• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Can a homophobic parent repent?

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
OK, this dropped in to my lap from Reddit (you can read the whole thing and the many responses here).

Summary: An ex-Marine police officer father wrote an open letter on the LGBT discussion thread telling his story of how viciously homophobic he was all his adult life - but most especially to his son. After his son came out just before college he basically stopped talking to him, then the son never came back once he left.

More recently he realized how wrong all of his beliefs were, and regretted what he did to his son. After several attempts to contact him, he finally got the chance to talk to his son and apologize - it was not received well. But over a period of months they have talked, and this Thanksgiving (on Thursday) he will be able to see his son and meet his partner for the first time.

Response on Reddit have been all over the map - often in the same posting. Just wanted to get your thoughts.

I’m a homophobe and my son is gayPossible Trigger
Trigger warning, slurs (am I doing this right?)

I’ve hated gay people for as long as I can really remember and I honestly don’t know why. Growing up in one of the sh1tty parts of Boston that’s just kind of how it was and still is. Then I joined the Marines out of high school to fight in the gulf war, and after that I became a cop. I’m just a textbook homophobe.

My son was always “different”. I just thought he was into theater and reading and playing games because he was one of the nerdy kids. Which still crushes my heart because I wanted him to be like me and my older son and play sports and hunt and do manly sh1t, but I could understand that he just wasn’t like that. I guess I was oblivious to it all since I was the last person in the family to find out, for good reason too. I flipped out, said disgusting things to him, sh1t that keeps me up at night. I wanted him out of my house but my wife wouldn’t have any of it, so I just pretended like he didn’t exist. I don’t think I can describe what it’s like to live in the same house as someone, see them every day, eat dinner with them, and never say a word to them, never make eye contact with them, for six months. Then he went away to college and didn’t come back. The only time he’s come back was for his grandmothers funeral, and we stayed as far away as possible.

I don’t know what changed to be honest, but one day I woke up and I was changed. I just couldn’t do it anymore. I couldn’t hate him, or anyone else like him either. It was just too much work. But I was dumb and thought I could just pick right up where I left off, so I tried calling him and he didn’t answer. So I called again, and again, and again. He finally picked up because he thought something happened to his mother, and when I said I wanted to talk to him he told me to kill myself and hung up. And for the 4th time in my adult life I cried. A lot. I was depressed for a long time, to the point I had to take a month of leave. My wife finally convinced my son to talk to me, for the first time in 6 years. I told him everything I felt, how sorry I was, how I want to know him. And he just listened, and when I was done he told me how I fucked him up. How my casual homophobia made him feel unloved and made him think about suicide when he was 13 years old. And he said he couldn’t forgive me for any of it.

That was over a year ago and we’ve talked on the phone a lot since then. Many times a week. I know my son now. I don’t know how to express how happy I am. He says he forgives me, and he’s happy to feel loved again but I know that for almost 20 years I unknowingly tormented him every day of his life. I know that haunts him, and now it haunts me. I remember every time I’ve said faggot around him. Every time i tried to make him act less gay. How i would make fun of him and call him a Nancy for being scared to shoot my guns. How I tried to stop him from being in plays because “all those queer boys do them.” I can’t believe myself. I can’t believe that I used to throw rocks at gays. I can’t believe that I tried to get someone kicked out of the Corps because I thought he was gay. I don’t know how I can ever forgive myself for all the lives I made a living hell in high school. I can’t forgive myself for letting my stupid fucking beliefs get in the way of my job. If I had pulled over someone and I thought they were gay I would give them a ticket for anything I could think of. My son wanted to kill himself because of me, and that makes me want to die.

Im going to see him for the first time in years on Thursday. I haven’t been able to sleep since I found out. I’m happy and nervous and afraid. I’m going to meet his partner, who I know isn’t totally convinced he should be coming. I don’t know what is going to happen really, and that scares me. Since I was 18 it’s essentially been my job to be in control and know what is happening and what I’m going to do and that has certainly become a part of who I am. I think that’s why all of this scares me. Because I’m powerless in all of this.

I’m sure this isn’t the right place to say this, but I don’t know anywhere else where people would understand. I’m sure many of you have been on the other side of this, and I know that all of you have gone through something like this from someone like me. It’s all a lot for me and I wanted to get it off my chest.

solamentever

Reaction score
I'm so glad he is willing to make things right! I do believe people can change.
He can't undo the past but can make the future better.

But when I think of our community, and how so many of us have gone through that kind of hell... It's very hard not to change my mind.
For me, all this hatred, hostility and suffering will never vanish.

I know I'm contradicting myself, but it's very complex...

I just hope the best for them!

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Forgiveness always is better than hate! Hate will destroy yourself - forgiveness will give you peace and quiet. The son will carry the rest of his life all the scars his father has done to him - but I think the father too! But if they can embrace themselves - for both the life will be easier again.

I want to wish the whole family a happy Thanksgiving in the true sense of the word!

Stonecold

GTM Movies
Staff member
Reaction score
lke0510
I would say no also. I tried for many years to forgive mine but about thirty years ago I disowned them and never looked back. My Mother even got to the point of saying she accepted me and my mate but she could never get to the point of not throwing in the words but I can't say I don't pray things were different. The final straw was her taking my young son to church behind my back. She made her choice and picked the Southern Baptist church over myself and my Gay brother. I know some people think you should forgive and accept family that don't totally accept you and if that works for them that is fine. I however especially after having an raising a son cannot understand how a parent can cause their child such pain. I think it should be a criminal offense to turn your back on your own children and parents of minors that commit suicide after being disowned and thrown out of their house should be charged with murder.

str8twinks

Banned
Reaction score
lke0510

I would say no also. I tried for many years to forgive mine but about thirty years ago I disowned them and never looked back. My Mother even got to the point of saying she accepted me and my mate but she could never get to the point of not throwing in the words but I can't say I don't pray things were different. The final straw was her taking my young son to church behind my back. She made her choice and picked the Southern Baptist church over myself and my Gay brother. I know some people think you should forgive and accept family that don't totally accept you and if that works for them that is fine. I however especially after having an raising a son cannot understand how a parent can cause their child such pain. I think it should be a criminal offense to turn your back on your own children and parents of minors that commit suicide after being disowned and thrown out of their house should be charged with murder.

Imprisoned for murder, goodness. Are you in favour of the death penalty? Maybe in some cases? Just curious.

What about children who abandon or almost abandon parents as they become old and weak? If those parents either commit suicide or lose the will to live, are the children charged with murder? It seems to me that putting so many people away amounts to the polar opposite of love. Would Jesus or Buddha or the humanist approve?

If we ask religious people to be tolerant of homosexuality, should gays not also demonstrate tolerance of religious rights? Let me ask you a straightforward question (and be honest with yourself please): if your son converted to Islam, would you disown him? Temporarily or permanently? Would you resist all temptation to convert him back? Would you go to the Mosque with him to experience and cherish his choices, and meet and understand his new friends?

str8twinks

Banned
Reaction score
I'm so glad he is willing to make things right! I do believe people can change.
He can't undo the past but can make the future better.

But when I think of our community, and how so many of us have gone through that kind of hell... It's very hard not to change my mind.

I know I'm contradicting myself, but it's very complex...

I just hope the best for them!

Also there are countries in the world, sadly too many, where gays are regularly put to death and thrown of roof tops. And of course other minorities. Let's keep Asia Bibi foremost in out thoughts as so many chant for her execution (with a 'one way or another' attitude). Surely we have to hope that all the hostility and double-standards will some day vanish?

solamentever

Reaction score
Surely we have to hope that all the hostility and double-standards will some day vanish?
Oh yes, definitely! We should hope for a better future.

What I was really trying to write was that... there are people (like me) that can forgive but not forget, particularly when the damage was done on purpose.

Sorry, english is not my first language! :)
Sometimes it's very hard to put my ideas into english words.