• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Star Trek Finally Steps Forward On Gay Character

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
The Star Trek Franchise Finally Takes a Step Forward on LGBT Representation
TIME | Eliza Berman | July 7 2016 12:41 PM ET

22608314a6e1252d292dd4b64915d2ffbfb7b02d.jpg

Hikaru Sulu, played by John Cho in "Star Trek Beyond," has been revealed to be gay in the forthcoming movie

When it premiered on NBC in 1966, Star Trek was revolutionary in its diversity. Featuring a Japanese-American helmsman (George Takei) and a female African-American communications officer (Nichelle Nichols) among its core characters, the show presented a multicultural vision of the future that was unprecedented in network television. But just as progressive as actually making the show diverse was its nonchalance about this vision, presented without scandal or fanfare.

To the disappointment of many fans, the show’s inclusion did not extend to LGBT characters, even as it blossomed into a major franchise over half a century. That fact is set to change with the release of Star Trek Beyond on July 22, in which it has been revealed that Hikaru Sulu, played by Takei in the original series and by John Cho in the most recent big-screen trilogy, will be gay.

Cho says the decision to reveal the sexual orientation of the character, who has never had any explicit romantic attachments (though his daughter was introduced in the 1994 film Star Trek Generations), was made by writer Simon Pegg and director Justin Lin. It is meant, in part, as a tribute to Takei, who came out as gay in 2005 and has since become an advocate for LGBT rights.

In a way, revealing Sulu to be gay in Beyond is a continuation of the franchise’s treatment of diversity as a non-issue. As Cho told the Herald Sun, “I liked the approach, which was not to make a big thing out it, which is where I hope we are going as a species, to not politicise one’s personal orientations.”

For many, the news is simultaneously welcome and alarmingly late, especially given the show’s progressive track record. The show was among the first to depict an interracial kiss, in the 1968 episode “Plato’s Stepchildren,” a decision which sparked a backlash, Takei has said, that made creator Gene Roddenberry fear that too much envelope-pushing could backfire and leave him without a show at all. This fear contributed to the lack of LGBT representation during Roddenberry’s tenure, though he had apparently been planning to add an LGBT character to Star Trek: The Next Generation before he died suddenly in 1991.

It’s also possible that the idea that the series’ universe transcends race and sexuality may have created a situation in which addressing the issue felt unnecessary to its helmers. Roddenberry’s son Rod told Wired in 2013, though he conceded that it sounded a bit like a cop-out, “I mean, there were interspecies relationships on Star Trek, so we’re just beyond the point where homosexuality is an issue.”

But as Devon Maloney wrote in that story, a thorough look at the franchise’s record with regard to LGBT representation, “The invisibility of gay characters isn’t neutral; it’s negative.” At a time when only 36 percent of studio movies pass the Vito Russo Test—a litmus test for whether LGBT characters are not only represented but presented as complex people rather than thin stereotypes—visibility is critical.

The question now is not only how Sulu’s sexual orientation will play out in Star Trek Beyond, but whether this decision might also bode well for LGBT representation in the reboot of the Star Trek show airing on CBS All Access next year and produced by Rod Roddenberry. The treatment of sexuality in the series’ character development may well be a non-issue—as important as Sulu’s love for botany or fencing or his daughter—but the visibility of rich LGBT characters is an issue, and one worth monitoring closely.

SOURCE

How fantastic is this? And Sulu is the Gay character. I love Simon Pegg. And now I love him even more for his decision to 'boldly go where no Star Trek writer has gone before'.

Arctictwin

Reaction score
I did not know Simon was one of the writers!

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"
The Hollywood Reporter | 3:37 PM PDT 7/7/2016 | by Seth Abramovitch

22608939cf21f8efd34a3cadd928e5d1d8c2c434.jpg

Speaking exclusively to THR, the actor and LGBT activist says the 'Star Trek Beyond' development for his character is out of step with what creator Gene Roddenberry would have wanted.

In the summer of 1968, George Takei attended a pool party at the Hollywood Hills home of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. The actor, then 31 and famous for his role as Hikaru Sulu, helmsman of the USS Enterprise, swam up to his boss and "had a conversation with him, a very private one. I was still closeted, so I did not want to come out to him."

Nevertheless, Takei — who announced he was gay in 2005 — was fully attuned to the gay equality conversation gaining momentum at the time. He felt it was a topic worth exploring on the socially minded science-fiction series, which had previously tackled issues like the Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam War through keenly observed allegory.

But the show had recently seen its lowest ratings ever, with an episode featuring TV's first interracial kiss between Captain Kirk and Lieutenant Uhura, which NBC affiliates in the South refused to air. While sympathetic to his star's pitch, Roddenberry felt he was in no position to take those kinds of risks.

"He was a strong supporter of LGBT equality," recalls Takei, now 79. "But he said he has been pushing the envelope and walking a very tight rope — and if he pushed too hard, the show would not be on the air." Alas, the show was canceled the following season anyway.

But Star Trek has lived long and prospered for studio home Paramount, spawning six TV series and 13 feature films. True to its title, the latest big-screen outing, Star Trek Beyond, has gone where none have gone before: Star John Cho — who assumes the Sulu mantle for the third time in the reboots — has told Australia's Herald Sun that the character is revealed to be gay.

The idea came from Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty in the new films and penned the Beyond screenplay, and director Justin Lin, both of whom wanted to pay homage to Takei's legacy as both a sci-fi icon and beloved LGBT activist.

And so a scene was written into the new film, very matter-of-fact, in which Sulu is pictured with a male spouse raising their infant child. Pegg and Lin assumed, reasonably, that Takei would be overjoyed at the development — a manifestation of that conversation with Roddenberry in his swimming pool so many years ago.

Except Takei wasn't overjoyed. He had never asked for Sulu to be gay. In fact, he'd much prefer that he stay straight. "I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate."

Takei explains that Roddenberry was exhaustive in conceiving his Star Trek characters. (The name Sulu, for example, was based on the Sulu Sea off the coast of the Philippines, so as to render his Asian nationality indeterminate.) And Roddenberry had always envisioned Sulu as heterosexual.

Proving that is not so simple a matter, however. Sulu never had an onscreen love interest during Star Trek's initial three-season run. He did mention a daughter, Demora, who appeared in 1994's Star Trek Generations, the seventh film in the series (she was played by Jacqueline Kim).

But the only reference to how Demora was conceived appears in a secondary canonical source: the 1995 Star Trek novel The Captain's Daughter. "It was, to put it crudely, a one-night stand with a glamazon," Takei explains. "A very athletic, powerful and stunningly gorgeous woman. That’s Demora’s mother."

Takei first learned of Sulu's recent same-sex leanings last year, when Cho called him to reveal the big news. Takei tried to convince him to make a new character gay instead. "I told him, 'Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted.'" (Takei had enough negative experiences inside the Hollywood closet, he says, and strongly feels a character who came of age in the 23rd century would never find his way inside one.)

His timeline logic, however, is enough to befuddle even the most diehard of Trek enthusiasts, as the rebooted trilogy takes place before the action of the original series. In other words, assuming canon orthodoxy, this storyline suggest Sulu would have had to have first been gay and married, only to then go into the closet years later.

Not long after Cho's bombshell call came another, this one from Lin, again informing that Sulu was indeed to be gay in Star Trek Beyond. Takei remained steadfastly opposed to the decision.

"I said, 'This movie is going to be coming out on the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, the 50th anniversary of paying tribute to Gene Roddenberry, the man whose vision it was carried us through half a century. Honor him and create a new character. I urged them. He left me feeling that that was going to happen," Takei says.

After that, all was quiet from Beyond until a few months ago, when Takei received an email from Pegg "praising me for my advocacy for the LGBT movement and for my pride in Star Trek," he says. "And I thought to myself, 'How wonderful! It’s a fan letter from Simon Pegg. Justin had talked to him!'" Takei was certain the creative team had rethought their decision to make Sulu gay.

That is until one month ago, when he received an email from Cho informing him that the actor was about to embark on an international media tour for Beyond. Cho said it was bound to come out that his character was gay, and "what should he do?" A disappointed Takei told Cho to go about his promotional duties, but that he was "not going to change" his mind on the matter.

"I really tried to work with these people when at long last the issue of gay equality was going to be addressed," Takei says. "I thought after that conversation with Justin that was going to happen. Months later, when I got that email from Simon Pegg, I was kind of confused. He thinks I’m a great guy? Wonderful. But what was the point of that letter? I interpreted that as my words having been heard."

Takei for his part is hoping to take Sulu in new directions as well, potentially on CBS' upcoming Star Trek series, slated to premiere in January and co-run by Alex Kurtzman and Bryan Fuller, who is openly gay.

"Leonard Nimoy made two cameo appearances [in Star Trek films]. There’s no reason why an ancient, wise Admiral Sulu can’t appear, or maybe an alien creature who sounds like me. That should be fun," Takei says, then lets out his famous, basso profundo laugh.

SOURCE
I can see George's point. Why didn't they introduce a new character to carry into future Star Trek productions on the Big and Small screen? That would have made more sense to me too.

But I'm so happy Star Trek has opened this door for us I can support the idea of a Gay Sulu 100% and I hope the new CBS series follows suit by including Gay characters from the very start. Bryan Fuller may take the leap just like Simon Pegg and Justin Lin.

Let's hope so anyway :D