• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Ukrainian LGBT Leader, Taras Karasiichuk, Seeks U.S. Asylum

Status
Not open for further replies.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Ukrainian LGBT Leader, Taras Karasiichuk, Seeks U.S. Asylum
TheDailyBeast| By Randy R. Potts | 09.30.155:50 PM ET

2158420130d039de5e5f461d473371dfbbd003f1.jpg

Taras Karasiichuk and his partner Mykola Maslov

SANCTUARY

After suffering years of violent attacks and intimidation, the principal leader of the Ukrainian LGBT community is too frightened to return home.

Taras Karasiichuk, principal leader of the Ukrainian LGBT community, says that although things might be better for LGBT people now than they were 11 years ago when the movement first began, he has been forced to seek asylum in the U.S.

Karasiichuk told The Daily Beast he’s suffered a concussion, a broken jaw, and long term emotional and psychological injury over the last 4 years.

According to Karasiichuk, threats against his life continue to pour in on social media—and even, at times, his cell phone. He says he doesn’t see any alternative but to seek asylum.

“Right now I don’t see any possibility to come back because of security—all the threats we get because of our international campaign,” he said.

“We get threats sent to our LGBT rights website, promises to punish us with Kalashnikovs. It’s difficult to say if they are really serious about the threats but after all the times I’ve been attacked I can’t really be sure.

“I also get threats on social networks. My colleagues and I at the rights organization will even get threats sent to our personal cell phone. And on June 19 there was an attempt to attack me on my way home from the office—it was around 7 pm and I had to call a taxi and leave quickly.”

The history of the LGBT movement in Ukraine is short, and Karasiichuk has been involved every step of the way.

Beginning in 2005, he started working with LGBT friends in Kiev to create awareness; in 2009, they founded the Gay Alliance Ukraine and chose him as the leader. After holding private LGBT awareness events each year in June, the Kiev LGBT community decided it was time to stage the country’s first Pride parade in 2012.

21584252b7bc9638912dc5397d1f66bd07e24fa4.jpg

However, because of threats, plans for the public march were aborted and, in the months following the 2012 Pride events he’d helped coordinate, Karasiichuk told the Daily Beast he was attacked three times—in June directly after Pride, in December while leaving a gay night club, and in February on the street while on his way home from work.

From this series of attacks, Karasiichuk says he sustained a concussion and a broken jaw. The Daily Beast asked several times for more specific details about these events and the recent attack on June 19: what did the attackers look like, how many of them were there, where did they come from. Karasiichuk simply answered, again, that he was attacked multiple times and was left more and terrified after each event.

Due to continuing threats, Karasiichuk says he was forced to change his address in Kiev several times until he finally moved to Lviv on Ukraine’s western border in 2013.

He stayed in Lviv during Kyiv’s 2013 Pride—the first successful public march, guarded by over 1,000 police—and Pride wasn’t held in 2014 because of the Ukrainian revolution.

In spite of continuing threats online, Karasiichuk was back on the streets this June in the 2015 Pride parade.

The 2015 “March of Equality” in June of this year was hailed as the first successful Pride since the revolution, but it was also attacked by thugs just as the parade disbanded.

Kiev’s mayor, Vitaly Klitschko, had initially refused to provide police or logistical support, but ultimately directed 1,500 police to protect several hundred LGBT marchers in a far-flung suburban

The 20-minute march itself may have been a success but its aftermath was bloody: Far Right protesters violently attacked the marchers as they tried to make their way home, even tossing nail-studded firecrackers and sending one policeman to the hospital.

In the aftermath, Karasiichuk was forced to hide in a nearby post office as thugs chased many of his friends through the streets.

Though the far right has had a recent resurgence in Ukraine—including an attack by Svoboda on national guardsmen in front of the parliament building in Kiev—it’s difficult to establish whether this has made it more difficult for LGBT people in the country.

In the last elections, far right parties only garnered 1.5% of the vote, and the thugs who attacked after the 2015 Pride in Kiev were not openly aligned with any party.

Regardless, those thugs—whether they are aligned with political parties are not—are a big problem for LGBT people in Ukraine and continue to harass every place LGBT people openly gather.

Karasiichuk and his partner Mykola Maslov decided to take a break this summer, accepting an invitation to New York City, and the couple spent their first few days in town celebrating with the local Russian and Ukrainian émigré community.

They marched along Christopher Street with RUSA LGBT last June in a much different Pride parade—one that celebrated marriage equality, one of the U.S. LGBT rights movement’s biggest wins yet. The contrast could not have been more stark.

Karasiichuk and Maslov stayed on in the U.S. and, in late July, tied the knot at New York’s City Hall, still planning to return to Ukraine even though their marriage, legal in every state in the U.S., would not be recognized back in Kiev. The ceremony was covered by the New York Times.

However, last week in a post in Ukrainian to the Gay Alliance Ukraine website Karasiichuk gave up his 6-year leadership post and stated he would be seeking asylum in the U.S.:

“As of mid-September, I cease to be Executive Director of the Ukrainian organization “Gay Alliance of Ukraine” and I have alerted the Chairman of the Board, Stanislav Naumenko, in a written statement.

“Reason: Due to my absence out of the country I can not adequately perform my duties. And, more news (although for some that’s not news): my husband and I are staying in the United States and will begin the process of obtaining political asylum.”

The Daily Beast talked to Karasiichuk about his 11-year fight for LGBT rights in Ukraine, and his decision to seek asylum in the U.S.

The Daily Beast: What does the timeline of your LGBT rights involvement in Ukraine look like?

Karasiichuk: “I’ve been involved in the Ukrainian LGBT movement since 2005. But the more active stage began in 2009 in prevention programs. Then, in 2012, I founded the organizing committee to hold Kyiv Pride.

“The first Kyiv Pride was in 2012 but the parade itself was canceled. But in general, all the other Pride events [in private, often-secret locations] were successfully held. Pride is not only a rally, it’s a series of events as well.

“Then, I had to move to Lviv [on the western edge of Ukraine] just to have a good opportunity to continue to work safely for Kyiv Pride in 2013.”

Is Lviv safer for LGBT people?

“No, it was just a completely new city and was a new environment, so there was much more safety because I was in a new apartment and no one knew about my involvement.

“But, following all the attacks in 2012 and 2013, I sustained deep emotional and psychological trauma and spent several years recovering.

“This year, however, we had a lot of security to protect us, but the security plan wasn’t very good because it was made without contacting the LGBT organizing committee. An offer was made to hold the rally in an unsuitable place, and the police really didn’t make a good plan for transport after the rally.

“The biggest problem was in leaving—we had a lot of these right wing groups who were in this neighborhood who just waited for us after the rally. So, on our way home we were attacked.”

Were you surprised when Klitschko, the mayor of Kyiv, didn’t support Pride this year?

“No. Last year and this year Klitschko said it wasn’t the right time to hold Pride because of the war and because people didn’t have a good understanding.

“However, the government right now is not friendly but, at the same time, we don’t feel a threat from the government. The most difficult situation right now is the right wing groups, because after the revolution they’ve become much more powerful.

“They were legalized and now they are getting respect and support from the general population because of their involvement in the revolution. But they are ideologists—you understand what I mean—and for them gay people and the LGBT movement are, maybe not first, but at least the second enemy for the Far Right.”

Are you suggesting that, before the revolution, the previous leader (Victor Yanukovych) wasn’t friendly to LGBT people but kept groups like Pravy Sector under control. Now is it in some ways even more dangerous for LGBT people?

“Well, it is not only Pravy Sector, because Pravy Sector is only one of the right wing groups. In general, the former security service before the revolution kept the right wing movement better under control. But, at the same time, when Yanukovych was in power our rights movement was much less organized then it is now, so you can’t really compare.”

What situation led you to seek asylum?

“Mykola and I were invited to take part in NYC Pride. But, after more threats to attack me online, and what already happened in 2012 when my jaw was broken, I have a quite good experience as to what could happen. So, we have decided to live here in New York because of the threats from the Far Right groups which are now more powerful and organized.”

Have you formally requested asylum in America?

“Yes, we will make it this week with our lawyer and I hope that in one month we’ll have the official papers ready. You know that it takes some time to prepare all the documents, but our lawyer has already started to work on this with Human Rights First.”

Do you expect to be given asylum? How soon will you know?

“I hope, because I don’t have other options right now. I have heard examples of Ukrainians who have received asylum even without the troubles I’ve had, so I feel like there is hope. I don’t know how long it can take, but I have hope.”

What are you doing for work at the moment?

“My husband and I are working odd jobs, just temporary things to make money while we are staying here in New York.”

Are you sad to leave Ukraine?

“I’m not sad because I still love my country, and the LGBT movement. In Ukraine I had quite a good position at one of the biggest LGBT organizations in Eastern Europe. I had a good salary and a very interesting job.”

Do you see the violence against LGBT people lessening there?

“My husband’s relatives—even some of his friends—are very homophobic and heard about his activism through Ukrainian media, and it’s simply not safe. So, I don’t know, if your own family and friends aren’t supportive, I don’t know.

SOURCE

I hope he and his husband are granted asylum quickly.

Why isn't there a stream of LGBT 'refugees' being welcomed into Europe and the USA? Think of all the countries in the world where LGBT citizens are treated horribly by the government, religions and regular citizens. They are at great risk in many countries. Where is the outcry for them?

If the LGBT world population is less than 10% as it is now claimed to be around 1% to 3% the number of LGBT refugees would not be the colossal numbers of the current 'refugee' crisis being felt in Europe. Why aren't we sending a clear message to them that they are welcome and will be given asylum if they make to Europe or America?

#Gay Lives Matter

jazzeven

Banned
Reaction score
Why isn't there a stream of LGBT 'refugees' being welcomed into Europe and the USA? Think of all the countries in the world where LGBT citizens are treated horribly by the government, religions and regular citizens. They are at great risk in many countries. Where is the outcry for them?
There is, but they are called "syrians", "arabians", "russians", "serbians", "muslims", "africans" and sometimes "potential terrorists" in the news. They don't cross the sea in gay boats or form gay flocks, which is why they get identfied only on a more individual level, which depending on where they want to stay, can lead to embarrassing questions to verify their gayness.

bigsal

Super Vip
Reaction score
I have said many times in this forum and have also been harshly attacked.

There is not much difference between the fascists of Kiev and the fascists of Moscow.

One thing council Taras Karasiichuk. Do not ask for help to the United States, talk to another democratic state, because it knows even the stones that the US financing and support the fascists in Kiev.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
There is, but they are called "syrians", "arabians", "russians", "serbians", "muslims", "africans" and sometimes "potential terrorists" in the news. They don't cross the sea in gay boats or form gay flocks, which is why they get identfied only on a more individual level, which depending on where they want to stay, can lead to embarrassing questions to verify their gayness.

Please stop being obtuse. It is very unbecoming.

Of the millions of so called 'war refugees' from Syria and other 'African' and 'Muslim' countries how many are actually seeking asylum because they are 'LGBTQ' in your estimation?

I have yet to hear any politician publicly invite all who are seeking asylum from persecution for being LGBTQ with open welcoming arms in the way Ms. Merkel did.

All European leaders are aware of the treatment of LGBTQ citizens in Russia, China, Africa and every country governed by Islamic control. They know what is going on and are not in a big hurry to invite millions of Gays.

Exactly where would such Gay refugees go? Germany? From what I've read things are not entirely rosy for Gays in Germany and least of all Italy. Hmm, Germany, Italy... why does that sound familiar to me?

Anyway, jazzy, I don't mind if you pick every word I type apart and try to push buttons to get a rise in every discussion thread. It's become a regular thing. I do, however, take issue with your treatment of bigsal. I'm sure he is a big boy and can take care of himself but he has a minor disadvantage because English is not his first language. Your tactic of picking every word he types apart is really starting to 'push the wrong buttons'. Do us all a favor. Stop picking on bigsal before you embarrass yourself.

:)

Last edited:

jazzeven

Banned
Reaction score
I have yet to hear any politician publicly invite all who are seeking asylum from persecution for being LGBTQ with open welcoming arms in the way Ms. Merkel did.
The LGBTQ+X cause is included. I don't see why Merkel should point out each of the factors and I don't see the need to develop a ranking, whether starving to death, getting stoned for being gay, getting killed by a bomb, or getting beheaded by ISIS will grant you a better place on the waiting list. In fact I consider the practice of cynically weighting those factors of all at best a necessary evil when it comes to the final decision. The idea to elevate one group in order to dismiss the rights of the others on the other hand is inexcusably disgusting.
Exactly where would such Gay refugees go? Germany? From what I've read things are not entirely rosy for Gays in Germany and least of all Italy. Hmm, Germany, Italy... why does that sound familiar to me?
What an imaginative attempt of an insult... it really brings out your wit. Especially funny when it comes from someone who constantly spreads xenophobic and racist nonsense. The only thing someone like you would dislike about the Third Reich is that you did not have the chance to take part. But from what you are saying on these boards, I am convinced that the next time you will be onboard.
I do, however, take issue with your treatment of bigsal. I'm sure he is a big boy and can take care of himself but he has a minor disadvantage because English is not his first language.
Your tactic of picking every word he types apart is really starting to 'push the wrong buttons'. Do us all a favor. Stop picking on bigsal before you embarrass yourself.
Yes? How did I treat him? And where? The only thing I can remember is some minor exchange in which he defended ripping facts out of their context and was disappointed that I use more than three words for pointing that out. English isn't my first language either. But nonetheless I'd consider that a bad excuse to ignore the facts at hand to promote some simplified world view.
You would prefer the forum to be a place where shallow faggots wank each other off about how evil the church is and how people from the middle east want to behead everybody in their path. Sorry if I burst your little dumbed down filter bubble by mentioning actual facts.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
There you go. That's the jazzy I know and love. Xenophobic? Racist? Shallow Faggots? Dumbed Down? I think I may have touched a sensitive nerve.

Your comments here border on very personal attacks. You are pushing the limits as you always do. You are one of the most narrow minded people who participate in these discussions. Anyone who doesn't share your opinion is just asking for personal attacks from you.

Once again I'll bow out of this discussion and let you have it. There is no reason anyone with differing opinions need try to participate in any discussion with you. You are right, always.

:)

T

takeitall456

Thread Closed

A reminder to all :

All members are welcome to participate in these discussion threads. Everyone is entitled to state their opinions. We are all adults over the age of 18, please behave as such.

If everyone refrains from personal attacks, stays within the borders of the original topic, is considerate and respectful of other members and their opinions, there should be no reason to close threads in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.