• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

I need advice from members in cold climates

Stonecold

GTM Movies
Staff member
Reaction score
My hubby and I love pier fishing and go every chance we get. The nights here are getting in the low 60's and soon some nights will even be in the mid to upper 40-degree range. The winds on the Gulf of Mexico are usually fairly strong and out over the water, you feel cold easily. Most people around here will wait until spring to fish again as most people can only handle the temps as long as it is at least 60. We fish overnight and I get cold below 65. I am looking for information as to how to toughen up to the cold or what clothes would be best to get that will keep you warm in cold windy conditions. I asked them if they would allow propane heaters and they said they can't for safety reasons. I hope some of you have some ideas. Thanks

Otage

Super Vip
Reaction score
Layers, layers and layers. Long underwear, wind proof and insulated pants (add one more layer if needed) long under shirt, warm shirt, warm winter jacket preferably with hood (hood keeps the heat from leaving your head) winter hat that is thick and covers ears, meronowool socks, wool socks and winter boots,thick cloves (maybe some thin under gloves) well, you get the point:) Protect head, since most heat leaves threw it and keep feet and arms warm, since the body fat is low there and blood vessels easily carry the cold to your body.

Eat and hydrate, since you need energy to produce heat, then trap it with layers of clothing.

Move around every now and then, maybe do squats (big muscle groups provide most heat).

In some outdoors related stores they sell these bags wich will produce heat via chemical reaction or something like that. If I remember correcty you squeeze them a bit and they start producing. Also warm drinks will heat you from inside.

Otage

Super Vip
Reaction score
Just checked, so 40 fahrenheit is about 4 celsius? If so, my advices are way over the top :p It's -5 celsius here now, and only difference to summer clothing is that I have long sleeved shirt on top of t-shirt and my fall jacket:D But it's not enough if I were to stay long periods outside sitting.

I would suggest thin layers, where the outer is windproof. Secure head, feet and hands properly. Eat, drink, move a bit. If it's really windy, protect face with scarf or somekinda commando hat (eye and mouth hole).

Stonecold

GTM Movies
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Otage, I will admit living in a semi-tropical climate has made me a big wuss when it comes to cold. I even have two generators to run kerosene heaters in case the power ever goes out in the winter time. Sad to say but I am not so sure your first advice was over the top. I think I have psychrophobia. I am going to Amazon now and ordering long johns and find some of those face covers you see robbers wear.

tonka

Super Vip
Reaction score
Base layers are thin, lightweight, and really help. I get mine at the local Costco.

And pay most attention to your head, your hands, your feet. Gel hand warmers can fit inside gloves, and will stay warm for a few hours.

Stonecold

GTM Movies
Staff member
Reaction score
Tonka
Base layers are thin, lightweight, and really help. I get mine at the local Costco.

The Costco close to me is having a grand reopening the end of this month.
25611916c2e0a8f2ba101119736bebfd76dc9882.jpg

This is the store last August during Harvey. I love Costco they donate to animal charities and always call when they have torn or busted bags of kitty litter.

Otage

Super Vip
Reaction score
Thanks Otage, I will admit living in a semi-tropical climate has made me a big wuss when it comes to cold. I even have two generators to run kerosene heaters in case the power ever goes out in the winter time. Sad to say but I am not so sure your first advice was over the top. I think I have psychrophobia

Just be happy that you haven't had to get used to cold weathers:) I like winter, but every year the first freezing weathers comes as a bit of a shock.

Stonecold

GTM Movies
Staff member
Reaction score
We have in the past thought of leaving Texas to move to a blue state but the cold weather is one of the main reasons we have not. I know southern California is warm but the cost of housing with any type of land with it is only for the rich. I just can't imagine living in a place where everything looks dead for months on end and you would die if you somehow got stuck outside.

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
As always, I say look to the classics. There's a reason the wool pea coat has been a standard for sea faring men's wardrobes for over a century...

Stonecold

GTM Movies
Staff member
Reaction score
brmstn69 that is a great idea and I got one today at a thrift store for 20 bucks.