• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Retro Photo (Anything Retro)

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score

I almost forgot myself when the button to brighten the headlights on a car was on the floorboard ;)

I just bought a van that's 40 years old and when I saw the dimmer switch on the floor my first thought was to post it in this thread. You beat me to it...

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
Walker’s DeLuxe Whiskey ad, 1957

zwalkeru20.jpg

trencherman

Reaction score
Here’s a retro example of form following function design, an eminently evocative creamer:

trencherman

Reaction score

I wonder if present day schoolrooms still display models of the cursive alphabet. I remember when signing your name in print was a stigma that meant you did not go past grade II of primary education, just a tiny tad improvement over an x.

Last edited:

waistingmytime

Re-Post City
Reaction score
I wonder if present day schoolrooms still display models of the cursive alphabet. I remember when signing your name in print was a stigma that meant you did not go past grade II of primary education, just a tiny tad improvement over an x.

Some school districts may still display them, but in the county where I live, cursive writing is no longer used in the schools.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score

I remember in primary school us kids had to learn cursive writing & using a real ink pen - hey-ho, I've never had any use for ink pens outside the primary school classroom ;):thinking:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score

I almost forgot myself when the button to brighten the headlights on a car was on the floorboard ;)

In France I don't know any car with headlights control on the floorboard.
About controls the Citroen DS (with automatic clutch) was very kinky too!
The only thing that is like a pedal was the parking brake, never touch it driving !
The mushroom in the middle was mainbrakes and the little plank on the right was the accelerator.
I never could drive this car with one feet for the brakes and one feet for the accelerator because mainbrakes control was very very sensitive and I became dangerous for me and other drivers. X_X
Then my left leg had nothing to do during the travel. Anyway it was awesome :thumbs up:

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
This thread is so marvellous and interesting for me - it is like wandering through a museum and to see there things totally unknown to me as if from a long long time ago - but when I'm asking my dad or my grand-dad they are laughing. It was their time - what will be in again 70 or 100 years from now? We are thinking we have now the non-plus-ultra - but did we have it? Surely not!

So I love this thread from the past!

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score

My elementary school still had one of these vending machines​

We didn't have anything so modern as a vending machine but we could buy some few supplies at the school. There was a supply closet next to the Principal's office and the secretary would be there a few minutes before first bell every morning. For some reason I loved going there to buy something at least once a week. Happy memories.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
NBC: 60 Years In ‘Living Color’
May 6, 2014, 12:30 AM EST by Frank Beacham

ROSE_Parade-54-255x300.jpg

This year is the 60th anniversary of color television. NBC made history with the first live national broadcast in “living color” over a 22-city network hastily constructed by AT&T on New Year’s Day, 1954.

The event, the Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, was tailor-made to show off RCA’s brand new color television technology.ROSE_Parade-54

Only a few thousand people actually saw the parade in color that day. For the occasion, RCA built a special run of only 200 color sets — designated the Model 5 (for prototype #5) —f or the NBC affiliates and RCA Victor TV retail distributors.

Other manufacturers, wanting to enter the color TV business, also built their own prototypes for the occasion. The idea was to build excitement about color TV, and that it did.

rca_CT-100_1954-300x239.jpg

The first consumer color television receivers hit the market a few weeks later, with 5,000 units rolling off the RCA assembly line in Bloomington, Ind., in March 1954.

rca_CT-100_1954Nicknamed “the Merrill,” the RCA Model CT-100 had a 12-inch diagonal screen and cost a whopping $1,000 (well over $6,000 by today’s standards).

Since only 31 stations in the United States had color capability, there wasn’t much to watch. In fact, any color program broadcast in the 1950s was a big event.

Just before the inaugural live Rose Parade broadcast, the first filmed series to have a color episode aired was Dragnet in December 1953. Other notable events were the first color broadcast of a president (Dwight Eisenhower in June 1955) and the first color broadcast of the World Series (Dodgers vs. Yankees in September 1955).

Even with these special broadcasts, it would be a long time before most Americans experienced color television in their living rooms. Those indelible images from the Kennedy assassination in November 1963 — 10 years after the Rose parade colorcast — were still in black and white.

RCA_CT-100-240x300.jpg

RCA_CT-100The tide began to turn in the early ’60s, after about half a million color sets had been sold. Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color began in 1961. The first color cartoons, the Flintstones and the Jetsons, began in the fall of 1962. However, to baby boomers and their parents, one show would come to define the move to color television. The first episode of Bonanza aired on Sept. 12, 1959.

Shot on location in the scenic Lake Tahoe area, this NBC western was filmed in color to showcase parent RCA’s compelling new technology. At first Bonanza aired on Saturday nights, where it bombed in the ratings. Kept alive simply because it was in color, the show was moved after its first two seasons to Sunday nights. Here it found an audience and became a huge hit — lasting a total of 14 seasons.

From 1964 to 1967, Bonanza was the single most-watched television program in America. The year 1966 also signaled NBC’s switch to an all-color network. During this period, sales of color television sets finally took off. By the end of ’60s, the black and white era was over.

1954_RCA_Ad

1954_RCA_Ad-743x1024.jpg

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
Glad you mentioned TV's, because I happen to have one of these sitting in my garage...

1959 RCA Victor 21" color. It was there when I bought the house. I was seriously tempted to gut it out and mount a modern tabletop TV inside the cabinet because I really dig the mid-century modern style of it' I was even going to use the trim around the screen to keep the round picture. But I was afraid of damaging it. I haven't ever even plugged it in for fear of blowing a tube or something else that would be irreplaceable...

When I bought the house, I had very little money left over for decorating. The family room had these blue walls...

With ugly, yellow, damask drapes...

And hanging in one corner, a green velvet swag lamp...

So I ran with what I had, hit the thrift stores and picked up...

A green/gold crushed velvet Hollywood Regency sofa...

A pair of orange velvet swivel rockers...

Brass & glass 3 tier table lamp...

And a surfboard coffee table...

Al I was missing was that perfect TV to complete my retro inspired "$300 Technicolor Nightmare" ...

Last edited:

taurus2904

Obstinatician
Reaction score
TV Price Guide

I wondered how the 1966 prices compared to today's, so for grins and giggles I ran an inflation comparison.

I chose October, because the Fall TV Season would have been in full swing with all new episodes. Also, one of my favorite shows, "Bewitched", although in its third season had slipped from 2nd rank to 7th (tied with "Daktari" and "The Beverly Hillbillies"), it was still extremely popular. The original Darrin (Dick York) was still part of the cast and Tabitha was introduced.

January 2018 is the most current inflation data available.

October 1966 $500.00 = January 2018 $3,766.98.

$500.00 seemed a nice round number and somewhere in the middle of the pack of color TV stand-alone set prices -- depending on manufacturer, make, model, and size.