• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Officer In Gay Pride Parade Incident Speaks Out

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Officer In Gay Pride Parade Incident Speaks Out
Associated Press | By BRADY McCOMBS | February 25 2015

20743682479b63e24b0dcfbcb7ed5254dc733211.jpg

In this photo taken Feb. 24, 2015, former Salt Lake police officer Eric Moutsos gives an interview to the Deseret News. Moutsoso was put on leave and later resigned after he objected to riding in the motorcycle brigade at the front of last year's gay pride parade and is speaking out against what he believes was a violation of his religious liberties. (AP Photo/The Deseret News, Scott G Winterton)

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A former Salt Lake City police officer who was put on leave and later resigned after he objected to riding in the motorcycle brigade at the front of last year's gay pride parade is speaking out against what he believes was a violation of his religious liberties.

Eric Moutsos, 33, said Wednesday that he was unfairly branded a bigot despite simply asking to swap roles and work a different part of the parade in June 2014. Moutsos, a Mormon, said he felt uncomfortable doing what he considered celebratory circles with other motorcycles leading the parade because of his religious views. But he said he never refused to work the parade.

"It looks like we and I are in support of this parade," Moutsos said he told superiors about being in the motor brigade. "I said I would feel the same way if this was an abortion parade. I would feel the same way if it was a marijuana parade."

Salt Lake Police Department officials stand behind their decision to put him on leave, saying any hint of personal biases can affect an officer's ability to do the job.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Moutsos said he's coming out with his story now to be a voice in a national debate about how to safeguard religious beliefs while protecting LGBT rights.

He said he decided to come forward after months of silence after he listened to leaders with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announce a campaign last month calling for new laws that protect gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people from discrimination while also protecting people who assert their religious beliefs.

Moutsos issued a six-page statement through his attorney Monday that didn't have his name. But he decided to reveal his identity in an interview he gave to the Deseret News and KSL-TV that came out Tuesday night.

"It is unquestionably my duty as a police officer to protect everyone's right to hold a parade or other event, but is it also my duty to celebrate everyone's parade?" Moutsos wrote in the statement.

Several state legislatures, including Utah, are considering anti-LGBT discrimination laws alongside measures to safeguard religious liberties. Moutsos hasn't been invited to talk to lawmakers, but he said he would testify if asked.

"We can 100-percent disagree and still 100-percent love," Moutsos said. "I hate that we're labeled in this way that is so divisive."

Moutsos' life changed dramatically in the days leading up to last summer's gay pride parade. He had been talking with his bosses about resolving his objections while still helping out during the parade when he was informed that he was being put on leave for discrimination — a move that shocked him.

The story became public after police issued a news release saying an unnamed officer had been put on leave for refusing the gay pride parade assignment. The department said it does not tolerate bias and bigotry, and it does not allow personal beliefs to enter into whether an officer will accept an assignment.

Salt Lake Police Chief Chris Burbank echoed that in comments to the Deseret News this week. "With police officers — and this is the problem across the nation right now — you have to be able to do your job and set your personal feelings aside," Burbank told the Deseret News.

Moutsos, a married father of four, said he has gay friends and family and has no problem with 95 percent of their life choices. He said he is offended by the notion that he would treat gays and lesbians differently as an officer.

Moutsos has since found work with another police agency in the state. But he said the last six months were difficult and depressing for him and his family.

His attorney, Bret Rawson, said they have not made a decision about a possible lawsuit over the handling of the situation

Moutsos acknowledged that he could have been more diplomatic in his conversations with superiors. But he doesn't regret asserting his beliefs.

"I used to be quite the hellion back in my day, and I found what I believe is God kind of later in my life," Moutsos said. "Now, I have such a strong, deep faith in Him . . . He and I love people, but I do not advocate certain things in people lives. In this parade, there were messages that I don't advocate."

SOURCE

Maybe he should never have been hired as a police officer if he wants to pick and choose which people he serves.

This is another example why religion has no place in government. Religious 'exemptions' should never been allowed.

He chose to be a public servant. Gay people are part of that 'public' he swore to serve.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Maybe he should never have been hired as a police officer if he wants to pick and choose which people he serves.

This is another example why religion has no place in government. Religious 'exemptions' should never been allowed.

He chose to be a public servant. Gay people are part of that 'public' he swore to serve.

Well said!

Your freedom of religion does not trump others rights to equal protection under the law, or equal service from state agencies and public utilities.

B.

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
Stirring the shit a bit here...

So, would you feel the same way if he'd refused to ride in a motorcade for a Klan rally?

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I would object to his refusing to perform the duties required of him on religious grounds but I gotta admit I would love to see it happen... just to stir the shit ;)

cban

Reaction score
How can he justify being a police officer for some but not all of the citizens? Perhaps he should look to serve in a quasi-religious state – like Iran or Saudi Arabia? Heck no, he'd be whipped and hanged for being a Christian. Keep religion OUT of government.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score

So, would you feel the same way if he'd refused to ride in a motorcade for a Klan rally?

Yes - if the police comissioner needs something policed, then all police officers should report for duty!

bigsal

Super Vip
Reaction score

The job of this person is paid with the money of the community, namely public contributions, so it has to perform any assignment.

If it is not able to do this, then it must change jobs. Is at the service of the community, not a freelancer.