• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Anyone else here a metal music fan?

let's climb too high
Reaction score
Anyone listen to Ayreon? Don't think it was mentioned anywhere...

The song is from the album The Human Equation which has stories about a man going trough his life inside his mind while he's in coma outwards.

Fair To Midland is also really good prog metal.

T

Tom

I sure am! I love antique cars.

Oops, this heavy metal thread must be about something else?:?

zortek

An Obvious Enigma
Reaction score

holy fuck !!! wow !!! seriously good shit !!! :thumbs up::thumbs up:

thank you so much for making me aware of them.

going to find out more straight away ... :):)

Whisper

Crazy Bitch
Reaction score

Oh yes, my darling 777 knows the best bands :D She has introduced so many great ones to me :D

zortek

An Obvious Enigma
Reaction score
newest single by dir en grey

and a track by new band arise in stability

zdiesel

Reaction score

The song is from the album The Human Equation which has stories about a man going trough his life inside his mind while he's in coma outwards.

Fair To Midland is also really good prog metal.

great stuff
Fair to Midland - pretty straightforward - like em
Ayreon - wow - realy would like to see them live at a open air concert

zdiesel

Reaction score
one from me to you

Static X - Love Dump

A different (darker more anbient - raise your amp max) but i think greater version of this is on the Soundtrack Valenine
but cant find it on Youtube

but this version (Original) also rocks

and .. i think you know them

NIN: 1,000,000 live at rehearsals

http://anonym.to/?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czuf0JaYf90&feature=youtu.be

I realy want to see them live once again, but they will not do that
Trent please please please

have fun and kisses
zdiesel

Last edited by a moderator:

let's climb too high
Reaction score

The pleasure is all mine :cheers:

let's climb too high
Reaction score
newest single by dir en grey

Nice vid... well, some parts of it ;)

I love Kyo's voice, especially the clean parts. I like their older music more though.

let's climb too high
Reaction score
one from me to you

Static X - Love Dump

A different (darker more anbient - raise your amp max) but i think greater version of this is on the Soundtrack Valenine
but cant find it on Youtube

but this version (Original) also rocks

I've liked all the Static-X songs I've heard but for some reason the name never sticks. It surprised me again how good their music is. I looked up the other version from Spotify, love it! not going to forget the band again!

and .. i think you know them

NIN: 1,000,000 live at rehearsals

I realy want to see them live once again, but they will not do that
Trent please please please

have fun and kisses
zdiesel

NIN is fantastic! Seen them live a few times but I haven't really followed news about them so this might be a stupid question, but why won't they?

Kisses xxx

zdiesel

Reaction score
NIN is fantastic! Seen them live a few times but I haven't really followed news about them so this might be a stupid question, but why won't they?

"Wave Goodbye 2009"
http://anonym.to/?http://www.nin.com/
you can also get a lot of info and free licensed music from NIN there

Trent wants to get focus on studiowork and his family for the next years
but "never say never"

my first NIN Concert
2009.06.21 - Hurricane Festival Scheessel, Germany
speechless for days

kisses and :heart:
zdiesel

let's climb too high
Reaction score
"Wave Goodbye 2009"
http://anonym.to/?http://www.nin.com/
you can also get a lot of info and free licensed music from NIN there

Trent wants to get focus on studiowork and his family for the next years
but "never say never"

my first NIN Concert
2009.06.21 - Hurricane Festival Scheessel, Germany
speechless for days

kisses and :heart:
zdiesel

Okay, that sounds reasonable. I think I've seen Twitters or something from him where he sounds so lovey-dovey that readers get embarrassed :D

Sounds awesome :heart: I have to admit I barely remember anything else from the last concert except thinking "hmm he's not so hot anymore". Did enjoy the music of course :) I hope there will be more NIN after his kids grow up, at the latest!

Kisses xxx

jeansGuyOZ

Smartarse from Down Under
Reaction score
I don't much like heavy metal - certainly not the likes of Judas Priest or Motley crue.

You may be wondering then why I jumped into this thread. Well, there is a bit of crossover these days between metal and the "new progressive" (I call it that because it appears to build on the legacy of the progressive rock tradition and I don't know what else to call it). For example, there is a band called Opeth. I don't know a lot about Opeth first hand, but from what I read Opeth alternate between melodic and heavy growling vocals. Fans insist that once you get used to the growling you "get" the music; then again, there are many people who love growling singers anyway.

Rush are another band that seem to straddle the line between progressive and heavy. I don'[t like Rush all that much, mainly because the vocalist gets on my nerves, but they have done some decent songs that pack a punch and are a world away from the likes of Black Sabbath or Status Quo or Judas Priest.

Whisper

Crazy Bitch
Reaction score
I don't much like heavy metal - certainly not the likes of Judas Priest or Motley crue.

You may be wondering then why I jumped into this thread. Well, there is a bit of crossover these days between metal and the "new progressive" (I call it that because it appears to build on the legacy of the progressive rock tradition and I don't know what else to call it). For example, there is a band called Opeth. I don't know a lot about Opeth first hand, but from what I read Opeth alternate between melodic and heavy growling vocals. Fans insist that once you get used to the growling you "get" the music; then again, there are many people who love growling singers anyway.

Rush are another band that seem to straddle the line between progressive and heavy. I don'[t like Rush all that much, mainly because the vocalist gets on my nerves, but they have done some decent songs that pack a punch and are a world away from the likes of Black Sabbath or Status Quo or Judas Priest.

Well, after reading your reply I did wonder a little, but everyone is welcome to participate no matter the favorite music ;)

I'm not sure if I understood; do you like Opeth & progressive metal? If so, try Ayreon, Tiamat, Fair to Midland etc :)

Then these others, in this thread I meant metal music (for example power, black, death, folk metal etc), not hard rock. Mötley Crüe etc are more hard rock, Status Quo rock. And no, I'm not saying that they play bad music, I'm just looking for different kind of music :)

And if my English skills just failed me and I misunderstood your reply, I'm sorry X_X

jeansGuyOZ

Reaction score

Well, after reading your reply I did wonder a little, but everyone is welcome to participate no matter the favorite music ;)

I'm not sure if I understood; do you like Opeth & progressive metal? If so, try Ayreon, Tiamat, Fair to Midland etc :)]

The main purpose of my post was to mention those two bands for the benefit of people who may not have picked up on them, since they do have some metal influence.

As for the others mentioned, I really don't want to get into arguments about whether or not they are "metal", and if so whether they are heavy metal, death metal, doom metal,Goth metal, or whatever. Fans of metal seem fond of drawing all these fine distinctions, but I find them hard to differentiate and no one ever seems able to define where the boundaries lie, or even to give a useful definition of "metal". I guess you have to be into the genre to get all the nuances of style.

There is a lot of discussion about metal on the Porcupine Tree forum, where some of the bands you mention get discussed, as do Opeth and Rush. Porcupine Tree are definitely NOT considered metal, but a number of their songs do show a little bit of metal influence.

let's climb too high
Reaction score
The main purpose of my post was to mention those two bands for the benefit of people who may not have picked up on them, since they do have some metal influence.

As for the others mentioned, I really don't want to get into arguments about whether or not they are "metal", and if so whether they are heavy metal, death metal, doom metal,Goth metal, or whatever. Fans of metal seem fond of drawing all these fine distinctions, but I find them hard to differentiate and no one ever seems able to define where the boundaries lie, or even to give a useful definition of "metal". I guess you have to be into the genre to get all the nuances of style.

There is a lot of discussion about metal on the Porcupine Tree forum, where some of the bands you mention get discussed, as do Opeth and Rush. Porcupine Tree are definitely NOT considered metal, but a number of their songs do show a little bit of metal influence.

I'm going to just hop in, sorry :) One can tell the difference in jeans (totally inspired by your nic :D) from different decades too, and at the time they were top of the fashion. The same happens in music, something newer comes and the old becomes more mainstream and old fashioned. I think that has happened to the first two bands you mentioned. They have their fans but those fans aren't the current metal music fans (though sometimes they are of course). A band is considered to be one genre or several depending of what their music is. There might be other influences too in different songs but that doesn't make the band change genre. You get disappointed listeners if you point them to some direction just based on one song. Of course if you mention the song by name and say it's a good one that's different :) It's not limited to metal fans, since everyone tends to do it, to describe the music they listen and preferably get recommendations from the same genre, and if you listen to a certain one you can definitely tell the difference.

I confess that most hard rock makes my head ache. It's said that people who listen to metal (in the meaning we're discussing here) often listen to classical music too and the two have same type of bass and other use that I'm not qualified to discuss since I know next to nothing of them. Anyway, the saying seems true looking from here. Are we maybe old fashioned :p

Whisper

Crazy Bitch
Reaction score
I confess that most hard rock makes my head ache. It's said that people who listen to metal (in the meaning we're discussing here) often listen to classical music too and the two have same type of bass and other use that I'm not qualified to discuss since I know next to nothing of them.

I agree, hard rock is just too "noisy" to me, how ridiculous this may sound like :eek: And I like classical music very much, besides many metal bands has made songs with symphony orchestras with successful results.

jeansGuyOZ

Reaction score
It's said that people who listen to metal (in the meaning we're discussing here) often listen to classical music too and the two have same type of bass and other use that I'm not qualified to discuss since I know next to nothing of them. Anyway, the saying seems true looking from here. Are we maybe old fashioned :p

I suspect it would be a certain type of classical music. Specifically, classical music that features lots of powerful heavy sounds, such as Beethoven's 5th symphony for example, rather than gentler music like Beethoven's 6th (the Pastoral) or Grieg or Debussy.

I've heard it said that many heay metal and/or heavy rock fans also enjoy stuff like Beethoven, Mussorgsky and Wagner - especially Ride of the Valkyries.

Last edited: