• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

The 2009 Emmy Awards

raisinboy

The Destroyer
Reaction score
The nominations were announced today, so yeah, here's a discussion thread for all TV geeks like me.

Here are the most important nominations (to me) and my thoughts about them (copied from my blog):

Outstanding Comedy Series
Family Guy
30 Rock
Weeds
How I Met Your Mother
The Office
Flight of the Conchords
Entourage

FAMILY GUY? WHAT THE FUCK? This show is four years past its prime and barely watchable nowadays! I do appreciate that an animated show broke into the main category, but not this one! It could have been Seth McFarlane's other, far superior show American Dad or maybe even The Simpsons who had their best season in ten years. As for the other nominations, I'm surprised and pleased Two and a Half Men didn't get its usual nomination, and I'm thrilled to see Flight of the Conchords and How I Met Your Mother (finally!) on the list. I guess 30 Rock will win for the third time.

Outstanding Drama Series
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Lost
Damages
Dexter
Big Love
House

First of all - why are there seven nominations this years? (And six in most other categories?) I thought five worked just fine. I really, really miss Friday Night Lights and maybe Sons of Anarchy from this list. Of those shows above I only want Breaking Bad to win. But Mad Men will win again which is okay.

Lead Actor in a Drama
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Hugh Laurie, House
Gabriel Byrne, In Treatment
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Simon Baker, The Mentalist

Since Damian Lewis got overlooked, I'm all for Gabriel Byrne. Bran Cranston got it last year and would deserve it again, but Gabriel Byrne is also deserving and I'm all for fairness. I guess Jon Hamm will get it. Hugh Laurie is long over-due but he should have gotten it a few years ago, not now.

Lead Actress in a Drama
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Glenn Close, Damages
Sally Field, Brothers and Sisters
Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order: SVU
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
Holly Hunter, Saving Grace

Wow, almost the same names like last year. I hoped for Connie Britton since her stuff is actually what those Academies like to see, but alas! So, I'm for, well, let's say Glenn Close. She's outstanding on Damages.

Lead Actor in a Comedy
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Steve Carell, The Office
Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men
Tony Shalhoub, Monk
Jemaine Clement, Flight of the Conchords

No Lee Pace? Jim Parsons being nominated is the biggest and most welcome surprise for me. He's the funniest character on TV right now and his delivery is flawless. Jemaine Clement was also a nice surprise though I'm all Bret's. But since both won't win I hope Alec Baldwin will step aside and finally let Steve Carell win his Emmy. He would even deserve it this year with his Holly-romance and the Michael Scott Paper Company arc.

Lead Actress in a Comedy
Toni Collette, United States of Tara
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine
Sarah Silverman, The Sarah Silverman Program
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds
Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?

This was expected and I can live with this list (it's the one category I can always agree on). Yay for finally no Desperate Housewive or America Ferrara (who's the worst thing about her own show) on the list. Biggest surprise would be Sarah Silverman, of course. I really love her and she'S perfect in her show, but acting-wise that show shouldn't be anywhere near those other ladies. I kinda want Chrisitna Applegate to win, even though I don't watch her show. It will probably be Tina Fey again, and I'm fine with that, but I would also like Mary-Louise Parker to get the Emmy. Even though I didn't love Season Four of Weeds as much as the first three seasons, her material was very, very strong.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

William Shatner, Boston Legal
Christian Clemenson, Boston Legal
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
William Hurt, Damages
Michael Emerson, Lost
John Slattery, Mad Men

Aaron Paul all the way. I loved him from the get-go. And may I just say that I thought William Hurt was actually really weak on Damages? Also, I would have loved to see Ryan Kwanten on this list but True Bood got mostly ignored (it's a genre show, after all). I can't possibly predict a winner here. Michael Emerson seems to be a good bet, but the Academy just seems to love Boston Legal so I really don't know.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Rose Byrne, Damages
Sandra Oh, Grey’s Anatomy
Chandra Wilson, Grey’s Anatomy
Dianne Wiest, In Treatment
Hope Davis, In Treatment
Cherry Jones, 24

Katey Segal should have been on this list. It bears repeating: Katey Segal should have been on this list. And she should have won. So now I'm hoping for one of the In Treatment ladies.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Kevin Dillon, Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Rainn Wilson, The Office
Tracy Morgan, 30 Rock
Jack McBrayer, 30 Rock
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men

With two SNL-ladies in the Supporting category, Bill Hader should have been here. But I'm more than thrilled that Jeremy Piven isn't on this list cause now Neil Patrick Harris can finally win his well-deserved Award. And while we're at it, he's also the Host that night so that would be especially awesome!

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Kristin Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies
Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live
Kristin Wiig, Saturday Night Live
Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock
Vanessa William, Ugly Betty
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds

Oh look, a Pushing Daisies-nomination. I love Amy Poeler but she was barely on Saturday Night Life this year (and hey - if they wanted to nominate her, why no for Parks and recreation, you know, the show she's actually on?). And even though I have to admit she is all good and funny - I can't stand Kristin Wiig's crazy characters on Saturday Night Live. Vanessa Williams is two years too late for the party, Elizabeth Perkins' character arc was maybe a little bit too crazy last year on Weeds, so I'm all for Jane Krakowski. She never fails to crack me up. Which I can also say for Kaitlin Olson in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. If you can nominate Sarah Silverman, why not Kaitlin? But the one who really should win this is Portia De Rossi for Better Off Ted. Well, maybe next year.

Outstanding Animated Program
American Dad • Sixteen-Hundred Candles
Robot Chicken • Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode II
South Park • Margaritaville
The Simpsons • Gone Maggie Gone

As much as I like American Dad, the other three episodes were stronger (and I thought American Dad's second episode this year, The One that Got Away, was the really great one). But I kinda want Robot Chicken to win. Just because.

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Comedy Series

30 Rock • Gavin Volure • Steve Martin, as Gavin Volure
30 Rock • The Bubble • Jon Hamm, as Dr. Drew Baird
30 Rock • Mamma Mia • Alan Alda, as Milton Greene
Desperate Housewives • The Best Thing That Ever Could Have Happened • Beau Bridges, as Eli Boggs
Saturday Night Live • Host: Justin Timberlake • Justin Timberlake, as Various Characters

I would have loved Chris Pratt for being the best thng about Parks and Recreation in this category. Or anyone of those great guest stars from Chuck. I would love to see Steve Martin or Justin Timberlake to be awarded cause Steve Martin Martin was really funny and Justin Timberlake is actually a fantastic host on SNL every time he appears there (and by the way, Zac Efron was also a really good host this year). I wasn't enarmored with Jon Hamm on 30 Rock. I guess the jury loves Alan Alda too much to not let him win, though his second episode, Kidney Now, had better material for him than Mamma Mia.

Outstanding Guest Actress In A Comedy Series
30 Rock • The One With The Cast Of 'Night Court' • Jennifer Aniston, as Claire
30 Rock • Christmas Special • Elaine Stritch, as Colleen Donaghy
Monk • Mr. Monk And The Lady Next Door • Gena Rowlands, as Marge
My Name Is Earl • Witch Lady • Betty White, as Crazy Witch Lady
Saturday Night Live • Presidential Bash 2008 • Tina Fey, as Governor Sarah Palin (Spoof)
The Big Bang Theory • The Maternal Capacitance • Christine Baranski, as Beverly Hofstadter

Tina Fey in this category is epic and I think she even has a chance of winning since it was so much talked about last year. Didn't care for Jennifer Aniston. I actually can stand her, but her episode and the character sucked. The real upset is that Amy Ryan got overlooked for her fantastic guest arc on The Office. How the hell could that happen?

Outstanding Made For Television Movie
Coco Chanel • Lifetime
Grey Gardens • HBO
Into The Storm • HBO
Prayers For Bobby • Lifetime
Taking Chance • HBO

Grey Gardens will probably dominate in the movie categories, but I want either Prayers for Bobby or at least Sigourney Weaver for her work in it to win something.

Outstanding Main Title Design
Lie To Me • FOX
Storymakers • AMC
Taking Chance • HBO
True Blood • HBO
United States Of Tara • Showtime

Well, who doesn't love the Tru Blood-title design? Though I have to say that the titles are the best (only good?) thing about United States of Tara. By the way, I already want the Hung-titles to win next year.

Outstanding Special Class - Short-format Live-Action Entertainment Programs
30 Rock's Kenneth the Web Page • NBC.com
Battlestar Galactica: The Face Of The Enemy • SyFy.com
Bruce Springsteen Super Bowl Halftime Show • NBC
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog • drhorrible.com
The Daily Show: The Daily Show Correspondents On Jon Stewart • ComedyCentral.com

I don't even know what this category means and who is eligible for it, but hey - I'm all for Dr. Horrible winning everything it can. Don't lose to Bruce Springsteen!

Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series
Battlestar Galactica • Daybreak (Part 2)
Fringe • Pilot
Ghost Whisperer • Ghost In The Machine
Heroes • The Second Coming/The Butterfly Effect
Sanctuary • Sanctuary For All

Seriously? There wasn't a single Terminator-episode good enough for this category? Freaking GHOST WHISPERER has better effects? Damn.

Outstanding Stunt Coordination
24 • 5:00PM - 6:00PM
Burn Notice • Lesser Evil
Chuck • Chuck Versus The First Date
Criminal Minds • Normal
My Name Is Earl • Bullies

Yay, here's the one and only nomination for Chuck! I would have preferred that crazy fight in the car in Chuck vs. the Best Friend though.

Outstanding Voice-Over Performance

American Masters • Jerome Robbins: Something To Dance About • Ron Rifkin, as Narrator
Family Guy • I Dream of Jesus • Seth MacFarlane, as Peter Griffin
Robot Chicken • Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode II • Seth Green, as Anakin Skywalker/ Bob Goldstein/ Imperial Officer/ Ponda Baba/ Robot Chicken Nerd
The Simpsons • Eeny Teeny Maya, Moe • Hank Azaria, as Moe Syzlak
The Simpsons • The Burns And The Bees • Harry Shearer, as Kent Brockman/ Lenny/ Mr. Burns/ Smithers
The Simpsons • Father Knows Worst • Dan Castellaneta, as Homer Simpson

Huh? Is this a new category? Well, Seth Green all the way then. Though I have to admit, I actually appreciate Seth MacFarlane'S voice work on all his shows. But this will go to one of the Simpsons-guys and that's totally okay. Though I really don'T know why there only guys in this category in the first place.

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
Lost • The Incident • Carlton Cuse, Writer & Damon Lindelof, Writer
Mad Men • A Night To Remember • Robin Veith, Writer & Matthew Weiner, Writer
Mad Men • Six Month Leave • Andre Jacquemetton, Writer & Maria Jacquemetton, Writer & Matthew Weiner, Writer
Mad Men • The Jet Set • Matthew Weiner, Writer
Mad Men • Meditations In An Emergency • Kater Gordon, Writer & Matthew Weiner, Writer

I kinda have the feeling that Matthew Weiner could be the safest bet of the night... This category is ridiculous.

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series
30 Rock • Reunion
30 Rock • Apollo, Apollo
30 Rock • Mamma Mia
30 Rock • Kidney Now!
Flight Of The Conchords • Prime Minister

But this one is even worse. I love 30 Rock but come on - Mamma Mia and Kidney Now! weren't that great, I also don't get the hard-on the Academy has for Apollo, Apollo in several categories. Reunion was good, but if they wanted to nominate only 30 Rock why not the actual great episodes like Gavin Volure or Generalissimo. And overlooking their probably funniest and best episode to date yet, Believe In the Stars, just baffles me. But then, where are the other really great comedy episodes we had this year? This list should have been as follows:

30 Rock: Believe In The Stars
Better Off Ted: Racial Sensitivity
How I Met Your Mother: The Naked Man
The Office: Dream Team
Flight of the Conchords: Wingmen

And Racial Sensitivity should win it then.

raisinboy

The Destroyer
Reaction score
Yeah, well, I know nobody else but me cares, but: The nominations for 2010 came out today and the interesting thing about them is the category "Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series":

Chris Colfer (Glee)
Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother)
Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family)
Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family)
Ty Burrell (Modern Family)
Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men)

Three of them (the first three) are openly gay actors, and the fourth one got nominated for playing a gay character. That doesn't seem like much, but everyone who knows how many actors and actresses still won't come out of the closet because of their career will agree that this is a HUGE step. So, yay!

raisinboy

The Destroyer
Reaction score
I actually hate Kurt. Whiny manipulative little bitch. No offense to Chris Colfer though.

S

smallsleepyrascalcat

I don't hate him... I just share his taste ;)

And Chris Colfer is doing a very good job in this show.

raisinboy

The Destroyer
Reaction score
So, did you also wear sailor caps to school?

Most of them do a good job on the show. Except the writers.

JonnyFantastico

Super Vip
Reaction score
I'm pissed that Felicity Huffman wasn't nominated for her role on "Desperate Housewives"... I know a lot of you probably don't watch it, but trust me when I say this year, she was unbelievably amazing as Lynette. There was more than one episode where she actually caused me to cry; she was that moving. :heart:

And one of these damn days, I'm gonna watch "Glee". :))