• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Popular Broadway Songs [Youtbe Clips]

trencherman

Reaction score
This number was a delightful surprise for me because I only knew Simon Russell Beale as the voice of George Smiley in BBC’s Radio 4 production of John le Carré’s Cold War novels. I held no suspicion whatsoever that he sings and dances too.

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Frozen - The Broadway Musical

h_disneyliveshow_frozen_525.jpg

The movie version of Frozen was a worldwide phenomenon, in part because it was an entirely new commodity that upended the cliches of Disney princessdom... The Broadway version, though, is the virtual opposite: a play-it-by-the-book rendering of the story that, in refusing to take any real risks, ends up undermining the story's core message -- namely, that sometimes you've got to "let it go," and let your freak flag fly. For a show about magic and wonder, there's shockingly little on display here. - Christopher Kelly, NJ.com

Frozen - The Broadway Musical opened last night and the critics have had their say. And for the most part they are admiring, but disappointed. They are admiring of the way the production embraces the darkness of the story, the performances, and the design. They are disappointed that the musical is not able to break through and become more than simply a stage recreation of the movie.

Broadway's Frozen is a good show. With its music, its dance, its flurry of likable leads, and snowball after snowball of son and lumière, some of it newfangled, some of it stretching back to 19th-century melodrama, it offers most of the pleasures that we count on Broadway musicals to provide. But even with the addition of a dozen new songs by the composers Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, an enhanced book by Jennifer Lee, and the interventions of director Michael Grandage and scenic and costume designer Christopher Oram, it rarely feels like more than the movie and sometimes it feels like less. - Alexis Soloski, The Guardian

23Frozen-525.jpg

The ice queen now wears trousers. Cassie Levy got solid notices for playing Elsa.

Frozen's biggest challenge has always been the runaway success of the film. It is both it's reason for existing and the phantom that stalks its every move. How closely do you hew to the movie and how creative can you be in putting a new vision on stage? If it is too literal it becomes a theme park recreation of the film; if it is too original it loses the fans that want to see their favorite movie on stage.

Of course, this is true of any screen-to-stage adaption. But where Mean Girls (coming up next month) was a minor screen hit many years in the past, Frozen is a recent monster mega-hit. Pleasing the fans probably guarantees a multi-year critic-proof hit; pissing them off would be disaster, regardless of the artistic merits of the changes.

Frozen-SvenForestPeople525.jpg

The musical replaces the rock trolls in the film with the "Hidden Folk" of the forest as magic makers. Here Kristoff (Jelani Alladin)returns to the community that raised him.

Let's face it - Julie Taymor's The Lion King set an incredibly high bar for the Disney musical adaption 20 years ago. Since then, directors that have tried to use the Taymor approach have failed miserably (Tarzan), and directors that have simply added some Broadway razz-matzz to existing storytelling have done better (Aladdin).

Even with the disappointment, critics had nothing but praise for the cast and creative team. Director Michael Grandage keeps things tight and moving forward, and Christopher Oram's sets and costumes are suitably spectacular. The Taymor-like puppet designs for Olaf the snowman and the reindeer Sven are creative and become audience favorites.

FrozenAnnaHans525.jpg

Patty Murin is Anna and John Riddle as Hans sing "Love is an Open Door"

Is Frozen critic-proof? I would say it certainly is. It has a built-in audience and will run for years. I think the only question is which will close first: Lion King, Aladdin, or Frozen? My money is on Frozen.

But what do I know? Remember, I'm the guy that thought that The Lion King was a stupid choice for a Broadway musical.

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
News

March for Our Lives

Lin-Manuel Miranda and Ben Platt performed 'Found Tonight' at the March For Our Lives rally in Washington, D.C. this afternoon. Here's their full performance.

They also put some of their rehearsal on Twitter, including a spontaneous bit of "Defying Gravity". Now I want to see a gender reversed Wicked starring these two.

Update: Atlantic Records has done a short video with backstage interviews and shots of the performance.

What's the Buzz?

Back by popular demand! More audience impressions from shows that haven't opened yet. Everything is in previews except for the Donna Summer musical.

• Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - People are mesmerized by the magic and the performances. Even people who saw it in London like the improvements done here. This looks like it could be a huge hit. Note that just like Angels in America this is two plays, so you are making a big time commitment to see them both.
  • My Fair Lady - Very positive impressions here. Strong direction and beautiful sets. People are praising Lauren Ambrose and Harry Hadden-Patton as Eliza and Higgens, and at the same time looking for them to grow in comfort in their roles. Most love Norbert Leo Butz as Alfred Doolittle, though there are some dissenters that find him clunky and over-the-top. The direction at the end is generating a lot of comment on what it all means.
  • Mean Girls - There is a lot of division here - some like it, others find the music forgettable and only enjoy seeing the story on stage. There are some stand-out moments, but it seems that there is some rewriting going on during previews.

Coming up

• Angels in America opens tomorrow (Sunday) night.
  • Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert airs live in the US on NBC a week from Sunday (April 1) with John Legend and Sara Bareilles.

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Angels in America

Angels_America_Logo_550.jpg

Sometimes, just when you need it most, a play courses into your system like a transfusion of new blood. You feel freshly awakened to the infinite possibilities not only of theater but also of the teeming world beyond. And when you hit the streets afterward, every one of your senses is singing. Such is the effect of seeing the flat-out fabulous revival of Tony Kushner's "Angels in America," which opened on Sunday night at the Neil Simon Theater, with a top-flight cast led by Andrew Garfield and Nathan Lane in career-high performances. - Ben Brantley, The New York Times

When Angels in America arrived in 1993 to a Pulitzer Prize and universal acclaim you couldn't help but see it as an AIDS play. After all, it was the height of the death toll. I remember every week the local gay paper, The Washington Blade, would have about 20 pages of obituaries. Of course, author Tony Kushner's sights were set much higher and I think that now on its 25th Anniversary it's easier to grasp that AIDS was just the trigger for this sweeping look at our contemporary world where old certainties are crumbling but new stronger visions rise to take their place.

(No, Angels isn't a musical which is what we normally discuss here. But I'm writing about the play because I think people are interested in it. Also, see my post from last June on the London production and a synopsis of the story if this is new to you. There is also a short video teaser from the telecast of the London production.)

And I am happy to report that the reviews coming in for this transfer of London's National Theater production directed by Marianne Elliott are pretty much all unqualified raves. This, for a play that takes ten hours to get through (in one day including breaks - you can also choose to see the two parts on two different nights).

AIA_AngelAndPrior525.jpg

Amanda Lawrence is the bedraggled Angel and Andrew Garfield is Prior Walter, a reluctant prophet.

Even critics who aren't fans of the play found good things to say.

I've written more than once in this space about the flaws of Angels. It's too long, too sentimental, too inclined to demonize at the expense of comprehension, too rigid in its Marx-flavored politics... Yet all these things notwithstanding, it remains a fixed star in the firmament of American drama, a testament to Mr. Kushner's willingness to take huge chances instead of playing it safe, and I expect it will continue to hold the stage, both for its genuinely visionary moments and for the character of Cohn, one of the 20th century's great stage villains... Angels works best in the theater, and if you've never seen it there, this revival, imperfect though it is, will show you much of what you've been missing. - Terry Teachout, Wall Street Journal

AIA_lee-pace-andrew-garfield-nathan-lane-525.jpg

Everyone plays more than one part. Here Andrew Garfield as Prior is between two ghosts of his ancestors played by Lee Pace (left) and Nathan Lane (right). It is the only scene Andrew and Nathan have together and Andrew has said it it the hardest in the play for him. He is supposed to be scared, but Nathan keeps cracking him up.

If Nathan Lane and Andrew Garfield are nominated in separate categories, there may be Tony Awards for both this year. Lane is already a two-time Tony winner and Garfield was nominated previously for playing Biff in Death of a Salesman with Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Lane displays a range that's revelatory. In the space of a few minutes, he is angry, impatient, patronizing, sympathetic and serious, changing from one emotion to the next on a dime. When he is funny, he is hilarious. When he is serious, he is scary. Lane has always been a top-shelf stage actor, and as Roy Cohn he is at the top of his game. Whoever thought to cast Lane as Cohn should be given a MacArthur “Genius Grant.”

His Tony Award–worthy performance is matched by Garfield's own as Prior Walter, the heart of the play... Like Cohn, Prior's journey runs an emotional gamut: He is funny, he is angry, he is off-the-charts crazy... It's tough to tell—in Angels, the line between hallucination and reality blurs. It's Garfield's exceptional skill at scaling the range of emotions that come with that kind of breakdown that allows the audience to feel as confused and shattered. - Joe Westerfield, Newsweek

There are glowing notices for all the actors - though the weak link seems to be Lee Pace as Joe Pitt - the closeted conservative Mormon attorney. It is probably the hardest role in the piece because Kushner tears in to nearly every belief and decision Joe makes. Pace to me always seemed a bit miscast - too old for the part. It's one thing if Joe is around 30 with enough time ahead of him to change his ways and hopefully find a better life. It's something else entirely if he is 40 and discovers everything he has built his life on is wrong.

AIA_LeePaceJoePitt525.jpg

Lee Pace as Joe Pitt, who leaves his pill-addicted Mormon wife for Prior's ex-lover Louis.

Angels was a huge prestige production in its first incarnation, but it lost money running two plays in repertory for a year. Can Broadway sustain this new production? Well, if these reviews don't sell tickets I don't know what will.

AIA_FinalScene525.jpg

Prior blesses the audience with an encouragement for "More life."

“We won't die secret deaths anymore. The world only spins forward. We will be citizens. The time has come. Bye now. You are fabulous creatures, each and every one. And I bless you: More Life. The Great Work Begins.”

The cast talks about the experience of performing Angels in America.

For more information:

Read the new book The World Only Spins Forward: The Ascent of Angels in America by Isaac Butler and Dan Kois that documents the journey of the play from its inception in 1989 to the this production when it was in London last year. It is an oral history from the participants in all the workshops, full productions and revivals. (Did you know that Debra Messing of Will & Grace played Harper when she was in a New York University workshop of Perestroika before it opened on Broadway?) You can also read the Slate article that was the beginning of the book here.

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
South Pacific

Let's take a break from the new stuff and go back. Right now Bartlett Sher has the revival of My Fair Lady in previews at Lincoln Center, but about ten years ago he wowed people with his revival of Rogers & Hammerstein's South Pacific with Kelly O'Hara, Matthew Morrison, Brazilian baritone Paulo Szot, and a 40 piece orchestra. Here are some excerpts.

The show was broadcast on PBS, and I've got it right here if you want to see the whole thing.

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Jesus Christ Superstar

NBC released a new video today of Brandon Victor Dixon (Judas) singing "Superstar" - but not with the cast of Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert. This is an acoustic version of the song with just a guitar and the 400 voices of Choir!Choir!Choir!. It is pretty spectacular and just might be the best part of your day.

Oops! Looks like they pulled the video.

Last edited:

gvd_rm

Donator
Reaction score
Angels In America

Angels_America_Logo_550.jpg

When Angels in America arrived in 1993 to a Pulitzer Prize and universal acclaim you couldn't help but see it as an AIDS play. After all, it was the height of the death toll. I remember every week the local gay paper, The Washington Blade, would have about 20 pages of obituaries. Of course, author Tony Kushner's sights were set much higher and I think that now on its 25th Anniversary it's easier to grasp that AIDS was just the trigger for this sweeping look at our contemporary world where old certainties are crumbling but new stronger visions rise to take their place.

(No, Angels isn't a musical which is what we normally discuss here. But I'm writing about the play because I think people are interested in it. Also, see my post from last June on the London production and a synopsis of the story if this is new to you. There is also a short video teaser from the telecast of the London production.)

And I am happy to report that the reviews coming in for this transfer of London's National Theater production directed by Marianne Elliott are pretty much all unqualified raves. This, for a play that takes ten hours to get through (in one day including breaks - you can also choose to see the two parts on two different nights).

AIA_AngelAndPrior525.jpg

Amanda Lawrence is the bedraggled Angel and Andrew Garfield is Prior Walter, a reluctant prophet.

Even critics who aren't fans of the play found good things to say.

AIA_lee-pace-andrew-garfield-nathan-lane-525.jpg

Everyone plays more than one part. Here Andrew Garfield as Prior is between two ghosts of his ancestors played by Lee Pace (left) and Nathan Lane (right). It is the only scene Andrew and Nathan have together and Andrew has said it it the hardest in the play for him. He is supposed to be scared, but Nathan keeps cracking him up.

If Nathan Lane and Andrew Garfield are nominated in separate categories, there may be Tony Awards for both this year. Lane is already a two-time Tony winner and Garfield was nominated previously for playing Biff in Death of a Salesman with Philip Seymour Hoffman.

There are glowing notices for all the actors - though the weak link seems to be Lee Pace as Joe Pitt - the closeted conservative Mormon attorney. It is probably the hardest role in the piece because Kushner tears in to nearly every belief and decision Joe makes. Pace to me always seemed a bit miscast - too old for the part. It's one thing if Joe is around 30 with enough time ahead of him to change his ways and hopefully find a better life. It's something else entirely if he is 40 and discovers everything he has built his life on is wrong.

AIA_LeePaceJoePitt525.jpg

Lee Pace as Joe Pitt, who leaves his pill-addicted Mormon wife for Prior's ex-lover Louis.

Angels was a huge prestige production in its first incarnation, but it lost money running two plays in repertory for a year. Can Broadway sustain this new production? Well, if these reviews don't sell tickets I don't know what will.

AIA_FinalScene525.jpg

Prior blesses the audience with an encouragement for "More life."

“We won't die secret deaths anymore. The world only spins forward. We will be citizens. The time has come. Bye now. You are fabulous creatures, each and every one. And I bless you: More Life. The Great Work Begins.”

The cast talks about the experience of performing Angels in America.

For more information:

Read the new book The World Only Spins Forward: The Ascent of Angels in America by Isaac Butler and Dan Kois that documents the journey of the play from its inception in 1989 to the this production when it was in London last year. It is an oral history from the participants in all the workshops, full productions and revivals. (Did you know that Debra Messing of Will & Grace played Harper when she was in a New York University workshop of Perestroika before it opened on Broadway?) You can also read the Slate article that was the beginning of the book here.
Thank you for this tremendous update on the current version. It is always appreciated to read an actual account as we live in Australia it will be some time before we see it. Do you know whether the National Theatre (London's) production is on DVD yet?

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Angels in America

No, the London Angels is not on DVD yet. I am sure the reason is because they knew they were bringing the production to New York. It will probably be another year before it goes to streaming and/or DVD. But, at least we know it exists! This production has been preserved so you will get to see it at some point.

Keep an eye on the National Theater Live website - they may do another showing in movie theaters at some point. (And there's tons of other good stuff there, too!)

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Miscast

Miscast-Logo.png

Last night was the Miscast Gala Benefit for MCC - a non-profit off-Broadway theater company that specializes in putting up new work and running educational theater programs for high school kids. Every year they invite in stars to perform numbers that they would never actually be cast in.

(See some of last year's numbers by Ben Platt, Jennifer Holliday, and Norbert Leo Butz.)

Here are some of the highlights.

Gavin Lee, Ethan Slater, and Wesley Taylor (from SpongeBob Squarepants) perform "You Could Drive a Person Crazy" from Company

Robbie Fairchild (An American In Paris) performs "The Music and the Mirror" from A Chorus Line

Robbie Fairchild is doing Michael Bennett's original choreography for Cassie and the voice of Zach offstage is the original Zach - Robert LuPone. In addition to being an original cast member of ACL, Robert is Patti LuPone's brother and founded MCC in 1986.

(Want to compare Robbie Fairchild with Donna McKechnie doing the same moves? Here she is in the same grainy but miraculously preserved 1975 video that I put up last week that captured Sammy Williams's performance as Paul.)

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Television

NBC airs Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert tonight in the US. I like the idea of the concert approach - I think that will make it more accessible to a lot of audiences.

Looking ahead - what would like like to see in an upcoming live TV musical? The Ms Mojo website has some ideas below. What do you think? Do you have anything to add to the list?

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Easter Parade

Happy Easter! I noticed the Turner Classic Movies cable TV channel is showing Easter Parade tonight. I'm sure other cable and streaming channels are doing the same.

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Jesus Christ Superstar

Jesus-Christ-Superstar-Live-in-Concert-525.jpg

NBC delivered a stellar Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert Sunday night. The "in concert" part was a bit misleading - this was a fully staged, choreographed, and costumed show set out in the Marcy Armory in Brooklyn - a huge empty performance space the size of an aircraft hanger decked out as a crumbling ancient church surrounded by scaffolding. The large audience was on two sides of the performers - and that was the concert aspect.

jesus-christ-superstar-last-supper525.jpg

John Legend as Jesus, with Joshua Platt (2016's Fyiero in Wicked) on his left and Jason Tam (2008's Paul in the A Chorus Line) as Peter on his right.

Sure, there are quibbles. But to take on something this odd and produce it so well for a live one-off performance is mind-blowing.

Didn't see Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert? There are video links below - but note that they may be copyright restricted in some countries. If you can VPN into the US they will work. If I find bootlegs I will post them, but they tend to get slapped down pretty fast. The soundtrack will be available in two weeks and is available now for pre-order on iTunes. NBC usually releases these on DVD within a couple of months.

The unquestioned MVP of the night was Brandon Victor Dixon (Judas). He is the central role and he starts off the story with "Heaven on Their Minds" and ends it with "Superstar". Dixon, coming straight from playing Aaron Burr in Hamilton, was a perfect choice. One person tweeted "When you kill Alexander Hamilton and Jesus Christ and people still like you, you have to be doing something right!"

[NBC has deleted many of the videos]

John Legend (Jesus) brought something to the part I've never seen before - actual star power. When he stepped on stage, the crowd went wild. As he brushed by the spectators in the pit by the stage people reached out to touch him, to connect with him. Bingo! That is the metaphor of the whole piece - John didn't have to act the part of Jesus because the whole point was that Jesus was the John Legend of first century Jerusalem. Why didn't anyone think of this before? This should always be a star role.

However, John's smooth baritone voice isn't quite right for part - it's written for a rock tenor along the lines of Peter Cetera or Steve Perry. He couldn't deliver the power notes in "Gethsemane". But it's a trade-off I was willing to make.

Sara Barilles (Mary) was perfect - simple, earthy, direct, just feeling with no pretense. Her voice was ideal for the part. I am sure she will be singing these songs in her concerts for a long time. Ben Daniels as Pilate and Norm Lewis as Ciaphas brought their theater chops and gravitas to the bad guy roles.

It is very difficult to "stick the landing" in Jesus Christ Superstar. Once Pilate condemns Jesus you have the big "Superstar" number with Judas coming back with a Vegas backup band in a kind of 11 o'clock number. That's followed by the crucifixion and last words of Jesus with just an eerie instrumental piece to end the show.

Once Jesus is on the cross there is no way to avoid the religious icon that represents. Some directors embrace the religious (and turn off the non-religious audience), and others just try to show the blood and guts of a man dying and divorce it from the Christian symbolism (which snatches the ending away from the people of faith).

NBC found a way to tell the story. When Jesus dies, the cross begins to lift higher in the air until at one point the walls at the back of the theater split to form their own kind of cross. Then Jesus on the cross recedes back into the mist and light, until there is only light. It was a brilliant "create your own ending" solution, as beautiful as it was thought provoking. You could think of it as Jesus transcending death. You could also think of it as Jesus going from being just a man to a figure who's story would change history.

jesus-christ-superstar-live-crucifixion-cross525.jpg

For more information

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Mean-Girls-550.jpg

That this "Mean Girls" takes place (still at an Illinois high school) 14 years later than the film has proved no obstacle to Ms. Fey. After all, social media only increases opportunities for social climbing and subversion. The disconnect that troubles this musical isn't a matter of adapting to changing times... No, the trouble lies in the less assured translation of Ms. Fey's sly take on adolescent social angst into crowd-pleasing song and dance. Mr. Richmond and Ms. Benjamin's many (many) musical numbers are only passable by middle-of-the-road Broadway standards... - Ben Brantley, The New York Times

With a sharp and updated book by Tina Fey (30 Rock, SNL), and direction and dances by multiple Tony Award winner Casey Nicholaw (Book of Mormon, Aladdin), Mean Girls opened Sunday night, and it looks like an audience-pleasing show. But can you have a good musical when the music itself is only passable?

Although the critics were pretty much in consensus on what was good (performances, direction, story) and what was not so good (songs), they were divided on what that meant.

Fey doesn't venture far from the outline of the original movie, in which new girl Cady (Erika Henningsen) falls in with a trio of divas led by queen bee Regina (Taylor Louderman), betraying herself and her other friends in the process. The musical numbers (by Fey's husband Jeff Richmond and Nell Benjamin) don't grow organically out of the story or characters, so much as feel padded on. (Talk about padding -- the movie was 97 minutes, this show runs a full hour longer.) - Christopher Kelly, NJ.com

We'll watch and see how this show does. It doesn't look like awards bait, but the word of mouth is strong and could keep it running. (The same thing happened to another girl-power show in 2003: Wicked.)

For more information

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Carousel

Carousel_BW_525.jpg

Someone with no prior exposure to or familiarity with Carousel is more likely to appreciate this misguided production. But speaking as someone who knows Carousel inside and out, sitting through it was a disappointing, bewildering and frustrating experience. - Matt Windman, amNY

The tragic inevitability of Carousel has seldom come across as warmly or as chillingly as it does in this vividly reimagined revival. As directed by Jack O'Brien and choreographed by Justin Peck, with thoughtful and powerful performances by Mr. Henry and Ms. Mueller, the love story at the show's center has never seemed quite as ill-starred or, at the same time, as sexy. - Ben Brantley, The New York Times

The new revival of Rogers & Hammerstein's Carousel directed by Jack O'Brien seems to have split the critics as much as it did preview audiences. One the one hand the show itself is something of a legend. It was Oscar Hammerstein's favorite of his shows with Rodgers, and the score is a classic with songs like "If I Loved You", "You'll Never Walk Alone", and the first act climax of "Soliloquy" where the main character feels the impact of the coming of his first child. The show stars four substantial current singing/acting talents: Joshua Henry (Hamilton), Jessie Mueller (Beautiful, Waitress), Lindsay Mendez (Wicked, Godspell) and opera star Renee Fleming. Add on a 40 piece orchestra and the choreography of New York City Ballet's Justin Peck and, really, how bad could it be?

carousel-chorusdance_525.jpg

The dance numbers by Justin Peck are regarded as a highlight by audiences and critics.

Let’s state the obvious. Carousel is a masterpiece, a sublime piece of 20th Century musical theater that includes among its abundant treasures a song, “If I Loved You”, that ranks among the most beautiful ever written for the stage... If only Billy Bigelow could keep his fists off women.

“Problematic” is the generous description overheard from one patron about a life lesson or two embedded in Carousel, but feel free to use stronger language. Odious works.

Whether O’Brien and his producer Scott Rudin should have (or, for all I know, could have) tinkered in some way with this masterwork, somehow lessening carnival barker Billy’s penchant for slapping around the women in his life – and, as crucially, the women’s acceptance played as some noble marker of all-forgiving love – makes for a larger argument about art and history than I could survive without endless “but then agains.”

So we’re left with a decide-for-yourself philosophical quandary about old art in a new world, and the marvelous Broadway production that raises it. - Greg Evans, Deadline

You can't revive Carousel in 2018 without having to come to terms with the domestic abuse that hovers at the core of the story. Not that it is a taboo subject - it happened back then and it still happens now. But people are waiting for Billy to either be punished for it, or realize how horrible he has been, or for Julie to turn her back on him. None of those things happen. The show gives a nod that this is a bad thing, but he still heads off to heaven, never acknowledging what he has done, as Julie fondly remembers her abusive husband as the chorus swells singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".

carosuel-bench2018_525.jpg

Jesse Mueller as Julie and Joshua Henry as Billy in the bench scene of Carousel at the Imperial Theater.

And some reviewers (as well as audience members) aren't having it.

Some Broadway musicals are timeless. Carousel is not one of them.

Director Jack O’Brien’s new revival of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s 1945 smash stars several of the hottest actors currently gracing the Great White Way... but none of that can make up for the show’s one key problem: The story is Just. Plain. Bad...

I won’t go much further into the story but suffice it to say that while I recognize that this show was written at a different time, and it takes place at the end of the 1800s, the revival is made for modern audiences now living in the #MeToo era, and this production makes no effort to tell the tale through a fresh lens. Billy continues to make poor choice after poor choice — even hitting a second key female character — but he gives one final speech at the end, realizing he did it all for love, and all is forgiven, right? Right? - Breanne L. Heldman, Entertainment Weekly

Lindsay Mendez gets the best reviews as Carrie, Julie Jordan's oh-so-practical best friend who marries Mr. Snow. Critics also praised Joshua Henry for his knock-out "Soliloquy". The were more divided on Jesse Mueller as Julie - let's face it Julie is not that great a role. She mostly just stands around and accepts things as they come. Some also noted that the chemistry between the leads seemed to be rather bland.

carousel-bows_525.jpg

The cast takes opening night bows on designer Santo Loquasto's impressionistic celestial set.​

The verdict seems to be that if you have never seen a full production of Carousel, this is worth the visit. And it should make a fantastic cast album. But be prepared for something of a downer of a story where the perpetrator kind of gets off scott free.

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Aspects of Love

Love Changes Everything by Andrew Lloyd Webber from Aspects of Love

Aspects of Love was Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1989 musical that followed his wildly successful Phantom of the Opera. Directed by Trevor Nunn (Les Miserables) and starring Michael Ball (the original Marius in Les Miz) it was a hit in London and ran for about three years.

The transfer to Broadway did not fare as well. Even though the production was brought over with the original stars, the critics were unimpressed and it closed less than a year after it opened losing almost all of its investment - which made it at the time the biggest flop in Broadway history in terms of sheer money lost.

But it did have a couple of good songs and it made Michael Ball a musical star in the UK.

I Sleep With Everyone by Gerard Alessandrini from Forbidden Broadway

Have I introduced you to the great Gerard Alessandrini? He writes parody songs for the off-Broadway musical review Forbidden Broadway which has been in front of audiences off and on for nearly 30 years.

Here is his crack at Aspects of Love where he finds a more accurate description of the plot in re-titling the big song as "I Sleep With Everyone".

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
TV

PBS in the US Schedules Broadway Stars in Concert

StarsInConcertPBS525.jpg

Appearing on sucessive Friday nights will be (left to right) Sutton Foster, Leslie Odom Jr, Andrew Ranalls, and Stephanie J. Block

Beginning this week PBS in the US will broadcast a series of concerts by Broadway stars as part of their Live from Lincoln Center series. Sutton Foster (Thoroughly Modern Millie, Drowsy Chaperone, Anything Goes) will be the first installment tomorrow (April 20), along with her special guest Jonathon Groff (Spring Awakening, Hamilton).

The full schedule is:
  • Apr 20 - Sutton Foster
  • Apr 27 - Leslie Odom Jr. (Hamilton, Smash)
  • May 4 - Stephanie J. Block (Falsettos, Wicked, and next season in The Cher Show)
  • May 11 - Andrew Ranalls (Book of Mormon, Falsettos)

In other news - the revival of My Fair Lady opens tonight at Lincoln Center.

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
My Fair Lady

MFL_Logo525.jpg

The plush and thrilling Lincoln Center Theater revival of Lerner and Loewe's My Fair Lady that opened on Thursday at the Vivian Beaumont Theater reveals Eliza Doolittle as a hero instead of a puppet - and reveals the musical, despite its provenance and male authorship, as an ur-text of the #MeToo moment. Indeed, that moment has made My Fair Lady, which had its Broadway premiere in 1956, better than it ever was. - Jesse Green, The New York Times

The new production of Lerner & Lowe's My Fair Lady opened tonight at Lincoln Center directed by that wizard of revivals Bartlett Sher (South Pacific, King & I, Fiddler on the Roof). The reviews are in and they are mostly positive - a few of them outright raves (like the New York Times, above).

Everyone seemed to have a slightly different take on the two leads. All the reviews applauded their acting. But the balance between the characters was new. They are both close to the same age, though Lauren Ambrose as Eliza reads younger and Harry Hadden-Paton as Higgins is aged slightly. She is certainly intimidated by Higgins, but the power dynamic seems to swing in Eliza's favor as the evening goes on. As she grows, Higgins stays the same - a boy in his own world playing with his toys.

Perhaps the most controversial aspect of the performances is Ambrose vocal performance. She can sing, and prettily - but not with the authority one is used to hearing in this part by the likes of Julie Andrews and Marni Nixon. Now, combined with her acting choices, some found that perfectly suited to the character. Others weren't sold.

Vocally, she nails every note, including the final ones that are the pink frosting on “I Could Have Danced All Night” and “Show Me.” Shaw himself would be in awe. - Robert Hofler, TheWrap

This jubilant revival is meticulously mounted and entirely welcome – despite the eccentric casting choice of Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle. Ambrose, a dramatic actress noted for her style and intelligence... does not leap to mind as the perfect Eliza. She doesn’t even leap to mind as the okay Eliza. It’s a triumph of acting that this non-singer manages to sing like a trouper. But the strain shows. - Marilyn Stasio, Variety

MFL-_lauren_ambrose425.jpg

Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle

The spectacular set design includes a revolving two-story structure for Henry Higgins study. The costumes were universally praised as being original, but with a hint of the work Cecil Beaton did in the Ascot Races scene. These were designed by Sher's usual team of Michael Yeargan (sets), Catherine Zuber (costumes) and Donald Holder (lighting).

my-fair-lady-set-design425.jpg

The rest of the cast got great notices. Diana Rigg (credits too numerous to mention) was pointed to as "luxury casting" by several reviewers. And Norbert Leo Butz (Wicked, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) tore up the joint as Alfred Doolittle (though a couple of people had issues with his nebulous accent).

The musical pulls out all the stops for a raucous production number, “Get Me to the Church on Time,” which marks the begrudging transformation of Eliza’s father (Norbert Leo Butz, with his usual impatience de vivre) from ne’er-do-well to well-to-do. But its default mode is elegance. Sher is acutely alert to the shifts of balance within both My Fair Lady itself and the way it plays to contemporary audiences, and nowhere is that clearer than in his clever solution to the show’s notoriously slippery ending. This revival has devised a way to have its scone and eat it too. - Adam Feldman, Time Out New York

MFL_norbert_leo_butz_and_the_company_425.jpg

Norbert Leo Butz as Alfred P. Doolittle singing "Get Me To The Church On Time"

It seems Bartlett Sher has delivered a My Fair Lady for our times. The beautifully mounted production is spectacular, but manages to give us an Eliza that is not brow-beaten into submission, but rather launched into a new life of her own choosing.

For more information

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

HarryPotterBannerxBroadwayWorld_m.jpg

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 & 2 opened Sunday night at the huge Lyric Theater and, much like that other two part play that transferred over from London (Angels in America), the reviews are raves.

The story picks up right where Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows ends - with the next generation of Potters, Weasleys, and Malfoys heading off to Hogwarts.

Three families (from left to right): Draco Malfoy (Alex Price) and his son Scorpius Malfoy (Anthony Boyle). Hermione Granger (Noma Dumezweni), Ron Weasley (Paul Thornley) and their daughter, Rose (Susan Heyward). Harry Potter (Jamie Parker), Ginny Potter (Poppy Miller) and their son Albus Potter (Sam Clemmett).

Clearly, this is not just another kids movie adapted to sucker parents into paying ten times as much to tell their kids the same story on stage that they can see on the DVD (*cough* Frozen *cough*). This is a new tale with a mix of old and new characters.

HP04HarryPotterandtheCursed-Child525.jpg

Usually I quote several reviews, but Chris Jones of the Chicago Tribune is so completely on top of not just what's on stage, but what it all means - so I am giving you his full review here.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child opens on Broadway, the J.K. Rowling magic telling us we're not safe

“Harry, there’s never a perfect answer in this messy, emotional world,” says the deceased Dumbledore, his portrait talking from the stage. “Perfection is beyond the reach of humankind, beyond the reach of magic. In every shining moment of happiness is that drop of poison: the knowledge that pain will come again.”

Yes, dear reader, it surely will. Better, then, to heed Professor Dumbledore and head to the theater.

As based on a story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, written by Thorne and directed by Tiffany with organic, still-magical movement by Steven Hoggett, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” opened Sunday night inside Broadway’s gorgeously renovated Lyric Theatre. It is, at once, a feast of epic theatricality in celebration of the imagination; an immersive coda to the most powerful literary brand of a generation; and a must-see, totally enveloping, thoroughly thrilling chance to experience the global power of shared storytelling at its most robust.

But what’s the real reason that people are fighting for costly tickets and clamoring to see the leading members of the original London cast perform two consecutive shows with a total running time of more than five hours? What are the real secrets of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two”?

No, they’re not the plot points and revelations that the producers exhort the audience to keep secret, understandably trying to extend one of the great delights of this show, which is to watch diverse peoples from all over the world around you squirm and cry out with pleasurable surprise as they hear the answers to questions lingering from their youth, back when they still read books with flashlights under the covers. Back before phones killed so much familial feeling. Nor do those secrets involve the plethora of theatrical tricks within a show filled with Jamie Harrison’s magic, which (remarkably) manages to be both extraordinary and old-fashioned theatrical fun for the Muggles.

The real secrets are of the heart, and they are revealed by Dumbledore, deep in Part Two. They explain everything about why the Potter phenomenon is so intense, long-lasting and, incredibly for these times, still capable of rising above all the usual divisions of race, gender, class and economic circumstance.

Most kids’ literature for the past couple of generations has focused on telling children that they are safe. But as adults well know, even if they usually pretend otherwise, children are not safe in our world. Children learn this fast. By admitting the presence of danger — the inevitability of pain — the great J.K. Rowling signaled to the smart children of the world that she was willing to tell them the truth. And they loved her for it, and they only love her more as they have become adults, many with kids of their own.

Of course, Dumbledore doesn’t stop there. He comes with advice, Rowling’s advice, this show’s advice, on how to be a parent and how to be a kid, which, weirdly enough, involves most of the same stuff: “Be honest to those you love. Show them your pain. To suffer is as human as to breathe.”

It’s all a version of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love.” It’s why we go to the theater, and it explains why “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” will be on Broadway for years, if not decades.

HP_HarryGinny525.jpg

Poppy Miller as Ginny Weasley-Potter and Jamie Parker and Harry Potter

Actually, Edward James Hyland’s Dumbledore is just a minor character, really, in a next-generation sequel that begins with a 37-year-old Harry (Jamie Parker) and Ginny (Poppy Miller), along with their friends, Hermione (Noma Dumezweni) and Ron (Paul Thornley), and their frenemy Draco Malfoy (Alex Price), all sending their own kids off to Hogwarts, the parents fearing for the safety and happiness of their children, as parents do, and the kids worrying about how they will live up to their parents’ expectations.

AlbusScorpiusWheelchair525.jpg

The two boys at the core of the story — Albus Potter (Sam Clemmett) and Scorpius Malfoy (Anthony Boyle) carry especially heavy burdens, which might explain why Albus is sorted by the all-knowing hat into Slytherin House and why his dad keeps having nightmares about his own youth, staring out at his childhood self. “Cursed Child” does not restrict itself, like the famous novels, to a single year of school. Time is more pliant now. Albus and Scorpius look for allies — maybe Delphi Diggory (Jessie Fisher), will be one, maybe not. But they learn that parentage means everything and nothing. Any more plot than that will just spoil your experience.

I saw “Cursed Child” prior to its opening in London and, in terms of the acting, the principal cast only has improved, especially the fabulous Boyle, whose emotional energy empowers the production, and Dumezweni, whose complexity and moral authority have only risen. This is very much a generous, ensemble experience, as of course were the films. Harry Potter does not fight alone.

And all the things that make “Cursed Child” so theatrically remarkable are only intensified now. The list begins with how Tiffany, Hoggett and the designer Christine Jones carved out a theatrical playing space for the storytelling, something that interacts with what you have in your head and does not compete with the images of the movies. That is, Snape still looks like Snape, Dolores Umbridge like Dolores Umbridge, but when Albus and Scorpius stare out at the intimidating sight of Hogwarts, all Tiffany and his lighting designer, Neil Austin, choose to do is turn on the houselights.

At that moment, you see Hogwarts inside your mind and you’re struck by the great beauty of both the theater and the people inside, all thinking and feeling as one about the power and limits of love.

HP_CastInHogwarts525.jpg

Notes

While this is not a musical, it does have some original songs by Imogen Heap and movement by choreographer Steven Hoggett (Once, Rocky, Glass Menagerie). It also is the most expensive non-musical play ever produced in New York - with a budget of around $68 million. That means that it will have to play at capacity and run well into its second year to recoup the investors money - but I would say that is a pretty healthy bet. I think this could be a Cats or Phantom that runs, like Chris Jones said, for decades. That would be good news for the Lyric Theater which hasn't had a hit show since Cole Porter's musical Fifty Million Frenchmen opened in 1929. But that's a story for another day.

The next production of Cursed Child will be in Melbourne Australia in early 2019.

For More Information

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Summer: The Donna Summer Musical

summer_logo2-550.jpg

Lookin' for some hot stuff baby this evenin'? Look somewhere other than the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, now home to Summer: The Donna Summer Musical (inventive title, no?), the latest addition to Broadway's never-ending assembly line of mindless jukebox musicals constructed around a singer-songwriter's biggest pop hits. - Matt Windman, amNY

The last musical of the season is Summer: The Donna Summer Musical, and the critics seem to be saying "Enough is Enough". Some were willing to let the playfulness of last month's Jimmy Buffett jukebox tuner, Margaritaville, counterbalance the silly story. But Summer is trying to seriously tell the biography of it's namesake a la Jersey Boys or Beautiful. The problem is, to do that you have to be willing to air the dirty laundry to have a compelling story. And Summer skips over a lot.

The second problem is the music. While it is fun and beloved, dance music is so lyrically vapid that it can never move the story forward. So, while a ten minute "MacArthur Park" is entertaining, it stops the drama in its tracks. And that happens over and over with this disco diva's repertoire.

Summer_Disco01_525.jpg

To be clear, the clunking weirdness of this jukebox musical devoted to the "queen of disco" has nothing to do with the three singers representing Summer at different stages of her life. Storm Lever as young "Duckling Donna," Ariana DeBose as "Disco Donna," and-most stage-commandingly -LaChanze as "Diva Donna" do all they can to animate and give variously fierce or smooth fuel to the show's retinue of Summer's standards; the same goes for the hard-working, hard-dancing ensemble. (LaChanze particularly stands out.) - Tim Teeman, Daily Beast

There is lots of praise for the performers, especially Ariana DeBose and LaChanze as the mature Donnas. And I know some people who have enjoyed the show simply on the strength of those ladies and the disco music.

Summer_LaChanze.jpg

LaChanze as Diva Donna

I have to say, I was wondering how all these disco diva musicals were going to sort themselves out. Then, a week after The Cher Show announced a Broadway opening for next October, Summer was pushed in as the last opening for this spring - I am sure hoping to avoid comparisons. But just avoiding the competition wasn't enough.

In other news, Tina - the new Tina Turner musical - opened in London last week to positive, but somewhat qualified reviews. It isn't easy to make this stuff work - maybe Jersey Boys deserves more credit than it usually gets.

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Season Review

And... SCENE! 2017-2018 Season is History!

What a difference a year makes! I hope we all savored last year (2016-2017 Season), because that kind of creativity doesn't happen every year. Remember? The Great Comet, Groundhog Day, Dear Evan Hansen, great revivals of Cats, Falsettos, Miss Saigon, Sunday in the Park with George, Sunset Boulevard and Hello Dolly?

This year was pretty meager in comparison, at least as far as musicals go.

New Musicals

The golden crown of this season was, as expected, The Band's Visit which transferred from off-Broadway in the fall. It's a small, finely crafted story of Arab-Israeli lives soaked in the rhythm and tone of the middle east.

The only thing that could hinder it in its march to take the Best Musical and Original Score Tonys is (I can't believe I'm saying this) SpongeBob SquarePants - a joyous romp that, like The Band's Visit, appeals to our better angels, albeit in a goofier way. (My money is still on TBV).

The cast of SpongeBob SquarePants records their eclectic album. Expect to see this nominated for Best Score when the Tony nominations come out.

The season's biggest surprise is that the musical juggernaut that is pulling in incredible amounts of money and may change the future of Broadway wasn't Disney's Frozen - the show we have been waiting two years to see. No, it was Springsteen on Broadway - now running through December 2018. The Boss pulls in almost as much money as Hamilton, but (wait for it...) he only does five shows a week (everyone else does eight). Light bulbs have to be going off in LA and London - who's next? U2? Paul McCartney? Beyonce? James Taylor? Sting?

Springsteen-Jumbo425.jpg

Frozen and Mean Girls will run and be enjoyed by most, though each show carries a layer of disappointment. Frozen has Disney marketing and a huge advance sale - some $90 million - which means it recouped its investment before it even opened. Even so, it is not selling as well as expected. Disney has the ticketing software to discount seats down to a price that the market will bear - so they will have nearly full houses and, what do they care - the show is already paid for. It's the ticket re-sellers that will be holding the bag. As for Mean Girls - they should be able to pull off a year (they are actually selling better than Frozen right now).

As for the rest - Prince of Broadway closed in less than three months, and Summer is already struggling. Margaritaville is doing well enough to make it to the Tonys, but I doubt it will last much past the summer.

Revivals

My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center is pleasing audiences and critics. The sets, the full orchestra, a large cast and thoughtful direction add up to a satisfying visit with a classic. Even those that grumble about Lauren Ambrose's singing, give her credit for her acting. Back down in Times Square, Carousel is weighted with a few more negatives - it's a tougher story to play and the cast doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders. Still, great singing, great score.

Scroll around this 360 degree video of "Momma Will Provide" from Once on this Island sung by Alex Newell (last seen on Glee)

The most satisfying revival is the one that is having the hardest time selling tickets - Michael Arden's recreation of Once on the Island. He strips the musical down to the basics of storytelling on a Caribbean island wrecked by a hurricane. While the title isn't a classic, I hope more people (and Tony voters) find this gem.

Plays

Here is where Broadway is shining brightly. The heat this season is all in the plays. And nothing is bigger than Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. As expected, this is a Hamilton sized property. Tickets are difficult to get and the show will certainly run for years because, like Lin Manuel-Miranda's hit, it doesn't need stars. They can recast these roles forever and won't affect box office one bit. I think it's Harry that is depressing sales over at Frozen. Harry is giving kids a new story while Frozen sticks with the same-old same-old.

Right behind it is it's sister transfer from London, Angels in America. Both Harry and Angels should get nominations in every acting category. (In last month's Oliver Awards in London, that was a tough break for Harry when Angels took them all.) But this take on Tony Kushner's play directed by Marianne Elliott is mesmerizing everyone who sees it. That being said - there are tickets available, so while it is doing well, it is not selling out.

New clips released this week from Angels in America.

But that's not all - since we focus on the music of Broadway, I haven't told you about the other plays - but the goodness is really stacked up in the theater district right now.

People are fighting for tickets to see the revival of Edward Albee's Three Tall Women. That's because the three women are Alison Pill (Milk), Laurie Meltcalf (Rosanne, A Dolls House Part 2), and (gasp) Glenda Fucking Jackson (Women in Love, A Touch of Class, Elizabeth R, Hedda Gabler, King Lear). People are comparing Glenda Jackson's performance to Laurette Taylor in The Glass Menagerie or Jessica Tandy in Streetcar Named Desire. Ms. Jackson is back in New York for the first time in 30 years (following her political career in the UK).

Last night Denzel Washington opened in Eugene O'Neil's The Iceman Cometh - a marathon of a play, but the papers are filled with raves.

Lobby Hero by Kenneth Lonegran is on Broadway for the first time and Chris Evans and Michael Cera (yes, from the movies) got great reviews.

Taking everything together, it hasn't been a bad year.

Tony Nominations are announced this coming Tuesday morning, May 1 at 8:30 EST. The Tony Awards will be broadcast June 10, hosted by Joshua Groban and Sara Bareilles.

Go back and relive the season here at GayHeaven

Last edited: