• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Setting off the Fire Alarm

RazzmaTazz

Be Fucking Nice
Reaction score
OK, so with this new apartment seems one thing that I haven't figured out yet is how to use the stove without setting off the fire alarm every time. Fortunately it's not attached to a system that calls the fire department. So far it's happened a few times when I've tried to make chicken breast. So, someone may have a suggestion here.

I'm baking frozen chicken breast at 375 for 50 minutes. Should I thaw them out first? Maybe how I prepared the sheet pan? In order to make it non-stick I've sprayed it with Pam. Should I not do that?

Oh so frustrating! I'll figure it out eventually.

W

wardell

it's the same way were I live for me no matter what I do the alarm goes off so what I do is pull the circuit breaker for the alarm and I pull the battery but as far as the chicken goes I thaw it out then bake it at 425 for 20

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
@Razz & wardell

It seems home cooking at your places is quite an adventure :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whisper

Crazy Bitch
Reaction score
OK, so with this new apartment seems one thing that I haven't figured out yet is how to use the stove without setting off the fire alarm every time. Fortunately it's not attached to a system that calls the fire department. So far it's happened a few times when I've tried to make chicken breast. So, someone may have a suggestion here.

I'm baking frozen chicken breast at 375 for 50 minutes. Should I thaw them out first? Maybe how I prepared the sheet pan? In order to make it non-stick I've sprayed it with Pam. Should I not do that?

Oh so frustrating! I'll figure it out eventually.

Are you cooking them when they're still frozen? You should let them melt first, then let the temperature rise to room temperature, and then start cooking them. If you try melting them while cooking, you'll end up burning them...

Oh and btw, you do know that chicken has to be cooked well to avoid salmonella? Never eat chicken if it's even little bit raw..

Last edited:

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
Do you have a hood vent? It sounds like you don't have proper ventilation. And depending on the layout of your apartment, installing one could be quite difficult.
Option B...You may want to contact the landlord and see about relocating the alarm further away from the stove.

And thaw the chicken out first...

tonka

Super Vip
Reaction score
Many vent hoods work by running the smoke through a carbon filter. They don't actually vent the air to the outside. If that's what you have, make sure the filter is installed and new.
A window fan can be helpful too. I use mine regularly.
Also...is your oven clean? A silly question maybe, but I have two rental apartments. Most tenants never clean the oven. Modern ovens have a self clean mode that will burn off all the old grease and turn it into dust.

Last edited:
W

wardell

Many vent hoods work by running the smoke through a carbon filter. They don't actually vent the air to the outside. If that's what you have, make sure the filter is installed and new.
Also...is your oven clean? A silly question maybe, but I have two rental apartments. Most tenants never clean the oven. Modern ovens have a self clean mode that will burn off all the old grease and turn it into dust.

my kitchen is stupid I don't have any windows to put a fan in

RazzmaTazz

Be Fucking Nice
Reaction score

Are you cooking them when they're still frozen? You should let them melt first, then let the temperature rise to room temperature, and then start cooking them. If you try melting them while cooking, you'll end up burning them...

Yea, they are still frozen. The directions say you can take them right from the freezer to the oven. I know that ice melting doesn't cause smoke, but I was thinking that had something to do with it.

RazzmaTazz

Be Fucking Nice
Reaction score
Do you have a hood vent? It sounds like you don't have proper ventilation. And depending on the layout of your apartment, installing one could be quite difficult.
Option B...You may want to contact the landlord and see about relocating the alarm further away from the stove.

And thaw the chicken out first...

There is a hood fan, but it doesn't seem to do much. I turn it on full before I open the oven door. And the alarm is about maybe 10 feel diaginally away from the stove, which doesnt help either because it seems a little close. I was going to go to the landlord to see if the prior person had issues with it to.

RazzmaTazz

Be Fucking Nice
Reaction score

Yep, for having prior tenants the oven is remarkably clean. Maybe its because I have new pans and I'm cooking off industrial layers first?

RazzmaTazz

Be Fucking Nice
Reaction score
OK, now this about the alarm is really stupid. Last night, for the first time, I was using my new hot air popcorn popper. It set the damn alarm off! Popcorn, really?

I tried to take the battery out just for the time I was using the kitchen and then it beeps ever so often like it knows there is no batter in it. I guess that is better than setting off the whole thing.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
First of all I must agree with what Whisper and others have said: Thaw the chicken first!!! And even more important: no matter what cooking method you're using, chicken must ALWAYS be really well done - otherwise you'll end up in hospital with salmonella, sooner or later. NOT fun...

And then about the alarm which seems seriously annoying: I think you should get in touch with some handyman / serviceman to take a look at it! It's not acceptable to have the alarm go off when it shouldn't, it's potentially dangerous!

Whisper

Crazy Bitch
Reaction score
Yea, they are still frozen. The directions say you can take them right from the freezer to the oven. I know that ice melting doesn't cause smoke, but I was thinking that had something to do with it.

Ok, that sounds like those frozen, "almost-done" kind of food, not totally raw chicken.

W

wardell

OK, now this about the alarm is really stupid. Last night, for the first time, I was using my new hot air popcorn popper. It set the damn alarm off! Popcorn, really?

I tried to take the battery out just for the time I was using the kitchen and then it beeps ever so often like it knows there is no batter in it. I guess that is better than setting off the whole thing.

if you alarm is like mine you also need to pull and circuit breaker to stop the beeping

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Yikes! Yes, you should definitely be able to cook without setting off the smoke alarm. But here's a few things that can make your cooking experience better. So, here is a long-winded reply to a simple request. (My speciality!)

It's the PAM - that's what's burning at 400 degrees. Don't do that. It wasn't designed for that much heat.

No, you can't just cook frozen chicken breasts. I don't care what they say on the package, they will be crispy on the outside and raw on the inside. Put them in the fridge before you go to bed the night before to let them defrost slowly and safely. (I set a reminder on my smart phone for the days I am planning to use something from the freezer.)

Don't bake chicken breasts in a pan in the oven. (I assume you are talking about a half or split breast.) There is no way to get it to cook evenly because of it's shape and all that dry heat.

You can make delicious chicken - you might just want to take a different approach. Remember:
AnyoneCanCook.jpg

Alternative 1 - Chicken Breasts Cooked in Foil
Do this instead of baking breasts. It's just as easy, cooks faster, tastes better, and won't set off the alarm.

1. Rub the chicken breasts with oilve oil and put in aluminum foil with some salt, pepper, and onion slices. Completely cover them so they are in a foil pouch and put them in the oven like that.
  2. They will steam in the foil for about 35 minutes. Be careful opening because of the steam. Options: add herbs like thyme or rosemary, or get a blend like poultry or Italian seasoning. To make the meat even more tasty and appealing, brown in a skillet on the stove before steaming in the pouch.

Alternative 2 - Easy Chicken Fricassee
A fricassee is just meat cooked in liquid. If you can master this you can make dozens of dishes just by varying the flavors and ingredients.

1. Cook in a pan (non-stick preferred) on the stove. Add a little olive oil and let it heat (but not burn).
  2. Brown the chicken breast about 2 or 3 minutes per side.
  3. Add some onions, garlic (or garlic powder) and add about a half an inch of canned chicken broth. Cover and turn down heat to simmer for about ten minutes. The steam will cook the chicken.
  4. Remove cover and remove chicken, set aside to rest and turn up heat to boil down the broth for a few minutes until half of it is gone. Serve the broth and onions over the chicken. This is great with some rice or mashed potatoes.

This is your basic chicken fricassee. You can add extras like celery, carrots, mushrooms, herbs, and a little white wine to get fancy.

Alternate 3 - Fast Roast Chicken
If you are going to roast something in the oven, man up and do a whole chicken. It looks fancy, but it's the easiest thing in the world to make. Get a whole small young chicken - say 3 pounds or under. They are usually very cheap. This recipe uses the heat of a skillet to cook the dark meat (legs & thighs) faster than the white meat (breast & wings). This gets the dark meet done, without overcooking and drying out the white meat.

1. To do this fast, you need a heavy 12 inch oven-safe skillet or dutch oven. (If you don't know what a dutch oven is, Google it. It's a heavy pan with high sides and a lid.) Preheat oven to 450 and put the skillet in the oven.
  2. Rinse the chicken under slow cold water. Remove neck and giblets from the inside. Throw away. Pat the bird dry with a towel. (Throw the towel in the wash.)
  3. Rub the skin with softened butter or olive oil. Salt and pepper the skin. Peel and cut up an onion into four pieces and stuff in the cavity.
  4. Carefully remove the hot skillet, and set it on the stove. Put the chicken in the skillet, breast up. Put the skillet back in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
  5. Turn off the oven, but leave the chicken in for another 35 minutes.
  6. Remove the chicken and set it on a cutting board (with some paper towels to soak any leaking juices) for 15 minutes, while you whip up anything else you are having with the chicken. (A pouch of instant mashed potatoes is fast and yummy. Or fix a salad if you are feeling healthy.) Note: Resting the chicken is important. Don't skip this step - it is still cooking.
  7. Carve and eat. (If you've never carved a chicken, Google it. If you are old enough to be on this site, you should learn how to carve a chicken.)) A roast chicken can give you meals for a week. It's the modern equivalent of our cave man ancestors killing a buffalo.

Misc tips

Assume that raw chicken is contaminated with bacteria. Wash your hands immediately after handling and before you pick up anything else. I fill the sink or a bowl with warm soapy water and a few drops of bleach. That makes it easy to swish my hands around in the water every time I handle raw meat.

Get an instant read thermometer. To be safe, chicken breast or white meat is cooked to 160 degrees and legs/thighs or dark meat is cooked to 175 degrees. I have given you approximate times for cooking, but a thermometer is the best way to tell.

Here are three things that you want to spend money on: A chef's knife, a good skillet, and a dutch oven. In these items you need quality, but you don't want to spend a fortune either.
  • A good Chef's knife - this can carve a chicken or cut vegetables. It's the most versatile knife you can own. The Victorinox is as good as knives costing four times as much.
  • A 12 inch skillet - This is a kitchen workhorse, and a well-made one should last a lifetime. Cheap skillets don't heat evenly and can't go in the oven.
  • A dutch oven - A Dutch oven just might be the most important—and versatile—cooking vessel you can own. Dutch ovens can go on the stove and in the oven, making them ideal for braising meat; cooking soups, stews, and sauces; boiling water; and frying. The really good one's are about $400. But this Cuisinart gets close for a lot less money.

Last edited:

Stonecold

GTM Movies
Staff member
Reaction score
topdog that is great advice above. I am going to try the Victorinox knife. I can't agree more on having a really good skillet and dutch oven. I went years with just average ones and after I got higher end ones I was shocked how much difference they make. Higher end thrift stores are great places to get high quality skillets and dutch ovens for a decent price. I also would recommend Macy's Thanksgiving night if you can handle long lines.

tonka

Super Vip
Reaction score
There is a hood fan, but it doesn't seem to do much. I turn it on full before I open the oven door. And the alarm is about maybe 10 feel diaginally away from the stove, which doesnt help either because it seems a little close. I was going to go to the landlord to see if the prior person had issues with it to.

So you have the detector near the stove in a poorly ventilated kitchen?
That's really poor design.
Fire codes differ, but in my state, you are not even required to have a detector in the kitchen, for just this reason.
There are some new smoke detectors that are better for kitchens. They have a hush button that makes it less sensitive for a short time. Maybe that would help.
I would also make sure your vent has the charcoal filter installed (if it is that style). When I had my kitchen rehabbed, my contractor forgot to put in the filter. It took me a while to figure it out.

I would talk to the landlord. You should be able to cook in your kitchen. Maybe the stove is so clean...because the prior tenant couldn't even use it.

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
Those "filter" vents are junk, a proper vent is ducted to the outside. It's a lot more expensive, but worth it. I can't say much, I don't have any vent at all. Just a window above the stove. Yet another issue owning a 100 plus year old house...

Stonecold

GTM Movies
Staff member
Reaction score
How wonderful living in a old house filled with so much character.

RazzmaTazz

Be Fucking Nice
Reaction score
Well, the management company came and replaced the alarm yesterday when I was at work. We will see what happens now when I do some cooking over the weekend.