• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

New iPhones - 8 & 10

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
OK - new iPhones announced today.

Here is the iPhone 8 Plus (left) and 8 (right)

iPhone8AndPlus.jpg

What's new? Wireless charging, slightly improved camera, glass back. Prices are about the same as last year. (Appropriate.)

Not much, huh? That's because if you want to be the cool kid on the block you will have to wait 'till November and get the new flagship, the iPhone X (pronounced "10").

apple_iphone_2017_X.jpg

In addition to the wireless charging, and the new 5.8" OLED screen that is almost edge-to-edge, there are some cool features. Like face ID to unlock the phone. Which you need because there is no home button on the front. There are new swipe up and down gestures for closing apps and doing multi-tasking.

Probably most improved are the cameras. Quad LED flash and optical image stabilization on both the front and rear cameras. Also it has 4k video and stereo speakers.

How much? $999 US for 64 GB and $1149 US for 256 GB. (That means the top version is $1240 US with tax.) :eek: Unless you add AppleCare insurance because, god forbid, you should drop it with the glass front and back. Then you are up to more like $1400 US.

What do you think?

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Videos are now out now from the demo room at the Steve Jobs Theater on the new Apple campus.

The iPhone X

The iPhone 8

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
Really, what can this thing do that I can't on my $79.00 tablet or $15.00 flip-phone?

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Really, what can this thing do that I can't on my $79.00 tablet or $15.00 flip-phone?

Well, there is a lot, actually.

But before I answer that, let me jump to the more important question - even if it does more, do these things matter to you? If all you need to do is make calls, send texts, and check Facebook and the web while connected to wifi, then none of the extras may be worth while to you.

Also - a disclaimer: I am not an Apple fanboy. I despise iTunes and the Apple Store and refuse to buy any products that require connection to those services. That has nothing to do with the quality of the hardware or software - I don't like the terms of service. But that's just me.

The new features come in three levels for you, starting with the advantages of a smartphone, since you aren't starting with one.

Smartphone Advantages

• Browse web and use apps over fast 4G internet connections anywhere
  • Access to specialized apps (more on the specifics of that below)
  • Integration of apps / web / camera make live broadcast and real time editing and posting of videos and photos, and blogging possible.
  • A good smartphone can replace the need for a tablet or computer for many people.
  • Much better security options than your flip phone - unless criminals have your ID credentials, they can't get into your data on an encrypted smartphone.

iPhone X Advantages

• It has a better screen than the TV in your living room. It is built for media consumption.
  • Both front and back cameras have Optical Image Stabilization - that allows you to shoot sharp pictures in lower light, or take less shaky videos.
  • Two 12 mp cameras with wide apertures for a greater variety of lighting and creative choices.
  • Better security than any other iPhone - with encryption plus face ID only you can get in to your phone.
  • It looks sleek and super cool.

But here is the biggest advantage: the apps available in the IOS App Store. These plus the fact that you are always connected to a fast internet connection let you do things that aren't as helpful when you are tied to a home router or desktop computer.

The Apple Ecosystem

• The Communications Standards - Instagram, Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, Slack, Skype, Hangouts, Facetime - these IOS apps created new communications channels. They are designed to be used on a connected device like a smartphone so you can share and communicate from anywhere. Facetime only works on a Apple device, and the others are smoothly integrated into the Apple hardware (to a greater degree than on Android which has to support many hardware options).
  • Dating Apps - Tinder, OKCupid, Scruff and Grindr - find Mr. Right from wherever you happen to be.
  • Games - Xbox, Nintendo, Playstation - all the major gaming systems have iPhone games and support plus there are smartphone only options like Switch and Instant eSports.
  • Date Night - Going out? Find out what's going on and get tickets / reservations with Fandango, Stubhub, Open Table
  • Track Health & Fitness - Get home workouts and track progress with Fitnet, Nike+ Training or Daily Yoga.
  • Music - Listen to music anywhere with Spotify, Groove, Pandora, or Tidal. Play guitar with Tabs & Chords.
  • Money - Pay for stuff with Apple Pay or PayPal; monitor your finances with Mint. Split the check with friends using Splitwise.
  • Photography - Use Enlight to harness the full power of the iPhone CPU and GPU to do full photo editing on the go. Or use a simpler option like Adobe Photoshop Express or make your selfies beautiful with Facetune.
  • Shopping - Shop from anywhere with Amazon and eBay. Track shipments with Deliveries.
  • Watch Video - Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go
  • Travel - Get a ride with Uber or Lyft. Find directions with Apple Maps or Waze. In a foreign city? CityMapper or CityMaps2Go will help you naviagate streets & public transport plus help you find the best sights and things to do. Communicate with the locals using Microsoft Translator.

Those are the advantages. There are a lot compared to your current setup - but whether they have value to you is something only you can say.

It also should be noted that except for the super-duper screen, Face ID, and cameras, you can get every other functionality I've listed in the lowest priced iPhone 6s which has now dropped in price. So there's that.

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
Everything you just listed means absolutely nothing to me. In fact some features mentioned (like face ID) are complete deal killers for me... Just another of "Big Brothers" tentacles reaching out to get an even firmer grip on your every day life. Tech is the new opium for the masses...

pete123

Reaction score
obviously very nice for anybody who likes to have the latest blah blah, other than that 1400? I mean come on, it is a phone after all, or can you not call anybody with this thing?

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
... I mean come on, it is a phone after all, or can you not call anybody with this thing?

That costs extra.

(Just kidding.)

One piece of good news I didn't mention is that the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus cost less than last year's versions when they came out. And they are still selling iPhones 7 and 6 now at even lower prices.

RazzmaTazz

Be Fucking Nice
Reaction score
I am the one that runs against the crowd in my age group which can't seem to live without a phone in their hand. For calls I have a really basic flip phone that I've had for about three years now. The whole plan costs me about $40 a month after taxes. But like TopDog said, calling on my phone is all that really matters to me. I do have an older IP4S that I bought off a friend a couple years ago that I use for a few apps and stuff and it is just on wifi, there is no calling plan to it.

If I want to do stuff on the internet, like Facebook, or surfing, news, weather, or all that, I just wait until I get home and use my computer while I'm watching TV or a movie. My friends don't seem to have to much of an issue with my non-connected life because when they want to get in touch with me they know to just call. Don't waste time with a text or anything, just call me and I'll answer.

I don't need Google maps on a phone because I have a pretty good navigation system that I bought at the truck stop out in San B when I got my first car. And I've got my Cobra CB radio if I want to talk to people out on the highway.

I hate it when I go on break or lunch at work and the people that I'm sitting with are just constantly looking at their phones rather than having a conversation. Oh well, I like my non-connected life.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
I am the one that runs against the crowd in my age group which can't seem to live without a phone in their hand. For calls I have a really basic flip phone that I've had for about three years now. The whole plan costs me about $40 a month after taxes. But like TopDog said, calling on my phone is all that really matters to me. I do have an older IP4S that I bought off a friend a couple years ago that I use for a few apps and stuff and it is just on wifi, there is no calling plan to it.

If I want to do stuff on the internet, like Facebook, or surfing, news, weather, or all that, I just wait until I get home and use my computer while I'm watching TV or a movie. My friends don't seem to have to much of an issue with my non-connected life because when they want to get in touch with me they know to just call. Don't waste time with a text or anything, just call me and I'll answer.

I don't need Google maps on a phone because I have a pretty good navigation system that I bought at the truck stop out in San B when I got my first car. And I've got my Cobra CB radio if I want to talk to people out on the highway.

I hate it when I go on break or lunch at work and the people that I'm sitting with are just constantly looking at their phones rather than having a conversation. Oh well, I like my non-connected life.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Mostly your last sentence! :thumbs up::thumbs up:

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
I hate it when I go on break or lunch at work and the people that I'm sitting with are just constantly looking at their phones rather than having a conversation.

Lunch? I have that issue at Thanksgiving dinner....

dragonscub

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's worse: the obscene profits tech companies make selling us these dismally unreliable phones, or the never-ending, nasty, pointless religious wars of Apple vs Android.

I've got news for both camps: you're both right, you're both wrong, and you're both "sheeple" (how I hate that reductive word). Believe it or not, the most reliable, least-flaky, most fun phone OS anyone marketed was the late, sadly-unlamented Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1.

Yes, Microsoft: our evil overloads actually managed to come up with a damned nice smartphone paradigm (even a stopped clock is right twice a day). Up until last year, you could buy a Lumia 640 Windows phone for $79 (retail) that was so much better (in practical terms) than any $600 Android or iPhone that it wasn't even funny. Replaceable battery and SD storage, killer camera that could see in the dark, battery charge lasts 2 entire days, clear call quality, unbreakable unscratchable screen, speedy uncluttered interface, incredible map and navigation apps that could be used even with no data or wifi connection.

Unfortunately, Microsoft blew their chance and repeated the Zune vs iPod debacle (too late to the party, total lack of savvy marketing, misread what consumers wanted). This multi-BILLION-dollar fiasco should be taught in business school as the prime 21st-century example of what NOT to do.

One stunningly stupid mistake held Windows phone back from being a viable third choice: Microsoft's staggering inability or refusal to get Facebook, SnapChat, Uber, InstaGram, Tindr, Grindr, and all the other social media developers on board. At first, the phones sold like crazy, especially in developing nations (a couple years ago, the Lumia 520 was the best selling phone in the world and arguably the single greatest value in smart phones we'll ever see). But word quickly got out that Facebook worked half-assed, SnapChat barely, and Uber not at all. When Microsoft bizarrely refused to address the problem, doom was inevitable.

So now we're stuck with just iPhone and Android again. This is tragic, because despite each having advantages they both suffer the dealbreaker of disgusting hardware unreliability, software glitches up the wazoo, and battery life thats unforgivably bad this far into the smartphone era (try finding a three month old Samsung Galaxy or Apple iPhone that can hold a charge for longer than 4 hours- I dare you).

iPhone is better sorted out overall, but there's no "affordable" model, decent storage begets a huge price penalty, iTunes is a horror that should have been aborted in 2007, and Apple makes sure to brick them every 24 months (forcing you to buy a new one). Android has affordable options, but they all stink on ice: I know, I've tried them all (Google itself can't seem to make one without a minimum of 4 ticking timebomb hardware defects that don't hit until you've owned the things for a few months).

Both systems suck balls like a $10 hooker on heroin. $1000 to $1400 for an iPhone is morally absurd: nothing the phone offers is worth that, not even the tacky gold plating. And if I hear one more elitist snarky geeky prick boast that "Android is so much more customizable than the infantilized walled-garden iPhone", I'm gonna shove a a Surface Pro tablet down his throat, then pull it out of his ass. Google is just as walled as Apple, the only difference is they don't make the token effort Apple does to bar malware from their app store. Ask one of those geeks to clarify what they mean by Android "customizing" and it always circles back to "rooting" (aka hacking your phone so its wide open to fuck with in ways more likely to bite your ass than not).

I'm ready to go back to an old Motorola flip phone.

Last edited:

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
We ordered 2 new iPhone 8Plus yesterday. One in Grey for my partner and one in Silver for me. They'll arrive next Tuesday. With a trade in we are getting a good price for the 2.

We need new, larger screen phones. The small iPhone 6SE phones we have had for a couple of years now have very small screens. The new 8Plus models have huge screens in comparison.

We considered getting 7Plus phones but the price for them hasn't dropped enough to be much lower than what we paid for the 8Plus.

I'll be happy with the 8s simply because the screen is much bigger. The tiny keyboard on the 6SE is so hard to use for me.

I'll post a pic when we unbox them.