• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Freedom to Discriminate? Michigan Business Under Fire for Anti-Gay Ad

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Freedom to Discriminate? Michigan Business Under Fire for Anti-Gay Ad
Huffington Post | By Brian Stone | 05/08/2015 5:05 pm EDT

21108180c668981476350b6f55f7f81bd81f5c44.jpg

Most people believe in freedom of speech. Most people also believe that a business shouldn't have the right to discriminate against customers for their religious and political beliefs. But what if you were faced with a situation where you had to choose?

Right now in Dearborn, Mich. a local business owner is facing this very question. A group called "Restrain The Judges" placed a number of advertisements claiming "Homosexuality is a behavior, not a civil right."

This ad just so happens to be a mile north of my home on a busy street. I'm not particularly happy about it. In the meantime, tens of thousands of people and their children are being forced to view it every day.

However, when some local advocates got mad, rather than directing their ire at the group which placed the ad, many are directing their anger towards the owner of the ad space and, strangely, at the local chamber of commerce. So it's worth asking the question: does a business owner have the right to discriminate in regard to what ads they place?

I talked to Tom Giesken, the owner of the Giesken Outdoor Advertising, the company who signed the advertising contract with Restrain The Judges. I was lucky to get a hold of him because he had to disconnect his land-line after getting so many angry phone calls. He was very forthright about his beliefs.

"As a business person, I don't have the luxury of taking a political position. This is not that forum for me," said Giesken, regarding his own advertising space. "This forum is about the first amendment and for everybody to have free speech... I believe that is what our founding fathers set up, so that we could work out our differences."

Unfortunately, the issue at question doesn't have a lot of middle ground. Not to mention, the advertisement goes against the overwhelming body of scientific research and evidence. Still, Giesken doesn't feel like he has the right to pick and choose.

"I have a deep care for every single human being, that's at the core of who I am. If somebody put up something that was very hateful and directly attacking people, I wouldn't put it up," Giesken said. "But if it's coming from a religious standpoint, where it's just their opinion, I feel like I don't have the right to say no to that."

A lot of advertisers are going to have to tackle these questions, now and into the future. Even though science has reached a consensus on matters of whether or not being a gay is a choice, the fact is that in many communities the public hasn't.

That's why, in response to the controversy, the Dearborn Area Chamber of Commerce president Jackie Lovejoy said she's setting up a panel discussion with professors and advertising experts to explore the ethical issues at hand.

"Our job at the Dearborn Chamber of Commerce is to educate and inform," said Lovejoy. "I have a lot of gay friends and this really breaks my heart that people see us as a part of this. I'm not the person with all the answers. However, I think the best thing we can do in the chamber is to foster discussion on the issue as to what is legal and ethical for advertising companies to do."

In the meantime, a local man named Ferman Smith has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for an ad that counters the messages sent out by this group.

The silver lining in all of this? Giesken happily offered to host that ad, too.

"I'm happy to foster debate on both sides of the issue," he said. "That's what freedom of speech is for."

I love one of the comments posted on this article:

Mitchell Parod · Top Commenter
You aren't born religious. It's a behavior. I guess we can toss out religious protections.

SOURCE

cranston

Reaction score
I'd love to know what the proper legal definition of hate speech is because this is quite clearly hate speech to me. What if someone put up billboards challenging whether or not certain people were really black, or if other
people were really white, would that not be considered hate speech?