• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Fmr Marshall Football Star Arrested For Beating Gay Couple

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Ex-Herd RB faces felony civil rights violations for attack on gay couple
NBC Sports | By John Taylor | May 30, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT

2119283419791c37fd8f73d417f0a8ba94a77da3.jpg

Not so unexpectedly, a former member of the Marshall football program is facing some very serious legal issues.

Earlier this month, reports surfaced that Marshall running back Steward Butler had been arrested and charged with battery in connection to the April beating of a same-sex couple. Butler allegedly became angry after witnessing the couple, two males, kissing. At the time, it was reported that the Huntington Police Department turned over evidence to the FBI for its review of any civil rights violations.

Saturday, the Associated Press reports, the former Herd player has been accused of two felony civil rights violations. The AP writes that “[t]he accusations against 23-year-old Steward Butler were contained in indictments unsealed Friday by a Cabell County [WV] grand jury.”

While “West Virginia’s civil rights law does not include protections on the basis of sexual orientation,” the Huntington Herald-Dispatch wrote, “[t]he indictment accuses Butler of violating the two men’s civil rights on the basis of their sex.”

In addition to the felony civil rights indictments, Butler was also indicted on two misdemeanor charges of battery.

A few hours after the reports of the assault first surfaced, Butler, who was the Herd’s second-leading rusher each of the last three seasons, was initially indefinitely suspended by and ultimately dismissed from the football program.

211928298453b87e13886354c7c48c38d5b672b4.jpg

SOURCE

************************************************​

UPDATE- Former Marshall University athlete indicted on felony civil rights charges
WOWK-TV | By Jessie Shafer | Posted: May 06, 2015 11:10 AM EDT Updated: May 30, 2015 5:17 PM EDT

211928481526df620dce2135d017be6878be3a51.jpg

Zackary Johnson, left, and Casey Williams, right, were allegedly attacked by dismissed Marshall University running back Steward Butler during a visit to Huntington, W.Va.

HUNTINGTON, WV - UPDATE

Former Marshall University running back Steward Butler was indicted on felony civil rights charges.
Those charges come in addition to two misdemeanor battery charges he is already facing. Cell phone video shot by the victims in this case, Zackary Johnson and Casey Williams, shows the alleged attack.

Both men say Butler punched them and shouted gay-slurs at them.

Butler was dismissed from Marshall's football team in early May.

_____

UPDATE

Huntington Mayor Steve Williams made the following statement Thursday, May 7 to City Council members in regards to the investigation involving former Marshall University running back Steward Butler:

"The Huntington Police Department is engaged in an investigation regarding an alleged attack of two gay males in Huntington. Certainly, I trust the professionalism of the Huntington Police Department and await the details of their investigation.

In the meantime, we must be clear that intolerance will not be tolerated in Huntington. It does not reflect the values of our community. Violent attacks will not be tolerated. Bigoted behavior has no place in our community.

The City of Huntington, Huntington Police Department, Marshall University and the Marshall University Athletic Department have developed a cooperative and trusting relationship with one another. In the two and a half years I have been mayor, I have never experienced or observed a lack of cooperation, stonewalling or obstruction of any investigation.

I would trust that if any concerns of this nature were true, they would be brought to the police chief, who would, in turn, bring it to my attention."

UPDATE

Marshall University Interim President Gary White release the following statement in regards to Butler's arrest:

"The entire university community is shocked and disappointed to learn the details surrounding the alleged actions that led to Mr. Butler's arrest this morning.

"The type of violent, bigoted behavior reported to have been perpetrated by this student is not tolerated at Marshall University. Period. This is an extremely serious matter.

"We will allow the legal process to run its course and will act swiftly and appropriately within our Student Conduct System and according to the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities as more details become clear."

Director of Athletics Mike Hamrick also added:

"Marshall running back Steward Butler has been suspended indefinitely from all team-related activities as a result of recent charges filed against him. We take all accusations against our student-athletes seriously, especially those of such a sensitive nature. We hold all of our 350+ student-athletes to a high standard, on and off the playing surface, as ambassadors of Marshall University."

ORIGINAL

Officers with the Huntington Police Department said they have arrested a Marshall University football player.

Steward Butler is charged with two counts of battery after he attacked a same sex couple, officers said.

According to a criminal complaint released by the Cabell County, West Virginia magistrate's office Zackery Johnson and Casey Williams were walking in the area of 9th Street and 5th Avenue on Tuesday, May 5, 2015. The same-sex couple stopped and kissed.

Butler passed by the couple in a vehicle and shouted derogatory remarks about their sexual orientation. The vehicle then stopped and Butler got out. He punched at least one of the two men in the face with a closed fist.

Butler is a running back for the Herd.

We have crew working on this developing story and we will bring you the latest information as it becomes available on wowktv.com and during our news broadcasts.

SOURCE

I included the second story because there is a short video of the News Story that TV Station aired about this incident that is a MUST SEE! In the video the Gay couple recounts the attack and they used their cell phone to record the incident. Excerpts of that cell phone video are shown during this short video. I hope those who read this will click on the source link and watch this short video. You will get a better perspective on the nature of this Hate Crime by comparing the difference in size and physical strength of the Gay couple to the bulked up football player. Then the Gay couple say after the attack this vicious bully and his two friends... 3 vicious bullies against 2 little Gay guys... got back into their car and sped away. I hope he gets 25 years without parole.

Last edited:

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Marshall Athletics Dept Deceptive When Questioned By Police

Marshall officials dispute website’s stonewalling claims
CharlestonDailyMail | By Marcus Constantino | Thursday May 7, 2015

Marshall University officials are disputing a report claiming school athletics staff “stonewalled” Huntington detectives during an investigation involving running back Steward Butler, but Athletic Director Mike Hamrick is conducting an internal review in response to the claims.

Huntington Detective Chris Sperry told The Daily Beast website that unidentified members of the Marshall football program were not cooperative with the investigation into Butler, who is accused of beating a gay couple he saw kissing on a street corner last month in Huntington.

The Daily Mail reported Butler, 23, turned himself in to authorities Wednesday morning and appeared before Cabell County Magistrate Darrell Black later that morning to face two charges of misdemeanor battery. He was released on $10,000 bond total, $5,000 for each charge.

One of the victims caught the alleged assault on video and shared it with investigators.

“(The football program) looked at the video and they definitely could tell who it was but they wouldn’t tell me,” Sperry told The Daily Beast, a popular news reporting and opinion website. “That’s the kind of cooperation I got there.”

The university responded in a statement Thursday evening, saying university officials were shown a screenshot from a video, not the video itself, by the investigating officer during the investigation, and that football staff members identified Butler as the individual in the screenshot.

“As of close of business today, Mr. Hamrick has found absolutely no evidence that anyone in the Athletic Department was shown the video in question prior to Mr. Butler’s arrest,” Marshall interim President Gary White said in a statement. “Furthermore, he has found no evidence that anyone in the department refused to cooperate fully with the investigation.

“Similar to my unequivocal statement yesterday regarding behaviors that are not tolerated at Marshall University, I will add that any confirmed cover-up or stonewalling of an investigation by any Marshall University officials would be considered an egregious breach of conduct an will be dealt with appropriately and swiftly, up to and including immediate dismissal.”

Butler allegedly jumped from a vehicle on April 5 and shouted derogatory slurs at the couple before punching them in the face with a closed fist, according to the criminal complaint against Butler. Sperry told The Daily Beast the driver of the vehicle then shouted for Butler to return to the car.

The Daily Beast reported Sperry was told by a Marshall football coach that the getaway driver was a Marshall graduate who “was getting ready to be drafted in the NFL.” The driver has not been identified.

“(The Marshall coaches) said he didn’t do anything and they wouldn’t tell me who he is,” Sperry told the Daily Beast.

Huntington police Chief Joe Ciccarelli said he had read The Daily Beast story but declined to comment on evidence in the investigation. When asked whether he knew about the allegations, he stated that Huntington police have always had cooperation from the university during investigations.

“We have a very good relationship with the athletic department,” Ciccarelli said. “To my knowledge, they’ve always been exceptionally cooperative. I’m not aware of any instance in this case or in any other case where they have been less than cooperative.

“If they were not, I would expect my officers would bring that to my attention,” Ciccarelli said.

Ciccarelli would not say whether he learned of the stonewalling allegations through The Daily Beast story or from Sperry.

“If any of my officers experienced issues like that with the Marshall University athletic department or anybody else, I expect them to bring that to my attention,” Ciccarelli said.

When asked if Sperry brought any complaints about stonewalling to him, Ciccarelli responded, “That’s my story right there.”

The university said in a statement that the Marshall Athletic Department was first notified by Huntington police that there was an ongoing investigation into an alleged attack shortly after the April 5 incident. Marshall University Police Chief James Terry was the first university official outside the athletic department to learn of the investigation when Huntington officers notified him on May 4. Terry then notified the university’s legal counsel and White, according to the statement.

Terry viewed the video at the Huntington Police Department on May 5, and Hamrick and Lisa Martin, director of Marshall’s Office of Student Conduct, viewed the video on May 6, according to the statement. Hamrick and Marshall head football coach Doc Holliday immediately decided to dismiss Butler after seeing the video, according to the statement.

“Based on what I know this evening, I have full confidence that all Marshall University officials have acted absolutely appropriately in this very serious matter,” White said in the statement. “I also have complete confidence in Mike Hamrick’s management of the Athletic Department and his commitment to integrity. We will settle for nothing less.”

Huntington Mayor Steve Williams released a statement about the stonewalling allegations Thursday evening. Williams said he trusts “the professionalism of the Huntington Police Department” and said intolerance and bigoted behavior has no place in Huntington. He said the city, Huntington police and Marshall have had a “cooperative and trusting” relationship during his two-and-a-half year tenure as mayor and said he’s never seen a lack of cooperation from Marshall.

“I would trust that if any concerns of this nature were true, they would be brought to the police chief, who would, in turn, bring it to my attention,” Williams said. He declined to discuss the lack of cooperation accusations further Thursday evening.

When reached by telephone Thursday afternoon, Sperry said he was instructed by his supervisor to no longer answer media inquiries about the charges against Butler.

SOURCE

BadMan125

Reaction score
That's just plain evil and disgusting for that dude to do that to that couple.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Good to see these kinds of thugs arrested and prosecuted.

There was a time society would turn a blind eye to this kind of thing, but that time is rapidly passing, at least in the western world.

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Judge: Law Doesn’t Cover Gay Hate Crimes in Ex-player’s Case

Judge: Law Doesn’t Cover Gay Hate Crimes in Ex-player’s Case
Diverseeducation | May 16, 2016 | by Jonathan Mattise | Associated Press

CHARLESTON, W.Va. ― West Virginia law doesn’t consider violence or threats of violence based solely on a victim’s sexual orientation to be a hate crime, a circuit judge ruled Friday.

The decision allows hate crime charges to be dropped against former Marshall University football player Steward Butler, who’s accused of assaulting two gay men after seeing them kiss on a city street.

In his ruling, Cabell County Circuit Court Judge Paul Farrell wrote that state lawmakers have never acted to protect sexual orientation under the state civil rights law.

Farrell wrote that his decision was partly “in light of the legislature’s careful crafting of the statute at issue coupled with its repeated opportunities to amend it to include sexual orientation if it so desired.”

The West Virginia law reads: “All persons within the boundaries of the state of West Virginia have the right to be free from any violence, or intimidation by threat of violence, committed against their persons or property because of their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, political affiliation or sex.”

Based on a review of other states’ laws, Farrell wrote that “sex” and “sexual orientation” are two distinct categories of possible discrimination.

He mentioned numerous other states that specifically protect sexual orientation, including California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana and Maryland.

Butler pleaded not guilty to two counts of felony civil rights violations and two counts of misdemeanor battery in the April 2015 alleged incident. The battery charges still stand.

According to charges, Butler got out of a car in Huntington when he saw two men kissing, used a homophobic slur and then struck the victims.

The hate crime charges won’t be dismissed for 60 days to give prosecutors a chance to appeal to the state Supreme Court.

In February, the state Supreme Court declined to hear a request by Farrell on whether the law protected against violent actions based only on sexual orientation.

SOURCE

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
I'm probably at odds with many here, but I don't see the need to discriminate between beating the snot out of someone for being gay, or beating the snot out of them for supporting the wrong football team. They why of the crime is irrelevant - it's illegal to beat the snot out of people!

This seems like and open-and-shut case of battery, so any prosecutor worth their salt should be able to get a conviction.

B.