• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith
FOX News | By Todd StarnesP | January 07, 2015

Atlanta%20FIre%20Chief%20Kelvin-Cochran-Fox.jpg

Former Atlanta Fire Chief Kelvin Cochran (Fox 5 Atlanta)

Kelvin Cochran was five-years-old when he realized that he wanted to be a firefighter.

“My family was very, very poor,” Cochran told me. “We were living in a shotgun house in an alley – three big brothers, two little sisters.”

One Sunday afternoon the Cochran children heard a fire truck stop across from their neighbor’s home. Miss Maddie’s house was one fire.

“It’s a frightening day in the United States when a person cannot express their faith without fears of persecution following,” White told me. “It’s persecution when a godly fire chief loses his job over expressing his Christian faith.”

“That’s the day that God convicted me in my heart that I wanted to be a firefighter when I grew up,” Cochran said. “All I thought about growing up in Shreveport was not being poor and being a firefighter.”

And God granted Kelvin Cochran the desires of his heart. The little boy in the shotgun shack grew up to become the fire chief of Shreveport. He was named the Atlanta fire chief in 2008 – a position he served until 2009 when was called to serve in the Obama Administration as a fire administrator. In 2010 he returned to Atlanta where he was unanimously confirmed to once again be the city’s fire chief.

But now Chief Cochran’s storied career is up in smoke – all because of a book he wrote for a men’s Bible study group at his Baptist church.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed announced Tuesday that Cochran had been fired. The announcement came on the same day Cochran was supposed to return to work following a 30-day suspension.

“The LGBT members of our community have a right to be able to express their views and convictions about sexuality and deserve to be respected for their position without hate or discrimination,” Cochran told me in an exclusive interview. “But Christians also have a right to express our belief regarding our faith and be respected for our position without hate and without discrimination. In the United States, no one should be vilified, hated or discriminated against for expressing their beliefs.”

Cochran had been suspended in November because of a passage he wrote about homosexuality in a book titled, “Who Told You That You Were Naked?” The book’s theme is about biblical morality.

“This is about judgment,” Mayor Reed said during a Tuesday press conference. “This is not about religious freedom. This is not about free speech. Judgment is the basis of the problem.”

Last November the mayor posted a public condemnation of the fire chief on his official Facebook page.

“I profoundly disagree with and am deeply disturbed by the sentiments expressed in the paperback regarding the LGBT community,” the mayor wrote. “I will not tolerate discrimination of any kind within my administration.”

The mayor went on to inform the public that Cochran had been suspended without pay and was ordered to complete a sensitivity training class.

“I want to be clear that the material in Chief Cochran’s book is not representative of my personal beliefs, and is inconsistent with the Administration’s work to make Atlanta a more welcoming city for all of her citizens -- regardless of their sexual orientation, gender, race and religious beliefs,” Mayor Reed wrote.

So what in the world did Cochran write that was so offensive to the mayor and the LGBT community?

According to the GA Voice, a publication that covers the LGBT community, there were two items that caused concern:

“Uncleanness – whatever is opposite of purity; including sodomy, homosexuality, lesbianism, pederasty, bestiality, all other forms of sexual perversion.”

“Naked men refuse to give in, so they pursue sexual fulfillment through multiple partners, with the opposite sex, the same sex, and sex outside of marriage and many other vile, vulgar and inappropriate ways which defile their body – temple and dishonor God.”

Cochran said he referenced homosexuality on less than a half a page in the 160-page book.

“I did not single out homosexuality,” he said. ‘I simply spoke to sex being created by God for pro-creation and He intended it to be between a man and a woman in holy matrimony – and that any other sex outside of that is sin.”

Cochran told me that someone within the department obtained a copy of the book and took it to openly-gay city council member Alex Wan.

Wan released a statement supporting Cochran’s termination and said it “sends a strong message to employees about how much we value diversity and how we adhere to a non-discriminatory environment.”

The book caused a firestorm within Atlanta’s LGBT community and there were many calls for him to be fired – a decision the mayor finally agreed to.

“I guess they got what they asked for,” Cochran said.

Georgia Equality Executive Director Jeff Graham told GA Voice Cochran’s “anti-gay” views could result in a hostile work environment.

“This is not about his religious views but his about his ability to lead a diverse work force,” he said. “It’s unfortunate that this had to happen. I feel the mayor has done the right thing to ensure all employees are treated fairly.”

The allegations against Cochran amount to a he-said, he-said between the fire chief and the mayor.

Reed said that he had no knowledge that Cochran was writing a book. However, Cochran said the director of Atlanta’s ethics office had not only given him permission to write the book, but to also mention in his biography that he was the city’s fire chief.

Cochran said he gave a copy of the book to Mayor Reed in January, 2014 and the mayor told him he planned on reading it during an upcoming trip.

Cochran also admitted that he gave copies of the book to several members of the fire department – individuals with whom he had personal relationships.

The mayor also took issue with Cochran speaking publicly about his suspension. However, Cochran said he honored the mayor’s guidance and did not speak to the media. He did, however, share his testimony in several churches.

“I did not dishonor him in the process,” Cochran told me.

Cochran wants to make clear that he does not hate anyone.

“The essence of the Christian faith is a love without condition, sir,” he told me. “I have demonstrated that love in the fire service for 34 years. There’s not any person of any people group that has interacted with me for any measure of time that can say I have hate or disregard or discrimination in my heart for any people group.”

Cochran’s plight has drawn condemnation from a number of religious groups across Georgia including the influential Georgia Baptist Convention.

“This is appalling,” said Robert White, president of the Georgia Baptist Convention. “This has everything to do with his religious beliefs.”

White told me he believes the mayor succumbed to pressure from the city’s LGBT community.

“It’s a frightening day in the United States when a person cannot express their faith without fears of persecution following,” he told me. “It’s persecution when a godly fire chief loses his job over expressing his Christian faith.”

And the fire chief’s firing could spark public protests and demonstrations from the state’s Christian community.

“We’re past the point of taking a public stand,” White told me. “Christians must stand up for their rights.”

Cochran told me he is considering his legal options – but one thing is certain. He has no desire to get his old job back.

“I believe God has greater things for me,” the father and grandfather said. “I love the fire services. It’s a childhood dream come true.”

And don’t go feeling sorry for Chief Cochran.

“I’m not discouraged and I’m not downtrodden,” he said. “This is a God thing and He’s going to do great things and He will vindicate me publicly.”

SOURCE

These 'Christians' need to be reigned in. They march and protest for their own religious freedom and minority civil rights but are against Gay Equality.

I'd say he got what he deserved. I remember something about 'Judge not lest ye be judged' but I'm not sure where that quote comes from. I think it has to do with the 'Good Book' but maybe not. Still I like that philosophy... :)

Fuck them. Fuck them all and let their 'God' sort them out ;)

Last edited:

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
This makes me feel DEEPLY uneasy.

There is not even the tiniest suggestion that he ever acted in any way to oppress anyone. He just thinks sex outside of marriage is a sin. Not a crime. A sin.

It is fair to punish people for their deeds, but not for their thoughts or beliefs!

This stinks to high heaven of a witch hunt.

Not in my name!

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
To put this story into context a little one should know Atlanta is a city with one of the largest Gay communities in the country. There are many, many city employees including firemen and women under this man's command. He compared homosexuality to "pederasty, bestiality, all other forms of sexual perversion". This is unacceptable for the Chief of the Fire Department of Atlanta.

What if he were white and made some derisive remarks about blacks or inter-racial marriage?

I understand your sentiments. I'm just sayin' he should know better.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
If this man were to spout his medieval ideas at work then he does deserve to lose his job. As I read it, these archaic comments were not made in works time but in his own time. I believe that the things you say in your own time are not the business of your boss. A lot of people get into trouble over things like facebook comments. When these are made in a professional capacity then they do matter to your employer. When they are made as a private individual then free speech applies. In this case making a martyr of the man does more harm to our cause than anything he could have done himself.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to wonder if Mr. Cochran, when he is considering promotions, relies on the dogma of his chosen religion to guide his decisions? Why would he choose a perverted homosexual to be a battalion chief if there was a good, clean heterosexual who needed that promotion to help support his family and all the babies he makes with women because it's God's plan? I think he should never have been made the Chief of the A.F.D.

If a similar government administrator were to publish a pamphlet comparing another minority to perverted rapists or savage animals and cloak his words in some freedom of religious belief argument he would certainly be lynched by the media and labeled a racist unfit for public service and rightly so. Public servants should be held to a higher standard than average citizens.

Someone's personal beliefs always influence every decision. At least that is what I've read religious people say over and over. Bigotry should not be allowed to flourish behind a claim or freedom of religious beliefs. It's a stretch but one could use the freedom of religious beliefs to justify all sorts of statements or actions. Gay people are such easy targets. Consider the War on Gays in Russia or any Muslim country or Catholic countries of South America. Religion drives those campaigns of oppression, abuse and worse.

Last edited:

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
When managers consider promotions they cant help but look for common ground. It is part of the way our minds work. Football players like other football players, smokers have a bond to other smokers, and christians do prefer other christians, whether conciously or unconciously. If you stay on the line of this argument you end up at the destination that homosexuals can not become managers because of the favouritism they cannot help but show to other homosexuals. A good manager will be able to rise above his base gut feelings but not every manager has that ability. That is why an important organisation, like a fire department, has rules, training and systems (red tape in the language of the right) to enforce equality of opportunity. Equality works for the benefit of our enemies as well as our friends.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct dargelos. Birds of a feather...

If this Fire Commissioner were Gay and he had the poor judgment to publish his personal belief that as a group heterosexuals were akin to child molesters and animal fuckers or that Blacks were somehow less than Gays or that God considered another group as unclean or unworthy I would call for his removal from office.

There will always be prejudice in human nature. When it becomes open, public bigotry or when someone uses their public official pulpit to preach how one class is 'unclean'... that is unnacceptable... IMHO ;)

chgotop

Reaction score
Absolutely. Sometimes this religious freedom movement smacks of finding justifiable reasoning to discriminate against specific groups. Pharmacists, photographers, ministers have suddenly "seen the light" when gay patrons may require a service.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
He said homosexuality is a sin. If you are a Christian, IT IS!

If you are a Muslim, drinking alcohol is a sin. Does that mean a Muslim cannot express his or her faith if they have workers who drink?

If you are a Jew, eating pork is a sin. Does that mean a Jew cannot say that Jews should eat kosher if anyone in work likes bacon?

He was writing in a pamphlet on CHRISTIAN morality, and he expressed Christian belief perfectly.

Unless the reporting has totally buried the lead, he did not call for anyone to discriminate against anyone. I don't need Christians to stop thinking I am sinning any more than I need Jews to change their mind on pork or Muslims to change their mind on alcohol. I will enjoy my bacon, my beer, and my man-on-man action unaffected.

People should be fired for their actions. Were there gays who were the best person for the job who have been passed over? Is he preaching against gays in work? Is he creating a hostile work environment?

If not, then a man has just been persecuted for his beliefs because some people are afraid he MIGHT do something bad because he doesn't think like them.

Based on the reporting, this is a witch hunt. If he actually did something bad in work, then THAT should be the story, and THAT should be why he lost his job.

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Committing adultery is a sin. How many heterosexuals commit adultery? Working on the sabbath is listed as a sin in the bible. How many people work on Sunday? His decision to point out homosexuals and include them in a group with things such as he did:

“Uncleanness – whatever is opposite of purity; including sodomy, homosexuality, lesbianism, pederasty, bestiality, all other forms of sexual perversion.”

showed poor judgment on his part and poor judgment like publishing such views IS an action. As I said before there are a lot of Gay and Lesbian firefighters in Atlanta, a lot of them. His published words are an insult to those under his command and many of them also claim to be Christians and attend church every Sunday.

He was a public servant. A high ranking public servant with thousands of men and women under his command. He should have known better. Mayor Reed should use his lapse of judgment to inform other high ranking officials in his administration that poor judgment has consequences.

I see your point gb2000ie and I hope you see mine. Our perspectives are not so far apart. I think actions speak louder than words but this sort of prejudice and bigotry is too far over the line to allow a public official to get away with it. The idea of separation of church and state has been lost and now anyone can claim religious freedom to skirt any law they disagree with. Homosexuals are not sinners in the eyes of the state... or are we?

Religion is the root of all evil and it's bedfellow is money.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Sniffit - I think we do almost agree, but not quite.

I am 110% in favour of separation of church and state. And, because I'm in favour of that, I'm disturbed by what happened here.

Unless the reporting has left out the worst parts of the story, this man didn't bring his religion with him to work.

Separation of church and state means that everyone working for the government should be free to believe what ever they want in private, provided they leave it at the door when they walk into the office.

Kennedy put it very well when he was addressing the prejudice against him because he was catholic:

But because I am a Catholic, and no Catholic has ever been elected President, the real issues in this campaign have been obscured -- perhaps deliberately, in some quarters less responsible than this. So it is apparently necessary for me to state once again -- not what kind of church I believe in, for that should be important only to me -- but what kind of America I believe in.

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute; where no Catholic prelate would tell the President -- should he be Catholic -- how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference, and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the President who might appoint him, or the people who might elect him.

(full transcript and MP3 audio: http://refhide.com/?http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jfkhoustonministers.html)

There is only one thing I have seen in the reporting that I think this chap did wrong, he included his official position in his bio for the book. He says he asked for and was given permission, but he was wrong to even ask, and the person who apparently gave permission was dead wrong to give it.

I'm not sure that's a firing offence though - a warning perhaps, but not more IMO.

If he was a good fire chief, it shouldn't matter that he holds 100% orthodox Christian views on sexual morality.

The way I see it is that it's OK for Catholics to say bum sex is a sin just like it is OK for jews to say Pork is a sin. What would not be OK would be for Jews to try enshrine those beliefs into law, and hence, what would also not be OK is for a public official to be campaigning to enshrine Christian morals into law.

I don't know that he wasn't, but nothing in the reporting says he was, and surely, it he was, his critics would have added that fact to the debate?

B.

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
...People should be fired for their actions. Were there gays who were the best person for the job who have been passed over? Is he preaching against gays in work? Is he creating a hostile work environment?

If not, then a man has just been persecuted for his beliefs because some people are afraid he MIGHT do something bad because he doesn't think like them...

I think you have convinced me. You can't argue for free speech, and then demand that some one lose their job because they believe something that offends you. And besides the logical argument, things like this just fans the flames for the conservatives that believe that their religious freedom is being taken away by the gays.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it's a moot point because he has been fired and what's done is done.

I suspect Mayor Reed had political motives for firing him rather than any fairness or equality motive. Maybe that is the wrong side of another discussion but I guess I'm cynical when it comes to politicians ;)

Gruet98

Reaction score
So what's the difference between writing a book that says "homosexuality is a sin" and actually holding an anti-gay poster outside the fire department like some westrbro nut?

None. Because he made his sentiments public.

And just because he didn't single out anyone doesn't make it any less of a hate speech. Just because Christians say it's the sin and not the sinner, that does not excuse the fact that you are against homosexuality.

Homosexuality is all about doing it with the other gender, that is what makes us. That is who we are.

What these Religous zealots are saying is that they are comparing us for example a thief - like they detest the actual theivery but in the end they love the person.

But for us homosexuals, that is what we are. You can't separate the homosexual act and being a homosexual. That if you are judging the "sin" as they call it, you are also discriminating the person as well.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
So what's the difference between writing a book that says "homosexuality is a sin" and actually holding an anti-gay poster outside the fire department like some westrbro nut?

EVERYTHING!

Westbro want to outlaw homosexuality. They want to turn faith into law.

You on the other hand are confusing religious rules with laws.

It is a fact that every religion gets to set rules their members are expected to live by. Jews are denied bacon. Muslims beer. Catholics bum-sex!

Pork is a sin to many. Alcohol is a sin to many. Gambling is a sin to many. One night stands are a sin to many. Sex to anyone you are not married to is a sin to many.

THEY HAVE THAT RIGHT!

By your 'logic', every Rabbi, every Imam, every Reverend, every Priest, every Nun, every Monk, every Bishop, every medecine man and many more are all hate mongers because they describe something legal under law as not morally OK within their faiths.

In a free society, it's OK for someone to consider what you do a sin, whether you be eating a sausage sandwich, having a rum and coke, or bumming a bro!

What is not OK is for you to be treated differently under the law, or assaulted. Calling for those things is hate speech - simply saying "within our church we don't approve of X" is not hate speech.

Bottom line - you have a right not to be discriminated against, but you do not have a right to be universally liked!

B.

P.S.
Making light of the word hate like you do here is akin to making light of the word Nazi - something I personally consider a sin!

Gruet98

Reaction score
Why is that so bad?

Sure he can say it is a sin according to his religion. But his own personal belief is what matters. And by publishing his own book and labelling it as a sin is a clear indication of what this man is - whether he is fit ot be head of the fire department or not.

So why is having the same personal belief - labelling something as a sin, a bad thing?

Because you create prejudices. Because your belief reflect your actions. And someone who publishes a book about his belief makes you all the more dangerous to the people you discriminate because for sure you'll act on your belief. And that creates doubt on your credibility.

But saying something and acting on it are different right?

Sure. But what we are talking about is credibility and what you make the whole fire department out to be.

He says homosexuality is a sin. So what if someone in the fire department is a homosexual. And that someone wants to go on leave to spend time with his boyfriend? Would he allow it? Would he ALLOW a sin to take place? Think about it.

By publishing a book, he not only painted himself in a bad light, but the whole fire department. Employees who go and post stupid stuff on the internet have been relieved just because they make their employers/companies look bad. As head of the fire department you are saying that homosexuality is a sin in the entire fire department and that should be the norm for everyone working in it.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Why is that so bad?

Sure he can say it is a sin according to his religion. But his own personal belief is what matters. And by publishing his own book and labelling it as a sin is a clear indication of what this man is - whether he is fit ot be head of the fire department or not.

So why is having the same personal belief - labelling something as a sin, a bad thing?

Because you create prejudices. Because your belief reflect your actions. And someone who publishes a book about his belief makes you all the more dangerous to the people you discriminate because for sure you'll act on your belief. And that creates doubt on your credibility.

But saying something and acting on it are different right?

Sure. But what we are talking about is credibility and what you make the whole fire department out to be.

He says homosexuality is a sin. So what if someone in the fire department is a homosexual. And that someone wants to go on leave to spend time with his boyfriend? Would he allow it? Would he ALLOW a sin to take place? Think about it.

By publishing a book, he not only painted himself in a bad light, but the whole fire department. Employees who go and post stupid stuff on the internet have been relieved just because they make their employers/companies look bad. As head of the fire department you are saying that homosexuality is a sin in the entire fire department and that should be the norm for everyone working in it.

You are implying that it is impossible to believe in BOTH a separation of church and state and be religious.

That's nonsense.

It boils down to "this man needs to lose his job because I think he might do something wrong" - I think that's really dangerous, and, frankly, discrimination.

B.

Gruet98

Reaction score
People have always been hiding behind the veil of religous freedom to disguise their hate speech. They say things like "You'll go to hell", "God hates homosexuals" or "Thank God for Aids" and then they'll say it's about respecting their religion, that we homosexuals direspect their faith.

I mean come on.

If this fire chief labels homosexuality as a sin and publishes it, here's what he is saying:

a) According to his religion homosexuality is wrong.
b) According to his own belief (without the veil or religion) homosexuals are wrong.

He is basically saying that we homosexuals are wrong, we are sexual perverts. That homosexuality (like every other sin) needs to be corrected.

How can you stand there and take all what he is saying when you are a homosexual yourself? Disgusting.

How can you say this is not a hate speech? Disgusting.

Yes every religion can label anything as a sin. But this was his OWN PERSONAL belief.

Yes anyone can say anything is a sin according to his religion. But you have to take CONTEXT into account. This person has a position, he was on top. Think about the consequences of what he has done to the fire departemnt. He basically alligned his religious beliefs, his own personal beliefs and the morality of the whole fire department.

He was a fire department chief. And with that position, all you do and say represents the entire department that you handle.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
People have always been hiding behind the veil of religous freedom to disguise their hate speech. They say things like "You'll go to hell", "God hates homosexuals" or "Thank God for Aids" and then they'll say it's about respecting their religion, that we homosexuals direspect their faith.

I mean come on.

If this fire chief labels homosexuality as a sin and publishes it, here's what he is saying:

a) According to his religion homosexuality is wrong.
b) According to his own belief (without the veil or religion) homosexuals are wrong.

He is basically saying that we homosexuals are wrong, we are sexual perverts. That homosexuality (like every other sin) needs to be corrected.

How can you stand there and take all what he is saying when you are a homosexual yourself? Disgusting.

How can you say this is not a hate speech? Disgusting.

Yes every religion can label anything as a sin. But this was his OWN PERSONAL belief.

Yes anyone can say anything is a sin according to his religion. But you have to take CONTEXT into account. This person has a position, he was on top. Think about the consequences of what he has done to the fire departemnt. He basically alligned his religious beliefs, his own personal beliefs and the morality of the whole fire department.

He was a fire department chief. And with that position, all you do and say represents the entire department that you handle.

I think you have too thin a skin, and think that you should be offended because someone thinks you are a sinner.

Have you had bacon? SINNER!!!!

Have you had a beer? SINNER!!!

By your logic every Jew should be prevented from public office because they think people who eat bacon are going to hell. They are food perverts!

Similarly, every Muslim should be prevented from office because they think people who drink are going to hell. They are drink perverts!

It is IMPOSSIBLE to live in a world where everyone agrees with each other about everything. IMPOSSIBLE.

So - bearing that reality in mind, what can we do?

Only one thing - live and let live.

As long as people do not enforce their beliefs on others, they should be free free to have them. It's ACTIONS that matter, not beliefs.

I believe that cheating on people is wrong. If I were religious I would call it a sin. Does that mean I cannot manage a department with promiscuous people? Does that make it OK to assume I WILL discriminate, and fire me up-front for what I MIGHT do? Heck no! That is thought crime, and that is some seriously extreme and dangerous stuff!

So, bringing it back to this fire chief. If you show me evidence that he discriminated, then I am 100% in favour of his being fired. If you show me evidence that he proselytised in work, then I am 100% in favour of his being fired.

But no one has shown any such evidence. I can only assume that's because it doesn't exist.

So - if there is no evidence that he DID discriminate, then what we are left with is thought crime. This man disagrees with us, he MIGHT break the law and do something bad, so we should fire him now in case he does!

I have NO problem with being a gay man against witch hunts. If you think I am sick for being a moral person, then I guess I need to be fired too, because I don't think like you and I MIGHT do something bad.

Actually - you clearly don't think like me, so you might persecute me, so I mist insist you be fired from your job immediately because you MIGHT discriminate against humanists!

Gruet98

Reaction score
You really don't get it do you?

Every religion has the right to label anything as a sin.

But by publishing the book this makes it a PERSONAL belief.

Take away religion in the equation. If someone published that "Homosexuality is wrong" or "Homosexuals are born wrong" or "Homosexuals are wrong". Then that is hate speech to ME because that is his own PERSONAL belief.

What if he said that worshipping Allah is a sin? That being a Muslim is a sin?

What if he said that worshipping Vishnu is a sin? That being a Hindu is a sin?

What if he said that worshipping anything but the Christian God is a sin?

What he published is that homosexuality - the MERE attraction to the same gender is wrong. That You and I and every homo on the block is wrong. That we were BORN WRONG.

What he is doing is HIDING behind religion to cover his ass. When there is no real distinction of what his church believes and what he believes.

And don't tell me a hate speech does not mean anything. Don't tell me that what people say or think don't really reflect who they are.

If this was just an ordinary person proclaiming his hate speech then people wouldn't be so riled by it. But the person is the CHIEF. Don't tell me what he said didn't dent his credibility as a top government employee.

What you are suggesting is that homosexuals should just take it and leave it be. I say grow a pair.

What he says matters and should matter.