• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

US School cancels prom to avoid gay couple!

I

Integritas0

http://anonym.to/?http://www.telegr...to-avoid-lesbian-student-bringing-a-date.html

Obviously the situation is being POLITICISED ---and dare I say it, the same-sex couple are being exploited/hyped by both sides. The sane approach is live and let live. However, there was also a case in the states recently where a woman successfully sued the owners of a gay bar for men only, because they would not let her in. This is where political correctness loses the plot. As a gay man I would not feel comfortable (so take me to 'tolerance camp' and shoot me!) in a leather bar, or gay sauna, if a woman came in. Similarly, I respect the rights of women to have women only bars, or women only nights. And before you say 'oh but this is a prom, that's different!' think about it --how different is the modern-day prom to a night out on the town, drink, sex, etc.? So are these gay outlets and events also examples of discrimination?

I am just trying to see it from the other side --and to understand why it is a decision was made to cancel the prom. I don't agree with the decision, but at the same time too many of us are smug in relation to these issues, or reflexively see these issues as 'obvious', 'self-evident' etc. Too many people try to advance political agendas by going 'head to head', arguing on a single point of law, and thinking in terms of a 'victory'. The lesbian couple may have 'won' on this occasion (and with respect to 'points of law' etc.) but would it not be more sensible to say hold a peaceful protest, or to go the legal route without all the commotion and the cancellation. My fear is that the gay community in this town will be perceived as bullies, or as 'smug'. There may be indirect repercussions/retaliation (like gay children being targeted or bullied in the future)... which is horrible I know. But there are better ways to change both laws AND attitudes, without being confrontational. It's not a very exciting or glamourous to exercise sure precaution, but come on, the world isn't fair and it never will be! Get over the fact!

Last edited:

fnguy4me

Reaction score
While I do think that the issue of prom NEEDS to be tackled because so many gay teenagers nowadays face this problem, I do agree that gay people might be seen as forceful and be disliked by many. Not my personal opinion, but that's how a lot of white people feel about black people out there. It's not right, but it is what it is, and do we want the same fate for ourselves?

newage

Super Vip
Reaction score
As much as I hate it, to admit it....i can't necessarily blame that school district. It is situated in a rather feligious location, where the rules and regulations were put in effect by those with influence of their religion. Furthermore, it seem as if the school is trying to keep order as more people (kids) would be outraged if the girl was allowed in w/ gf. And thus its is practical to ban such advances. I am not a fan of shoving out "gay" or homosexual behaviours down other peoples throat. And at times i feel like many more people do it than they should. There is nothing wrong with being proud, but its somethingelse when you are forcing people to agree with your views. I don't hate those who don't agree with me, as long as they still respect the fact that what goes on in my bed is my business. Besides what good is it if i can bring sum1 to the prom if all im going to get is weird stares...

Behrluvr

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
This situation is a total disgrace. This school district has now painted the entire South as a bunch of bigots. (The school administrators clearly are bigots and need to be fired immediately). Identical situation to 1964 when desegregation was court ordered and many public facilities closed down rather than allow blacks in.

" One nation, under God, with Liberty and Justice for some"

ritsuka

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
I agree with Behrluvr; it is a disgusting act of homophobia to disallow GLBT couples to attend their high school prom; I'm sure there would have been much less publicity if they simply allowed the couple to come; most people are pretty self-centered on prom night anyway. But yes, this is a bigoted policy that needs to be overturned, and is emblemetic in a great way of the culture that LGBT youth are subjected to at their schools, where the administrators not only turn their backs on blatant discrimination and bullying, but write policies to make sure we don't have a good time. I'm glad people are standing up to the right wing homophobic scum where I live, and I'm proud to be a part of the GLBT equality movement.

Last edited:

dysion

Reaction score
I slightly disagree with Integritas0, while this story parallels the story behind the movie Prom Queen which was based on another instance where this happened, one can not wholly stop arguing for the rights of homosexuals for the sake of loftier ideals. And while they might not be throwing these girls in asylums or prison, remember its a development of late that they(most) have stopped listing homosexuality as a mental illness, and there are still many countries where they(us) would be killed or jailed for nothing more than being gay. Not to mention that sensationalism is the new newscasters code so saying that a news report is a sensationalists view of something is much like saying that water is wet. I'm not trying to attack your point of view but social context means a lot in ideals such as this.

ritsuka

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Update:
A federal judge has ruled a lesbian Mississippi high school student’s constitutional rights were violated when she was barred from bringing her girlfriend to her prom. Constance McMillen, an eighteen-year-old senior at Itawamba Agricultural High School, has challenged a school policy preventing her from bringing her girlfriend as her date and also wearing a tuxedo. The school ended up canceling the prom rather than face the possibility that McMillen would prevail. The court’s decision won’t come in time to revive the canceled prom, but it means the case will go to trial. A group of parents at McMillen’s school have organized a private prom but have also barred her attendance.

This ruling, and the one that hopefully will come as a result of the trial, is a great victory for the youth GLBT rights in this country. It is despicable that a public school would cancel the prom and then 'privatize' it, with the same homophobic exclusion.

D

diklik

Prom Queens, etc.

I see two issues here, and they are truly quite simple:

One is tolerance vs acceptance. We need to accept people as they are, not just tolerate (put up with, suffer quietly, etc.) If we only practice tolerance, than no advances can really be made in society. Acceptance of gays by str8s and vice-versa; acceptance of one gender by the other; acceptance of disabled by enabled and healthy, etc. etc. etc.

And the other issue is that none of this so-called religion (and its basis for anti-gay rhetoric) is valid to begin with. Anyone who claims or confesses "Christianity" must admit they are doomed to hell if they preach hate toward anyone for any reason. It is clearly stated so in scriptural texts, and Jesus Christ, after whom Christians "say" they pattern their life and beliefs, did not ever diss or hate or discriminate against anyone. He called people what they were - bigots were named, women-haters were called out, and simple, or poor or honest and struggling people were encouraged.

If you hate, you cannot logically hide under God's umbrella. So these so-called churches and movements and such are just a bunch of cults, no better and no holier than anyone else...........and without any validity or spiritual connection to anything other than their own overblown egos. The only trouble (and it's a big mess) is how much money and political power is wielded by these phonies.

When we can mute those voices by simply pointing out their illogical and unGodly hatred, that is the greatest form of fighting back to be done.