• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

whats for dinner?

trencherman

Reaction score
For our Chinese Spring Fest feast, damn the HBP, full steamed lobster Cantonese ahead.

and Crab meat stir fried fresh cow’s milk

and Tarte Tatin, all three of them homemade.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
257981027e0740890cf897c76fabab5dbb115dbe.jpg

25798101c91469acd70920a7d89800d62c743fb7.jpg

Last edited:

trencherman

Reaction score
Umm, okra…I’d say that dinner there is quite a moving affair.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
2580040285f91b4d38aec6603fb1f982dcadfbbb.jpg

25800401981d0aaa83b8e2592cff392405c0e9e7.jpg

2580040327566068f98fa1122086ffda863f3040.jpg

2580040450245101e3fc506d5636a8a1d7459ac2.jpg

2580040529237c06ff2f0b16a846f5fca16b7e71.jpg

Reubens, potato salad & home-made spicy garlic dill pickles (my partner makes them & they are delicious)

trencherman

Reaction score
Mary Poppins was not entirely correct to claim a spoonful of sugar makes everything go down. Okra does, not a spoonful of sugar.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Mary Poppins was not entirely correct to claim a spoonful of sugar makes everything go down. Okra does, not a spoonful of sugar.

Okra is delicious fried, steamed, boiled, pickled, in soups or gumbo or stew. Throw some pods in on top of speckled butter beans 10 minutes before they're done and it enhances the flavor so much. It's especially tasty when added to stewed tomatoes. The two flavors compliment each other like butter & honey.

As trencherman noted it is also a very heart and colon healthy food. It's a staple in the region I grew up in. We eat a lot of whole grains, fresh fruit and raw vegetables. We have dried lentils with cornbread several times a month. Sliced onions or scallions round out that meal nicely.

If you grew up eating at my mother's table you'd know the wholesomeness and versatility of the magical okra pod.

Bon Appétit

Okra-2.png

Have you heard of okra? Perhaps you know it better as lady’s fingers, bamia, bhindi or gumbo? Whatever the name, this green veggie is something everyone should be talking about because of its powerful health benefits.

From weight loss to cancer prevention, okra covers a wide spectrum. But what everyone wants to know, does it taste good? Well, the flavour is pretty mild but it depends on how you cook it. Why not try it yourself and see what you think?

What is Okra?
Okra is a vegetable from a tall plant that grows in warm and tropical climates. Although it’s become an “in” superfood lately, its history traces back to ancient Ethiopia, travelling on to the Eastern Mediterranean, India, the Americas and the Caribbean. The part of the plant traditionally eaten are the pods. (source)

Depositphotos_10655028_l-2015.jpg

The Health Benefits of Okra
1. Weight Loss
Okra is a great vegetable to add to your regular diet if you’re trying to drop a few pounds. The pods are very low in calories (just 30 kcal in 100g) so you can eat as much as you want. Their high fibre content, which I’ll elaborate on later, also helps fill your stomach, meaning you won’t be as hungry and will get by on smaller portions. (source)

2. Improving Blood Glucose Levels in Diabetes
Most of the recent hype around okra is related to its effect in diabetics. Type II Diabetes is on the increase in developed countries so this is a very valuable finding. In Turkey, roasted okra seeds have been used as a traditional remedy for diabetes for decades. Recent research supports this too.

A study in The Journal of Pharmacy & BioAllied Sciences found that feeding dried, ground okra peels and seeds lowered blood glucose levels in diabetic lab mice. It’s theorised that the insoluble fibre content of okra slows absorption of sugar from your digestive system. (source)

3. Lowers Cholesterol
Not only does okra contain no cholesterol or saturated fats itself, making it a super heart-healthy food - it can also help lower your cholesterol levels. (source) Again, this benefit can most likely be attributed to its fiber content as fiber binds to cholesterol and removes it from the body. (source)

4. Aids Digestion
As you’ve probably picked up from the mention of fiber above, okra is great at preventing constipation. The high levels of dietary fiber act as a natural laxative, creating a thick mucilage substance in the gut that lubricates the intestine and pushes food through your digestive system. (source)

Conversely, it also prevents diarrhea by adding bulk to watery stools (source). A smoother digestive process leads to a reduction in bloating, cramps and gas, making it a good choice for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) sufferers.

5. Reduces the Risk of Cancer, Especially Colorectal Cancer
Increased intake of fibre clears “toxins” from your colon, leading to lower risk of colorectal cancer. There’s also evidence emerging that okra may help fight breast cancer by inhibiting growth. (source)

6. Contains High Levels of Vitamin A
Okra pods have a lot of vitamin A and other antioxidants including beta-carotene, xanthin and lutein. This means it’s great for eye and skin health and helps prevent cataracts. (source 1, 2)

7. Contains Folates
100 grams of okra will give you 22% of your recommended daily amount of folates. Folates are particularly important before and during pregnancy to help prevent birth defects such as spina bifida. (source)

8. Contains High Levels of Vitamin C
Okra pods have provide around 36% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps boost your immune system leaving you less susceptible to coughs, colds and other minor infections. (source)

9. Contains High Levels of Vitamin B
I feel like I’m listing off the alphabet of vitamins here but okra is really packed with nutrients - vitamins included. B vitamins such as niacin, B6, thiamin and pantothenic acid are important for energy.

10. Vitamin K
Vitamin K is involved in clotting, this means people who take blood thinning medicines must avoid okra due to interactions. For most others, however, okra is a great source for your daily intake of vitamin K and also contributes to bone strength. (source)

11. May Ease Asthma Symptoms
As I mentioned above, okra contains high levels of vitamin C. A study in Thorax found that intake of vitamin C protected against wheezing symptoms in childhood. Eating food high in vitamin C once or twice a week is enough to benefit in this way. (source)

12. Prevents Kidney Disease
A study in The Jilin Medical Journal found that patients who ate okra daily had lower signs of kidney damage. (source)

Okra is one of the best sources of calcium!

Depositphotos_86764906_l-2015.jpg

Cooking with Okra
Okra is a really versatile vegetable - it can be incorporated into your cooking in lots of ways. Here are some ideas:

Stew okra under low heat with other vegetables
Deep or shallow fry in oil
Pickle okra to preserve
Eat raw in salads
Steam the pods and eat as a side dish
Roast and grind, mix with coffee beans to make flavourful coffee

trencherman

Reaction score
The Asian market close to where I live imports fresh okra from Fiji in the seasons that local okra or from nearby producers is not available. The whole year round though, frozen ones from Egypt, India and China are always available. The Egyptian ones are short and stubby, almost like green acorns.

If you grow them, the really young ones are extra tasty, an even better sub for baby corn. I have okra once a week, as part of my Asian veggie mélange, eggplant, string beans, bitter melon and deep yellow squash. Slightly cooked in a tight sealing pot with a bit of coconut milk and some protein such as shrimps or fried pork belly.

trencherman

Reaction score
Mapo Tofu noodle soup from scratch.

plus one and half of these apples pies also from scratch

Last edited:

pointguy36

Reaction score
The Asian market close to where I live imports fresh okra from Fiji in the seasons that local okra or from nearby producers is not available. The whole year round though, frozen ones from Egypt, India and China are always available. The Egyptian ones are short and stubby, almost like green acorns.

If you grow them, the really young ones are extra tasty, an even better sub for baby corn. I have okra once a week, as part of my Asian veggie mélange, eggplant, string beans, bitter melon and deep yellow squash. Slightly cooked in a tight sealing pot with a bit of coconut milk and some protein such as shrimps or fried pork belly.

As a "Yankee" (from the Northern US for those outside of the US!), I always thought okra was just a "southern" thing. I was not aware that it was popular in Asian cultures as well...learn something new every day here at GH!! =)

Last edited:

trencherman

Reaction score
Spicy beef noodle soup. Bottom half is all spinach topped with shirataki noodles for a no-carbs supper.

trencherman

Reaction score
Dessert for Easter, mélange of pandan flavoured jello, lychee, strands of young coconut and jack fruit dressed with custard sauce.

ss1258

Reaction score
Tonight I decided to make a very simple pasta.