• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

If You Want To Discriminate Against People, Just Say So

Should Bigots Be Required To Publicly Identify Their Businesses?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
If You Want To Discriminate Against People, Just Say So
Detroit Free Press | By Nancy Kaffer | 12:07 a.m. EDT March 20, 2015

Don't want to serve gay people? Fine. But be straight about it.

That's what some equal rights advocates are saying, as state lawmakers consider passing laws to protect business owners who don't want gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender customers: Those business owners should post signs, stating who they'll not do business with.

There's a threefold benefit: Business owners with strongly held beliefs can state them loud and proud. Prospective LGBT patrons can avoid the frustration and inconvenience of being denied service. And those of us who want to can spend our money elsewhere.

It's a practical suggestion advanced around the country by state lawmakers, and here in Michigan by the Satanic Temple of Detroit — get past the name, their points are well-made and valid — and it's difficult to imagine on what grounds any business owner could object. If you believe it's OK to deny service to individuals based on sexual orientation or gender identity, why not say it? And if the idea of saying it, publicly and definitively, makes you uncomfortable — if the idea of hanging a sign in your business saying which groups of people aren't welcome — well, maybe you should indulge in a little self-examination.

In Michigan, it's legal to discriminate against customers based on sexual orientation or gender identity. A push last year to expand the state's civil rights law to include protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender Michiganders failed. So did a bill that would carve out overarching protections for businesses that discriminate, but piecemeal efforts to preserve different components of discrimination are under way in Lansing.

Advocates for state-level religious freedom restoration acts like to say that it's a sensitive balance between a free and equitable society and respect for sincerely held beliefs. But this is where things get real — if protecting your sincerely held religious beliefs required you to advertise them on a sign, how virtuous does that feel?

The Satanic Temple calls it "discrimination transparency." They've even made downloadable, printable signs for local businesses, offering two distinct messages: "Due to sincerely held religious beliefs, service is denied to ______," and its opposite, "Due to sincerely held beliefs, all are welcome."

The proverbial example given, when social conservatives illustrate the need for such protections, is a baker whose religious beliefs prohibit making a wedding cake for a gay couple. But as we saw last month, when a metro Detroit pediatrician refused to see an infant with lesbian parents, the implications reach further than baked goods.

But beyond that, what we're talking about is legally protected discrimination. Before the civil rights movement, businesses could also choose their customers: No minorities, no Irish, no Italians. Noxious, but honest. Today's discrimination cloaks itself in religious virtue, masking bigotry as a belief worthy of respect.

So say it.

If you're out and gay, you live your authentic self every day. If you're transgender, your very existence is political. If you're a business owner who doesn't want to do business with gay or transgender Michiganders, you should be as brave as those you refuse to serve.

SOURCE

In other words all the bigots should brand themselves as such and accept the consequences, if any.

The concept is appealing but who's to say those businesses wouldn't thrive and grow by advertising their hate?

On one hand I want them to be branded with a scarlet letter. On the other hand... I'm afraid society would embrace them and we would lose in the end.

What do you think?

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Well I think in the "very christian" America it could go down like a lead balloon for gay people. The next step could be a hood for gays and lesbians and transgenders.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
It sounds appealing. Then you think about it.

Have we ever seen such signage in the past? And if so, how did it work out?

attachment.php

Oh yea - it worked out really badly and resulted in the civil rights act.

B.

Attachments

• white-only.jpg
    white-only.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 59

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds appealing. Then you think about it.

Have we ever seen such signage in the past? And if so, how did it work out?

attachment.php

Oh yea - it worked out really badly and resulted in the civil rights act.

B.

I think we've paid a high enough price for our 'Civil Rights'. So much brutality from strangers and even one's own parents, family, friends and neighbors, a reign of terror that is still raging in America. Politicians, clergy, police, military... every facet of life has hidden and open bigotry and brutality for us. Maybe not all of us but many.

We've paid our dues. We're not going to turn back the clock.

StonewallStrong

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
What's it all about is the freedom for SOME GROUP of American citizens (let's say heterosexual WASP:s) to deminish and disregard SOME OTHER GROUP's civil rights as long as the disregarding group explicitly say so.

I've got the Holy Christian Biblethumpologic right - a right God and Nature gave me - to spit in your face as long as I declare my intention to spit loud and clear before I do the actual spitting!!!

That's nice, isn't it? (irony & satire alert: noooooooooo, it isn't at all nice...)

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Really? I'm the only person who thinks that people who discriminate should have to publicly acknowledge their shameless bigotry?

james1981

Reaction score
I like the sentiment that people who discriminate and hold discriminatory views should stand by their convictions and state them clearly. Too often one encounters people who hide behind weasel words, coded language and only sharing their views in certain circles.

However, the idea of allowing businesses to discriminate is a terrible one. As others have pointed out, we've been there and done that. Black people, Jewish people, Irish, and so on. There's reasons there are laws to protect against discrimination. This proposed approach would actually protect discrimination. Unfortunately, I'm not confident that the market would work things out by punishing the offending businesses accordingly. Again, we've been down that path before.

Frenchgerman

Banned
Reaction score
I have faith in a decent human character !

but in a situation like this, that means if there could be a law permitting discrimination, than it has to be done in the face of the society - by advertising