• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Windows 10

wintertime

Reaction score
As my cursor froze or disappeared all the time on windows 8 my laptop was useless.I was loathe to try the 10 update as each one is worse than the previous one.I did upgrade and cursor problem has gone.Programme better than 8 but still not as good as Vista.Not to me at least.I love my Android Tablet as it has no Microsoft at all.Any views in Windows 10?

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
I'm perpetually fascinated by how two completely sane human beings can see a single OS in such different ways.

I've never before heard anyone say a nice thing about Vista. It is almost unverisally condemned as the single worst OS Microsoft ever made, except perhaps for the infamous Windows ME (almost universally nick-named 'mistake edition'). Bill Gates even agrees it was MS's low-point.

Big-picture-wise, Windows Vista was a big big change, it re-invented a lot of things, and didn't do a great job of it. Windows 7 was really just Windows Vista with a little spit and polish, but the name Vista had such a bad reputation that MS decided to compeltely re-brand.

Windows 8 was again a total change, and again, while re-inventing the Wheel, MS got a lot wrong. Windows 8 is pretty universally seen as a poor OS. 8.1 made things a little better, and Windows 10 is again Windows 8 with a lot of spit and polish.

Since Windows Vista, 7 was a big improvement, then 8 was a big step down, then 8.1 was an improvement, and 10 is an improvement on that improvement.

The big problem with Windows 10 is not with it's usability, but with it's propensity for phoning home behind your back, even when you turn off all the settings that should stop it.

BTW - if you dislike MS so much, why not try a Mac for your next desktop/laptop computer. Apple have been continuously refining their desktop OS for over a decade now, and it really is a robust, full-featured, powerful, and east to use OS that does not phone-home behind your back.

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
I can answer the 'why not try a Mac' question ... not everyone can afford a Mac.

Why are Mac users prone to be so snobbish when they don't need to be? Is the fact they have a Mac and most of the world has Windows reason enough? I don't know. I just know some Mac users either can't grasp the concept that price has a lot to do with which OS one uses or they like to gloat ... I'm just not sure which ;)

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
I can answer the 'why not try a Mac' question ... not everyone can afford a Mac.

Why are Mac users prone to be so snobbish when they don't need to be? Is the fact they have a Mac and most of the world has Windows reason enough? I don't know. I just know some Mac users either can't grasp the concept that price has a lot to do with which OS one uses or they like to gloat ... I'm just not sure which ;)

There is a very important difference between cheapness and value.

Macs may not be cheap, but they provide excellent value for money.

As for why I made the SUGGESTION that wintertime CONSIDER a Mac - simple - he's not happy with his current OS, so perhaps he'd be happier if he changed.

If we were talking about hair driers or cars, or anything else, no one would have a go at someone for suggesting a person try a different brand if they don't like the brand they are using at that moment.

You reacted as if I had posted something I didn't. Who's living up to stereotypes? You or me?

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, B., every Mac user I've known always seems to prosthelytize for Apple. When you suggested he consider a Mac it sounded like one of those Apple ads.

I know you work in IT and I'm sure you are very knowledgeable about hardware too. I'm sure Apple products are superior to those with Microsoft Windows. The cost of Apple products puts them out of reach for many. When possible I'm sure they would prefer to have the superior Apple product over Microsoft.

You've commented on Windows before. You and I spoke about the W10 upgrade before I took up that offer. I trust your opinions on all things digital tech. Sometimes, though, the Apple thing just gets to be too much. We know Windows sucks. When we ask for advice or help it's not helpful to be told to get a Mac. That's what I meant.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Well, B., every Mac user I've known always seems to prosthelytize for Apple. When you suggested he consider a Mac it sounded like one of those Apple ads.

I think you have a long memory.

There was a time, in the mid-1990s, when Apple were in DEEP trouble. Deep deep throuble. At it's worst there was about a month's money left before they would have to file for bankrupcy.

At that time the amount of Mac users was small, and the only Mac users left were real die-hards. They were very emotionally attached to their precious Macs, and it showed in both positive and negative ways. The positive was the vibrant community of Mac User Groups which is still providing free IT help to many today, the bad was a pseudo-religious attitude to computeres, and no small amount of proseltising.

Times have changed though. The single biggest computer manufacturer operating today is Apple. That does not mean there are more Macs than PCs being sold, just more Macs than Dells, than HPs, or than Lenovos. There are millions uppon millions of Mac users these days, and most of them are regular peeps rather than religious freaks.

I know you work in IT and I'm sure you are very knowledgeable about hardware too. I'm sure Apple products are superior to those with Microsoft Windows.

It is true that Apple do above-average quality hardware, but they are not alone in that. The Thinkbook line formerly from IBM and now from Lenovo are legendary for being almost unbreakable, and some of the high-end Sony's are superbly built too.

Appropriately for this discussion, it's actually the OS that sets Macs apart. It does one of those 'have your cake and eat it' things that are so rare - it is a fully certified Unix, so it has all the under-the-hood power of Linux, but, unlike Linux, it has a really user-friendly UI sitting on top of that power. That's what makes Macs so appealing to people in my line of work - it's a computer without compromise - power, usability, and good build quality.

I don't use Macs because I'm an Apple fan-boy. I'm a fan of Apple because they make the best computers I've ever used, and I've used a LOT of computers!

The cost of Apple products puts them out of reach for many. When possible I'm sure they would prefer to have the superior Apple product over Microsoft.

Macs are no more expensive when you do like-for-like comparisons. I just went through all the paper-work to prove that at work, because had it not been true my new work computer would have been a Dell.

What is true though is that Apple do not play in the cheap end of the market.

Macs don't have to cost an arm and a leg though - the Mac Mini is a great little computer, and the starting price is $499.00. I've also bought a number of my Macs from Apple' refurb store - you get good deals that way. And finally, students and teachers get about a 10% discount via Apple's education store.

You CAN spend thousands uppon thousands on a super-uber-fast mega-mac, but you really don't have to. (as an experiment I once tried to figure out how expansive it was possible to make a single Mac - the answer: $15,000)

You've commented on Windows before. You and I spoke about the W10 upgrade before I took up that offer. I trust your opinions on all things digital tech.

Every day I come into contact with Windows PCs, Macs, and Linux servers. It's literally my job to know about all kinds of computers, and all kinds of operating systems, so I get a flavour of them all.

I know the strengths and weaknesses of them all, and I know what features I find important, and what features I don't, so I know that the best computer FOR ME, is my 27" iMac. I also know that different people have different needs and different likes, so you will NEVER catch me telling anyone that X computer is 'the best', because that statement has no meaning. What matters is what is best FOR YOU.

Sometimes, though, the Apple thing just gets to be too much. We know Windows sucks. When we ask for advice or help it's not helpful to be told to get a Mac. That's what I meant.

When someone says they hate their OS, it would be nuts not to suggest they CONSIDER an alternative. They may well consider it and decide that Windows fits their needs better after all. But to not even consider the alternatives when you hate what you have now strikes me as the behaviour of a fanatic!

Finally - I don't think Windows 10 sucks. If you have Windows 8, the move to Windows 10 is almost a no-brainer. It is a much improved OS.

The one fly in the Windows 10 oitment is that Microsoft seem to be taking a leaf out of Google's book, and hoovering up data as if it's going out of fashion. I don't like that trend. I prefer to pay for something and be the customer, than to get something for free and be the product. Windows 10 is being given to consumers for free, but Microsoft is a profitable corpotation - how? Follow the money, then decide if you personally are happy to pay in privacy instead of in dollars. You will pay, you just have to decide how.

B.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
won't use windows 10

That's only a statement - but tell us why you won't use Windows? What are your reasons?

I can only speak for myself. I've Windows 10 on my private PC as well as in my office - and since it has been installed I've had no problems. Everything is running so as I want it - better than Windows 8. That's what I wanted to say!

name_1

Streamer
Reaction score
Hmm, since wintertime was asking for views on windows 10, my view is that windows 10 looks more pleasant. I think I'll adapt to quirks in the os, so windows 10 doesn't really annoy me significantly.

I thought the 'metro' (or now defined as Windows applications) page was interesting. It was new, and seemed fun, with something like a catalogue of applications for you to click and open. Windows 10 made it as a sidebar-kind of menu, which is not as fun as one whole page, but with the box style, it retains that catalogue feel.

Oh, another feature I thought was good in windows 10 is the multiple desktop option. It is useful to be able to have two sets of desktop, switching between the 'relaxed' mode (youtube and news perhaps), and the 'focused' mode (excel, evernote).

anarren

Reaction score
There is a very important difference between cheapness and value.

Macs may not be cheap, but they provide excellent value for money.

B.

Again, what you can afford often changes the value proposition. If you need a computer, say, sooner than you can save up for a Mac (and let's be honest, under normal conditions they're not going to last much longer if at all).

That said: no way in hell I'm upgrading my Win7 to 10: if I wanted to use a Mac, I would do so, and not this 3rd rate knock-off MS is selling!

Last edited:
T

tiogilito

What I don't like is the dishonesty it is being push up people's noses. You are told something is a "critical update", but all it does is to nag you to "upgrade" to Windows 10. And what is really irritating, you need to spend time to remove that thing, which is not simple. Now I don't trust the updates any more and do them manually only.

I have Windows 7, and as long as it is not broke, why fix it? I never managed to "upgrade" from one OP to another without having at least some issues here and there with drivers or other software.

So Windows 10 can wait until I need to change my laptop.

kyle_free500

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
won't use windows 10

Hmm...i will not use windows 10. I've used the 'free' upgrade from windows 7 pro 3 times now. The first time the 'upgrade' went fine, all my programs and printers worked well.....for about 7 days. Had to revert back to windows 7.

The second time i tried windows 10 a few months later, everything worked for about 2 weeks....then same as above, programs work when they feel like it, printers quit working, system bogging down. Reverted back to windows 7.

The third time things ran fine for about a month. Then one day bam, back to stuff not working (printers, very annoying). Had to revert back to windows 7.

I immediately did a google search to find a script to run to permanently remove the upgrade to windows 10 icon out of the system tray.

I will not be trying windows 10 again anytime soon.

turkeyboy

Reaction score
I've heard on the grapevine that Win 10 does not work with torrents.
Can anybody confirm this information and comment on the operating of torrents within Win 10.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
I've heard on the grapevine that Win 10 does not work with torrents.
Can anybody confirm this information and comment on the operating of torrents within Win 10.

Grape vines make good wine, but bad information sources.

Absolute hog-wash.

B.

tonka

Super Vip
Reaction score
My upgrade to windows 10 from 8.1 was easy and I had zero issues.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
My upgrade to windows 10 from 8.1 was easy and I had zero issues.

I can only say the very same ---- and I'm very satisfied with W10. It works good without any mistakes. From the first day I got it until now and I hope it will last until W11 - if it ever will come. :thinking:

c750dt

GayHeaven's Hottie
Reaction score
FWIW, with Windows 10, finding and setting up the correct drivers for your hardware isn't nearly as much of a hassle. Also nice is having the app store. I'm mostly peeved by having so many different control panels, how the OS itself still feels like a beta version and that metro and desktop still aren't tied together quite right. On the other hand, if there's something I have trouble finding, I just open the start menu and start typing and what I'm looking for is typically listed immediately.

bluemount

Reaction score
Mac every time. I want to use a machine not be told what it thinks I want to do. And when you do want to do something there will now be a Mac compatible software to do it - not like the 90s when you often had to work around because PC users assumed everyone used MS products.

dancap48066

Reaction score
I tried a Mac, but for some reason just couldn't like it. It didn't have the "flow" of a PC (that may be difficult to understand). I have tried every OS from Microsoft since it's inception (except Vista - my friend had it and warned me feverishly to never get it). I tend to stick to an OS until a new one that's actually better replaces it. I'm actually still on Windows 7. I hated the layout of the 8 series, but it seemed to work well enough. I've since held off on the 10 only due to all my current friends saying how many issues they have had with it so far. I may upgrade eventually (in hopes they fix certain issues..or once most of my associates say it's not so bad.) May seem a bit silly, but having been through many of the OS changes and hating some to the point of wipe and reinstall a different one, I'll wait while 7 is still working just fine.