• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Black Pastors' Group Urges Civil Disobedience Against Gay Marriage Rul

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Black Pastors' Group Urges Civil Disobedience Against Gay Marriage Ruling
NewsMax | By Todd Beamon | Saturday, 27 Jun 2015 06:42 PM

Rev.%20Bill%20Owens_%20president%20of%20the%20Coalition%20of%20African-American%20Pastors%20%28CAAP%29.jpg

Rev. Bill Owens, president of the Coalition of African-American Pastors (CAAP)

The head of an organization of African-American pastors told Newsmax Saturday that Christians must oppose the Supreme Court's gay marriage ruling through civil disobedience because "you do something to get arrested to call attention to the injustice."

"I was in the civil rights movement, so I know how to do it" the Rev. Bill Owens, president of the Coalition of African-American Pastors (CAAP), said in an interview. "When we sat at the counters at restaurants, we knew we were going to be arrested. You do things to get arrested, to call attention to it.

"So many people were silent," he added. "The church people were absolutely silent on this issue. A few leaders spoke out, but the masses of the church people were silent."

When asked why people were unwilling to speak against President Barack Obama when he came out for gay marriage in 2012, Owens responded: "The whites didn't want to come out against Obama since he endorsed it so strongly and they didn't want to be called bigots — and the blacks didn't want to say they were betraying a black man.

"I came out very powerfully against Mr. Obama when he stood for same-sex marriage."

A sharply divided Supreme Court ruled 5-4 on Friday that gays and lesbians had a legal right to marry in all 50 states. Only 36 states and the District of Columbia had allowed gay marriage.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the majority opinion, just as he did in the court's previous three major gay rights cases dating back to 1996.

Chief Justice John Roberts and the courts three other conservatives — Justices Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito, and Clarence Thomas — each filed their own separate dissenting opinions.

Scalia slammed the majority's opinion as a "threat to American democracy."

The decision "says that my ruler and the ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court," Scalia said.

Founded in 1993, CAAP is based in Memphis and has more than 7,000 members. In 2012, the group spoke out against both President Obama and the NAACP for their gay marriage support.

In April, the group called on liberal Justices Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Elena Kagan to recuse themselves from the case because of their "stated bias" on the issue.

"Their positions were already known," Owens told Newsmax. "That takes away from the credibility of the court's decision.

"They got it wrong in the Dred Scott case," he added, referring to the 1857 court ruling that blacks were property and not American citizens. "The Supreme Court doesn't always get it right. This is one time they really got it wrong."

Despite the court's ruling, "I absolutely would not do a gay marriage," Owens declared. "Absolutely.

"I think of our children," Owens continued. He is the father of two young adopted children. "What it's going to do to our children. What kind of world are they going to grow up in?

"I've said for two years that we're going to have to have civil disobedience. They were very cunning in the way they did it," he said, referencing gay-rights advocates.

"Since I was in the civil rights movement, I know that if the people come together in force, things will happen. How they will happen, I don't know.

"The homosexual community has not shown all of what it's going to do," Owens said. He mentioned a 2013 California law that allows boys and girls to use the same bathrooms and showers in public schools.

"They have a game plan that, now that the Supreme Court has ruled, will take this country down a very immoral path," Owens said.

He told Newsmax that he believed that President Obama had always supported gay marriage.

"I knew that he was going to do it the second term," Owens told Newsmax. "His deal was, 'Get me elected the first time, and I'll come out for same-sex marriage in my second term.'

"He deceived the American people, because the black community would not have backed him had he come out the first time for same-sex marriage. Some people just didn't want to speak against Obama."

Owens reiterated his call for civil disobedience, acknowledging that "our work is cut out for us.

"It's going to be much harder, because we're going to have to go from state to state. It's going to be hard to do, but it can be done.

"Remember, blacks worked for 300 years for civil rights in the courts. Three-hundred long years. It's not something that we're going to win overnight.

"There is no quick fix, but I think now the church will rise up," Owens added. "All the Christian churches in the United States that believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, they need to rise up."

The organization is asking those who believe in traditional marriage to sign a petition on its website.

"We're asking people to rise up and be ready to go to jail," Owens told Newsmax. "Why go to jail? To let it be known that we will not bow down, we will not give up, whatever the costs.

"It’s the new civil rights movement, because they are taking away our rights. They are taking away the Christian's rights. This is just a start.

"We have nothing against homosexuals," Owens added, "but when you start talking about marriage, and then indoctrinating children, where are we going? Where is this society headed?"

SOURCE

This was my favorite part:

"It’s the new civil rights movement, because they are taking away our rights. They are taking away the Christian's rights. ..."

One would think members of one minority who depended on other minorities to help achieve their own equality would be standing shoulder to shoulder with us not just the opposite.

Last edited:

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight...
He wants people to use the same tactics used to gain civil rights for one minority group to deny the rights of another...

Can you say hypocrite?

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Nice - a bigot complete with Hitler Moustache, just in case anyone can't tell what he is!

B.

Hyp

Director of Mergers & Acquisitions
Reaction score

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
He said he was in the civil rights movement????? Really. I think if he was, he must know what it means to be excluded. But on the other hand look into this face - so full of hate. And btw he is, or will be, a Pastor!

fkboy1

Reaction score
A 'Black' Hitler!!

Shame. :no:

He should be :slap: and :butslap:

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
"He mentioned a 2013 California law that allows boys and girls to use the same bathrooms and showers in public schools."
This is particularly dirty trick, mentioning young children to create a suggested a link between homosexuality and risk to children. Gay men and women in commited relationships are in the lowest risk group of all in terms of harming kids, a safer group than hetrosexual couples, and you all know the church's record of protecting children from abuse.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
I thought it would be nice to show, that black baptists aren't necessarily about homophobia...

This is a relatively recent public speech by Baptist pastor, Harvard professor of philosophy and African-American studies dr Cornel West. In my opinion, he's one of contemporary Americas most powerful public speakers.

It takes a bit over 17 minutes before he delivers the first celebration of Marriage Equality, but my gosh, it's worth waiting for. And the first is just the first!!!

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Thanks for the break from all the hate making the news ATM!

B.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
A Cornel West-line from another YouTube speach : "- Wouldn't it be nice if the American fundamentalists were much more fundamentalist on the love-thy-neighbour thing?"