• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

EuroPride 2010: Poland hosts landmark European gay pride

B

Bo.

17 July 2010 Last updated at 14:07 GMT

It was the first time the annual EuroPride march was being held in Central or Eastern Europe.

Several small counter-demonstrations were also held and some people hurled eggs and abuse at those in the parade.

A BBC correspondent says gay people in staunchly Roman Catholic Poland find it hard to be open about their sexuality.

Church leaders and politicians regularly speak out against homosexuality, Adam Easton reports from Warsaw.

EuroPride's organisers say they want to fight discrimination against homosexuality and promote a debate about legalising same-sex relationships in Poland.

Vuvuzelas and drums

The colourful parade began to the sound of pounding drums and vuvuzelas, our correspondent says.

Floats covered in rainbow flags and balloons carried politicians from Poland and across Europe.

One person was dressed in a devil mask and horns - a cheeky reference, perhaps, to the controversy this year's EuroPride has caused in Poland, our correspondent says.

"We feel like they are 20 years behind the Netherlands," said Ad Bakker, a 39-year-old from Holland who travelled to Warsaw to show solidarity with Polish friends.

"But the atmosphere is good and we hope that EuroPride will help," he told the Associated Press news agency.

A Polish friend of his, Sebastian Blaszczyk, 36, said the situation was improving every year but Poland still had far to go in accepting gay people.

While EuroPride's organisers had hoped a minimum of 20,000 people from across Europe would join the event, police estimates put the figure at several thousand.

By comparison, more than a million people attended a gay pride march in Madrid three years ago, our correspondent adds.

Warsaw's authorities were given a petition with more than 50,000 signatures from anti-gay groups demanding the cancellation of the event.

British solidarity

In a recent survey, almost two-thirds of respondents said homosexual couples should not be open about their sexuality.

It is extremely rare to see gay couples holding hands even in Warsaw, Poland's most cosmopolitan city, our correspondent says.

Those who do face verbal or physical violence, such as Ryszard Giersz, 25, from a small town near the German border.

He won a small amount of damages in court last year after neighbours repeatedly verbally abused him and threw tomatoes and stones at him.

The UK's ruling Conservative Party sent its most senior openly gay member to the event.

Nick Herbert told the BBC his presence at the parade illustrated Britain's support for human rights.

"Equality, respect for human rights, is fundamental for the ethos of the European Union and I think it's entirely appropriate and right that the British Government should be represented here by me and the ambassador in saying that we stand full square behind these values," he said.

Mr Herbert said his party and its coalition partner the Liberal Democrats had a "really ambitious programme of reform and entrenching equality for LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] people".

chriskrak

Super Vip
Reaction score
So Mr Cameron has sent one of his people to participate in the event? Didn't hear about that in the Polish media...

Well, this looks like another heavy bout of hypocrisy. In the European Parliament, the Tories are cooperating with the Kaczynski party PiS, and Mr Cameron made Mr Kaminski, formerly the head of Lech Kaczynski's Presidential Chancery, leader of the Conservative group in the EP.

Mr Kaminski is famous for the following live dialogue on Polish TV:

Kaminski: The international faggot organisations are attacking our president...

TV host: Beg your pardon?

Kaminski: I said, the international faggot...

TV host (interrupting him): Don't you think there is another word for that?

Kaminski: But they ARE faggots, so what?

"Tell me who your friends are, ..." :p

Oh, btw, here's a nice picture gallery of today's Warsaw event:
http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/Wiadomosci/5,80291,8148770,Europride_2010_w_Warszawie__ZDJECIA_.html?i=0

Last edited:
B

Bo.

Thanks for the info and the picture gallery, chriskrak! :)

On our local TV news they said that this gay march in Warsaw was being held since 2001 except in 2004 and 2005 when the mayor of the city at that time, Lech Kaczynski, didn't allow it.

chriskrak

Super Vip
Reaction score
Yeah, and as I said in my message marking the Smolensk plane crash in April, Kaczynski's bans were later declared unconstitutional by the Polish Constitutional Tribunal :butslap:

As concerns gay parades in Poland in general, the Warsaw event today luckily appears to have been unusually quiet - when it comes to the activities of right-wing counter demonstrations. There's also an annual parade in Krakow, and that is always accompanied by heavy clashes between right-wing extremists and the police. In fact, it's always great fun to see just HOW fast those skinheads can run when chased by the police with rubber truncheons :rofl:

Slimjim, it seems to me that politicians tend to be hypocritical not only in the U.K. - but I think pretending to be a torchbearer of gay and lesbian rights and at the same time making one of Europe's top homophobes your leader in the European Parliament IS a nice example :p

Last edited:

ritsuka

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
This is very encouraging, especially having heard about the ban imposed by the homophobic mayor of Warsaw in the past. Hopefully more Polish will be able to throw off the attack of right wing politicians/the church and accept their fellow humans regardless of sexuality or gender stereotypes.

Last edited:

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
I disagree Teggy... Cameron is at least 3-faced!.. and they are all as shiny/waxy as the other.... see below