• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

...What's Wrong With Age-Gap Relationships?

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Stephen Fry's Engagement: What's Wrong With Age-Gap Relationships?
The Guardian | By Hannah Jane Parkinson | Tuesday 6 January 2015 10.50 EST

20472511c501e50edd8a55479b173a28a3c56dee.png

Stephen Fry and his betrothed, Elliott Spencer. The couple’s age gap has raised eyebrows. Photograph: JAB Promotions/Rex

News has broken that actor, QI host, and probable pub quiz supremo Stephen Fry, 57, has become engaged to Elliott Spencer, a comedian 30 years his junior.

It is thought the couple have been dating since at least November last year (or as Mail Online had it: “November of this year”), and on 23 December made a formal application to marry.

Of course, in a world in which everybody’s love life is ostensibly fair game, “Stephen Fry” was trending this morning on Twitter, and while Fry tweeted that he was very grateful for congratulatory messages – including from the actor Robert Webb, activist Peter Tatchell and pianist James Rhodes – plenty of people were quick to call out the age gap.

From Twitter — Revilo (@olivarrr)
January 6, 2015
I didn't even know Stephen Fry had a son-I mean boyfriend.

From Twitter — Chantal Starie @Gruffalicious

I find Stephen Fry's engagement a bit ?! He looks like his son...

Age gaps in relationships seem to a be a perennial taboo. I cannot for the life of me (all 25 years) understand why: they’re great. I don’t have a specific type of romantic partner – either gender, any colour of eyes or hair, don’t care about height – but I do tend to go for people significantly older than me.

Why am I attracted to older partners? Well, I moved abroad at 18, and so was just generally around people a lot older than I was. I realised while living in Russia that I was more interested in the intellectualism of an Alexei Karenin than the dashing, whippersnapper partying of a Count Vronsky.

More life experience means more interesting conversations. Plus, old people are good at crosswords. I’ve dated both older men and women who have children, and fallen for them even more because of that part of them. (Also, there’s a free cute kid into the bargain).

And, well, the sex tends to be much better. The exact opposite, in fact, of crappy sixth-formesque sex such as this scene in The Inbetweeners.

But society (and my friends) view age-gap relationships as odd. There are myriad banal reasons, such as “but all of your cultural references are different”. Well, no, not so much, when the internet and box-sets and streaming music services exist.

I might not have been born in the 1960s, but doo-wop is one of my favourite genres of music, and if I’m not listening to the Platters, I’ll be awkwardly air-drumming along to 80s post-punk and new wave.

OK, so I might not have been there sweating out pills to rave music at the Haçienda as an ex of mine was, but I was doing the exact same years later, so tangentially at least we still shared the same experience.

I didn’t get into politics via an opposition to Margaret Thatcher or the introduction of the poll tax, but the current crop of expenses swindling and hegemonic egotistical MPs motivates me just as passionately.

Another objection people raise is the idea of the individuals in an age-gap couple being at “different life stages”. Newsflash: this scenario can happen whatever the ages of partners. An individual’s maturity isn’t necessarily dependent on their age, and neither is broodiness, or the desire to marry or purchase property.

There’s also the fact that because of the rising cost of living, plenty of adults are having an extended youth. Thirty- and 40-year-olds are still living with their parents; plenty of us based in fast-paced cities eschew car ownership for public transport; men in suits are just as likely to be brandishing white earbuds and listening to a spoof video on YouTube as kids on the bus; mature students are on the rise.

This negates the impact of many age discrepancies. There is a difference, too, in how society views age-gap couples according to gender and sex.

Generally, younger dudes who date older women are viewed positively. The trope of a Milf is well rehearsed – at least in American high-school movies – and a 22-year-old regaling his mates with a tale of how he pulled a hot older woman is met with high-fives and the cracking open of beers.

The woman in the same relationship, however, would be viewed as a “cougar”, as in the Courtney Cox sitcom Cougar Town; or even more pejoratively, as a “cradle snatcher”. Just look at the horrified reaction when Madonna (56) dated Jesus Luz (27), or Cameron Diaz (42) hooked up with Justin Timberlake (32).

More recently Homeland fans were squeamish about CIA operative Carrie Mathison (35) sleeping with undergraduate medical student, Aayan. Or as Peter Quinn put it: “You’re fucking a child.”

As for older men dating younger women, well, it rarely raises an eyebrow. It’s almost de rigueur for middle-aged guys to show off younger trophy girlfriends, or for older married men to trade in their wives for younger models. Websites exist to match rich sugar daddies with younger women.

I suppose this is related to other inconsistencies in how society views the sexes. Women who like sex are “sluts” and “slags”, whereas men are just, well, normal.

Age differences in same-sex couples don’t seem to attract as much stigma - Stephen Fry aside - and seem to be more common. Perhaps this is because the LGBT community is more accepting in general, or because there’s a smaller pool of partners to choose from.

People need to get over the idea that individuals who go for older partners are harbouring Freudian fantasies, or that those who go for younger ones (so long as they’re above the age of consent) are somehow a bit creepy. They’re not. They’re just in love.

So, good luck to Stephen and Elliott.

SOURCE

Last edited:

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
57 year old marries 27 year old after 3 months relationship? :thinking: I can see this all ending in tears...

Urban

Donator
Reaction score
I have to fight back a certain amount of suspicion, but people love who they love. As long as it's not some kind of "sugar-daddy" type relationship, or as long as they're both on board & willing to accept it for what it is, who is anyone else to judge.

I wonder if there were any pre-nups involved?

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
Any love is good love and I wish the best of luck to all lovers everywhere.
There is this problem with a large age gap in a partnership. Its gloomy but you have to face reallity. If your husband is thirty years older than you he liable to croak thirty years before you. If you are both of similar age, as me and sweetykins are, we will probs die around the same time or at least there wont be such a long sunset of grief. If your husband dies thirty years before you do thats a horribly long time to spend crying and mourning.
Only a cynic would suggest that Stephen's cash legacy might assuage that pain, all the money in the world will be of no help to me when the worst happens.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE Stephen Fry fan, so I really hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this :(

I wish them nothing but the best, and I hope all the critics turn out to be wrong.

Also - I approve of his taste :)

Jonny

Reaction score
I think that love only matters, but I understand how some people may feel suspicious or uncomfortable with the idea. Also, sometimes age does make a difference because of interests and the way you feel around the other person. Like with any couple though, it just varies.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
I want to wish both of them all the luck of the world - but I'm untrusting this luck! Perhaps they will be lucky until the end of their days - but I can speak only from my side and I think it is not good. As well as it is not "normal" (what is "normal"?) if an older guy will marry a young girl or an older wife will primp with a very young man. I think that are bonds only for the moment and not for eternity. Sorry but that is my opinion. I may be wrong - well I want to wish it for both of them.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
They didnt get off to a good start, Stephen told Elliott to get a move on in the car so he did as he was told and got a driving ban for speeding at 100mph. They still looked happy enough together, snapped leaving the magistrates court, so thats a good sign.