• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Gay Irish Priest Comes Out To Parishioners...

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Gay Irish Priest Comes Out To Parishioners -- And Gets A Surprising Response
The Huffington Post | By Carol Kuruvilla | Posted: 01/12/2015 5:58 pm EST

After serving a Roman Catholic parish in Ireland for 15 years, the Rev. Martin Dolan told congregants the truth about his sexual orientation over the weekend.

Dolan was standing at the pulpit during a Saturday mass at Dublin’s Church of St. Nicholas of Myra when he began encouraging parishioners to support legalizing same-sex marriage, according to The Irish Sun. Then, he made the unexpected announcement: “I’m gay myself.”

The priest reportedly received a standing ovation.

A community youth worker in Dublin told The Irish Sun, “We are all very proud of Father Martin. Because he has admitted that he is gay doesn't change the person that he was before it.”

Two Irish LGBT rights groups confirmed the priest's remarks to the HuffPost in emails.

Andrew Hyland, director of Marriage Equality, said that he lives on the same street as the church and that his father is one of Dolan’s parishioners.

“Fr. Dolan’s acknowledgement from the pulpit that he is gay and supports marriage equality has been warmly welcomed in Ireland,” Hyland wrote. “The parishioners of Francis Street have expressed a deep loyalty towards him since his brave announcement.”

Tiernan Brady, policy director for the Gay and Lesbian Equality Network, said Dolan's coming out is "first and foremost a wonderful personal story."

"It takes a lot of courage to do what Fr Dolan did and he must have experiences some trepidation before he said it," Brady wrote. "The wonderful reaction of his congregation giving him a standing ovation after he spoke is a powerful endorsement of his brave decision."

Neither Dolan nor Dublin’s archdiocese responded to requests for comment.

The church doesn't formally ban gays from the priesthood, but requires all clergy to take a vow of celibacy. Pope Francis famously addressed the question of homosexuality in the priesthood in 2013, saying in Italian: "Who am I to judge a gay person of goodwill who seeks the Lord? You can't marginalize these people."

Ireland is preparing to hold a referendum on legalizing gay marriage in May. According to a 2011 census, Catholics made up 84.2 percent of Ireland’s population. Although the Catholic Church does not favor same-sex marriage, an Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI poll found that 71 percent of the electorate was willing to vote to approve marriage equality this spring.

“Fr. Dolan’s support will undoubtedly give a boost to a positive outcome in the referendum,” Hyland said. “It signals to people that despite what the hierarchy of the Church wills, regular Church goers can vote yes and know they join thousands of others in good conscience in doing so.

“Fr. Dolan’s move reminds people that many LGBT people have a deep faith and are an equal part of the Church and should be valued as such,” Hyland added.

SOURCE

Urban

Donator
Reaction score
I confess I have a love-hate relationship with the Catholic Church. That's as opposed to many people's despise-hate relationship. I was raised Catholic but no longer believe in God, let alone religion. Nevertheless, the Catholic Church was a strong formative influence on me; I attended Catholic schools for 12 years, plus a Catholic college and even spent a year in a Catholic grad school.

Despite the authoritarian stance that most Catholic hierarchy take, there are nevertheless those (mostly at the lower end of the ladder, i.e. parish priests) whose beliefs are at odds with the official stance, and, as shown in the above article, the vast majority of parishioners have their own beliefs. There's a good reason for this. Despite the experiences many former Catholics have had with the Church hierarchy, and I've had some myself, the Catholic Church has always placed primary importance on the individual's conscience.

My teachers & other clergymen associates have always stressed that no matter what, a person is bound to follow his or her conscience; sin is the result of not doing so. Of course, the expectation is that a person's conscience has been shaped by the clergy and will thus conform to Church teachings. In my case, I've journeyed far beyond the boundaries of not just the Catholic Church but also religion. Just to clarify, this didn't happen because I'm gay but because I've adopted a scientific point of view.

But my point is that I have to partially credit my Catholic upbringing with instilling in me both the need and the strength to follow my conscience always. That's where the "love" in "love-hate" comes in. And that's why you'll often find that Catholics disagree with the hierarchy on various issues and yet still consider themselves to be "good" Catholics.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
So nice to see an Irish priest make the news and for there to be no victims!