• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Queer as folk

jonsbay119

Reaction score
Just binge watched again. I really enjoyed it. Remember watching it when first came out and thought it was a good show. the only negative was that i thought all the sex was a little too much. I have been out the for a long time but my friends and I do not use sex references (cock, fuck, ass) in everyday conversation as much as they did.Thoughts?

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
The British or American version of the show?

perrymason12

Reaction score
Depends on the group of friends and the situation. When i was going out to the clubs those conversations topics came up alot more then they do now. :)

lhardwick69

Reaction score
what get me is talk about queer as folk and all--but in first season the American version he meets guy gets to his room and realizes this guy isnt old enough for him as he is only -- and must say looke younger than that--but yet he fucks him anyway-- but you post a story or question about stuff like that and it gets deleted for being not allowed to be on here why is this

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
what get me is talk about queer as folk and all--but in first season the American version he meets guy gets to his room and realizes this guy isnt old enough for him as he is only -- and must say looke younger than that--but yet he fucks him anyway

This is a difference between the British original and the American version. I think in UK version Justin was a year or two younger. But in the American version they put him over the age of consent in Pennsylvania (so the sex itself was legal) but still kept him under 18 so he was a minor and still in high school. Just thought I would clarify that for the discussion.

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Inspired by this post, I have been watching this series over the past weeks. I am now in the middle of the last season (5), and I must admit that it is much better than I remembered. For the most part the writing is good at the very least and at various points knock-your-socks-off great. Maybe that is just easier to perceive when you can binge three or four episodes at time and get the big picture faster than once a week.

QAF_MichaelJustinBrian.jpg

Hal Sparks, Gale Harold and Randy Harrison play Michael, Brian and Justin - the love/friendship triangle at the heart of the American version of Queer As Folk.​

At the core of QAF is a startlingly original character: Brian Kinney. "I don't believe in love; I believe in fucking." The 29 year-old sex god can (and does) have any man he wants - but usually only once, then he is off to his next conquest. Brian is emotionally self-sufficient - a skill that helped him survive his childhood. Actor Gale Harold plays Brian as a shark constantly moving forward melting hearts and stiffening dicks and sloughing off the rest of the world with no regret, with occasional glimpses of generosity sacrificing for his friends while cooling denying any such thing has happened.

The one person that snuck in to his heart early and never left was his school chum Michael. Michael, as played by Hal Sparks is almost a mirror image of Brian - emotionally open, easy-going, loyal and loving. He's a cute boy-next-door who never seems to get the good guy (or fuck) he deserves, partly because he is always playing wing man to Brian. And what everyone except Michael knows is that Michael is in love with Brian (who doesn't do romance, and won't mess with his best friend).

QAF_MichaelBrianonLedge.jpg

Brian (back) teases Michael (front) with just enough affection to keep him close and attentive - but will never go all the way.

But over the years they have developed a symbiotic relationship. Michael gives Brian the love and loyalty he could never ask from anyone, and Brian gives Michael an excuse to not grow up and look for his own life and love. Everything is stable and moderately happy.

That is, until he shows up. The third person on the see-saw. The wrench thrown in to the machine. Minutes in to the pilot episode, a new face shows up on the dingy streets of Liberty Avenue: Justin Taylor (Randy Harrison). He is a blond teenager in high school, and ready to shed his innocence and set foot into gay life. And he has barely made an entrance before he captures the attention of Brian. They tangle, Michael is forced to drive the couple back to Brian's sex loft, and in one of the most explicit gay sex scene ever put on commercial television at that time, Brian carefully deflowers Justin (who he learned was a virgin). He then drops him off at school the next day, ending what, for him, was an interesting adventure. But to Justin it was a revelation.

QAF_BrianJustinFight.jpg

Justin:"But, when will I see you again?" Brian:"You'll see me in your dreams."

That's the pilot. Yes, there are other characters and they carry a lot of interesting and relevant stories. But it's the balance between Brian, Michael and Justin that power the series and makes it something unique. What happens when you put friendship, sex, insecurity, and love in a blender and try to pretend like none of it matters and life is never going to change?

In the first season Michael finds a doctor who sees all the wonderful things in him that Brian ignores and offers Michael an actual adult relationship. But where does that leave Brian? Justin's parents find out that he is gay and has been seeing a nearly 30 year-old man. Justin runs to Brian, who brings him back to his parents. But when they insist he stop being gay, Brian admires the way the kid stands up for himself and gives him shelter. Something is breaking through the defenses.

The season ends with Brian showing up at Justin's prom (after refusing never to go near the place) and surprising him with probably every gay man's prom fantasy. He sweeps Justin off his feet and in what feels like a classic movie moment insists "no one is gonna put baby in a corner" and the crowds part as the couple dazzles with a romantic spin around the floor.

Of course, in the final 10 minutes of the episode something gut-wrenching happens that changes the course of Brian, Justin and Michael's lives. To this day it is one of the best season finales I have ever seen.

Seasons two through four each proceed to deepen these characters and improve the story. They face the things we all do - prejudice, violence, health scares. They have to figure out how to navigate love when one party is HIV+. They have to watch love walk away when they can't give the person what they want. They struggle with the difference between holding on to queer urban identity versus staking their right to a life in the suburbs, if that's what they want.

If anyone is interested, I recommend finding the first season and watching the pilot - it's damn good and should let you know if you'd like it. (I got all the DVDs in my local library system. Netflix and Amazon also have it).

Last edited:

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
QAF was/is one of the very, very best series I've ever seen in my life.

prickles

Reaction score
Only seen the UK version myself. Was really confused in that first sex scene. It was the first time I'd heard of rimming.

lhardwick69

Reaction score
I just didn't think the way they portrayed as all gay men was do drugs--the sex I can understand as when I was their ages in the show especially justins--I was a major slut--even though Justin supposed lost his virginity to brian at 17 I lost my virginity before that so sex is ok I just dont like the fact they acted like we did nothing but party and drugs

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
I have never seen the tv show but just on the last point, they could not be exagerating the hedonism of Manchester in the nineties, it was like that, if not more so. The city was known as Madchester for a reason. The straight scene was just as chemistry powered as the gay scene. Now that generation, who were 170% off their tits all weekend, every weekend, have grown up to be the teachers, doctors and police officers of that fine city who are now telling the teenagers not to do the very things they had so much fun doing themselves.

lhardwick69

Reaction score
I grew up being a sex addict without drugs--hehe --seemed like queer as folk and other gay themed shows show drugs before during and after sex--and partying--like giving the impression only reason why they did gay stuff was because they were on drugs----

its just sad thats how people see us and not see us as real human beings--but its the stigma that comes along with being gay--like only thing are is sex hungry pervs and do drugs while the other half of the gay world are child molesters andi often wonder why that is--when statistics show more kids are molested by someone of opposite sex--here where I live you see news thats biased as hell--one day you have a guy under arrest for several counts of sex and stuff with a minor--then one day its a teacher--female having sex with one of her male students-- doesn't say she violated him but let it be a male teacher and watch the charges against him line up

I just wished people would look at me as another person without labeling me--as I am sure I can label them as well for a lot of things

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Having just finished the whole series - I think they were trying to be more nuanced. Though, I remember many people at the time they were originally aired complained about gays being portrayed as druggies.

Side note: This led the producers to introduce into the story a new fictitious TV show that all the characters were watching called Gay as Blazes that had no drugs and no sex and everyone was a gay doctor or lawyer living in the suburbs. The characters watched it every week and would argue whether that was an accurate portrayal of gay life. It was the mirror image of QAF and kind of a hoot. In the third season they drop in a line that Gay as Blazes has been cancelled.

Actually some characters never take drugs - Emmet doesn't and I can't recall Justin ever taking anything and I specifically remember him turning down offers from Brian for pills and stuff. Michael only took them when Brian shoved them at him. (At least once a season someone comments that Brian is a bad influence on Michael.)

But there are two characters who are involved with drugs - with very different outcomes. Brian, from the pilot on, is very drug friendly and seems to regularly incorporate them into his party, dance, and sex scene. There are explicit references to K and Ecstasy. He is regularly sniffing on the dance floor - but that may be poppers. Once he mentions cocaine positively - but I don't remember ever seeing him do it. He seems to be very picky about what he partakes of, and he is also clearly very lucky and gets through the five years with no real ill effects from the drugs. And, I know people like that. For some reason, they can wake up the next day and just go to work and never become addicted or dead.

I think it is Brian that most people think of when they complain about the drug use in QAF.

BrianKinneyAlcohol.jpg

Brian Kinney is proof that life isn't fair. Brains, beauty, money, sex, and drugs too?

The other character that finds drugs is Ted - the nebbish straight-arrow accountant. Early in the first season a cute guy offers him some GHB and he figures he might as well see how the other half lives and drinks it down. He quickly begins going in to convulsions and ends up in a coma. And I know guys like that too - they don't party, but on a whim decide to try something and whether its the drug or the way it interacts with their particular system, they don't make it out alive. One strike and you are out.

In the UK version of the show, the Ted character dies. In the US version he survives.

7_ted.jpg

Ted can't catch a break. He goes in to a coma the first time he tries drugs, he gets fired from his job, all the beautiful men he lusts after and dates leave him. Nearly every show, you are thinking "Poor Ted!".

But a couple of seasons later, at a very low point, he is at a party where someone offers him crystal meth and he decides to try it. It sends him over the moon and he can't get enough. Soon he is avoiding his friends and just hanging out with his party buddies. Eventually he finds himself at a days-long party and wakes up to find the party still going and people hooting and hollering while they watch an amateur gang-bang video in the living room. As he gets closer he realizes - he is the bottom in the video taking one guy after another. He doesn't remember any of it. Fortunately, he gets his ass into rehab. That is also a very realistic scenario.

The drug message I took away from the series was that some people (Brian) lead charmed lives and have drugs and sex without consequences. Most of us are not like that. Don't follow the crowd off the cliff, but protect your body and your health. You don't have to abstain from everything - but certainly from the stuff that kills people.

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Era una serie bastante honesta para su época, a veces exagerada, sí, pero mostrar las orgías, los cuartos oscuros, etc en serio fue muy sincera. Ahora no estoy seguro si la gente políticamente correcta dejaría hacer una serie parecida.

Por favor, utilice inglés si puede.

Please use English if you can.

Translation:

It was a pretty honest series for its time, sometimes exaggerated, yes, but showing the orgies, the dark rooms, etc. was really very sincere. Now I'm not sure if the politically correct people would let make a similar series.

Last edited:

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Por favor, utilice inglés si puede.

Please use English if you can.

Translation:

It was a pretty honest series for its time, sometimes exaggerated, yes, but showing the orgies, the dark rooms, etc. was really very sincere. Now I'm not sure if the politically correct people would let make a similar series.

Topdog - really you are a genius! :p:big hug:

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
If the show were to be remade to reflect today's scene, it would have to show many of the bars and clubs closed down. This has been down to property speculation, certainly not because of lack of demand. The new show would require no dialogue, the characters won't talk to each other, neither will they look at each other. They will spend the entire show tapping at their phone screens. Just like real life.

littlebob

Reaction score
I just watched it for the first time a few months ago. I loved it.

gayheaven869

Reaction score
Reboot coming...

Unfortunately the provided link was not anonymized.

Last edited by a moderator: