• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Classical music [Youtube Clips]

jjjack

Reaction score
Tallis, Recorder enemble

Thanks for the Tallis and Vaughan-Williams.

Did anyone else enjoy the portrayal of Thomas Tallis in The Tudors, the four-season series on Showtime? It was probably apocryphal in fifty different ways, but still, I appreciated the attention bestowed on his phenomenal prowess. Joe Van Moyland played the part.

In one scene, after everyone freaks out over an outbreak of the “sweating sickness,” Henry VIII and his estranged first queen, Catherine of Aragon, are sitting together at a mass of thanksgiving for having been spared. At one point, Tallis’s music becomes so intensely imploring and beautiful that Henry gently takes Catherine’s hand. It’s very moving because we are led to believe that they haven't been intimate with each other for quite some time due to Henry’s courtship of Ann Boleyn. I could identify with that kind of power in Tallis’s music. The profound fear of plague also seemed very realistic when Henry and Ann first discover they are both survivors. A very well-acted embrace, I thought. The series broaches Tallis’s supposed bi-sexuality. I don’t mind such speculations because so many composers actually were gay.

Below is a heartfelt amateur performance (only one I could find) of Tallis’s “Blessed Are Those That Be Undefiled.” Somehow the composer survived the wrenchingly violent English Reformation, so he wrote equally well in both Latin and English. This is one of the English anthems featured in a Tallis Scholars CD but played here by an ensemble of recorders. Three-quarters of the way through, the anthem breaks into the Gloria Patri (the sung version of that is also in English), one of the best and most elaborate I’ve ever heard:

Someday I’ll try to post the Tallis Scholars version on YouTube. Everything they do seems like heavenly perfection.

The only extant portrait of Tallis, btw, was painted 150 years posthumously, so it is entirely based on imagination. Tallis composed and performed for Henry VIII only towards the end of Henry’s reign so the scene of Henry and Catherine listening together at the Chapel Royal was concocted for dramatic purposes. Even Ann Boleyn had been dead for at least 7 years when Tallis arrived at Henry VIII’s court. Henry himself died 4 years after Tallis’s arrival. Tallis also composed and performed for Edward VI, Bloody Mary, and Elizabeth I. The composer lived to be 80. Average life expectancy in 16h-c. England was approx. 35.

Btw, the term “undefiled” could be quite incendiary these days. Fundies might appropriate the term for one of their witch hunts. But I consider their tendency to focus on so-called sexual excesses to be totally misguided and reductive---mostly an all too convenient way to shift focus away from humanity’s real behavioral deficiencies, which are fairly massive. Sometimes it’s hard to reconcile modern and historical sensibilities. Either way, so much ancient art remains sublime, edifying and elevating.

Last edited:

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score

Arguably his greatest work, majestic and magnificent....

For those new to it the piece was written for eight choirs of five voices (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone and bass). It begins with a single voice from the first choir, with other voices joining in imitation, each in turn falling silent as the music moves around the eight choirs. All forty voices enter simultaneously for a few bars, and then the pattern of the opening is reversed with the music passing from choir eight to choir one. There is another brief full section, after which the choirs sing in pairs. Finally all voices join for the culmination of the work.... simply gorgeous!

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
Beethoven

PRO ARTE ANTIQUA PRAGUE, Sym 7 for string quintet
IV

II

Sym 2 Version for Piano-Trio, Robert Levin

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
JSB and CPE Bach parodies

From

over

to

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
JC Bach and WA Mozart

- teacher and pupil -

JC Bach, La clemencia di Scipione, "Infelice, in van m'affanno"

Mozart, Die Entführung aus dem Serial, "Martern aller Artern"

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
Handel, Ariodante

Scherza infida in grembo al drudo.
Io tradito a morte in braccio,
per tua colpa ora men vò.
Ma a spezzar l’indegno laccio,
ombra msta, e spirto ignudo,
per tua pena io tornerò.

Laugh, faithless woman, in your lover’s arms.
By your fault I find myself
betrayed, approaching death.
But I shall return, a sad shade
and naked spirit to torment you
and to break this base liaison.

Il mio crudel martoro

loretta

Reaction score
so sad

last week, a friend died

Last edited:

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
My condolences, loretta.

I've lost a friend four weeks ago too, we saw each other occasionally. He was a big operafan and 15 years ago before the internet he let me copy all the candies from his collection on cd, including that Ariodante that I posted today.

So in us they shall live on. :)

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
remembering 300 years of Christoph Willibald Gluck
* 2nd July 1714

outsfguy

Reaction score
Another Michael Hayden Requiem Video

Hoi guys.

I'm ihno and I am new. :) ;P

Seems there are some threads on music but none on classical music. So, who likes it? You can't all listen solely to Madonna. :D

I listen to it a lot, like symphonical and choral music from Purcell to Elgar, with some exceptions.

This is one of my faves, the Requiem from Michael Haydn, which at first resembles of Mozart's (later) Requiem, Joseph's Stabat Mater and Pergolesi.

Do you have any faves?

This performance is quite good. Sometimes the camera moves correspond to the music in very beautiful ways. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

warp9

Super Vip
Reaction score
2CELLOS - Thunderstruck

Classical ? In a way ... ;)

iltman

Reaction score
for those of you outside the UK the summer proms concerts are currently ongoing here and the BBC is showcasing some of the concerts. Last night they showed a workshop performance by Sir Roger Norrington with the Zurich Chamber Orchestra of Bachs St Mathew Passion which was quite mesmerising. its now availible on the BBC iplayer app to watch and I would highly recommend it and the other performances

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma 1994 (High Quality With Lyrics)

primera9

Reaction score
Vaughan Williams - Fantasy on a Theme of Thomas Tallis

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score

I don't believe it that we will see a cease fire today but the people would need it.

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score

Last month we lost another great musician. Frans Brüggen died three weeks ago August 13 2014

primera9

Reaction score
Just bought the CD of Carter Burwell's score for 'And The Band Played On' having only heard it again recently. Well worth listening to and a poignant score for the TV programme about Aids.