• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Gay Olympian shows there’s more than one way to come out

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Gay Olympian shows there’s more than one way to come out
OutSports | by Jim Buzinski | Apr 26, 2017, 10:45am PDT

485089950.0.jpg

Shawn Barber after winning the 2015 world championship in the pole vault.

Shawn Barber has taken a subdued approach.

World champion and Olympic pole vaulter Shawn Barber has shown there is more than one way to come out as gay.

Barber, who holds both U.S. and Canadian citizenship, announced on Facebook Monday morning in a brief post that he was “gay and proud.” And that’s been it.

Since his announcement, Barber has made no other comments. He did not acknowledge any of the 248 comments on the Facebook post and has not posted anything else there or on Twitter or Instagram. He has also not given an interview to any media outlet.

When we first saw the post, Cyd and I waited a bit before publishing something since the 54 words he wrote were the extent of it and we wanted confirmation. Cyd got the Canadian Olympic Committee to confirm Barber’s Facebook page wasn’t hacked. And his agent confirmed to a Canadian website that the post was made by Barber. The athlete has yet to respond to messages from Cyd or myself.

This reticence stands in contrast to the usual way for an LGBT athlete to come out. On Outsports we generally work with the athlete, coach or administrator on a detailed coming out story. Other athletes have gone to major mainstream media outlets to share their stories in great detail, in print, on radio and TV.

Barber has done none of these and that’s OK. He is certainly a big name in his sport — Barber is one of only 21 men to ever jump 6 meters. It’s a rarefied group and a big deal. His story has received international attention.

He won the 2015 world championships competing for Canada and hopes to defend his title this year. Barber vaults for the University of Akron and is set to compete in this week’s Drake Relays, always a spring highlight in track and field.

Perhaps Barber is shy and doesn’t want the attention of having to discuss his sexual orientation, especially with big meets coming up. Maybe he’s still embarrassed by the 2016 incident prior to the Olympics where he was suspended and then had the suspension overturned.

Or maybe Barber simply wanted the world to know he was gay, to show he was out and proud and have that be that. Visibility is the key and we now have an elite athlete who is showing you can be a champion and openly gay and the world won’t end. A person has the right to say as little or as much as they want about their orientation.

Shawn Barber may have only written 54 words:

Gay and proud! Thank you to my parents for being such a great support. I continue to grow as a person and have a great support group. My parents are my greatest support and have helped me through a lot recently. To my friends, you are always my friends and i love you too!

But these sparse words contain a great power and message and just writing them was more than enough.

Source

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
I can't imagine the pressure he felt as a worldwide known athlete to come out...I hope that makes him happy and leads him to find joy in life outside of the sport.

barbershaw.jpg

A gorgeous ginger. Just one more reason to love Canada. :p

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
A gay "pole vaulter"...

The jokes write themselves...

Just saying...

But God is he fucking hot!