• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Gay men 'can be identified by their Facebook friends

greekhot

Reaction score
I cannot see why this is a problem??Most of you guys have come out, right??So you won't have a problem If one realizes that you are gay through that procedure...In any case, If one hasn't come out it is quite easy...make an anonymous profile and add your gay friends on that one, nobody could then tell who you are and nobody would care for you being gay...:)

GG89

Reaction score
I also don't have any gay friends on Facebook (that I know of), the problem is that in my family and friend circle it seems like there aren't any (out) gay people, which seems impossible and is a bit frustrating.

jmhollin

Reaction score
I always thought the giveaway was not having "Interested in Women" displayed, but so far nobody's called me on it.

I figured that would be the case too, but as with you, nobody's called me on it yet. I have 15 gay friends, but only 6 that say they are gay on FB. I wonder if the program would peg me appropriately.

jmhollin

Reaction score
Lol I see this "research" as a kind of hidden expression of hatred toward gays - with an intention to keep intimidating gay people.
It wants to send out a message: Gays should be afraid of their friends. They should live in constant fear of being revealed. They should keep hiding themselves in closets...
That's the message of this "research" - as how I see it.

I disagree. We don't know the intentions of those involved in this study. They may well have been homosexuals themselves. Homosexuals and heterosexuals alike have always been intrigued by attempting to find out what someone's sexual orientation is. I know I go through my Facebook friends trying various ways to find out if they are gay. It's human nature. Will this cause fear for some? Yes, but so does going to a gay bar or a chick flick at the theater with their male friend. But, all in the closet gays are constantly worried about being "found out".

newage

Super Vip
Reaction score
lol just to revitalized this, i left my "interests" option open for the longest time, and i never changed it. No one has yet to call me upon it....but i'd prolly be very frank with them! O and besides that i only have one gay person on fb, but even he hasn't officially come out...and is more a peer than anything.

taha838

Reaction score
I just try to figure out, how their research worked? Did they apply their software and later ask the relevant persons (who did not mention their sexual orientation in their profil) if the would kindly tell them if they're gay. Sounds like a serious study indeed ;-)

teencarrot

Reaction score
I can definately see some truth to that. Not in all cases, but I see it as something that could be...sayyyyy 60% accurate, to say the least.

GSucker

Reaction score
wouldn't work on me either. most of my straight friends would have more gay people on their friends list.

Ecclesies

Reaction score
I might be alone here, but I have a problem with this. Lets assume "John" is closeted (but still has some gay friends on his FB). Does this mean that anyone who gets their hands on the program can now go snooping through their Facebook for their orientation?

The very premise on which this "study," I consider to be absolutely absurd. If you are willing to invest in a program designed to "out" people (or find out who is gay at the very least), then why do we still have such things as DADT? Furthermore, why do you take it upon yourself to "expose" people for essentially, whom they choose to befriend. The entire thing really does show that perhaps these people are taking the exactly WRONG turn after the recent suicide events. If one desires privacy, then they should be entitled to that privacy, provided it isn't illegal. This sends the message that: "If you are not out: we are going to find you anyways. We don't have a legitimate reason for doing so (does curiosity count?), but we don't care because it's in the name of 'science'."

Wrong move, society.....wrong move.

*Conversely, I could see a use for this, but the availability should be heavily monitored and generally restricted to GLBT Center administrators and (Gay) suicide watch programs and only as a measure to prevent violence and suicide (however that translates)

If not, then I see bashers getting their hands on it, scanning profiles and then systematically harassing people. Even with the given margin of error, you still have to go through scrutiny, and have that suspicion someone can exploit what you desired to keep, and what you thought was personal.

Last edited:

dummaque

Reaction score
I am actually amazed that this is considered newsworthy- gay people are more likely to know other gay people? HOW GROUND BREAKING! Next thing you know, they'll be saying that people with lots of black folk on their friends list tend to be black, or people with lots of liberal friends tend to be liberal. People with lots of engineer friends on facebook tend to be...wait for it... CRUSTACEANS! Damnit, I meant engineers!

People tend to sort themselves into groups that reflect SOME aspect of themselves.

Electric_XII

Reaction score
Homosexual men can be identified just by looking at their Facebook friends, according to unpublished research by two students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The study found that it was possible to predict men's sexual orientation by analysing the gender and sexuality of their contacts on the social networking site – even if the rest of the information on their profile is set to private.

The small-scale survey indicates that people who believe they have discreet online habits may still be making personal information about themselves public.

As part of the study the researchers Carter Jernigan and Behram Mistree scanned the Facebook friends of more than 1,500 fellow students who indicated their sexual orientation – straight, gay or bisexual – on their profiles.

This analysis revealed that homosexual men had proportionally more gay friends than straight men, allowing the students to devise a computer programme to predict the sexual orientation of other Facebook users based solely on the sexualities of their friends.

They ran this programme on 10 men who were known to be homosexual but did not reveal this information on their profiles. In each case, the software correctly identified the men to be gay.

“When they first did it, it was absolutely striking – we said, ‘Oh my God – you can actually put some computation behind that,’ ” Hal Abelson, a MIT computer science professor, told the Boston Globe.

“That pulls the rug out from a whole policy and technology perspective that the point is to give you control over your information – because you don’t have control over your information.”

In total the researchers ran their software on 947 people who did not disclose their sexual orientation on their profiles, but it failed to accurately identify lesbians or bisexuals of either gender.

Jernigan and Mistree say they are attempting to get their study, titled Gaydar, published in a scientific journal.

what bullshit

Wow. Facebook phrenology...

Hey! I just used software to find the M.I.T. comedy team of:

41674_700146_3536_n.jpg

Jernigan and Mistree

jeansGuyOZ

Smartarse from Down Under
Reaction score
Who would have believed it? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

For some reason the finding that gay men have proportionately more gay friends than straight men fails to astonish me.