• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

How the AIDS epidemic really began

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
How the AIDS epidemic really began
New York Post | By Stephen Lynch | February 22, 2015 | 6:00am EST

20725865a56bd17e5b277c8577135c0e0d06645e.jpg

A book theorizes that the AIDS epidemic began with the infection of a hunter by a chimp and spread with health clinics' reuse of needles

In Randy Shilts’ history of AIDS, “And the Band Played On,” he tells the story of an Air Canada steward named Gaëtan Dugas, who suffered from what Dugas called “gay cancer” and infected 40 people or more with HIV.
He was, Shilts wrote, “Patient Zero.”

Dugas, through his extensive travels and unrepentant, unprotected sex even after he was diagnosed, undoubtedly helped spread AIDS. But was he the man who brought the disease to America?

In the new book, “The Chimp and the River: How AIDS Emerged from an African Rain Forest” (W.W. Norton), author David Quammen says no.

“Dugas himself was infected by some other human, presumably during a sexual encounter — and not in Africa . . . somewhere closer to home,” Quammen writes. “As evidence now shows, HIV had already arrived in North America when Gaëtan *Dugas was a virginal adolescent.”

Using molecular genetics, researchers have now traced the *exact strain of HIV that became a pandemic — HIV-1, Group M, Subtype B — to its original source.
Amazingly, through examination of genetic samples from humans and chimps, Quammen reveals scientists have found exactly when and where AIDS started — even a probable theory as to how.

20725884468d189d8fc8246066a2f5d1ac05a217.jpg

• 1908: Research reveals “AIDS began with a spillover from one chimp to one human, in or near a small southeastern wedge of Cameroon, around 1908,” Quammen writes. The most likely way it jumped species was through a person Quammen calls the “Cut Hunter” — a man who hunted and butchered a chimpanzee infected with simian immunodeficiency virus and was wounded in the process. The chimp’s blood mingled with his through the cuts in his skin.
  • 1910s-20s: Chances are the Cut Hunter infected only one other person, and HIV likely spread on a one-to-one basis through sexual contact, working its way down the Sangha River in Cameroon to the Congo, eventually reaching the city of Leopoldville (later Kinshasa). Why did no one notice? Life expectancy in that time and place wasn’t that high. And the infected were likely to die of some other common disease, with no one suspecting that their immune systems were compromised.
  • 1920s-50s: Colonial officials were conducting massive health campaigns in Africa to treat tropical diseases. Quammen notes that the treatment for one ailment, caused by tsetse flies, required 36 injections over three years. But hypodermic syringes were rare commodities, made out of glass and metal. They were used over and over again. “Once the reusable needles and syringes had put the virus into enough people — say, several hundred — it wouldn’t come to a dead end, it wouldn’t burn out, and sexual transmission could do the rest,” Quammen writes. Meanwhile, Kinshasa’s population exploded. Between 1940 and 1960, the city grew from 49,000 people to about 400,000.
  • 1960: Belgium abruptly gives up the Congo as a colony as forces led by Mobutu Sese Seko overthrow the government. The Belgian regime, Quammen notes, had discouraged education among its colonial subjects; there were no Congolese doctors. Instead, those ranks were filled by French-speaking Haitians who fled home after the government fell. “Someone brought back to Haiti, along with Congolese memories, a dose of HIV-1, Group M, Subtype B,” Quammen writes.
  • 1969: But how does one infected Haitian lead to an outbreak that, according to 1982 blood tests, results in 7.8 percent of women in a Port-au-Prince slum having HIV? Again, needles. In the early 1970s, a plasma-donation clinic, run by a Miami investor, opened in Haiti offering residents $3 per liter. Shared needles at this clinic likely increased the infection rates in Haiti and shipped the disease to the United States in frozen blood plasma. Research indicates that just a single migration of the virus — *either one infected person or one container of plasma — accounted for bringing AIDS to America. “That sorry advent had occurred in 1969, plus or minus about three years,” Quammen writes.
  • 1980: The disease lurked in America for a decade before anyone noticed. “It reached hemophiliacs through the blood supply,” Quammen writes. “It reached drug addicts through shared needles. It reached gay men… by sexual transmission, possibly from an initial contact between two males, an American and a Haitian.” In 1980, Michael Gottlieb, an assistant professor at UCLA Medical Center, noticed a number of gay men suffering from pneumonia because of weakened immune systems. He wrote a short piece about it in 1981 for the Centers for Disease Control newsletter. A similar cluster is documented in New York. At the same time, a group of heterosexual Haitian immigrants in Miami are found to suffer from symptoms similar to Gottlieb’s patients.

They are the first warnings of what is happening.

SOURCE

I know The New York Post has a somewhat questionable reputation (that is being extremely generous) but this article was interesting to me. I thought it was worth sharing. Hopefully some of GH's resident well-informed commentators will add to this discussion. I hope so anyway.

Last edited:

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Nice to see a well reasoned alternative to "THE GAYS DID IT BECAUSE GOD HATES THEM".

B.

Urban

Donator
Reaction score
"The Chimp in the River" is apparently a large chapter in a book about animal-to-human disease transmission called Spillover. Despite appearing in a less-than-well-respected paper, the above article is basically just a book report that appears to summarize the chapter fairly well.

What's more important is whether the author can be trusted to present correct information. While I don't know anything about his scientific credentials, he has written several science-oriented books in the past and has received several awards for them. He apparently spent 6 years researching this book.

If anyone is interested, here's a review that appeared in a better-respected newspaper in the USA:

http://anon.projectarchive.net/?htt...f/2012/09/spillover_by_david_quammen_spl.html

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
Heads will roll when Rupert finds out one of his papers has been caught telling the truth.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Several things in this thread is a bit chocking.

I've just cursorily read the short article posted by Sniffit , and I come to the conclusion, that the main points in David Quammen's book are results that have been well known in English Wikipedia several years, so I give you

a) the english Wiki main article on HIV/AIDS Anon URL

b) the english Wiki special article on the history of HIV/AIDS Anon URL

Being used for decades to read scholarly and scientific literature myself, I'd say that the important parts of the English Wiki articles are written by people who knows their shit, otherwise you just couldn't write reference lists referring the reader to hundreds of articles in scientific and scholarly journals.

I think I read the two long articles above (and several others) some 3 years ago. And I'm a bit astonished that some of our normally most well informed GH members haven't read the Wiki articles long, long time ago.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
As I said: "Hopefully some of GH's resident well-informed commentators will add to this discussion" and I'm glad one of our distinguished academic minds has done so.

If the article is less than an original scientific publication it still serves as an opening statement for a discussion.

Not everyone is as informed as others. I for one do not read a lot of scientific literature due to a lack of discipline. If I run across an article that interest me I may delve further into the subject. In this case I did not. The article was interesting enough to post for friends to share their opinions which is what my good friends gb, urban and gorgik have done.

I will look at the Wiki links gorgik shared later this evening.

It's good to have well informed friends who can direct my attention to details I might otherwise overlook.

:)

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
As I said: "Hopefully some of GH's resident well-informed commentators will add to this discussion" and I'm glad one of our distinguished academic minds has done so.

If the article is less than an original scientific publication it still serves as an opening statement for a discussion.

Not everyone is as informed as others. I for one do not read a lot of scientific literature due to a lack of discipline. If I run across an article that interest me I may delve further into the subject. In this case I did not. The article was interesting enough to post for friends to share their opinions which is what my good friends gb, urban and gorgik have done.

I will look at the Wiki links gorgik shared later this evening.

It's good to have well informed friends who can direct my attention to details I might otherwise overlook.

:)

Don't think I was scolding you or anybody else in this thread - I was just genuinely astonished...:)

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. That thought didn't cross my mind. I count on the knowledge my friends share with me.

Keep on sharing my friend :big hug:

Sniffit :)

Urban

Donator
Reaction score
I would be surprised if anybody thought that this author did all of this research himself, and I don't think anyone would expect that this information was unavailable before now. What he has done is collect a great deal of scientific data and present it in a well-ordered form that is available to the public, and I think he should be commended for that.

What I'm surprised about is that someone would make the assumption that, just because we're posting comments in this thread, we don't know any more about the subject than what we've said here.

tonka

Super Vip
Reaction score
So the guy in Cameroon liked them furry....and look what happened.

Stay away from the furries, guys!