• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Gay teen suicides and the "It Gets Better" campaign...

JonnyFantastico

Super Vip
Reaction score
This has been a sad week in the lives of gay youth...

As of today in the news, four young teens from the ages of 12 to 19 have all committed suicide after being bullied or tormented in one form or another because of their sexuality. The latest victim, a 19-year-old from New York City was found in the waters surrounding the George Washington Bridge after finding out he was filmed having sex and having it put online. Click here for that story.

The news on these suicides came to light earlier this week when Asher Brown; a 13-year-old shot himself in the head after being tormented by his classmates after coming out. That story can be found here.

It breaks my heart and brings tears to my eyes when I hear stories like this. Four teens, barely starting life; have ended their lives because of such negativity and hatred over who they are. I'm actually fighting back tears now as I type this out.

But, sometimes one voice can help.

Columnist Dan Savage and celebrity blogger Perez Hilton, who usually goes back and forth over the line have both stepped up and created the "It Gets Better" campaign; a set of videos recorded by many gay (and gay-friendly) celebrities taking the time out of their schedules to talk to these young people finding their way and giving them a simple message that can help: it gets better. You can find out more by going to his site. I'm actually considering doing one myself (Perez has also asked non-celebrities to do videos as well, which is probably the best thing: sometimes a voice who isn't famous can have a huge pull on another person).

I just wanted to share this with you GH members and see what your thoughts were on this. I've been through a lot of pain growing up as a gay male and while it was a rough road, I believe I'm a stronger person because of this... it does get better and it starts with you and I. My sincerest condolences go out to the family, friends and loved ones of the people who have passed.

To everyone out there who thinks life is tough growing up gay... I do say this: it DOES get better... if anyone ever needs to talk, you know where my inbox is.

Loads of love, respect and strength,
Jonny Fantastico :heart:

Last edited:
W

wildchild

Isnt it so annoying? I hate hearing about these stories of gay teen suicides, murders, deaths in general, it makes me so angry.

The people committing these crimes have no empathy and understanding for those affected.

It's also hard when gay teens don't have the support or mental aptitude to deal with these situations.

M

martin1965

Let's Stop Gay Kid's From Being Bullied...!

Reading stories like this just make me sick.... Everyday I hear the same God awefull new's everyday, and it never seems to end....
Our school's know that this kind of bullying happens and yet they let in go on and on... I think we need to hold school's more responsable for letting things like this happen.
Are kid's should not have to go to school living in fear....

This is so very sad....

Last edited:

zach

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the statistics in the U.S., but in the U.K. suicide is the second biggest killer of young men. As someone who still stuggles with depression and being gay, I think it's important to say things can get better, and there's always people out there willing to listen and help.

garwin

Reaction score
I've been closeted most of my life and damn near killed myself a few times (once deliberately). I'm older now, married with kids and out to my wife- and only to some very close friends. My heart is broken over these young people. But I also recognize that my fear and closeted-ness have only contributed to a greater atmosphere of fear and shame. I am moved to open my closet door ever wider. There is no shame in being human. Thanks for the message Jonny.

sephreniax2

Reaction score
I think that what has happened is horrible. I think what Dan Savage and all those celebrities are trying to do is horrible. I think that society as a whole has FAILED all of these young men. But I don't think this is just a question of orientation. It's about bullying.

People are bullied all the time for a variety of reasons; weight, gender, race, religion, orientation, etc. I know that I was a fat kid in grade school and that was how people saw me. The fat kid. And this is where our parents, teachers, mentors, and anybody above us fails. They attach this face or word to a problem and forget to address the root issue.

I don't know how everybody else sees it, but the key problem in my eyes is bullying. And I think it's sad that we had to see all these gay youths die and slap a "gay issue" sticker on the topic to rally support for it.

drn2001

Reaction score
It Gets Better

I grew up and came of age in the 1970's and have been a gay activist for much of my life. it is unfortunate that some 40 years later, despite the advances that have been made in the us and canada and other places in the world that there is such a large stigma attached to being gay, particularly in some of the most progressive places. tolerance is not enough; we need to work with our families, our friends and our schools to continue to educate. it is great to see a glbt presence on tv that goes beyond sensationalism.

here's a link to the it gets better project:
http://www.youtube.com/user/itgetsbetterproject.

josh_the_hot_boy

1-800-DIAL-A-FUCK
Reaction score
People Tell us that "It will get better" and yes that's true but when will it get better 1-2 months down the road maybe a year. Sometimes the hope of things getting better isn't enough. Those who are in pain now need our help now. It is the now that is important. because if you can't survive the now then the future won't matter. Sometimes its hard to survive in the now. The hope of things getting better isn't enough. It can't ease the pain your feeling now. If someone can't survive the now then they won't want to wait till the future. Sometimes it doesn't get better at least not in time. My experience with suicide is that time isn't abundant. People need to get help now before its too late. This "It will get better campaign" is great but now is the most important time. The future won't matter if their not here to see it.

ritsuka

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Everyone should also check out the Make It Better project--giving young people and adults the tools needed to work together to make things better for LGBT people in their schools and communities right now.

Last edited:

Electric_XII

Reaction score
Brandon Bitner Memorial

rotating.php

Remembering Brandon and continuing his fight against bullying.

:'(​

Last edited by a moderator:

Electric_XII

Reaction score
NJ School District Did Nothing While Kid Spent 6 Years Humiliated And Having His Life Threatened

"In a scathing indictment of New Jersey's Emerson School District, the state's attorney general Paula Dow says administrators there for six years ignored the obvious anti-gay bullying of student "'J.C." And she wants blood.

From middle through high school, J.C. was physically assaulted, had his life threatened (with kids telling him they'd slit his throat and shoot him at school), and regularly taunted with gay slurs. Drawings of J.C. performing gay sex acts were circulated among students. A faux Facebook profile was set up that identified J.C. as "female" and listed his sexual orientation as "unknown." J.C.'s parents complained to the school at least 17 times, but not once were the parents of the bullies ever contacted by the school, the complaint says, nor were the students punished in any meaningful way..."