• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Germany parliament passes equal marriage bill

Habukaz

Reaction score
German parliament passes equal marriage bill

http://anon.projectarchive.net/?htt...g-passes-bill-on-same-sex-marriage/a-39483785

The bill passed by 393 to 226, with four abstentions. Merkel herself voted against the bill, although her comments helped bring it about.

Volker Beck of the Green party, who has long advocated legalizing same-sex marriage, called the vote "a success for democracy," citing opinion polls showing that 80 percent of Germans were in favor of allowing homosexual couples to marry and adopt children.

The way was paved for a vote on Monday night when Merkel said she wanted the issue to become one of "conscience," suggesting that she would allow a free vote among her own divided party. Her Social Democrat rival for the role of chancellor, Martin Schulz, pounced on Merkel's comments the next day, advocating an immediate vote in parliament, before September's elections.
The bill was put on the agenda for the last day before the summer break by the center-left Social Democrats (SPD), the Greens and the Left party. Merkel's CDU/CSU bloc had criticized the SPD's move, saying that they had previously agreed not to hold a parliamentary vote on the issue during their coalition.
Schulz was quick to hail the outcome of the vote, saying that marriage for all meant "unity, justice and freedom" for all Germans who love each other, quoting from the German national anthem.

Germany currently allows civil partnerships, but not full marital rights, which would include the possibility to jointly adopt children.

Schulz had forced the speedy vote, saying he would "take the chancellor at her word."
However, while some would consider the chancellor and CDU to have been wrong-footed, an alternative theory - that Merkel wanted to remove same-sex marriage as an election issue - has been floated. After all, Monday's comments did appear to be her laying foundations for a vote on the same issue in the next legislative period.
All three potential partners in government with the CDU - the Social Democrats (SPD), Greens and pro-business Free Democrats - had declared same-sex marriage as a red-line demand for entering into any future coalition.

Last edited:

dyp133

Reaction score
When?

When in Austria, Italy or Switzerland? When in Poland, Australia and every part of the Word? When Everywhere?

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
I'm really happy for all my German friends, and in particular my German GH friends!!!

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Thank you Gorgik9 for your congratulations. But nonetheless it will be a very long and onerous way until we will be really be accepted by the majority. Most of all the Catholic Church is fighting against us with the contention that the same sex marriage is against the will of God. Well - and I don't know if you have read about the Australian Cardinal George Pell who is accused for sexual violation of boys during his time in Australia. Wasn't that too against the will of God?

But nonetheless - the first step has been done. And after the first step will follow the second and so forth! We are happy!!!

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Here is the part that I don't get. Opposite-sex marriage is written in to the German constitution, as I understand it. That would make this law clearly unconstitutional, right? One court challenge and it is gone.

Is there any movement to change Constitution?

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Here is the part that I don't get. Opposite-sex marriage is written in to the German constitution, as I understand it. That would make this law clearly unconstitutional, right? One court challenge and it is gone.

Is there any movement to change Constitution?

Well, as I understand it, Frau Merkel's no-vote hinges on her interpretation of the definition of the concept of marriage:

"Merkel later explained her "no" vote by saying that she understood the definition of marriage in the German constitution as referring solely to unions between men and women"

I take for granted that this means, that the meaning of the definition can be interpreted otherwise. My conclusion: Constitutional Law is a very tricky and slippery substance...

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
It's not a law yet, the chamber of countries (Bundestag) will have to agree to it as well. Which will not happen soon since there is the summer break.

And there will be somebody applying tp the Bundesverfassungsgericht (constitutional court) which then will have to decide if it's constitutional or not.

If it's not constitutional normally they say "you have xy months to change the law" but in this case I guess the constition will have to be changed, which needs 66% of both Bundestag and Bundesrat.

faroutplanetboi

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
I never thought that I would see same-sex civil marriage become legal in my home state of Massachusetts during my lifetime, but it did in 2004. It took time, but eventually, the US Supreme Court ruled that what is legal in MA should be legal in the entire United States of America. p:p

That may change--though not without a fight! However, any move towards equality of human rights for all anywhere in the world is something to celebrate. :thumbs up::cheers:

The tide of history has always been in favor of the expansion of equal civil rights for all, however long it may take to rise. The abolition of slavery and the enactment of equal voting rights for women have come to every part of the world that deserves to be called civilized! :thinking:

I wish my brothers and sisters in Germany a speedy path to the enjoyment of what any reasonable person understands to be a universal human right: to share a life with the one we love, and to have that choice be treated with the same respect that has hitherto only been accorded to heterosexual marriage.
"We shall overcome some day!"
:big hug::heart::thumbs up::cheers:

Habukaz

Reaction score
It's not a law yet, the chamber of countries (Bundestag) will have to agree to it as well. Which will not happen soon since there is the summer break.

And there will be somebody applying tp the Bundesverfassungsgericht (constitutional court) which then will have to decide if it's constitutional or not.

If it's not constitutional normally they say "you have xy months to change the law" but in this case I guess the constition will have to be changed, which needs 66% of both Bundestag and Bundesrat.

This bill was passed by the Bundesrat in 2015. CDU, CSU and SPD had blocked it just on the 21th of June for the 30th time from being discussed in the Bundestag.

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
This bill was passed by the Bundesrat in 2015. CDU, CSU and SPD had blocked it just on the 21th of June for the 30th time from being discussed in the Bundestag.

Ah, thanks.

Habukaz

Reaction score
Well, as I understand it, Frau Merkel's no-vote hinges on her interpretation of the definition of the concept of marriage:

"Merkel later explained her "no" vote by saying that she understood the definition of marriage in the German constitution as referring solely to unions between men and women"

I take for granted that this means, that the meaning of the definition can be interpreted otherwise. My conclusion: Constitutional Law is a very tricky and slippery substance...

She has no intention of stopping the bill in any way. She made all this happen. If she hadn't spoken out on Monday this whole thing would not have happened. On Sunday she had probed her party for it's stance on the matter. She wanted to pass same-sex marriage without being implicated too much herself to hardline conservatives. That's the only purpose her no ever served. Holding onto it was becoming more detriment than advantage in the upcoming election. So she let go. The anger of homophobic conversatives was redirected at the SPD for apparently betraying the coalition. She voted no but she had some of her closest allies vote yes. People like Ursula von der Leyen. Her efforts to make the Bundeswehr more accepting of gay soldiers just like Merkel speaking out in Russia for gay men in Chechnya all have to be reassessed in light of this development.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
She has no intention of stopping the bill in any way. She made all this happen. If she hadn't spoken out on Monday this whole thing would not have happened. On Sunday she had probed her party for it's stance on the matter. She wanted to pass same-sex marriage without being implicated too much herself to hardline conservatives. That's the only purpose her no ever served. Holding onto it was becoming more detriment than advantage in the upcoming election. So she let go. The anger of homophobic conversatives was redirected at the SPD for apparently betraying the coalition. She voted no but she had some of her closest allies vote yes. People like Ursula von der Leyen. Her efforts to make the Bundeswehr more accepting of gay soldiers just like Merkel speaking out in Russia for gay men in Chechnya all have to be reassessed in light of this development.

Thanks a lot for this great explanation :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
It would be great and amazing for all Gays here in Germany - but as I have said before as well as Ihno has said it - the whole thing has not yet to be done and dusted. So we have to wait. But once more it was the first step. And if there is set of an avalanche these avalanche no one will stop anymore.

Last edited: