• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Possible HIV Vaccine Identified

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
This could be the start of something really big! :praying:

Scientists announce anti-HIV agent so powerful it can work in a vaccine

In a remarkable new advance against the virus that causes AIDS, scientists from the Jupiter, Florida campus of The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) have announced the creation of a novel drug candidate that is so potent and universally effective, it might work as part of an unconventional vac

The research, which involved scientists from more than a dozen research institutions, was published February 18 online ahead of print by the journal Nature.

The study shows that the new drug candidate blocks every strain of HIV-1, HIV-2 and SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus) that has been isolated from humans or rhesus macaques, including the hardest-to-stop variants. It also protects against much-higher doses of virus than occur in most human transmission and does so for at least eight months after injection.

"Our compound is the broadest and most potent entry inhibitor described so far," said Michael Farzan, a TSRI professor who led the effort. "Unlike antibodies, which fail to neutralize a large fraction of HIV-1 strains, our protein has been effective against all strains tested, raising the possibility it could offer an effective HIV vaccine alternative

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
It's a very interesting development, but there's still plenty of road to travel.

It seems we have found an agent that kills HIV very effectively, but, what else does it do? It lasts in the body for 8 months, so if you do that for a lifetime, what side effects will you suffer?

Also - this raises the social issues of the kind of behaviour it could encourage. Guys and gals could just take this every eight months and then sleep around without protection with gay (and straight) abandon, and spike every other STD out there.

Still - anything that offers hope in the fight against the AIDS pandemic in Africa is a very good thing.

B.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Don't make me seriously angry gb! Have gay men become so into getting the catholic cardinals hat and such moralistic ranters and stonehearts that among the very first things to say when we get the news of a possible HIV-vaccine not too far afield in the future is that "this raises the social issues of the kind of behavior it could encourage"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this as a first reaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No glad tidings, just "the kind of behavior it could encourage"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Don't make me seriously angry gb! Have gay men become so into getting the catholic cardinals hat and such moralistic ranters and stonehearts that among the very first things to say when we get the news of a possible HIV-vaccine not too far afield in the future is that "this raises the social issues of the kind of behavior it could encourage"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this as a first reaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No glad tidings, just "the kind of behavior it could encourage"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't raise a MORAL objection! I raised a public health concern!

I expressed a fear that is may cause a spike in other STDs. I didn't make a value judgement on sleeping around, I just expressed a fear that people may use less protection because they are safe from AIDS, and end up spreading all kinds of other diseases as a result.

I also raised concerns about side effects, because a vaccine that lasts 8 months is something you're going to need to take many many times, so if there are side effects that's a big issue.

I think this is a really positive development, but it's not a magic pill.

B.