• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Best gay novel

Deeperhole

Reaction score
Hi,

who is able to provide me with titles of the best gay-themed books for 2019?

Thanks

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Well, if the emphasis is on "best" then my first thought is Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh - one of the great novels of the 20th century. It tells the story of its narrator, Charles Ryder, and his association with an English Catholic aristocratic family. He first falls in love with the Sebastian in college, and then later in life with Sebastian's sister, Julia in between the two world wars.

There was also a spectacular TV version (11 hours) done in 1981 starring Jeremy Irons that follows the book almost to the word. If you are interested, see that rather than the 2 hour 2008 film that hacks the meaning out of the story and turns it in to a family melodrama.

But, the book is the best. There is also the Audible Audio book which is read by Jeremy Irons which is kind of the best of both worlds.

jeremy-irons-brideshead-caps-episode2.jpg

trencherman

Reaction score
There was also a spectacular TV version (11 hours) done in 1981 starring Jeremy Irons that follows the book almost to the word. If you are interested, see that rather than the 2 hour 2008 film that hacks the meaning out of the story and turns it in to a family melodrama.

But, the book is the best. There is also the Audible Audio book which is read by Jeremy Irons which is kind of the best of both worlds.

Not to take issue with Topdog ever,

Can’t take Jeremy Irons then and ever since. The theme music sounds to me like a paraphrasing of Domenico Zipoli, appropriately enough, since this is, after all, a renegade Catholic family. The only scene I can take satisfaction from is when the starting artist/narrator paid his parsimonious dad, played by John Gielgud, a visit for the usual reason (advice and financial support). He did not get either.

Just listen to the Audiobook, read aloud by John Gilgud, which is lightyears way better than the alternative.

Hyp

Director of Mergers & Acquisitions
Reaction score
I've been reading the Pink Video Mysteries series by Marshall Thornton.
They're set in the 90s (his earlier book series Boystown was set in the 80s)
Book 4, Rewind, was released a couple months ago.

shain707

Reaction score
The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst . Won the Booker prize for 2004

shain707

Reaction score
Well, if the emphasis is on "best" then my first thought is Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh - one of the great novels of the 20th century. It tells the story of its narrator, Charles Ryder, and his association with an English Catholic aristocratic family. He first falls in love with the Sebastian in college, and then later in life with Sebastian's sister, Julia in between the two world wars.

Does that mean the only gay parts are at the start and then it's not really about them anymore?

Coolio

Reaction score

It's not really a gay novel. It's not really clear that Sebastian is gay.

More so a book about Catholicism, from the perspective of the agnostic. Alcoholism. Innocence. The memory of lost youth.

Gayness as a theme is in the mix though. But not as the main focus.

I guess as a gay reader, if it has a big impact on you, you could see it - or experience it - as the main theme.

A good book means different things to different people.

Coolio

Reaction score
The only scene I can take satisfaction from is when the starting artist/narrator paid his parsimonious dad, played by John Gielgud, a visit for the usual reason (advice and financial support). He did not get either.

He did give him sound advice. And the not giving him further financial support was about underlining that advice.

Just listen to the Audiobook, read aloud by John Gilgud, which is lightyears way better than the alternative.

I agree.