• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Boaty McBoatface

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
So here in UK we are building a new polar exploration vessel

and the Natural Environment Research Council decided to ask the public to suggest possible names with a public vote to find the most popular.... I bet they won't do it again as there were many very silly suggestions which by the look of it tapped into the inner child in us all as the top of the poll, with around 124,000 votes was RRS Boaty McBoatface, among many other suggestions were :

RRS It's Bloody Cold Here; RRS Usain Boat; RRS Boatimus Prime; RRS I Like Big Boats & I Cannot Lie; RRS Ice Ice Baby; RRS Big Metal FloatyThingy-Thing; RRS Obi-Boat-Kenobi; RRS Boatasaurus Rex; RRS Boat Marley and The Whalers; RRS Clifford the Big Red Boat; RRS Chill.I.Am; RRS BippityBoppirtyFloatyBoaty; RRS Hank The Angry Drunken Dwarf; RRS Mötorboat; RRS Millennium Falcon; RRS Icey Smashy-Smash and RRS Boatback Mountain

Sadly none of these were chosen, they went for the 4th place in the poll - the RRS David Attenborough although showing that they have taken it well and have a sense of humour one of the remote controlled submersible craft WILL be named Boaty McBoatface :rofl:

Although The Yellow Submarine would be an obvious choice

Last edited:

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
I thought the name on the mock up had a certain ring to it.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
And the moral of the story is that the public are idiots! Remind me, why do we trust them to elect our governments? ;)

I have to say, I just love RRS Icey Smashy-Smash.

Seriously though, I can't think of a more worthy Brit to name an exploration ship after.

B.

c750dt

GayHeaven's Hottie
Reaction score
LMAO. They poll the public and everyone's like oh, just call it Boaty McBoatface.

Why tell the people they can pick the name if they really can't? It's not like any harm would come of naming the boat Boaty McBoatface.

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
And the moral of the story is that the public are idiots! Remind me, why do we trust them to elect our governments? ;)
I have to say, I just love RRS Icey Smashy-Smash.
B.

Well there was that recent public vote to decide where Justin Bieber should tour - and the winner by a huge margin was Nth Korea!! :)

I'm torn between Boatimus Prime and Big Metal FloatyThingy-Thing :rofl::thumbs up:

Last edited:

c750dt

GayHeaven's Hottie
Reaction score
Boatback Mountain makes me giggle. Oh also, remember this poll with Mountain Dew? LMAO @ Fapple. https://anon.to/J5Ya8F

Last edited:

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Just been listening to a report about it on the BBC - there were over 7000 names suggested!! :eek::eek::eek:

james1981

Reaction score
Hey so I"m usually a stodgy and sciency kind of person and really like David Attenborough. It certainly is a prestigious honour to name a ship after him and to have a ship named after him.

However, think about the name Boaty McBoatface. That kind of name would get lots of people really interested in the ship, what it is doing, what it is all about. Gee wiz, they might actually learn something... from Boaty McBoatface! I actually think the entire thing is a stroke of genius. They really should have went with the public name. Parents would have taken their kids to see Boaty McBoatface; kids would be delighted to visit Boaty McBoatface; British scientists would be happy to explain what Boaty McBoatface is up to.

Also, the ship does look like a Boaty McBoatface, to be perfectly honest. The submarine looks cartoonist too.

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
Hey so I"m usually a stodgy and sciency kind of person and really like David Attenborough. It certainly is a prestigious honour to name a ship after him and to have a ship named after him.

However, think about the name Boaty McBoatface. That kind of name would get lots of people really interested in the ship, what it is doing, what it is all about. Gee wiz, they might actually learn something... from Boaty McBoatface! I actually think the entire thing is a stroke of genius. They really should have went with the public name. Parents would have taken their kids to see Boaty McBoatface; kids would be delighted to visit Boaty McBoatface; British scientists would be happy to explain what Boaty McBoatface is up to.

Also, the ship does look like a Boaty McBoatface, to be perfectly honest. The submarine looks cartoonist too.

You actually hit on something there... Imagine an animated educational children's program...

"The Adventures Of Boaty McBoatface"

Not to mention a potential crossover with "Sponge Bob Squarepants" for sweeps week...:p

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score

You're on to something there. This could have been turned into a big boost for polularising science.

I guess the counter-arument is that it makes a mockery of a very serious, and very expensive, scientific instrument.

I'm not sure the dusty halls of government beaurocracy are ready to fund a Boaty McBoatface, but it would have been fun if they had been!

B.

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Well if the heads of departments at NERC had just decided amongst themselves to name the boat "Arctic Explorer" or something similar almost no-one would have known anything about it, or the research work it is planned to be used for whereas now it's been all over the media. And as the name has been chosen, and co-incidentely today happens to be David Attenborough's 90th birthday, the story is featured again in some of todays Sunday paper. I read that there were over 124,000 votes for Boaty McBoatface.

There is now a new on-line petition to rename Sir David Attenborough......yeah you guessed correctly - to Boaty McBoatface:rofl:

Last edited:

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
There is now a new on-line petition to rename Sir David Attenborough......yeah you guessed correctly - to Boaty McBoatface:rofl:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B]

LOL - surely "whisperer McWhisperson" would be more appropriate, given his very distinctive delivery.

B.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
In time of war the ship would change to a military role under the command of the Royal Navy.
How silly would Boaty McBoatface sound then?
No more silly, to British ears, than the American Navy ship USS Ponce.

Last edited:

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
In time of war the ship would change to a military role under the command of the Royal Navy.
How silly would Boaty McBoatface sound then?
No more silly, to British ears, than the American Navy ship USS Ponce.

I dunno - I'd quite like to see the Queen pinning a medal to a Captain for bravery while commanding the HMS Boaty McBoatface!

B.

netdick

Reaction score
I was a yes, but I don't mind the actual name. I think it's a great mark of respect to the man! 2. X-Men 2 (2003)

Last edited by a moderator: