• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Trudeau, MPs send messages to man who received homophobic Valentine

james1981

Reaction score
This is such a sweet story. It's a situation where you have a person who receives a terrible, homophobic card, and who comes to the rescue? The Prime Minister and several Members of Parliament. This really does help to make a difference!

Anon URL

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has penned a personal message to an Edmonton man who received a homophobic Valentine’s card.

Degas Sikorski received a card at work on Valentine’s Day with the word “faggot” written on it. Sikorski, who has been openly gay since he was 14, told Global News he was stunned by the hateful language.

READ MORE: ‘My jaw hit the floor’: Edmonton man in disbelief after receiving homophobic Valentine’s card

His story went viral and caught the attention of Edmonton Centre MP Randy Boissonnault.

Boissonnault said he sat in the House of Commons, trying to figure out how to show his support to Sikorski.

“I said, ‘Well Degas has allies. I’m an ally. These colleagues are allies. The prime minister is an ally.’ I texted my team ‘Please find a very nice Valentine’s card and bring it to the House,’” Boissonnault said.

The member of parliament signed the card before getting others to do the same.

Newfoundland MP Seamus O’Regan and Treasury Board President Scott Brison, who are both openly gay, wrote messages. So did Minister of Democratic Institutions Maryam Monsef and Minister of Status of Women Patty Hajdu.

But the message that left him speechless was written by none other than Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“Dear Degas, know that your friends outnumber the haters by the millions and I’m one of those friends,” reads the message from Trudeau."

“I want to give him a hug. I’m just shell-shocked about Justin Trudeau signing it,” Sikorski said.

“Living in Edmonton, so far away from Ontario, you never picture hearing anything personal from the prime minister. To know that he has my back is beautiful.”

Shelley Sikorski, Degas’s mother, said she was stunned when Boissonnault’s office reached out to set up a meeting, and even more so when she saw the card.

“There’s no comparison. That was hate. This is pure love,” she said.

Boissonnault delivered the card to Sikorski during a brunch meeting on Saturday. He also brought along photographic evidence of the prime minister writing the note.

“I told him the story. [Trudeau] said, ‘That’s not right. Let’s write that young man a message.’ We went into his office. He sat down and signed this card,” Boissonnault said.

“As soon as I explained the story, people were like, ‘Where’s that paper? Where’s the card? How do I sign?’ Ministers and parliamentary secretaries and MP colleagues were thoughtful. People have seen this happen in their own lives. Nobody should be experiencing that kind of behaviour at work.”

Sikorski no longer works at Party City, the store where the incident unfolded. The company did not respond to multiple requests from Global News about their investigation into the hateful message, whether anyone had been disciplined or whether it would establish more sensitivity training for employees around LGBTQ issues.

While he did initially file a police complaint, Sikorski said he has since dropped it because he does not want the person or persons responsible to get a criminal record. However, he said he will be filing a human rights complaint.

Sikorski said his life has been a whirlwind since the initial incident but that things have since settled.

Boissonnault, who came out in his late 20s, said Sikorski’s experience with the Valentine’s card resonated with him.

“I remember being outed painfully by people. I could empathize with what [Sikorski] might be feeling by receiving an attack like that in the workplace,” he said.

“You’re just you and you’re awesome for being you. Why should anybody attack Degas for who he is in the workplace or anywhere else? It’s just not acceptable.”

Dr. Kristopher Wells, faculty director of the Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services at the University of Alberta, said companies need to be proactive rather than reactive when dealing with LGBTQ issues in the workplace.

“They need to: number one, have clear non-discrimination policies in place; they need to provide training for their employees and what they need to be doing is celebrating diversity and getting out into the community,” he said.

Wells said businesses that are not inclusive may find themselves losing customers, which is why greater education for employees is critical.

“Traditionally, when we think about diversity training or cultural sensitivity, it leaves out the LGBT piece, which is a problem. This is an invisible minority.”

As for Sikorski, he is now focusing on his schoolwork and looking ahead to volunteer opportunities within the LGBTQ community.

He is also holding on tightly to the messages from the prime minister, cabinet ministers and other politicians in Ottawa.

“I’m speechless. I have so much love for everyone who has been supportive this whole way.”

Brings a tear to my eye.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
The world needs more primeministers like this.

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Trudeau has all this compassion and he is jaw-droppingly gorgeous to boot?

I wonder if it hurt?... when he fell down from heaven :D

This man is a shining example of what a politician should be. His leadership is as pure as it gets.

Camelot here we come.

I've made up my mind. I'm voting for Justin Trudeau for President of the United States this November!

If only that were a possibility.

Thank you james for posting this story :big hug: