• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

How bad would it be if Holmes & Watson were gay?

puako_alam

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
sp32-20090507-070853.jpeg

I am pretty sure someone at Warner Bros. is ready to have Robert Downey Jr.'s head served on a silver plate to him. Downey suggested that Holmes was really a 'butch homosexual' and that there was more going on between Holmes & Watson than just a deep friendship.
Apparently, suggesting that a fictional character could be anything else than a morally sound heterosexual is still very, very bad.
Bad enough in fact that the current US rights holder for the Holmes- oeuvre has threatened to withdraw permission to make any sequels if a relationship of a homosexual nature between the two is as much as hinted at.
Of course, Andrea Plunket, the rights holder, points out that this is not about homophobia but about preserving the original stories.

PS: According to Wikipedia, when Watson (from whose POV the Holmes novels are told) is wounded, he notices this about the reaction of his friend: "It was worth a wound; it was worth many wounds; to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation."
It should be noted, of course, that in the 19th century the current definition of gay did not exist and friendships between males were often defined by words that today would suggest what we consider a gay relationship. The only one who KNOWS what was going on between Holmes and Watson, however, would be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Thoughts?

ipso

Reaction score
Well it is only a joke. I did not see the film, but if there is tension between the two characters, than it is bad. Not because of it would be immoral (heh), but it would be, as they say, "out of character".

Last week I heard the same rumor, that Watson and Holmes was "totally gay". But it is not true, Watson got love and married in the novel "Four oranges", when he was searching a crime with Holmes.

And also: if Conan Doyle would really write about homosexuality in the Victorian era, he would be banned and forgot forever. The mere fact, that there is a Hollywood movie about Holmes, proves that Conan Doyle's readers didn't see gay his characters at all.

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
Uh...I always thought they were gay...

While I haven't seen the movie yet, I have seen several snippets from it, and quite frankly, the interaction between Downey and Law remind me quite a bit of some gay couples I know...

I

iFairylicious

As a way to help you dear Wikipedia isn't the best site source....maybe to find other sources but not good to quote from because it is a public operated site. Can butcher and make up stuff on anything that isn't true for shits and giggles. Maybe for little tid bits of info but not a full on good site for a source media :)

ipso

Reaction score
Well I protest. Wikipedia has an awesome large database about who is gay :) Guess it is interesting for people.