• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

How to come out...

alex123

Reaction score
I am still "in the closet"...and i dont know how to tell my family and friends that I'm gay!

Any tips or suggestions? ;)

Thanks, Alex

parucci

Streamer
Reaction score
I am in the same situation as you.

I'm so frustrated. :l

Dendood

Reaction score
If you're not comfortable with the direct method, there's always the indirect method...

You could leave some gay literature laying about where they would find it.
Or mention you're going out with some gay friends. "Wish me luck."
Or write something expressing your conflicted nature about telling them you're gay and let them 'find' that.
Or bring home someone you care about. They'll get the hint.

I did not have a direct conversation with anyone in my family. We grew up where the discussion of personal matters or sex never came up. Gay or straight. Eventually they will figure it out. More than likely, they're not as clueless as you might think.

Go with the person(s) you'd feel most comfortable with. Once they know, they'll spare you of having to tell everyone. Word WILL travel. -Fast.

If there's a risk of drama, the thing to keep in mind is "It gets better." You don't have to resolve the topic RIGHT THIS MINUTE. It has been a hot button issue for thousands of years. So don't expect a quick resolution. It may take some time for them to abandon what dreams they've built into their own mind on how your life's course should go. Sometimes its not easy to give that up. The best way to bring it to a place of peace is to be at peace with yourself. Lead by example.

Heck, your example may end up bringing other relatives out of the closet as well.

S

Sinnerr

This frustration is terrible I know I was in same situation. But universal advice how to do it succesful doesn't exist. Your part of this is just tell "I'm gay". You can tell it strickly by one sentence. Or you can recite prepared essey. (The second one is maybe a little bit better). If you are afraid to tell it face to face you may write a letter and left it on some visible place when you won't at home. Second part of succesful coming out is up to your family and friends. If you are not independent (if you live with parents, if they pay your studies) have some backup plan what to do if it would be fiasco. Or wait on.

Good luck guys.

cacc

GayHeaven's Hottie
Reaction score
I personally never intend on "coming out", I'd rather not be disowned by the whole family at this time.

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
I personally never intend on "coming out", I'd rather not be disowned by the whole family at this time.

Coming out can carry a high price tag in some cultures. It is wise to tally up the risks - the change in relationship, financial impact, maybe even physical danger depending on where you are.

But you have to weigh that against the risks of the alternative - lying to those you care about you and spending a lifetime pretending to be straight.

I won't repeat myself (for long time forum readers who have heard me go on and on about this over the years) - but new members can catch up here in my response to Octass in 2011.

I am still "in the closet"...and i dont know how to tell my family and friends that I'm gay! Any tips or suggestions? ...

It sounds like you have made the decision to come out (or are at least seriously considering it), and you are looking for practical "how-to" advice. So, here are

TopDog's coming out tips ;)

Don't focus on the short term; Play the long game

Your goal is to live your life as who you really are. You will have strong relationships because you don't have anything to hide. Not everyone is going to like you; not everyone is going to agree with you. So what? That's life.

Coming out can make things uncomfortable. It certainly is no fun to tell people you love that you have been pretending to be something you are not. And sometimes family won't take this well. Things can be very awkward for a while.

But this is the quickest way to get to the life you want where you can love and be loved for who you are. That's the goal - no matter how bumpy it gets focus on getting to be the open person you want to be.

It's not about you

I know it can feel like you are suddenly stepping into the spotlight and revealing this deep, dark secret in front of the people closest to you. But that's not what coming out is about. You've had your time questioning and figuring things out. You have resolved your issue. You've already made the adjustment.

It's all about them

You don't come out to make yourself more comfortable. You do it so the people you love can know you better and stay close to you. This is an act of courtesy and respect for them - to show them how much you love and trust them. This is an opportunity to make these relationships better.

For some people this may be the first time they have come face to face someone they love being homosexual. For them, you are taking them by the hand and helping them take the first step on a journey of knowledge and discovery that may take them a while to resolve - months or even years. So you do everything possible to make this step as clear and respectful as possible.

Here is an analogy. I admit, its negative, but bear with me because I think the emotional illustration is helpful. Let's say you find out you have cancer. It could be fatal, but maybe not, and your doctors have worked out a treatment plan for you. You had a hard time dealing with this news, but after a couple of weeks, with the help and patience of good friends, you have accepted it and embraced the new focus of your life.

Now you need to tell your parents. Is it their business? No. Do they have a say in it? No. Is there anything they can do to change it? No.

You tell them because you want them to know sooner rather than later, and you want to be able for them to participate in your life as it now is. You don't want to pretend that everything is the same as before. You know they care for you and they would want to know, even if the news was bad and hard to deal with. And you want to make it easier for them to deal with, if possible.

That's what the coming out conversation with your family is like. You are focusing on them and their needs at the moment, because you have dealt with your issues, for the time being. You know this may not be easy, so you want to be there for them with answers to basic questions and maybe some ideas for people they might be able to talk to or books to read to learn more about being the parent of a gay child. There is nothing they can do to change it - this is just a fact of their life the way it is.

You can't control how they react to the news

Your responsibility is to tell them. They are responsible for how they react and you can't control that. Let it happen. Good or bad, let them react. Know that their initial reaction won't last - in a year you will all be in a very different place, and it will likely be much better for all of you. Remember - you are playing the long game. There may be some short-term pain and chaos. But you are setting them up for a good relationship with you for the rest of your lives.

Build a support system

If possible, tell someone else in the family first. Find an ally. Pick the person you think will hear this and still love and respect you - a sibling if possible. Give them a little bit of time to have several conversations with you, but not so much time that it becomes awkward that they know and your parents don't. This gives you a trial run; a bit of practice to build up your confidence. And if you feel like you need it, ask them to come with you to have the discussion.

If you don't have someone in your family that fits the bill, then practice by telling a few friends that have known you for a long time. You want to have a network of support to back you up , strengthen and comfort you if things don't go well.

The medium is the message

We live in an age of instant communication. We have so many options. Let's look at some and how they work for delivering this message.

• In person - absolutely the best way to have this conversation. First, it works best technically because you can read all the body language (and they can see yours) and tailor the tone and message to the situation. Second, when you take the time to go there and sit down face to face with them it says that they are very important to you, you respect them, and want to do whatever you can to cross over this bridge.
  • Letter / e-mail - Sometimes the distance makes it impossible to do this in person. A letter is your next best option. It has the advantage of allowing you to carefully compose what you want to say. Further suggestions: follow up the letter with a short phone call to say that you care about them and set up a time in a couple of days for a longer phone discussion. If they want to talk more in that first call, that's fine. The point is don't put them on the spot right after they get the letter to have some kind of statement - give them time to digest. But at the same time, you want to quickly let them have a word with "the new you". Don't hide behind the letter and wait for them to bring it up. Have the courage to show your face and stand behind your words. Another suggestion: a good old-fashioned letter give a feeling of importance that an e-mail can't quite convey.
  • Phone call - when distance is involved this is the most common method. There's nothing wrong with a phone call - it's just often harder to get what you want across. You don't have the actual presence and body language of an in-person visit, and you don't have the time to get it "just right" as in composing a letter. But while the phone conversation isn't as good at dealing with the nuances, it does have the advantage of immediacy. There is no waiting for a letter to be read.
    If you are going to come out over the phone - say your piece, but don't put your parents on the spot to immediately come up with an official response or approval. Assume they are going to need some time to process this. Ask them open ended questions like "What are you feeling right now?", rather than direct "So, are you OK with this?" Ask to schedule a time for a follow up phone call where they can ask questions that they can't articulate just yet.
  • Text / Facebook / Voice Mail - No. Just, no. You don't throw people a curve like this in a text message. Voice mail is the coward's way out. And Facebook - well a Facebook post may be fine for letting old school classmates or friends or friends know about your new status. But people who love you should be given individual care, not informed by a casual note to the world-at-large.

What to say

Every conversation is different. Even when you tell different people in your life you will tailor the message for them. Here are some things to think about.

• Get to the point fast - A big build up just makes people nervous. Get the news out on the table, and then you can see how they react and pull in other information.
  • Emphasize why you are telling them - you respect them and trust them with knowing who you really are. You don't want to lie or pretend things are different just to make life easy.
  • Maybe give them a sense of your struggle - This hasn't been easy for you to come to terms with. You might share a little of your journey, how different things have made you feel.
  • Ask open ended questions - See if you can get them to talk a little bit about what they are feeling or what this means to them.
  • Be prepared with answers - What questions do you think they may ask? Are there religious issues? Are they worried about AIDS? Are you seeing someone? Have some answers ready so you are not completely caught off guard.
  • Give them a next step - Schedule another time to talk; it might be later in the day, or in a few days. Don't dump this on them and then wait for them to contact you. This conversation is just the first of many.
  • Try to line up some resources - PFLAG (parents and friends of gays and lesbians) is a great group dedicated to parents and families who are in your parents position. Take a look at their website (pflag.org). Talk to parents of your gay friends who have already been through the experience. Ask them for advice. Ask if they would be willing to talk to your parents if they have questions.

What if it goes badly?

Some people have religious convictions that tell them that homosexuality is bad. Other people are just ignorant and have put down gays all their lives. (The worst case is when they are in both categories.) You must already have some sense whether this will be a big issue.

• Maybe you shouldn't tell them - If you think you may be physically threatened, or thrown out of the house - then it might be better to leave things as they are until you can support yourself. I know, after all I have said about being honest, etc. - but you need to be able to handle the possibility that in the worst case, you might be thrown out. Now, if you are 40 years old, that is no big deal. But if you are 18 and dependent on your family for support, that is another story. Your safety comes first.
  • If you follow the same religious teaching as your parents then share how you have come to terms with this. Let them know that you have seriously worked through this. Be ready for them to quote scripture to you. Do your homework and have a response.
  • Have an escape plan - If things get too heavy, call a time out. Tell them you will give them some time and then you can talk some more. Get out of there; walk out the door and have somewhere to go.
  • Have your friends ready to support you - Let them know that "tonight is the night". Arrange to check in with them afterward.

Whatever happens, remember that this is just the beginning. You are not going to accomplish everything in one meeting. It took you years, probably, to completely come to terms with your sexuality. Give your family the same time to deal with this.

I know that there is a lot here - just pick and choose the parts that seem useful to you.

Wishing you love and peace - TD

Last edited:
S

Sinnerr

Matter what every gay deals with in his life and fucking brilliant post from Mr. Topdog - thats why this thread is sticked now! :D

cacc

GayHeaven's Hottie
Reaction score
Coming out can carry a high price tag in some cultures. It is wise to tally up the risks - the change in relationship, financial impact, maybe even physical danger depending on where you are.

But you have to weigh that against the risks of the alternative - lying to those you care about you and spending a lifetime pretending to be straight.

Brilliant post. For the part regarding me, you're right, there are drawbacks no matter what. For me right now the negatives outweigh the positives, right now I'm in preparations to move away from all family and friends and start fresh someplace else, once I'm away from everything and secure in my new place maybe then I'll be comfortable with it.

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
I want to add some real world experience. I have been watching the YouTube channel of Russ - Your Favorite Gay Marine for the last year. In that time, he has come out to his mother and his father. His boyfriend has also come out to his parents. Every one of these experiences he has shared on YouTube. It's been an amazing journey. (His boyfriend proposed to him last month and a friend video taped the surprise and Russ posted it.)

Anyway - here is Russ coming out to his mother, live on camera. (September 2012)

Here he is interviewing his mom a month after they had their first discussion. (November 2012)

Here is Russ talking about the conversation with his father - which did not go well at all. (January 2013)

Three months later he got a text from his father. (April 2013)

Feel free to browse through his other videos.

Last edited:

hhindd

Reaction score
Thankyou so much for this info & approach.
Coming out feels like you are holding a live hand-grenade, the pin's out & you have to hand it to someone or through it into the sitting room with the family innocently watching TV.

ABUK

Reaction score
I also think there are a lot of drawbacks no matter what, someone mentio0ned by phone, that's how I did it. It caused a big problem then things calmed down. It's never going to be the same for any two people. If you have to go threw it I wish you luck!

Seiji

Reaction score
It's really hard... I'm 22 and still on the 'closet'.. "/

kyrosman

Reaction score
I'm still in the process, already came out to my youngest sister (22) and she's been nothing but supportive. A few more to go. It may be rainy but also could become a beautiful day.

bonneguy

Reaction score
Right everyone's situation will be different so consider all the suggestions and see which ones fit yours the best. I appreciate everyone's opinion. I'm in an LTR with a woman who would not appreciate knowing that her man likes other men. I'm not out there meeting other men. Sites like this are my way of satisfying my desires without actually acting on them in person. I don't know if I'll ever come out, but at least I can learn how to prepare for it by reading about the experiences and suggestions of others who have gone through it already. Peace and sunshine to you all!!