• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Irish Cabinet Minister Announces He's Gay

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Irish Cabinet Minister Announces He's Gay
Associated Press | By SHAWN POGATCHNIK | 11:30am EST January 18 2015

205320289338e9f327d226dd8c0099453c42b8be.jpg

DUBLIN (AP) — A senior Cabinet minister in Ireland says he's gay, becoming the first openly homosexual government figure in the history of the traditionally conservative Catholic country.

Sunday's announcement on state radio by Health Minister Leo Varadkar received widespread praise for its straightforward honesty. Analysts said his decision was likely to be viewed with hindsight as a landmark of social change in a country that, until 1993, outlawed homosexual acts.

Varadkar said he decided to declare his sexuality in advance of government moves this year to advance gay rights. These include plans to legalize gay marriage, permit homosexual men to donate blood, and create greater parenthood rights for gays in surrogate-pregnancy cases. He said May's constitutional referendum on gay marriage, in particular, got him thinking about going public.

"I was thinking about the arguments that I might make. That's what politicians do. You rehearse your arguments, you write them down, you run them by a few people. All the arguments that I was going to make were kind of detached ... and that wouldn't have been entirely honest," he told RTE.

"Because what I really want to say is that I'd like the referendum to pass because I'd like to be an equal citizen in my own country — the country in which I happen to be a member of government — and at the moment I'm not," he said.

Varadkar, who made his announcement on his 36th birthday, is highly regarded in Irish political circles as one of the government's hardest working members and a potential future prime minister. Speculation about his sexuality had grown in recent months, reflecting Varadkar's decision to tell an increasing circle of his family, friends and political colleagues in private.

Varadkar said he told his parents in advance of his plans to come out publicly, in part because he didn't want them to get the news from fellow parishioners at Catholic Mass.

He said he also telephoned Prime Minister Enda Kenny on Saturday to tell him he was gay and planned to tell the nation the following day. He said his own initial feeling of awkwardness was quickly alleviated by Kenny, who reassured him that nothing in their working relationship would change — and then asked his minister whether he'd ever been to Dublin's most prominent drag venue, Pantibar. Kenny paid a surprise visit to the venue last month.

Varadkar said he'd never been there, to which Kenny replied: "There you go Varadkar, I'm ahead of you already."

Two other lawmakers in Ireland's 166-seat legislature are openly gay. Ireland legalized civil partnerships in 2011.

SOURCE

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
I wouldn't count myself among Varadkar's fans, but, I like the straightforwardness of his coming out. "I'd like to be an equal citizen in my own country — the country in which I happen to be a member of government — and at the moment I'm not" - that's a powerful argument!

I'm in the annoying situation that I can't vote in the up-coming referendum because I am only the civil partner of an Irishman, one of the things I will get should full marriage equality come to pass is a right to Irish citizenship, and a right to vote in future referenda.

*fingers crossed for May*

Urban

Donator
Reaction score
"I'd like to be an equal citizen in my own country — the country in which I happen to be a member of government — and at the moment I'm not"

That's the quote that shouted out to me too! One to remember.