• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Forum status

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Seems there were more DNS probs today - similar to last time.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
I've had the same kind of shitty disconnection problem as slimjim and gb yesterday Sunday 25 oct. Hours and hours and hours of disconnect...not fun...

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
DNS Lookup Error

I've had the same kind of shitty disconnection problem as slimjim and gb yesterday Sunday 25 oct. Hours and hours and hours of disconnect...not fun...

Same here...can not access the forum since Sunday afternoon...I can only access through a Tor-Browser

dnsyry.jpg

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Still the same today - DNS server not responding, again limited access and functionality via proxy site.

@ haiducii I use www. downforeveryoneorjustme.com what is the url of the site you use to check?, it gives more info than mine

Last edited:

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
In case anyone is curious as to what is going on.

This site uses a service called IronDNS (this is public information before any moderator thinks I'm sharing some sort of secret or confidential information - the terminal commands to determine this are listed at the bottom of the post to prove that fact)

IronDNS is a distributed DNS service - that is, they have servers scattered across the world, and which server is responsible for answering you depends on where you physically are in the world. SOME of those servers are/were having problems, so some users in some parts of the world cannot turn the DNS name www.gayheaven.org into the IP address of the actual GH server. Browsers need to know the IP to connect to a website, so when the DNS lookup fails, your browser has no choice but to give up and show an error message.

What adds to this is that DNS servers cache the answers they receive - and they cache failure as well as success, so even after the servers are fixed, people may still not be able to see the site for some time because their DNS server had cached the failure.

So, why do VPNs work? A VPN effectively teleports your internet connection to a different physical location on planet earth, so, if you VPN to a part of the world where the IronDNS server for that region is not experiencing an outage, then you can get to the site.

So, in case anyone was wondering why the site has been unavailable to them, now you know :)

B.

P.s.

The commands to determine who is the DNS provider for GH (or any other website)
Step 1: find the DNS servers for the domain:
Code:
dig +short gayheaven.org NS

This will give you the names of GH's two DNS servers:
Code:
ns1.gayheaven.org.
ns2.gayheaven.org.

Step 2: convert the name of one of the DNS servers to an IP address
Code:
dig +short ns1.gayheaven.org

This will give you: 195.253.65.2

Step 3: figure out who owns that IP
Code:
whois 195.253.65.2

This produces a LOT of output, but in there you'll see details for the owner of all IP addresses between 195.253.65.0 and 195.253.65.255:
Code:
inetnum:        195.253.65.0 - 195.253.65.255
netname:        ironDNS-NET2

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I sort of knew some of it... I'm using a free proxy site currently but are there any security issues in logging in via one. And if so which is the best/securest VPN to use?

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
YAY!!!! back on with "normal service" resumed!!! :thumbs up::thumbs up:

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I sort of knew some of it... I'm using a free proxy site currently but are there any security issues in logging in via one. And if so which is the best/securest VPN to use?

Short answer - 'maybe'

Long answer:

If you are using a proxy or VPN to access non-secure sites (URLs that don't start with HTTPS), you are implicitly trusting that service not to store OR ALTER what you are sending and/or receiving. It is trivially easy for them to inject trackers into you traffic they can sell to advertisers, to inject ads, to simply log everything you do and sell it to advertisers. Or, to inject malware into the web pages you view.

Your only chance of determining the risk with any particular service is to follow the money. The chances are you are not using a VPN or proxy provided by a charitable foundation. That means who ever is running the service is doing so to make money. If you are paying for the service then you are the customer, and the chances are higher that they are not up to no good with your traffic. However, if you are using the service for free, then you are the product being sold, and it is almost certain they are selling you to advertisers or criminals in some way - ranging somewhere on the spectrum from the relatively innocent to the down-right malicious.

If you want a good VPN service - pay for it!

B.

bigsal

Super Vip
Reaction score
Hello there guys p:p

Recently I'm not receiving email notifications when someone sends me a new private message ~X(

Does anybody else...?

Have you checked the box "spam"? To me it all end there.

DBOL777

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is actually a thing in your profile to receive email notifications of pm's which was checked to receive them...All I can do is to reset this setting which has been done now...please see if this helps...

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Well it looks like GH was offline for just under 7 hrs today :(

Here are a couple of useful sites to check on the status of any website - in both cases just type in gayheaven.org and hit enter:

The 1st one just performs a basic check and tells you if it's just you that has a problem - when I used this one today it told me that it was just me and that GH was online

http://anon.projectarchive.net/?http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

This 2nd one is a bit more pro-active and if you set it for "all checkpoints" it will tell you areas in the world where the tested site is either online or offline - when I tested GH today it told me that GH was online in Seoul but offline everywhere else. For some reason the anonymiser will not generate a live link (possible due to the s after http) but use this without the gap between www. and uptrends and make sure you are in the "uptime check" section :)

www. uptrends.com/tools/uptime ( this is not a live link)

Last edited:
S

smallsleepyrascalcat

Yes, there was a power problem with the server.
Nothing anyone could have foreseen.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
I've had the same kind of problems today Wednesday 20 January as slimjim and RockNLol : GH offline many hours. I think the problems started for me about 3:30 PM and got back online about 9:30 PM.