• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

A helping hand or a cry for help?

frogger

Reaction score
So, I've been fascinated by men since I was a young age. Being born and growing up in a very strict Asian family, I am still keeping my true identity to myself. Mind you guys, I am 33 years old, have a steady job that pays pretty well and have been living on my own.

The thing is, I don't have the courage to come out to anyone, not even to my closest friends. I had dated a few women just to show to my family and friends that I am 'straight'. Well, I'm asking you guys now for guidance on how to express or letting myself out freely. I aint gonna lie, I do feel envious to people who can show their true selves out in public.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Happy almost weekend and stay safe!

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
A good place for you to start is, I think, by reading your way through the topic called "When and how was your "Coming Out", it's third item down in the 'sticky' section of General Discussion.
There are hundreds of personal stories here, Which will take a long time to read but you will see that everyone is different. Some have an easy time, others face problems. Maybe something will give you some ideas you can relate to, please feel free to discuss anything that arises.
Your happiness matters, you deserve it just as much as anyone else.

topdog

Super Vip
Reaction score
Also look at the How to Come Out thread that is just a bit below the one dargelos mentioned.

Situations are so different - varied cultures, locations, and families - that there is no "one size fits all" answer here. This is something you have to decide for yourself. However, two things are always true:

1. The longer you remain in hiding - either from everyone or from some close friends or family - the smaller and more restricted your emotional life will be.
  2. There will always be a cost for defying people's expectations and coming out. You have to make peace with the fact that some people will turn away, dismiss you, or in the worst case try to hurt you.
The good news is that as more LGBT people speak up and are open, the more the costs have come down. In some places they have dropped dramatically. But remember the two points above - there is a cost to coming out, but there is also a huge price to pay for staying in the closet. You cannot hack off a major part of your personality without doing damage - both to yourself and to the people who care about you. Essentially, you are lying to them. And when you do come out, you are going to have to reconcile the truth with all the cover-ups you employed to keep them away from the truth.

If you think you want to come out these are some things to get you ready.

• Your safety has to be the top concern. If you think you might be subject to physical violence, or your livelihood taken away, or put into prison - take all necessary precautions. Just because I can march in a Pride Parade waving a rainbow flag doesn't mean that is the right move for you. Be smart - but even opening up to one other person you trust can be a huge weight off your shoulders.
  • Start with that one person - a close friend or a sibling - that you think will be supportive. The first person is the hardest - it's a bridge you've never crossed before. It will take courage, but cracking that closet door for the first time is the only way out.
  • Once you have told one person and they have embraced you, you now have an ally. You are no longer alone. As you pick someone else to tell you will be collecting a group of people who are in your corner and will the there to back you up. As you go on it will become less important that the people you tell accept you, because you will have your support network behind you. You can survive a rejection or bad reaction because you are no longer alone.
And so it goes. The biggest hurdle will often be telling your parents. Gather a few allies before you cross that particular bridge.

However, know that the coming out process never ends. Most people will assume you are straight, so there will be a never-ending stream of people to tip off that they are talking to a queer person. It simply becomes part of your life - dispelling these wrong assumptions.

Take one step at a time. Assess your situation and plan how you are going to get to the point of telling the first person. What a day of independence that will be!

frogger

Reaction score
hey @dargelos, yes, I have been reading many from this forum. It does helped but I still don't have the courage to come out yet. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to finally be free? Or, just to have the guts to say finally say, I'm gay?

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Hi Frogger - your question how long it take to one to finally feel free no one here truly can answer. At first it is YOU who must feel free to say and to admit to yourself that you are GAY! For many guys it will be a shock at first and they try to hide their feelings with respect to the people around them. Many really will act very homophobic or self-defeating.

But if you have got things straigthened out with yourself you need a good friend whom you can trust totally or, if you have, siblings and most of all your parents. If all these possibilities will not bite it will be a hard fight. You should try to find help in an LGBTQ-Center. I hope so much such centers will be too in your country.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
Dear frogger, as you ask, I was one of the slower ones, taking until age 25. Working in a dog-rough town like Hartlepool, it was safer not to do anything that would attract attention. There was never a point at which I worried about being sinful or wicked or not a real man, only the lack of any idea about how to be gay in a place filled with hatred.
Spending less time in that dump and more time in a city that had some, not much, but some visible gay life made all the difference. What I longed for was some kind of role model, a man who was a type of man that I could aspire towards.
I never found him, it turned out to be easier to just be myself, with my faults and all. At school you are told to aim high but aim too high and you might never reach your target. Good enough is good enough.

frogger

Reaction score
UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

I finally did it last night! I came out to two of my best mates, and one of them is already out and proud. We had a chill night with wine, and there was something in me that keep telling me that I had just to tell them.

Thank you, GH Family for giving me the courage to do it. You might think that it is nothing but it has helped me greatly. Can't lie, I feel like the heaviest part on my body has been lifted.

In case you guys are wondering how the reacted, they were, 'oh, we already know it all along. we're just waiting for you to admit it yourself and let yourself be free.' and the we hugged.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you thank you thank you!
@dargelos, @topdog & @shelter

frogger

Reaction score
thank you so much for your kind words, I finally did it last night and told the closest ones the real me.

thank you! :heart:

Dear frogger, as you ask, I was one of the slower ones, taking until age 25. Working in a dog-rough town like Hartlepool, it was safer not to do anything that would attract attention. There was never a point at which I worried about being sinful or wicked or not a real man, only the lack of any idea about how to be gay in a place filled with hatred.
Spending less time in that dump and more time in a city that had some, not much, but some visible gay life made all the difference. What I longed for was some kind of role model, a man who was a type of man that I could aspire towards.
I never found him, it turned out to be easier to just be myself, with my faults and all. At school you are told to aim high but aim too high and you might never reach your target. Good enough is good enough.

frogger

Reaction score
Hey Shelter,

I finally did it last night! I'm not a gay man in hiding anymore, I can truly expresses how I feel in front of my closest friends now.

They are so much supportive and apparently already knew all along. I just want to use this opportunity to say thank you so much for your kind words.

:heart::heart:

Hi Frogger - your question how long it take to one to finally feel free no one here truly can answer. At first it is YOU who must feel free to say and to admit to yourself that you are GAY! For many guys it will be a shock at first and they try to hide their feelings with respect to the people around them. Many really will act very homophobic or self-defeating.

But if you have got things straigthened out with yourself you need a good friend whom you can trust totally or, if you have, siblings and most of all your parents. If all these possibilities will not bite it will be a hard fight. You should try to find help in an LGBTQ-Center. I hope so much such centers will be too in your country.

frogger

Reaction score
Hey topdog,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I had to read it repeatedly so that I can have the courage to do what you said.

But, I finally did it and came out to my closest friends. I am glad to have found my way to GH. You guys are the best!!

:heart::heart:

Also look at the How to Come Out thread that is just a bit below the one dargelos mentioned.

Situations are so different - varied cultures, locations, and families - that there is no "one size fits all" answer here. This is something you have to decide for yourself. However, two things are always true:

1. The longer you remain in hiding - either from everyone or from some close friends or family - the smaller and more restricted your emotional life will be.
  2. There will always be a cost for defying people's expectations and coming out. You have to make peace with the fact that some people will turn away, dismiss you, or in the worst case try to hurt you.
The good news is that as more LGBT people speak up and are open, the more the costs have come down. In some places they have dropped dramatically. But remember the two points above - there is a cost to coming out, but there is also a huge price to pay for staying in the closet. You cannot hack off a major part of your personality without doing damage - both to yourself and to the people who care about you. Essentially, you are lying to them. And when you do come out, you are going to have to reconcile the truth with all the cover-ups you employed to keep them away from the truth.

If you think you want to come out these are some things to get you ready.

• Your safety has to be the top concern. If you think you might be subject to physical violence, or your livelihood taken away, or put into prison - take all necessary precautions. Just because I can march in a Pride Parade waving a rainbow flag doesn't mean that is the right move for you. Be smart - but even opening up to one other person you trust can be a huge weight off your shoulders.
  • Start with that one person - a close friend or a sibling - that you think will be supportive. The first person is the hardest - it's a bridge you've never crossed before. It will take courage, but cracking that closet door for the first time is the only way out.
  • Once you have told one person and they have embraced you, you now have an ally. You are no longer alone. As you pick someone else to tell you will be collecting a group of people who are in your corner and will the there to back you up. As you go on it will become less important that the people you tell accept you, because you will have your support network behind you. You can survive a rejection or bad reaction because you are no longer alone.
And so it goes. The biggest hurdle will often be telling your parents. Gather a few allies before you cross that particular bridge.

However, know that the coming out process never ends. Most people will assume you are straight, so there will be a never-ending stream of people to tip off that they are talking to a queer person. It simply becomes part of your life - dispelling these wrong assumptions.

Take one step at a time. Assess your situation and plan how you are going to get to the point of telling the first person. What a day of independence that will be!

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us all know the good news. It really is good news, the best news when there is so much of the other sort.
I want to thank you for making me feel happy.
There is so much to look forward to, enjoy it all. And be proud of yourself.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Hi Frogger,

this was the best news I've got in a very long time. Let me hug you (in Corona-times forbidden in real - but here I will do it!!! -:) )

You have done the first step - and you know every long journey will start with the first step! Now you have to go your way - and you will find many big stones on this way. But this first step was the hardest ever and it will give you the strength you need to throw all these other stones out of your way! All my love to you!

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Hello frogger!!! :)

Congratulations to your happy coming out!!! :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

It seems you've just had the same experience concerning GH that I had many, many years ago - that this is a wonderful place where you will find friends who care about you!!! :big hug:

ILuv2rim

Reaction score
1--tell family closest members only and be ready as some will accept you who you are and others wont--my parents accept me but my brothers dont--they never said its wrong or anything but they can say is watch me close all queers are child molesters and thats not true--statistics show more kids are molested by opposite sex--its just the few gay one brands it as a gay thing

your friends--tell your best friend or friends if they are cool with it then so be it-some may already think youre gay and just waiting for you to come out

all i ever worried about was my parents anyone else that dont like me being a gay man thats their problem--you will lose friends but will gain new ones but you cant go through life in the closet and not be able to spread your wings and let the world know who you are--not what you are