop. An unused one for Can$5.

trencherman

Reaction score
Great post :thumbs up: I'm curious to know if some other countries had TV Guide or a similar magazine ...

Of course TV Guide spilled over to Canada. I remember advert posters in the subway trains ran by a Toronto newspaper, The Globe & Mail, touting to pay money for TV schedule listing is simply misguided.

trencherman

Reaction score

Molded salad enjoyed a long run as the dish of choice to bring to potluck dinners and church picnics. Colourful jello dessert cups lingered on in school cafeterias where their accessible presence was too tempting to resist as weapon in food fights although everybody knew that the use of congealed weapon can land anyone in serious trouble.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score

I'll try to say something about the Swedish situation, and one basic thing to note when Sweden started broadcasting TV from 1956 on, it was a state monopoly just like Swedish radio had been ever since 1925. Swedish TV followed the British BBC model, that is: the non-commercial public service model, and with one TV channel only until 1969.

From 1969 until 1987 we had two channels but still followed the public service monopoly model, which ended in 87.

About TV/Radio magazines in Sweden:

We had a weekly magazine for Swedish radio programming since 1930, "Röster i Radio", which changed its title in 1957 to "Röster i Radio-TV" (the title could be translated as "Voices in Radio-TV"). Two issues from the 1960s and 70s:

2586119581.jpg

imagesouo.jpg

We got a situation closer to the American when the public service monopoly ended in 1987 & the big tabloids ("Aftonbladet", "Expressen") started publishing their own weekly TV Magazines:

653bc32d91.jpg

aftonblade.jpg

trencherman

Reaction score
Am I ever glad and pretty certain there are no photographs of me in bellbottoms floating around anywhere. Well off cousins had enough clothing allowance to follow the trends closely which even at the time I considered unbecoming.