• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Can a true "bisexual" relationship work?

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Why is this straight guy always Skyping you?

Here is a chance to pull back the curtain (excuse the theater pun) on how a relationship happens between a gay guy and a straight (well, turns out he was bi) guy. There's nothing like a personal story to shed some light on people who's experience is different from our own.

These guys are well known in New York theater, though they are not (yet) household names. Andy Mientus may look familiar if you watched the NBC show Smash.

Mientus.jpg

Andy Mientus

Michael Arden has been on The Good Wife and Anger Management as an actor and was nominated this morning for a Tony Award for directing the revival of Spring Awakening this past season on Broadway. (Congratulations!) I'll put more details on them at the end of the post if you are interested.

Michael%2BArden%2BPremiere%2BWalt%2BDisney%2BAnimation%2ByrEyAtVVfD8l.jpg

Michael Arden

But the point is their story. They met at a cast party for Micheal's first starring role on Broadway in the Bob Dylan musical The Times They Are A-Changin'. Andy was just in town fresh from college there to see a friend of a friend in the show and trying to get a girl to go out with him.

Love Rings OUT: Michael Arden & Andy Mientus

The Broadway couple discusses how their hearts are filled with two great loves: a love for their art and a love for each other.

Andy Mientus and Michael Arden have had a 10 year relationship that's traveled across the country, moved seamlessly on stage, and most significantly, transitioned from platonic to romantic. The Broadway stars—who recently collaborated on Deaf West's revival of Spring Awakening, in which Arden directed and Mientus played the gay, seductive Hanschen—flourish whether they are working on opposite coasts or are cuddled up together in a Manhattan theater. No matter where they are, Mientus and Arden's connection is testament to the possibility of being in love, while also loving your craft.

andy-michael-lead.jpg

Out: Let’s start with the obvious question. How’d you first meet?

Michael Arden: We met officially at the opening night party for a show I was starring in on Broadway called The Times Are a-Changin'.

Andy Mientus: I was there—and I was in college the time—because my roommate and best friend had left school to be the swing in the show.

Michael: Needless to say, the show was a huge flop. The best thing to come out of it was me and Andy.

What year was this?

Michael: 2006.

Take me through that first night.

Andy: I'd not had any kind of romantic situation with a boy. I was actually chasing a girl around the party that I wanted to ask out. I was looking forward to meeting Michael, but he was very busy—he was the star of the show and I was just with my friends being silly. I remember when we were leaving Michael flagged me down. We both said hey and I have a very vivd memory of that moment. Even if I didn’t know we were going to end up together and get married, I could tell that this was a person who would be significant in my life.

Michael: It was all very proper. I remember we shook hands and nodded. I thought he was very cute, but it wasn’t on the table and I was dealing with a musical that just opened. So it wasn’t on my mind, but I remember the exact moment.

So what was the process like from this formal meeting to dating?

Michael: We both led separate lives and I had another long-term relationship and so did he, but we were friends through all of that. We both found each other again in person when I was doing Pippin for Deaf West in Los Angeles and Andy was in the first national tour of Spring Awakening. We were basically across a hallway from one another...

Some of the Spring Awakening cast came into watch a run-through of Pippin one day and we reconnected then. But then Andy was on tour and I was in L.A. We saw each other once in a while when I was in New York shooting something. We’d meet up and go walk in Central Park. Our friendship grew that way and our corresponding started to increase exponentially. We began Skyping a lot.

Andy: And we were both single.

Michael: Yes, he had just broken up with his girlfriend and I had just broken up with my boyfriend. We were talking a lot and I didn’t think much of it, but my friends were all like, "Why is this straight guy always Skyping you? That’s weird." I was like, "Oh, he’s my friend." Then one day I remember Andy texted me something like…

Andy: “I think I like you.”

Michael: Yeah, and I said, “I think I like you too.” And he was like, “No, I think I want to kiss you.” I remember dropping my phone into the toilet kind of thing and saying, “Oh my god, this is real. Do you realize what you mean by that? Are you sure you mean that?” I didn’t want to be disrespectful. I was in L.A. and he was in New York, but I was coming there because I was asked to present an award at the NYMF Gala. Once I got there they said I’d be giving this award to an actor named Andy Mientus. I was like, You have to be kidding me.

Andy: It was really the best way to set up a relationship.

Michael: Yeah, it set up a nice dynamic for us. So we met at the ceremony and it was very awkward. We were used to being buddies. We were pretending to be these platonic friends in person and then texting each other under the table. Things like, “I’m sorry I’m so awkward right now.” A few drinks into the evening we loosened up a bit, and after a long conversation, shared our first kiss. We’ve been together ever since.

It's refreshing to hear that you two were solid friends before you became romantically involved.

Andy: We talked a lot about how it really set us on the right foot because we got to skip that part where you try to be the best version of yourself toward the person you want to impress. We both already knew each other’s craziness and each other’s insecurities, all the stuff you typically hide when you first start dating.

Andy, was your relationship with Michael a sort of impetuous to come out?

Andy: Definitely. I feel like I had a unique situation growing up, a unique bisexual experience. There’s a common story in which kids experiment and then they’re confused and then they choose one side or another or don’t. There’s a lot of experimentation back and forth in the formative years.

I honestly never had that. Not because I didn’t want to—I grew up in a very supportive household—I was just a late bloomer. I was not a sexualized young person. I’m still super into video games and nerdy things. But I wasn’t trying to date until I was a little older, and then all of my formative romantic experiences were with girls. I never pined for any of my male friends.

There were times when I recognized I was attracted to guys at school or guys in the media, but I honestly thought I was just kind of progressive and cool. I think it’s a fine line between desire and envy. Do I want that guy or do I want to be that guy? It’s hard for some people to know the difference.

After meeting Michael, I didn’t have any doubt about it. I didn’t tell everyone on day one just in case it didn’t take, just in case I tried it out and it wasn’t for me or it wasn’t a match. I think there is a double standard for bisexual men. That was just for a second though. I didn’t want to have a proper coming out because I didn’t feel like there was anything to announce. I was just dating Michael now. That’s what I told people without any context or greater reading. The big deal for me wasn’t that Michael was a man, but that he was awesome.

Unlike so many other coming out experiences, yours was a smooth progression. What then made you decide to get married?

Andy: We were going through some big life events. We were reassessing and reevaluating everything. I thought it would be really valuable to have a concrete, new family identity to grab onto. To get married was a tangible expression of that. Also, at the time, we were doing a major bout of long distance. I had one day off a week and I was flying to L.A. for just one day a lot. So it seemed like a good time to reaffirm how important and permanent this relationship was.

Michael: It’s a very traditional thing, but it felt really right because I just wanted to lock it in—we were seeing each other so rarely. It was the kind of thing that once it was actually done I realized how important it was.

More information on Andy and Michael

Michael Arden is a Julliard-trained actor with a phenomenal singing voice. He joined the experimental Deaf West Theater company in Los Angeles. He played Tom Sawyer in their revival of the musical Big River which transferred to Broadway in 2003. He was back in 2006 in Twyla Tharp's dance-jukebox Bob Dylan musical The Times They Are A-Changin' (which flopped, unfortunately). His greatest role, however, has not yet come to New York: Quasimodo in Hunchback of Notre Dame. (The studio recording was released a couple of months ago.) Look for it in the next couple of years.

He has recently taken up directing and now has a Tony Award nomination for this year's revival of Spring Awakening.

Michael Arden from his cabaret show covering Joni Mitchell's landmark Blue album.

Andy Mientus made enough of an impression in the national touring company of Spring Awakening that he was brought on the second season of NBC's Smash as young composer Kyle Bishop teaming with Jeremy Jordan. He made his Broadway debut in the revival of Les Miserables in 2013 and then came back in the revival of Spring Awakening this past season, again in the role of the young gay student, Hanschen.

Andy Mientus interviewed on Broadway.com about Les Miserables, Smash and more

Last edited:

SexyGay

Reaction score
Yes, it can, provided that the female partner never knows.

larzo

Reaction score
" Can a true "bisexual" relationship work? "
Yes, of course it can. I'm surprised that a post based on such a ridiculous question can keep going for 3 years and garner 140 + replies. Does anyone actually doubt that with 7.4 billion people on this planet there are MMF, MFF, and MMFF relationships out there in which all involved wholeheartedly think it works?

I have no doubt it is rare and that the odds are stacked against it, but the question wasn't about that....my question in response is: Why the "all or none" / "either - or" thinking?

R

Ralph69

Yes a bisexual relationship can work, but definitely, not :no: for me, I must say, at the end "The Winner Takes It All " ;)

Reaction score
Inever got the point if a guy likes a guy, how can he fuck with a pussy?

duke10inchjh

Reaction score
yes and no I've had one that worked for a long time and another one that was shit

devmumbai

Reaction score
i am married.. and bisexual... discreet.
I think it is very difficult... the feeling tear you apart
you have to clear strong and firm to have a relationship with a guy and gal

junk4sts

Reaction score
Honestly, they only way I think it could work openly is if all parties are involved and know about one another. I've always kind of thought that all parties in a bi relationship would have to be bi for that relationship to work.

To me that means that a true bi relationship would have to have 4 people, 2 men and 2 women who are all into each other and want to take their thing to a sexual level. With 4 people no one person is the "king" or "queen" and everyone is equally involved and can get what they want when they want it.

In reality, I think it's VERY possible for one person to find both men and women sexually interesting, but a relationship that plays to wanting to have both sexes would just be too complicated, and would eventually fail.

I think we each want someone (emphasis on "one") to call our own, so having one of each likely leaves someone wanting more than they can get from the bi person.

Reaction score
quite doubted if there is relay bisexual that can keep a balance between sexes.

shannon

Reaction score
no just make up your mind. just be gay hell fire, don't confuse something that's simple

travlnman

Reaction score
It's just sex!

I think usually either the man or the women gets way too possessive and insecure when there is a third party involved. Two of my three wives (don't judge me yet) were into women but the relationships always ended bad due to insecurities and poor communication from my wives. I didn't give a sh*t about that...I was just trying to spice things up to get off any way I could. I think I'm a big cuckhold actually!

Nephlim14

Reaction score
Probably if the partners considered a level of openness in their relationship.