• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Most Gays Are Spiritual

gtsrulez

Reaction score
No, I am not a creationist. Are you?

Watch this:

http://fora.tv/2008/05/24/John_Gray_in_Conversation

I will when I have the time.

Grey makes the point that secular humanism (he does mention Dawkins) refutes the content of Christianity (and religion in general) but retains its thought processes:
-Dawkins makes the point that "we alone have the ability..." to defy our genes etc., in effect, we are special. But where does this specialness come from?
-Dawkins offers his own eschatology. Have you read Unweaving the Rainbow? Well, to me, it is as if Dawkins has set about weaving his own rainbow.

Dawkins is stating the obvious in completely naturalistic terms. There's no similarity with religious thought processes. Setting goals and wishing for a certain future is not eschatology. I still don't understand what exactly it is you support and why the obsession with Dawkins.

So, what some take from the new eschatology, and the new religion (humanism) is the belief that humanity can be so much more than it is --science and technology offer the grand potential of a utopian society, where all realise the infallibility of the scientific method (world view) and conflict becomes a thing of the past?

Everyone has a vision for the future and works for it. I don't see how humanism is eschatological, and what exactly your problem is.

Grey also makes the point (cf. Schopenhauer) that a multiplicity of conflicting desires, are an intrinsic part of the reality of human existence --good vs. bad, them vs. us is an illusion (think 'NeoDarwinians' vs. 'Creationists')... instead we choose between 'goods', between 'bads' etc. So as Kissinger (!) would have it, great men must choose between evils...

Sorry, the above is irrelevant, relativistic nonsense. The harm caused by creationists in education is not an illusion.

Politically, the Discovery Institute is in bed with the Israeli Lobby, and with the Neoconservatives. Ideologically, Dawkins presents a kind of secondary add-on to Neoconservatism. It other words, both sides are being played within the theatre that is the ever-changing/transitioning public sphere (again, call me a relativist!). And yes, the political world really is that complicated!

I don't really know what to respond to such nonsense. This looks like pretending to be an intellectual simply by dismissing both sides of an argument as being the same. Being played? By whom? Again, I don't know what you believe exactly but it sounds like a conspiracy theory.

I've read Dawkins, McGrath, Grey, Dennett, Blackmore and all the rest. Why don't you do the same? What are you so worried about? Please consider that the real world is not a wrestling match, there are always shades of grey... and there in lies the 'truth' of the matter.
:bring it on:

Worried? I'm not the one desperately trying to discredit a popular author by spreading common creationist lies. What are you so worried about?
Some issues are black and white, like the existence of god, if that's what you had in mind. There aren't ALWAYS shades of grey.

gtsrulez

Reaction score
What are the counter-positions? You don't even have a position; you just attack naturalism without offering any justification or alternative world view. Just by calling naturalism as "pop science of darwinism", you think you make some sophisticated argument. Well, you have to do better than that.

The facts are :
1. All life has evolved and shares a common ancestor. Biology, geology and several other scientific fields testify to this.
2. The mind is a product of the brain. Neurology and neuropsychology would not exist without recognition of this fact.
3. Ethics is partly innate (at the basic level of altruism and reciprocity necessary for social survival) and partly a convention and product of cultural evolution. The fact of the observed ethical behavior of animals and the moral progress of society (abolition of slavery, sexual revolution, rights for women, blacks and gays) testify to this also.

These are the main points of a naturalistic and atheistic world view. You haven't argued (not successfully anyway) against them, or proposed anything that isn't vague or unclear. After several posts, I think you have a pretty good idea of what my beliefs are; I still have no idea what you believe or what exactly you find lacking in my own. You said you are not a creationist, yet you are happy to use creationist lies against Dawkins. Why?

T

Thor

hahahaha, I wonder if we were in a pub, and having a beer where this would this go? lol

gtsrulez

Reaction score
hahahaha, I wonder if we were in a pub, and having a beer where this would this go? lol

I don't think this topic would come up in any pub with hot boys in it :p

Integritas, even your last post is full of fallacies and falsehoods.
Have you even read The Selfish Gene, apart from its title? Did you know it explains how altruism can develop exactly because it helps spread the "selfish" genes in a population?

I didn't say the abolition of slavery had anything to do with Darwin. But it was the product of a moral progress that happened despite the resistance of religious morality based on the supernatural.

As for the "eugenics movements", their link to Darwin probably exists only in the minds of creationists or people with similar intellectual deficiencies. Such movements existed way before Darwin, you can read the Old Testament about how God commands and performs them through ethnic cleansing and genocide. Eugenics is what a farmer does with selective breeding so that he gets the best qualities of his animals in the next generation. Darwin simply observed that nature and the environment do the same; his theory is completely unnecessary for anyone wanting to apply eugenics to humans. It is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Thank you for the debate and the learning wishes. Just keep in mind that learning also means admitting that some things we already learned are wrong. I made many objections, counter-questions and corrections to what you have said, but you addressed none of them. Is this really what it means to be "balanced"?

explrrrs

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
I have a background in statistics and economics, I'd like to see the questions they asked. I can say with authority that twisting answers to meet your needs or what you want to say can be done very easily, I did it for well, a few years.