• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Gay men 'can be identified by their Facebook friends

H

hammervice

Homosexual men can be identified just by looking at their Facebook friends, according to unpublished research by two students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The study found that it was possible to predict men's sexual orientation by analysing the gender and sexuality of their contacts on the social networking site – even if the rest of the information on their profile is set to private.

The small-scale survey indicates that people who believe they have discreet online habits may still be making personal information about themselves public.

As part of the study the researchers Carter Jernigan and Behram Mistree scanned the Facebook friends of more than 1,500 fellow students who indicated their sexual orientation – straight, gay or bisexual – on their profiles.

This analysis revealed that homosexual men had proportionally more gay friends than straight men, allowing the students to devise a computer programme to predict the sexual orientation of other Facebook users based solely on the sexualities of their friends.

They ran this programme on 10 men who were known to be homosexual but did not reveal this information on their profiles. In each case, the software correctly identified the men to be gay.

“When they first did it, it was absolutely striking – we said, ‘Oh my God – you can actually put some computation behind that,’ ” Hal Abelson, a MIT computer science professor, told the Boston Globe.

“That pulls the rug out from a whole policy and technology perspective that the point is to give you control over your information – because you don’t have control over your information.”

In total the researchers ran their software on 947 people who did not disclose their sexual orientation on their profiles, but it failed to accurately identify lesbians or bisexuals of either gender.

Jernigan and Mistree say they are attempting to get their study, titled Gaydar, published in a scientific journal.

what bullshit

Mavi

Reaction score
^ that wouldnt work on me.. cuz i only have 1 gay guy on my facebook...

Reaction score
Instead of wasting their precious time on stuff like this they should try something more important and to stop assuming the technolog can give you all the answers to any question you have... D=<

ggold

Reaction score
And you could eliminate the whole basis of this "study" by allowing people to not display their "friends".

dysion

Reaction score
The sociological basis behind this study is probably skewed along the lines of frogs without feet can't hear. Simply because the program was originally based on the premise that the social circles that we would maintain within a digital society while at college would also translate to the same society outside of a college mentality.

leslieh

Reaction score
Can't work with me, most of my FB friends are straight dudes LOL.

X

XMan101

Most of mine are well & truly straight lol

but it failed to accurately identify lesbians or bisexuals

That's me safe then :p Couldn't give a damn actually, way past caring who knows what!

X

XMan101

^ that wouldnt work on me.. cuz i only have 1 gay guy on my facebook...

Well you can always add me if you want another one :p

Most of mine are Americans I think, but I get strange people I've never heard of adding me. If they seem ok I accept, but I very rarely use it. Don't really like those things, they're fun for 5 minutes!

Gayboynick

Reaction score
A guy once said to me here in Uk that I meaning me don't look gay,I said ok so what does a gay guy look like then?? i am supposed to talk camp wear makeup and have a silly walk, i have none of the things about me that are supposed to be gay but i am 100% gay,I told him that gay guys come from all walks of life ie taxi drivers postman milkman hospital workers and he looked so shocked, so because i look normal in his eyes I just aint gay,these people who do research don't know anything.

diedonner

Reaction score
A quick study, a simple straight forward (hey no pun intended!) hypothesis, and ready made testing grounds courtesy of Facebook. It sound to me like the most convenient way to get something (yikes, anything!!) published. Didn't it say that's ultimately what they're hoping to do? Bravo, professor.

blah blah blah.....

Last edited:
G

glamfunk84

I guess they think all gay people be "twannin'" it up and are always flamboyant, lol Judging people is not cool, lol

I

intensepump

hmmm...and the point to identifying who is gay is???

jail for gays?

Probably paid for by Jerry Falwell Ministries

garth33

Super Vip
Reaction score
for me the shoes are always a dead giveaway...

begay.gif

firekev

Donator
Reaction score
I always thought the giveaway was not having "Interested in Women" displayed, but so far nobody's called me on it.

L

Lotuskun

This is actually true haha. All my gay friends know each other, and they know my friends but they don't know me. It's confusing, but her if you look at the mutual friends or what not, it's pretty obvious.

sniper90

Reaction score
Problem with this survey is it's just a snapshot. As soon as people get savvy to the effect they will adapt and become socially obscure.

There was also some research done a while back that said you could identify gay men by their fingernails -flat fingernails mean your straight, whereas gay men have a kind of raised curve (reader immediately examines own nails!).

Judith Butler (Berkeley)has called the scientific establishment into question on matters of sexuality or gender. The language of science is very biassed -active/passive genes etc. Gay or feminised men have the same genes as regular types, but they're 'passive' lol. It's all a game of politics of course.

My nail is curved ;o

L

LuiM

Lol I see this "research" as a kind of hidden expression of hatred toward gays - with an intention to keep intimidating gay people.
It wants to send out a message: Gays should be afraid of their friends. They should live in constant fear of being revealed. They should keep hiding themselves in closets...
That's the message of this "research" - as how I see it.

G

glamfunk84

Lol I see this "research" as a kind of hidden expression of hatred toward gays - with an intention to keep intimidating gay people.
It wants to send out a message: Gays should be afraid of their friends. They should live in constant fear of being revealed. They should keep hiding themselves in closets...
That's the message of this "research" - as how I see it.

It does seem like it lol