• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

No, Obama Didn’t ‘Negotiate With Terrorists’ to Bring Bergdahl Home

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
MEGHAN FOLEY - WALL STREET CHEAT SHEET June 4 2014

Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Martin Dempsey, announced Tuesday that the Army may still pursue an investigation into whether recently rescued Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl deserted, confirming that a number of questions surround his capture by the Taliban in mountains of Afghanistan in 2009. Depending on the results of the inquiry, charges may even be filed.

The events that led to the return of America’s only prisoner of war have spawned even more questions from critics of President Barack Obama, lawmakers, and the intelligence community, meaning Bergdahl’s return has been highly politicized and will likely become fodder for debate ahead of this year’s midterm elections. The criticism that has been dumped on the White House for releasing five high-ranking Taliban detainees from the U.S. prison camp in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba in exchange for Bergdahl has put President Barack Obama on the defensive. The problem is that many — including former members of the soldier’s platoon — believe Bergdahl did not deserve special treatment, given the persistence of allegations that he deserted his combat post. The fact that the president did not notify Congress in advance, as required by law, has only added to the controversy.

“The United States has always had a pretty sacred rule, and that is: we don’t leave our men or women in uniform behind,” Obama told reporters in Warsaw, the first stop on his four-day European trip. Noting that Bergdahl had been in captivity for more than five years, the president explained that the released POW had not been “interrogated” regarding the specifics of his capture by the Taliban. “Regardless of circumstances, whatever those circumstances may turn out to be, we still get an American prisoner back,” he said. “Period. Full stop. We don’t condition that.” He also noted that the White House had been consulting with Congress “for quite some time about the possibility that we might need to execute a prisoner exchange in order to recover Sergeant Bergdahl.” In other words, he was suggesting that lawmakers like California Senator Dianne Feinstein should not be outraged that the White House took this opportunity to make the transfer.

Additionally, White House National Security Council spokesperson Caitlin Hayden told The New York Times that Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel had not only approved the exchange, but agreed that the 30-day notice should not apply in the case of Bergdahl. “The administration determined that the notification requirement should be construed not to apply to this unique set of circumstances,” she said, because Hagel had “determined that providing notice as specified in the statute could endanger the soldier’s life.” Hayden added that the notice requirement would have interfered “with the executive’s performance” of primary duties set out in the Constitution: protecting American lives abroad and protecting American soldiers. “We believe it is fair to conclude that Congress did not intend that the administration would be barred from taking the action it did in these circumstances,” she said.

So what is driving the outrage?

Given there are no other American prisoners of war held by the Taliban, meaning this trade was a one-time event, it may seem that the transfer of Bergdahl been drawn too much criticism.

Republicans have even labeled the president’s action as “negotiating with terrorists,” referring to a Bush-era political maxim. “It has long been America’s unwavering, bipartisan policy not to negotiate with terrorists, especially for the exchange of hostages,” argued George W. Bush’s former U.N. Ambassador, John Bolton. “By trading to release hostages, we are invariably putting a price on the heads of other Americans.” Florida Senator Marco Rubio agreed, warning that the exchange could “encourage future terrorist kidnappings of Americans.”

Of course, there is the historical precedent to consider. Jimmy Carter’s administration conducted intricate negotiations with the Iranian government to secure the release of the dozens of Americans taken hostage in Tehran in 1979. At the time, Carter described the Iranians as terrorists. The hostages were eventually freed when the United States agreed to unfreeze about $11 billion in Iranian assets. Ronald Reagan made trades with the Iranians as well, secretly exchanging arms for for the release of Americans held in Lebanon. (Although, it should be noted that Bolton condemned that transaction, which is known as the Iran-Contra Affair.) Even Bill Clinton met with Gerry Adams, the leader of the political wing of the Irish Republican Army who was then on the State Department’s terror list, while George W. Bush made deals with Sunni insurgents during the Iraq War, insurgents that had been killing American soldiers.

Still, Washington does have reason to be wary of rewarding hostage takers; al Qaeda has earned millions of dollars from ransoms paid by Western countries. And, as Rubio noted, the logic is not hard to follow: pay randoms for hostages encourages enemies of the U.S. to repeat the behavior. Confirming that is a May 2012 letter sent from Naser Abdel-Karim Wahishi, leader of an al Qaeda affiliate, to leaders of an allied group in North Africa. “Kidnapping hostages is an easy spoil, which I may describe as a profitable trade and a precious treasure,” read the document, discovered by The Associated Press.

But Obama has claimed that Bergdahl was not a hostage grabbed by terrorists. Rather, he fits the classic definition of a prisoner of war, and the exchange of prisoners has occurred in many U.S. conflicts dating back to the Revolutionary War. In an interview on NBC’s Meet the Press, Hagel made the same argument. “We didn’t negotiate with terrorists,” he said. “As I said and explained before, Sergeant Bergdahl was a prisoner of war. That’s a normal process in getting your prisoners back.”

The Taliban is not considered to be a “terrorist” enemy. It is not on the State Department’s list of terrorist organizations. While it may sympathize with terrorists like Khalid Sheikh Mohammad — a militant held in Guantánamo who was “identified as the principal architect of the 9/11 attacks” by the official government report — experts believe the Taliban is not currently plotting any acts of terrorism. The same can be said of the detainees released in exchange for Bergdahl. But because a number of those Taliban officials are said to have been linked to Osama bin Laden and his al Qaeda terrorist network, Republicans have expressed concern for what their release means for U.S. national security. “These are the highest high-risk people. Others that we have released have gone back into the fight,” Arizona Senator John McCain, who was a prisoner of war in Vietnam, said in a May 31 statement. The concern expressed by McCain and his colleagues is not without reason. A senior Afghan intelligence official told Reuters that the released detainees “will be very dangerous people, because they have connections with regional and international terror organizations around the world.”

Obama has addressed that worry. “We will be keeping eyes on them,” he told reporters on Tuesday. “Is there the possibility of some of them trying to return to activities that are detrimental to us? Absolutely. That’s been true of all the prisoners who have been released from Guantánamo. There is a certain recidivism that takes place. I wouldn’t be doing it if I thought it would be contrary to American national security.” But for Republicans, his comments were not a strict assurance that those Taliban leaders would not return to the fight against the West.

Some GOP leaders have postulated that the exchange of those prisoners is a first step toward emptying Guantánamo. Obama promised in his 2014 State of the Union address that the prison would be shuttered by year’s end. “This whole deal may have been a test to see how far the administration can actually push it, and if Congress doesn’t fight back they will feel more empowered to move forward with additional transfers,” a senior GOP senate aide told The Daily Beast. “They’ve lined up all the dominoes to be able to move a lot more detainees out of Guantánamo and this could be just the beginning.”

The prisoner exchange also comes at an important point in the Afghanistan war timeline; the deal was revealed Saturday, only three days after President Obama announced that U.S. combat troops would be completely out of Afghanistan by 2016 — just before he leaves office. By the end of this year, the U.S. presence in the country will be reduced from the 32,800 troops to just 9,800, and the combat mission will be effectively over. “As I said earlier this week, we’re committed to winding down the war in Afghanistan, and we are committed to closing Gitmo,” the president said in a May 31 statement. “But we also made an ironclad commitment to bring our prisoners of war home. That’s who we are as Americans. It’s a profound obligation within our military, and today, at least in this instance, it’s a promise we’ve been able to keep.”

Obama’s statement on Afghanistan also served as backdrop for his Wednesday commencement speech at West Point, where he touted his limited foreign policy agenda for his final years in office. He told cadets graduating from the United States Military Academy that, “America must always lead on the world stage.” But the military cannot “be the only — or even primary — component of our leadership in every instance,” Obama said. “Just because we have the best hammer does not mean that every problem is a nail.” Those words reiterated the themes that have been running throughout his presidency.

In his speech, he further fleshed out what has come to be known as the Obama doctrine, stressing that the United States must focus on using soft-power diplomacy and fighting terrorism through international partnerships. Essentially, his intention is to establish middle way between the interventionism of the past decades and a growing tendency toward isolationism. Following a middle way, the United States will eschew unilateral military force, unless its “people are threatened, its livelihood is at stake, or allies are in danger,” he said, leaving the threshold for military action much higher.

That plan has drawn criticism from the conservative lawmakers and pundits who have highlighted recent diplomatic setbacks in both Syria and Ukraine, conflicts that the United States has largely refrained from taking a dominate role. The Republican criticism of the methods the Obama administration used to bring Bergdahl home — negotiating with terrorists — matches their criticism of the president’s foreign policy. Both the so-called Obama doctrine and prisoner exchange put the United States in a less dominant role. But while it can be argued that the transfer was an exhibition of soft power, it is equally true that it succeeded in in releasing an American prisoner of war. If the released detainees — who are required to remain in the gulf country of Qatar — do not pose a threat to National Security as the White House and some political experts maintain, the question is whether Republican lawmakers are over exaggerating their concerns for political purposes.

It will take time for that question to be answered. Undoubtedly, politicians will long debate the particulars of the deal, including whether it was right to trade five prisoners for just one soldier facing allegations of desertion. By comparison, the debate over whether the president negotiated with terrorists should be put to rest.

We all know the CIA and others are making deals with the Talliban and Al Qaida or else there would not have been a prisoner exchange. One weasel of an American soldier in exchange for FIVE Al Qaida lieutenants? Really? Does anyone believe that was all the CIA got out of the deal? One American weasel? C'mon...

I'm just wondering which country is the target of the deal? I bet the CIA agreed to a deal to release Taliban prisoners in payment for a Taliban/Al Qaida action to destabilize and in general make trouble for some country the CIA thinks needs a shake up. Is the target Russia? I would not be surprised. China? Maybe? North Korea? Possibly.

Wait a minute Putin is creating an Axis of Evil in Asia: Russia/China/North Korea = Germany/Japan/Italy

Hmmm

Last edited:

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
Watching Fox Noise turn and attack this guy and his father in what I can only describe as a racist way, is disgusting.

I saw one of the fox News Assholes actually have a go at the man for having a beard because "it makes him look Muslim". They really have decided that all Muslims are terrorist on that propaganda station.

I'd like to think this kind of thing will turn every right-thinking American's stomach and expose Fox Noise for what they are, but alas, they seem to actually 'inform' some people.

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
All religions are dangerous. I don't subscribe to any of them. It's bad for the 'soul' ;)

Here in America we have a minority of narrow minded so-called Christians but society as a whole is pretty much a heaving mass of corruption and 'God-less' heathens.

Most Christian churches are full of hypocrites who go to church for the status of it rather than any true belief in it's teachings. Some are worse than others. Westboro Baptist Church and others like it come to mind, lol.

The Church of Latter Day Saints (Morons, I mean Mormons) belongs in a class of it's own. Like Scientology it has some pretty funny tenets at it's core.

Orthodox Judaism and Catholicism are more examples of 'Faith gone bad'.

BUT none of those compare to the totalitarian regime known as Islam.

Islam is the most dangerous of all the major world religions. It has proven it over and over. Since it's beginnings. Like all religions it is based on silly and childish notions.

I loved Joseph Campbell's take on religion and philosophy. I should start a religion that follows the tenets of Joseph Campbell. I"m only half joking, lol.

I for one am thankful I was born into and raised in a country that is predominately Christian. As bad as that is it's infinitely more desirable IMHO.

I'm afraid of the 'EXTREME' Muslims too.

Last edited:

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score

I'm afraid of the Muslims too.

I hit thanks on that post - but it was before I got down to the Islamaphobia in the bottom half of the post - there is no button to retract a thanks, so I just want to make clear I do not agree with it.

If you're afraid of Muslims, go meet some, what you'll find is that they're lovely people just like anyone else.

Sadly, much of the western media, particularly the US media, is doing a great job of distorting reality when it comes to Muslims, showing only the bad shit, and doing so over and over and over and over again to the point where it just drills it's way into people's heads. Imagine of the only Christians the media ever mentioned were Fred Phelps and his ilk - that's what they're doing to Muslims.

If you ever find yourself about to tar millions of people with the same brush, stop, you're about to be racist!

I'm afraid of people who judge millions of people as if they are all the same.

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
You misunderstood my meaning B.

I've met many American Muslims. They are lovely people and I trust their view of the world because none of them have put a 'Jihad' on America. None of them have vowed to not stop until America no longer exists (see my post about IRAN).

I should have qualified my fear. I'm afraid of extreme Muslims who call for death to America because I'm afraid they really mean it. Do you take their threats as idle ones? I don't. I believe they mean to destroy not only America but all of the degenrate Western countries - including that bastion of Catholicism... Ireland.

I'll go change my post and add the term 'extreme'. Sorry for my mistake.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
You misunderstood my meaning B.

I've met many American Muslims. They are lovely people and I trust their view of the world because none of them have put a 'Jihad' on America. None of them have vowed to not stop until America no longer exists (see my post about IRAN).

I should have qualified my fear. I'm afraid of extreme Muslims who call for death to America because I'm afraid they really mean it. Do you take their threats as idle ones? I don't. I believe they mean to destroy not only America but all of the degenrate Western countries - including that bastion of Catholicism... Ireland.

I'll go change my post and add the term 'extreme'. Sorry for my mistake.

Thanks - I appreciate that.

Also, I agree with your fear of Muslim extremists, but I'll go further and say that I'm afraid of all extremists!

The percentage of Muslims who are extremist is tiny, and that's not just true in America. I had the pleasure of getting to know a few Libyan Muslims and they're ordinary people just like you and me with no interest in blowing anything or anyone up. I've also had the pleasure of getting to know some Iranians, and again, perfectly normal friendly people with no interest in killing anyone.

We have to remember not to judge the victims of a dictatorship and/or theocracy by the crimes of it's leaders. The government of Iran may well want to remove Israel from the map and all sorts of other terrible things, but your average Iranian doesn't.

And of course, Muslims have no monopoly on terrorism. I grew up 10 miles from the border with Northern Ireland, so I know all about Christian Terrorists murdering people and blowing things up to instil terror! I can also see strong parallels between the anti-abortion nutters in the US who issue death warrants against abortion providers, and extremist Mullahs issuing Fatwas. Their aims are the same, to use murder and violence to impose their religious views on everyone. It was a Christian extremist who shot Dr. Tiller in his church, and a Christian extremist who detonated a bomb in Oslo and then went on to murder children stuck on a island. Christians rightly bristle when anyone tries to say that those kinds of extremists represent their faith, well, the same is true of the vast majority of Muslims.

The words 'Muslim' and 'Terrorist' or 'Muslim' and 'Extremist' are just not interchangeable, regardless of how many mainstream American personalities I see doing it.

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
You make some valid points, B. The civil war in Ireland was a nightmarish hell for all concerned. Thankfully nuclear weapons were not a threat in that conflict.

Extremists are not exclusively religious nut jobs. The Ukrainian conflict bears that out.

Anders Behring Breivik certainly was an extremist who took many lives that day. But again, thankfully he had no access to nuclear weapons.

I guess the threat of nuclear war is the most fearful element of my fear of Islamic extremists. Russia, China and the other nuclear powers are scary in their own right... including America... but they all have reasons not to instigate the end of civilization. I believe the extremist Muslims have no reason not to use nuclear weapons once they have access to them.

:)

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
I guess the threat of nuclear war is the most fearful element of my fear of Islamic extremists. Russia, China and the other nuclear powers are scary in their own right... including America... but they all have reasons not to instigate the end of civilization. I believe the extremist Muslims have no reason not to use nuclear weapons once they have access to them.

:)

I doubt you'll find too many people who are not worried about stray nukes. They are scary scary weapons, and we should all be worried about them, and not just those Iran is probably working on. The recent stories about the disastrous breakdowns the US military command that manages the nukes is very frightening!

B.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, nuclear war is the most likely outcome of the next global conflict (World War III). I believe countries like America, Russia and China have so many reasons to avoid WWIII that it's at the worst a 50-50 chance of happening imho. I think the problem is countries like North Korea, Pakistan, Iran and Israel might decide to use them in a regional conflict but that might lead to a global disaster. I guess we should just accept that possibility and move on.

ritsuka

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
The taliban aren't terrorists, they are a native Afghan group who rightly want the real terrorists (US AND NATO) out of their country.

gb2000ie

Super Vip
Reaction score
The taliban aren't terrorists, they are a native Afghan group who rightly want the real terrorists (US AND NATO) out of their country.

The dictionary disagrees:

noun
a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims.

Terrorism:

noun
the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

The Taliban are terrorists by any reasonable definition of terrorism.

However, notice how the actual definition of terrorism in no way makes a moral judgement. You can argue that the Taliban are justified in their use of terrorism, but, you cannot say it is not terrorism.

(I don't agree that their terrorism is justified, but then I also don't agree with American war crimes)

The IRA were undoubtedly terrorists, but, you can make a very cogent argument that they were justified in fighting British oppression in the only military way they could. Same goes for the Palestinians.

The American media seem to have decided that "terrorist" == "morally wrong", but that's just a lack of comprehension of the English language.

weydowner

Reaction score
I'd say - sorry to sound anti-American because I'm not - that the more I read about the CIA & associated bodies, it seems that it is, by itself and through its links to some of the most violent terrorist organisations throughout the world, the worst threat going.
At least most of these 'terrorists' are pretty isolated and insular whereas the CIA is both global and its pockets seem limitless.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
It will be correct that not all Muslims are terrorists as well as not all catholic priests are child abusers but there are catholic priests or nuns which are child abusers and there are Muslims which are terrorists.

Shortly in Berlin a so called Salafistic preacher bellowed in a mosque that God my count every Jew and then he should kill them. And no one in this mosque get up from their knees and left indignant! What they are? Peaceful believers? I think here is a very, very, very great potential for violence. But in not one catholic church wherever they may be I think a preacher will cry from the pulpit "God please count every Moslem and kill them!" And that - that is the difference between Christians and Moslems.
And please don't misun derstood my words - I know there are too Christs from which I think they could be terrorists as well.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
Here is an edit of a piece Giles Fraser wrote for todays Guardian. He is a churchman but definately not a conservative one, an example of a good christian, they do exist.

"For decades now the United Nations has been unable to agree a definition of terrorism. Even our own supreme court recently concluded that there is no internationally agreed definition. The stumbling block has been that western governments want states and state agents to be exempt from any definition. And a number of Islamic counties want some national liberation movements exempt.

Or, to put it in terms of today’s news: the Israelis won’t have any definition that would make them terrorists for bombing old people’s homes in Gaza, and West Bank Palestinians won’t have any definition that will make them terrorists for fighting back against occupation with petrol bombs. Writing in his annual report this week, David Anderson QC, the government’s independent reviewer of terrorism legislation, sounds exasperated: “The intractability of some of these questions has induced a degree of defeatism among those seeking to define terrorism.”
Dr Samah Jabr is a psychiatrist and psychotherapist who works out of East Jerusalem.
What some would call terrorism, she would call a moral duty. She gives me her paper on the subject. “Why is the word ‘terrorist’ so readily applied to individuals or groups who use homemade bombs, but not to states using nuclear and other internationally proscribed weapons to ensure submission to the oppressor?” she asks. She insists that violent resistance must be used in defence and as a last resort. And that it is important to distinguish between civilian and military targets. “The American media call our search for freedom ‘terrorism’,” she complains, “despite the fact that the right to self-determination by armed struggle is permissible under the UN charter’s article 51, concerning self-defence.”
Christianity has thought a great deal about the idea of just resistance. The Reformation, for instance, saw a flurry of moral justifications for resistance to the state, when that state is seeking to impose on its subjects its own particular understanding of religious faith. In 1574, for example, Theodore Beza published his The Right of Magistrates in which he affirmed the right of resistance – and violent resistance in the final instance – to state tyranny. This sort of thing was hardly a one-off.

Much of our modern political theory about the role and limits of the state was established by the political theology of the 16th and 17th centuries – and by those who would be branded terrorists under this country’s current terrorist legislation. Oliver Cromwell, for instance, would almost certainly be a terrorist. Come to think of it, so too would Moses and his famous (and very violent) run-in with the Egyptian state. And both of these were “religiously inspired”. If we can have just war, why not just terrorism?"

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Dasrgelos - I think an adventurous theory and not compliant for the political class of my country. But nonetheless a very interesting one.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion:

Religions are the greatest threat to peace on earth.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam are the worst examples of war mongering religions.

Religion is a poison that in large doses pollutes the minds of the weak.

I just wonder which religion Dr Samah Jabr is a follower of?

As I see it Islam is the worst of the 3. Today I read about ISIS demolishing a tomb claimed to be that of the 'prophet' Jonah. It reminded me of the destruction of an ancient carving of Buddha in Afghanistan some years ago. But all 3 war mongering ideologies are to blame for a lot of the conflicts of the past and present. Even so the underlying root cause is greed. Greed drives all conflicts. Religions are greed incarnate.

Many people get sucked into religion with good intentions. Once they devote themselves to their particular cult the good intentions take a secondary priority to the greed of that cult. They lose sight of their original desire to do good for others.

These are just my opinions. They are subject to change with lessons I learn each day.

Last edited:

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
As Karl Marx said RELIGION IS THE OPIUM OF THE PEOPLE! Truth or not?

tonka

Super Vip
Reaction score
To take this back to Bergdahl, I hope this situation can calm down.

This man seems to have been less than stable before he joined the military, and his time in Afghanistan broke him down.

After his capture, he suffered.

Yes, other troops apparently died trying to find him. But that's what happens in war. Young men die (and women and civilians). It's a war zone. It's a death zone.

Can anyone argue that he hasn't suffered enough? And even as a free man, his life will be difficult.

We don't need another pound of flesh.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
Dr Jabr is a medical doctor so she has committed herself to the saving of life not the taking of life. Her nationality is Palestinian. She is Muslim but obviously not very strict about it. Her words are her own not mine, and won't go down well in America. I am asking you to understand her , not agree with her.

A few weeks ago it was football being the opiate of the masses, now it's gone back to being religion again. Same thing really, there are nice footballers and FIFA are nasty, there are nice religious people while the organisations controlling their religion are nasty.

lhardwick69

Reaction score
I am sorry guys--but if you had a son and he was held captive for 5 yrs or 5 days you would want him home no matter what-- whether he negotiated with terrorists or not