• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Ben Carson: Being gay is a choice — just look at prison

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Ben Carson: Being gay is a choice — just look at prison
Yahoo! News | By Dylan Stableford | March 4 2016

207843030cf4ccd43c40a4e19517da8cbf8cd6db.jpg

'A lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight, and when they come out, they're gay,' possible 2016 GOP candidate says

Ben Carson, a retired neurosurgeon and possible 2016 Republican presidential candidate, says he believes homosexuality is a choice. His proof? Prison.

"A lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight," Carson said in an interview with CNN Wednesday. "And when they come out, they're gay. So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question."

Carson's belief is at odds with others in the medical community who say "most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."

The 63-year-old said he's open to granting legal rights to same-sex couples but not to changing the legal definition of marriage.

"Why do gay people want to get married? Why do they say they want to get married? Because they want to have various rights — property rights, visitation rights," he said. "Why can't any two human beings — I don't care what their sexual orientation is — why can't they have the legal right to do those things? That does not require changing the definition of marriage."

That position also puts Carson at odds with a majority of the country. A Gallup poll conducted last year found 55 percent of Americans support recognizing same-sex marriages as legally valid.

It's not the first time Carson has voiced his controversial views on gays. In a 2013 interview with Fox News, Carson compared homosexuality to bestiality and pedophilia.

“It’s a well-established, fundamental pillar of society and no group — be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality — it doesn’t matter what they are, they don’t get to change the definition [of marriage],” Carson said.

He was forced to cancel a commencement speech at Johns Hopkins University over those remarks.

On Tuesday, Carson became the second major Republican to form a presidential exploratory committee.

“I’ve decided to explore a potential run for the office of president because I believe my values, life experience, and willingness to speak the truth and seek solutions, prepares me well to lead our nation toward more prosperity, security, and freedom for every American,” he said in a statement.

A Fox News poll conducted in January put Carson (at 9 percent) fifth among possible GOP candidates, with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (21 percent), former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (11 percent), Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul (11 percent), and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (10 percent), ahead of him.

Carson is not the only possible 2016 GOP candidate to stir up controversy on the issue of same-sex couples.

Last month, Huckabee said homosexuality is a lifestyle choice like drinking and swearing — which is why he can accept friends who are gay, despite his religious convictions.

"People can be my friends who have lifestyles that are not necessarily my lifestyle," Huckabee said in an interview with CNN's "State of the Union." "I don't shut people out of my circle or out of my life because they have a different point of view. I don't drink alcohol, but gosh — a lot of my friends, maybe most of them, do. You know, I don't use profanity, but believe me, I've got a lot of friends who do. Some people really like classical music and ballet and opera — it's not my cup of tea."

Still, there's no chance the former Arkansas governor will ever accept gay marriage — whether he runs for president or not.

"This is not just a political issue," Huckabee said "It is a biblical issue. And as a biblical issue — unless I get a new version of the scriptures, it's really not my place to say, 'OK, I'm just going to evolve.'"

Asking a Christian to accept same-sex marriage, Huckabee said, is "like asking someone who's Jewish to start serving bacon-wrapped shrimp in their deli."

SOURCE

This isn't the first time this bigot has spewed vile rhetoric against the Gay community. He is a dyed-in-the-wool bigot and homophobe. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he has other prejudices.

He's a man of ''faith'? That says it all doesn't it?

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Privileged white men spewing hate is horrible, but at least you can argue they have never wanted for anything, so perhaps they don't understand what being discriminated against is like. How a black man can stand up and argue for discrimination against a minority is simply beyond me. Did he never listen to the first-hand accounts his family had to share? Did he not understand them? Is he just an asshole?

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Understanding America’s prison-to-gay pipeline

Understanding America’s prison-to-gay pipeline
The Dallas Morning News | By Tod Robberson / Editorial Writer | March 4, 2015 6:13 pm EST

I just need to understand Ben Carson’s logic. He insists that being gay is a choice. His basis for saying this is that, well, look at prisons. I mean, look at all the men who go into prison straight and come out gay. But my paraphrase doesn’t do him justice. Here’s the soon-to-be-former GOP presidential aspirant in his own words:

“Because a lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight — and when they come out, they’re gay. So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question,” Carson told CNN.

I’m sorry, I should have put the honorific Doctor in front of Ben Carson’s name. He is a neurosurgeon, a man who supposedly has devoted his life to science. And yet he offers prison as his “science”? Try searching the Internet for just one single study that confirms anything like what he alleges to be the case. There is no study that says prison turns men into gay people. Anywhere.

The entire issue came up because he was asked by CNN’s Chris Cuomo where Carson stands on gay marriage. Carson believes that allowing gays to marry does not require a redefinition of marriage.

“Why do gay people want to get married? Why do they say they want to get married? Because they want to have various rights — property rights, visitation rights,” he said. “Why can’t any two human beings, I don’t care what their sexual orientation is, why can’t they have the legal right to do those things? That does not require changing the definition of marriage.”

But it kindasorta does, if current law can’t accommodate the ability of gays to gain the same rights afforded to heterosexual married couples. The term marriage really does encompass what this is all about — the ability to automatically inherit upon the death of a spouse, or the ability to get health benefits or have rights to visit a spouse in the hospital. Marriage is pretty much the unique term in our legal system that encompasses spousal rights. So, yes, it does require a redefinition of marriage.

But it just amazes me, along with lots of other people, why someone of Carson’s education would offer such an absurd and non-scientific rationale for his brash statement. And I’m probably doing exactly what he wants — giving attention to someone who really doesn’t merit it. But, like the gaffes that won Sarah Palin her 15 minutes of undeserved fame, sometimes silly quotes are just too hard to resist.

SOURCE

cade

Reaction score
Ben Carson , the ignorant retired neurosurgeon, has no understanding of the difference between natural sexual orientation and situational homosexuality or situational heterosexuality, you know, if the ones you desire sexually are nowhere to be seen, the ones you didn't desire start to look more attractive. They are not the same thing, IDIOT!

Otage

Super Vip
Reaction score
If I would be sent into female prison, I wouldn't wanna bang the chicks there. Why people go gay on prisons? Not saying that guy is on to somenthing, just pondering:)

And I have to admit, that I myself personally am bit divided that should gay people be able to get married. I'm no christian, have never cared for church or their traditions, I have always been more against of it all. And marriage, why? If two people love, they love. I don't think nobody needs marriage. When divource comes, you wish you wouldn't have done it. I think nobody should get married:p I mean I understand the financial alliance, and everybody can throw better, more imaginative parties than weddings. Funerals and weddings, only difference is, that in weddings two people die:rofl:

On the other hand it's a question of equality. But in institution I don't really care for. I see no difference between church and a cults, and I wouldn't ask any cult to change their views, or at least expect them to do that.

That that I'm gay, doesn't mean I have to be pro-gay marriage. I don't give a sh*t, I'm an individual. But I wouldn't vote against it either.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree Otage.

I would rather enter into a 'domestic partnership' or 'civil union' that conveys all the benefits now associated with some hoo-doo voo-doo 'marriage' that traditionally involves some connection to religious rituals and hocus-pocus.

Marriage is a farce anyway. Those wedding 'vows' recited about 'til death do us part' etc etc are a wasted of breath. More than half of marriages end in divorce sooner or later. Marriage is a farce and everyone knows it.

Honestly though, I don't want any legally binding contract that requires a government stamp of approval to enter into and a government stamp of approval to get the hell out of.

There is one facet of a wedding or commitment ceremony that isn't about legal rights but is probably, at least in my opinion, the most important part. The idea of publicly affirming love for one another and the creation of a partnership before your family, friends, neighbors, strangers and society as a whole. That would be the most important part of the whole damned charade for me and my partner. The act of publicly saying 'I love you and I want you to be my spouse' and then to have a really bitchin' party with music, food, drink and dance. That is what we Gay people deserve. Not a religious ritual that only serves to give more power to the religion.

The legal rights that come with marriage should be for everyone whether they are heterosexual or homosexual. Those rights are legal rights and to deny them to homosexual couples is discrimination. Period.

:)

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
I would rather enter into a 'domestic partnership' or 'civil union' that conveys all the benefits now associated with some hoo-doo voo-doo 'marriage' that traditionally involves some connection to religious rituals and hocus-pocus.

Are you sure marriage has it's origins in religion and not in civil law? I'm not. Not even nearly.

The American right are VERY keen to pretend that's true, but they also believe the founding fathers were all Christian!

Bear in mind that when debating gay marriage we are talking about a 100% secular institution, religion has NOTHING to do with the marriage equality debate - there is no campaign for gay church marriage, only for gay civil marriage.

Also - "separate but equal" is absolute bollox that does not work. It just provides as framework for discrimination - two words, two concepts, they will never stay equal, ever.

If you mean the same thing, use the same word!

Marriage is a farce anyway. Those wedding 'vows' recited about 'til death do us part' etc etc are a wasted of breath. More than half of marriages end in divorce sooner or later. Marriage is a farce and everyone knows it.

You are free to be a cynic, but you have no right to speak for all of humanity!!!

How DARE you pretend to speak for me! I 110% disagree with you.

Honestly though, I don't want any legally binding contract that requires a government stamp of approval to enter into and a government stamp of approval to get the hell out of.

Good for you. No one is asking for compulsory gay marriage!

I on the other hand am thinking of the future and making sure that if I die first my husband can get my pension, can keep his healthcare, and can inherit from me tax-free.

I also need to be sure he could visit me in hospital should I fall ill. I also need to make sure HE is my next of kin and that my family could not try to wedge themselves in and remove his rights.

For all these things you need "a government stamp" unless you live in a nation without laws or governments, in which case you need a bigger gun!

If you choose to build a life with someone, having government recognition of that fact is important for purely practical reasons. It is very important for me, and others in my situation.

There is one facet of a wedding or commitment ceremony that isn't about legal rights but is probably, at least in my opinion, the most important part. The idea of publicly affirming love for one another and the creation of a partnership before your family, friends, neighbors, strangers and society as a whole. That would be the most important part of the whole damned charade for me and my partner. The act of publicly saying 'I love you and I want you to be my spouse' and then to have a really bitchin' party with music, food, drink and dance. That is what we Gay people deserve. Not a religious ritual that only serves to give more power to the religion.

The public expression of your love is an older part of the marriage ceremony than the religious window dressing. It is emotionally important, but that alone is not enough to cover the practicalities.

The legal rights that come with marriage should be for everyone whether they are heterosexual or homosexual. Those rights are legal rights and to deny them to homosexual couples is discrimination. Period.

:)

That last paragraph is an argument FOR gay marriage. But you just said you are against it? I'm so lost now?!?!?!

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure marriage has it's origins in religion and not in civil law? I'm not. Not even nearly.

The American right are VERY keen to pretend that's true, but they also believe the founding fathers were all Christian!

Bear in mind that when debating gay marriage we are talking about a 100% secular institution, religion has NOTHING to do with the marriage equality debate - there is no campaign for gay church marriage, only for gay civil marriage.

Also - "separate but equal" is absolute bollox that does not work. It just provides as framework for discrimination - two words, two concepts, they will never stay equal, ever.

If you mean the same thing, use the same word!

I never said "...marriage has it's origins in religion and not in civil law..." What I said was "I would rather enter into a 'domestic partnership' or 'civil union' that conveys all the benefits now associated with some hoo-doo voo-doo 'marriage' that traditionally involves some connection to religious rituals and hocus-pocus."

It seems my point was not clear or not clearly taken.

You are free to be a cynic, but you have no right to speak for all of humanity!!!

How DARE you pretend to speak for me! I 110% disagree with you.

I would never pretend to speak for you or for 'all humanity'. My comments about marriage being a farce and everyone knows it referred to divorce rates and how commonly reported the divorce rate is. If you are interested here is a link to the page divorce rates dot com where you can refresh you memory about divorce rate percentages by different categories:

Divorce Rates

Good for you. No one is asking for compulsory gay marriage!

I on the other hand am thinking of the future and making sure that if I die first my husband can get my pension, can keep his healthcare, and can inherit from me tax-free.

I also need to be sure he could visit me in hospital should I fall ill. I also need to make sure HE is my next of kin and that my family could not try to wedge themselves in and remove his rights.

For all these things you need "a government stamp" unless you live in a nation without laws or governments, in which case you need a bigger gun!

If you choose to build a life with someone, having government recognition of that fact is important for purely practical reasons. It is very important for me, and others in my situation.

I double checked to be sure and I can safely say I never mentioned 'compulsory gay marriage'.

When I said "I don't want any legally binding contract that requires a government stamp of approval to enter into and a government stamp of approval to get the hell out of" I was pointing out that involving courts and lawyers in a personal relationship seems more like a business arrangement than a loving partnership.

I absolutely want all the benefits that are attached to 'marriage'. I just wish there didn't have to be lawyers and judges involved even though I am not stupid and I know they must be involved because the law says so.

You speak of you and people in your situation as though there is something unique about it. I'm quite sure there are many Gay couples in similar situations. Don't you think I want the same benefits you adamantly outlined as though I didn't want them?

The public expression of your love is an older part of the marriage ceremony than the religious window dressing. It is emotionally important, but that alone is not enough to cover the practicalities.

Again, I didn't say the 'expression of your love' was 'enough to cover the practicalities'. I said that "publicly affirming love for one another and the creation of a partnership before your family, friends, neighbors, strangers and society as a whole...[is]in my opinion, the most important part..." and I stand by that. If that part of the ceremonies and legal commitments isn't the most beautiful and the best part in 'your opinion' that's fine with me but I think you are missing out on a life affirming moment and that's your loss.

That last paragraph is an argument FOR gay marriage. But you just said you are against it? I'm so lost now?!?!?!

B.

Once more, I never said I was against gay marriage. Never said it. I don't know why there is such a communication breakdown between us but let's just agree to disagree and have a coke and a smile and find something we can agree on :)

Last edited:

Otage

Super Vip
Reaction score
Of course there are personal differencies, some people wanna get married, some don't. I personally don't need any ones permission to love, or to quit love. Some kinda financial plan is enough when starting to build life together, and love for each other, as long as it lasts, in my opinnion.

But I've been just thinking, that if I had my own cult and we had these rituals there, that people in my cult accepted, then I wouldn't wanna change those. The point of religious crap is not change during time, evolve, it's point is to give somenthing stable in uncertain life. They say it's between man and woman, so effin be it. Like why does it have to be 'marriage' of somekind, when I think it's very good idea to call it somenthing else.

And I'm for gay rights, but sometimes I just feel that with this one we are kinda the ones being overly fanatic and not so logigal. An is there logic if we start depating with religious people about their cult rules with logic? And of course we have to take in consideration the very different situations and laws by country. For example religion plays big part in politics of USA, but in finland the religious party is just a joke. But no gonna go to some church (what ever flavour of christianity we are talking about) and demand some of their sacraments, just because equality. And in finland there allready is a financial communion for gays I think, is there one in states?

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
We have a word for something like marriage that does not involve a church and has all the rights of marriage - MARRIAGE!

Legal marriage is an entirely secular affair. You sign paper work with witnesses in front of a government official to register your legal marriage, and that is it. There is no more to it than that. You can choose to also do some religious stuff if you like, and you can choose to throw a big party, but none of those things are actually a part of a legal marriage.

The right try to pretend that marriage is a church thing, but it's not. It's a contract between a couple and the government, and every couple should be treated the same by their government.

Legal marriage is secular, and it is mundane.

It's about the practical things in life - tax law, next of kin, and inheritance. Those things are not fun, not romantic, not idealistic, but they are important, and they get more and more important as your lives get more and more inter-twined.

Divorce is not some evil thing, it's a controlled process for untangling intertwined lives from a legal point of view when the a couple find they can't make a life together for what ever reason.

If you give something your best shot, and it doesn't work out, why should both parties not be able to move on and try again? No one sets off in a marriage and aims to get divorced, but it's a good thing it happens, it saves a lot of people being trapped in a loveless sham-marriage that does no one any good.

I think that divorce rates in the US are so high because people build marriage up into something mythical, when in actual fact it's not at all like that. 'I do' are not magic words, regardless of what TV and movies like to pretend.

The existence of divorce does not make anyone's marriage a mockery. Nor does it make a mockery of legal recognition of the fact that two people are living a life together.

10 years ago myself and my now-husband suffered no ill effects from having our relationship be something just between us, but that began to change as we left college and entered into our adult lives. It got to the stage that not being married was causing us real practical and financial problems. We got married because we need the law to recognise the fact that we have built a shared life together.

You don't need legal marriage to validate your relationship, you do that every day by living together and building your lives together. You need legal marriage so that the state recognise the reality of your joint life, and treat you appropriately in your dealings with them!

Religion has absolutely nothing to do with the marriage debate at all - Churches need to realise that the world does not revolve around them, and that everything is not about them.

B.

orixa

Reaction score
He is an insult to the medical profession and an incipient also-ran. It amazes me that someone who's counting on riding Obama's coattails has such negative things to say about the man who paved his way.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
I am thinking of the future and making sure that if I die first my husband can get my pension, can keep his healthcare, and can inherit from me tax-free.

B.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:
Hello GB, with these truly essential statements you have given gay marriage the one and only justification.

I think you shall not only see the celebratory and the act of marriage itself - but as you have said it, you must have in mind too your common future! And from this point I'm 200% for the gay marriage. (Please tell that too my BF :dreaming: )