• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Americans' views on morality: Fewer taboos, but values seen worsening

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Americans' views on morality: Fewer taboos, but values seen worsening
Christian Science Monitor | By Brad Knickerbocker | June 13, 2015 10:01 AM

Recent polling shows Americans think the moral tone in the US is bad and getting worse. Still, people are becoming more tolerant regarding certain controversial moral issues, including premarital sex, stem cell research, and euthanasia.

21244496847151a84a95c1920f295688084d8d27.jpg

The Gallup polling organization has been taking America’s moral pulse, and the results are telling, even though they may appear contradictory.

As Frank Newport, Gallup’s Editor-in-Chief, puts it: “We have Americans largely saying that the overall moral tone of our culture is in bad shape and getting worse, even as they increasingly say that formerly taboo behaviors are morally acceptable.”

Seventy-two percent of those surveyed believe the state of moral values in the United States is getting worse, while just 22 percent say it is getting better – a trend that has continued since Gallup began asking this question each year since 2002.

At the same time, the American public has become more tolerant on a number of moral issues, including premarital sex, embryonic stem cell research, and euthanasia.

“On a list of 19 major moral issues of the day, Americans express levels of moral acceptance that are as high or higher than in the past on 12 of them, a group that also encompasses social mores such as polygamy, having a child out of wedlock, and divorce,” Gallup reports.

Specific examples:

Sixty-nine percent say divorce is “largely acceptable.” Sixty-six percent say the same about sex between an unmarried man and woman; 65 percent on medical research using stem cells from human embryos; 58 percent on having a child outside of marriage.

Married men and women engaging in an affair remains consistently unacceptable by more than 90 percent of those surveyed. But other issues traditionally seen as taboo are rising in acceptability, including suicide (which 19 percent of Americans call "morally acceptable"), polygamy (16 percent) and cloning human beings (15 percent).

Mr. Newport finds five things of particular interest in his organization’s recent polling:

1. “The shift toward more liberal attitudes on a number of social and values issues has occurred across the age spectrum, not just among young people.”

2. “Americans have not shifted their views of all moral issues over time. The notable exception is the American public's views of married men and women having an affair, which have not changed much. That particular behavior remains essentially culturally taboo (in the sense that it is viewed as morally unacceptable to 90%+ of the public), even as other behaviors relating to sexual behavior and procreation have shifted.”

3. “The largest shifts in cultural attitudes have been those relating to gay and lesbian issues.”

4. “Despite these shifts in attitudes, 72 percent of Americans say the state of moral values is getting worse in this country rather than better.”

5. “All cultural shifts have consequences. One such consequence is politics.”

That there would be a difference between Democrats and Republicans here may not be surprising, but the size of that difference may be.

As Gallup’s Rebecca Riffkin puts it: “In the 12 years Gallup has asked this overall question, Democrats have become significantly more tolerant on many issues, while independents generally show a smaller shift in the same direction and Republicans' views have changed little. The percentage of Democrats who say an issue is morally acceptable has increased for 10 issues, including abortion, sex between an unmarried man and woman, extramarital affairs, cloning humans, divorce, cloning animals, suicide, research using stem cells from human embryos, polygamy, and gay and lesbian relations.”

The Pew Research Center reported this week that “public support for allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally continues its rapid rise (57-39 percent) … the highest level of support measured for same-sex marriage in nearly 20 years.”

“But here's something perhaps even more telling,” the Washington Post observed. “Even those who don't support same-sex marriage (mainly, religious conservatives) also think it's inevitable same-sex marriage will soon be legal across America.”

Among Republicans as well as Democrats, according to Pew, 72 percent think same-sex marriage (now legal in 36 states and the District of Columbia) will become legal in all jurisdictions.

Given the trends in public opinion regarding such issues as gay marriage, stem cell research, and abortion, Gallup’s Frank Newport says, “There is little doubt that it's likely to be a more difficult environment in this election for conservative candidates to focus on specific moral issues than has been the case in previous cycles.”

SOURCE

Last edited:

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
"Seventy-two percent of those surveyed believe the state of moral values in the United States is getting worse, while just 22 percent say it is getting better – a trend that has continued since Gallup began asking this question each year since 2002."
I don't think that is a trend that has continued since 2002, it's been like that since the beginning of time.

So true! Every generation thinks that the world "is going to hell in a hand basket" (as my grandmother would say).

I think Gallup would agree with us on that speculation. But since their data on that topic only goes back to 2002, they are limiting their report to the facts in their polling.

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
Gallup polls are complete bullshit. It's just idiots standing outside a Walmart store asking questions. These are the same idiots that crowned Evansville, IN "Fattest City In America" a couple of years ago. How did they come to that conclusion? They stood outside Walmart and asked people if they thought they were over weight? No studies, no research, no hard data, just opinion. And as we all know, most people if asked will say they think they're overweight because all we ever see in the media is bikini bombshells and six pack abs...

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Gallup polls are complete bullshit. It's just idiots standing outside a Walmart store asking questions. These are the same idiots that crowned Evansville, IN "Fattest City In America" a couple of years ago. How did they come to that conclusion? They stood outside Walmart and asked people if they thought they were over weight? No studies, no research, no hard data, just opinion. And as we all know, most people if asked will say they think they're overweight because all we ever see in the media is bikini bombshells and six pack abs...

I disagree strongly - Gallup has real value, they ask a consistent set of questions over a long stretch of time.

The Gallup data is no more or less than a record of the opinions of ordinary Americans over time - that is valuable in many ways.

The important thing about Gallup data is to understand that it is ONLY a record of opinions, so if you rely on it for anything other than opinion, you are misusing the dataset.

Imagine how much deeper our understanding of the Middle Ages would be if we had a record of the opinions of the average peasant outside the local bakery!

B.

H

HustleMe15

What Are Morals Anyhow?

Morality: is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are distinguished as proper and those that are improper: In other words, it is the disjunction between right and wrong. Morality can be a body of standards or principles derived from a code of conduct from a particular philosophy, religion, or culture, or it can derive from a standard that a person believes should be universal. [Taken from Wikipedia]

So really morals are a small group of people telling a larger group of people what is right and wrong. Congress to the people! What may be morally offensive to you may be totally OK with me and vice versa. Take the biggest topic of the day: Marriage Equality. To nearly every Republican in sight marriage equality is morally wrong because God says that marriage is to be between one man and one woman. Though to me it is morally fine because love is love and we shouldn't be letting government dictate who we can an cannot give our benefits too.

Here is another example on a more personal level. Most people think that it is morally wrong to have an affair while in a committed relationship. Whereas Nick and I think that it is totally fine to have sex with others outside the two of us as long as we are open about it, don't try to hide it, and let the other partner know beforehand that "this" relationship won't go any farther than just sex and a casual friendship.

Yea, there may be fewer taboos than there were in the past because people are finally coming around to the fact that the only people that taboos hurt were the people that were against them, if you follow what I'm trying to say. As for values worsening, that has to be false. Values can't worsen, they can only change. Again going back to the marriage equality "value": The value is changing from marriage being exclusive to man/woman couples to now including everyone. The concept and purpose of marriage sure hasn't changed in the slightest.

And as for their examples: Premarital Sex - I think that people are just changing to be OK with exploring their sexuality before getting married. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it only the woman who had to be a virgin on their wedding night? Or did that include the boys as well? I just think that if you are going to have premarital sex that you be ready to pony up if a kid comes out of the deal. You knew there was a chance going in, condom or not!

Stem Cell Research - I'm still sort of against this. I may sound cruel and harsh, but we weren't meant to live forever and by stringing out our lives past where nature said it should have ended is just putting a strain on society and breaking the bank on Social Security, Medicare, and increasing the medical debt of the elderly. Let me die when I am supposed to die and I'll be happy.

Euthanasia - I'm all for it just like prostitution and abortion. Who am I to say what another person wants to do to their body? Yea I get the point that you want the person to fully understand because once you make the decision there is no coming back. But to folks who are suffering from life ending disease and are in great pain that won't stop until the end, I can understand that. I don't wish that on myself, or anyone that I love. It sounds harsh to "put someone out of their misery", but we do it to dogs and cats all the time to stop their suffering and they are just pets! Why would we want our love ones to suffer the same pain until the go naturally? That is just wrong!

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
I think Abortion is the single least-clear-cut moral issue on the planet.

People who are against abortion are not against you controlling your body, they genuinely believe life begins at conception, and hence, that abortion is cold-blooded murder. If you believe life begins at conception, you simply can't be in favour of elective abortions. And you also can't believe it's about the woman's body, because you believe it's about another person's body!

The big problem with believing life begins at conception is that it turns many forms of birth control (not just the morning after pill BTW, uncontroversial stuff like the coil too) are murder because they work by stopping a fertilised egg implanting in the womb. This is why some of the recent personhood amendments in the US were so dangerous, and why they couldn't even pass in southern states like Mississippi.

Compared to abortion, euthanasia and prostitution are much simpler moral issues. The problem is not with the act itself, but with being careful that it is not abused. That's a much simpler proposition.

You can regulate prostitution, and many countries do. You can make pimping illegal, but not prostitution. You can use work-place regulations to mandate safe working environments, and so on and so forth.

Similarly, you can regulate euthanasia so it is available to those who really want it, without it become easy to get, or easy to abuse. Again, many countries have done this. I also strongly disagree with classifying genuine euthanasia as murder. It would only be murder if the person was pressured into it, or it was done against their will.

There are opportunist for abuses all over the place, we do not deal with them by outlawing everything, but by outlawing the abuses. That is why we have customers rights legislation, health and safety legislation, workers rights legislation, and so on. If your only objection to something is that it could be abused, you should be campaigning for regulation, not criminalisation of the act!

B.