• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Film Awards 2023

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
So we now have the list of BAFTA (British awards) and Oscar nominations.... What do we think? What WILL win; what SHOULD win?

Regarding the BAFTAs nominations All Quiet on the Western Front leads the list with 14 with The Banshees Of Inisherin & Everything Everywhere All at Once both having 10 each

Here is the BAFTA list for the main catagories

Best film
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Malte Grunert
  • The Banshees Of Inisherin – Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin, Martin Mcdonagh
  • Elvis – Gail Berman, Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Patrick Mccormick, Schuyler Weiss
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once – Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert, Jonathan Wang
  • Tár – Todd Field, Scott Lambert, Alexandra Milchan

Director
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Edward Berger
  • The Banshees of Inisherin – Martin Mcdonagh
  • Decision to Leave – Park Chan-wook
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once – Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert
  • Tár – Todd Field
  • The Woman King – Gina Prince-bythewood
Leading actress
  • Cate Blanchett – Tár
  • Viola Davis – The Woman King
  • Danielle Deadwyler – Till
  • Ana De Armas – Blonde
  • Emma Thompson – Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
  • Michelle Yeoh – Everything Everywhere All at Once
Leading actor
  • Austin Butler – Elvis
  • Colin Farrell – The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Brendan Fraser – The Whale
  • Daryl Mccormack – Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
  • Paul Mescal – Aftersun
  • Bill Nighy – Living
Supporting actress
  • Angela Bassett – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  • Hong Chau – The Whale
  • Kerry Condon – The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Dolly De Leon – Triangle of Sadness
  • Jamie Lee Curtis – Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • Carey Mulligan – She Said
Supporting actor
  • Brendan Gleeson – The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Barry Keoghan – The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Ke Huy Quan – Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • Eddie Redmayne – The Good Nurse
  • Albrecht Schuch – All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Micheal Ward – Empire of Light
Original screenplay
  • The Fabelmans – Tony Kushner, Steven Spielberg
  • Tár – Todd Field
  • Triangle of Sadness – Ruben Östlund
Adapted screenplay
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson, Ian Stokell
  • Living – Kazuo Ishiguro
  • The Quiet Girl – Colm Bairéad
  • She Said – Rebecca Lenkiewicz
  • The Whale – Samuel D. Hunter
Film not in the English language
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Edward Berger, Malte Grunert
  • Argentina, 1985 – Santiago Mitre, Producer(S) Tbc
  • Corsage – Marie Kreutzer
  • Decision to Leave – Park Chan-wook, Ko Dae-seok
  • The Quiet Girl – Colm Bairéad, Cleona Ní Chrualaoí
Original score
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Volker Bertelmann
  • Babylon – Justin Hurwitz
  • The Banshees of Inisherin – Carter Burwell
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once – Son Lux
  • Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio – Alexandre Desplat
Cinematography
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – James Friend
  • The Batman – Greig Fraser
  • Elvis – Mandy Walker
  • Empire of Light – Roger Deakins
  • Top Gun: Maverick – Claudio Miranda

Special visual effects
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Markus Frank, Kamil Jafar, Viktor Müller, Frank Petzoid
  • Avatar: The Way of Water – Richard Baneham, Daniel Barrett, Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon
  • The Batman – Russell Earl, Dan Lemmon, Anders Langlands, Dominic Tuohy
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once – Benjamin Brewer, Ethan Feldbau, Jonathan Kombrinck, Zak Stoltz
  • Top Gun: Maverick – Seth Hill, Scott R. Fisher, Bryan Litson, Ryan Tudhope
Outstanding British film
  • Aftersun – Charlotte Wells, Producer(S) Tbc
  • The Banshees of Inisherin – Martin Mcdonagh, Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin
  • Brian and Charles – Jim Archer, Rupert Majendie, David Earl, Chris Hayward
  • Empire of Light – Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris
  • Good Luck to You, Leo Grande – Sophie Hyde, Debbie Gray, Adrian Politowski, Katy Brand
  • Living – Oliver Hermanus, Elizabeth Karlsen, Stephen Woolley, Kazuo Ishiguro
  • Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical – Matthew Warchus, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Jon Finn, Luke Kelly, Dennis Kelly
  • See How They Run – Tom George, Gina Carter, Damian Jones, Mark Chappell
  • The Swimmers – Sally El Hosaini, Producer(S) Tbc, Jack Thorne
  • The Wonder – Sebastián Lelio, Ed Guiney, Juliette Howell, Andrew Lowe, Tessa Ross, Alice Birch, Emma Donoghue

Last edited:

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
And here are the Oscar nominations

This time Everything Everywhere All at Once leads with 11 and The Banshees of Inisherin & All Quiet on the Western Front both have 9 each

Best Picture

• All Quiet on the Western Front
  • The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Elvis
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • The Fabelmans
  • Tár
  • Top Gun: Maverick
  • Triangle of Sadness
  • Women Talking

Best Director

• The Banshees of Inisherin - Martin McDonagh
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once - Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert
  • The Fabelmans - Steven Spielberg
  • Tár - Todd Field
  • Triangle of Sadness - Ruben Östlund

Best Actor

• Austin Butler – Elvis
  • Brendan Fraser – The Whale
  • Paul Mescal – Aftersun
  • Bill Nighy – Living

Best Actress

• Cate Blanchett – Tár
  • Ana de Armas – Blonde
  • Andrea Riseborough - To Leslie
  • Michelle Williams - The Fabelmans

Best Supporting Actor

• Brian Tyree Henry - Causeway
  • Judd Hirsch – The Fabelmans
  • Barry Keoghan – The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Ke Huy Quan – Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Supporting Actress

• Angela Bassett – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  • Hong Chau – The Whale
  • Kerry Condon – The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Stephanie Hsu – Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Original Screenplay
  • The Fabelmans
  • Tár
  • Triangle of Sadness

Best Adapted Screenplay

• Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
  • Living
  • Women Talking

Best International Film

• Argentina, 1985
  • Close
  • EO
  • The Quiet Girl

Best Original Score

• Babylon
  • The Fabelmans

Best Cinematography

• Bardo
  • Elvis
  • Empire of Light
  • Tár

Best Editing

• Elvis
  • Tár

Best Visual Effects

• The Batman
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Last edited:

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Last night we had "Guldbagge-galan" (Golden Beetle Award) in Sweden. Ruben Östlund's "Triangle of Sadness" won in 6 categories. But I haven't seen this movie yet - and not much else of Swedish movies from 2022.

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
Last night we had "Guldbagge-galan" (Golden Beetle Award) in Sweden. Ruben Östlund's "Triangle of Sadness" won in 6 categories. But I haven't seen this movie yet - and not much else of Swedish movies from 2022.
It doesn't surprise me. Swedish iconoclast Östlund is a mad genius!!

"Triangle of Sadness" (the title sounds like a boring thing, right?!) is an absolutely hilarious satire about rich people, we know from fake 1nstagram world. Definitely worth the Palme d'Or it got last year!

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Well I haven't seen Elvis ; Tár or The Fableman so don't know how strong a contender they are. Of those I have seen I absolutely love The Banshees of Inisherin & Everything Everywhere All at Once and my guess is they will be the two fighting it out. I watched All Quiet On The Western Front last night and although I enjoyed it (if enjoy is the right word for such a visceral bloody movie explicitly detailing the horrors and waste of war) I'm not sure it's a Best Picture though.

Regarding The Fableman, as I said I haven't seen it and maybe it's phenomonally good? or maybe not? but I do wonder if the jury will be swayed by the idea of the movie rather than the actual movie - unconciously biased along the lines of "It's a Spielberg movie telling the story of his love for this magical dream factory we all love called Hollywood so of course it's got to be the winner"

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me. Swedish iconoclast Östlund is a mad genius!!

"Triangle of Sadness" (the title sounds like a boring thing, right?!) is an absolutely hilarious satire about rich people, we know from fake 1nstagram world. Definitely worth the Palme d'Or it got last year!
From reviews and comments about I have read about this movie I think I'm in the minority as I didn't really like it as a whole. Parts of it I did find very entertaining and funny, mainly the section on the yacht. The rest of it I thought was slow and a bit boring. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it? .... maybe I'll give it another try and see what happens then.

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Regarding the Best Actor category I see that there are 3 that make it onto both BAFTA and OSCAR lists - Austin Butler for Elvis; Colin Farrell for The Banshees of Inisherin and Brendan Fraser for The Whale, I have only seen one of these so cannot comment. Anyone seen all 3?

At the Golden Globes 2 of these won but in different catagories as the Globes have separate awards for Motion Picture (Drama) and Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) so trophies there for Austin Butler for Elvis & Colin Farrell for The Banshees of Inisherin.

Last edited:

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Not sure how unique this is (maybe it happens quite a lot and I never noticed?) but The Banshees Of Inisherin has two actors competing for Best Supporting Actor as both Brendon Gleeson and Barry Keoghan are nominated for the BAFTA .... and possibly even more unique they are also both nominated for a Best Supporting Actor OSCAR ..... and even if it happening twice is common the two of them were also both nominated for a Best Supporting Actor at the Golden Globes.

As it happens neither won the G. Globe, that went to Ke Huy Quan for Everything Everywhere All at Once.

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
@slimjim

1. The Fabelmans: I have the same "fear" about Spielberg's movie-memoir. In my opinion, this is literally the most boring Spielberg film I've ever seen.

2. Triangle of Sadness: The story seems a bit ridiculous but the shots taken on privileges were unbelievably accurate and on point.

3. Best Actor: after long time I'm not sure who will win an oscar in this category. I'm rooting for Fraser, but the Oscars love giving awards to actors who play musicians, So, I think Butler will win.

But on the other side, we know that the Academy also loves to reward actors who go all out to elevate their performances to new heights. We still remember Jared Leto who won an Academy Award for best supporting actor for his performance in Dallas Buyers Club, as he transformed into a HIV-positive transgender woman by losing 40 pounds...or Charlize Theron from Monster...

Definitely one of those years where anyone deserves to win.

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
@slimjim

1. The Fabelmans: I have the same "fear" about Spielberg's movie-memoir. In my opinion, this is literally the most boring Spielberg film I've ever seen.

2. Triangle of Sadness: The story seems a bit ridiculous but the shots taken on privileges were unbelievably accurate and on point.

3. Best Actor: after long time I'm not sure who will win an oscar in this category. I'm rooting for Fraser, but the Oscars love giving awards to actors who play musicians, So, I think Butler will win.

But on the other side, we know that the Academy also loves to reward actors who go all out to elevate their performances to new heights. We still remember Jared Leto who won an Academy Award for best supporting actor for his performance in Dallas Buyers Club, as he transformed into a HIV-positive transgender woman by losing 40 pounds...or Charlize Theron from Monster...

Definitely one of those years where anyone deserves to win.
Interesting what you thought about Fablemans - I've not seen it, and t.b.h I probably wouldn't have been interested anyway as I tend not to go for bio-pics, they're not my thing usually. Similarly I haven't seen The Whale; Aftersun or Living or heard much about them, excepting some praise for Bill Nighy's performance in Living.

Interesting that the 5 Ocsar nominated actors are all BAFTA nominated too - the only difference being the BAFTA's have 6 names, the "extra" one being Daryl Mccormack for Good Luck to You, Leo Grande, which again I haven't seen.

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
Interesting that the 5 Ocsar nominated actors are all BAFTA nominated too - the only difference being the BAFTA's have 6 names, the "extra" one being Daryl Mccormack for Good Luck to You, Leo Grande, which again I haven't seen.

Good Luck to You, Leo Grande is a very unique movie (with only five actors and two filming locations!) for a certain audience. At first while reading the description of this I thought NO thanks. But so glad I gave it a chance. This is an absolutely brilliant, intelligent, thoroughly adult movie! It's about REAL people and REAL feelings.

Hats off to Emma Thomspson who gives the performance of her career. (y)I have to wonder what Thompson's thought process was in deciding to take on this role. It can't have been easy for her, at age 63. :unsure:

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
So I just checked out that Good Luck to You, Leo Grande.... I think we can all relate to the discussion about the list

edit: I think we both posted at the same time - trailer certainly looks good and given your comments I will certainly take a look

Last edited:

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Good Luck to You, Leo Grande is a very unique movie (with only five actors and two filming locations!) for a certain audience. At first while reading the description of this I thought NO thanks. But so glad I gave it a chance. This is an absolutely brilliant, intelligent, thoroughly adult movie! It's about REAL people and REAL feelings.

Hats off to Emma Thomspson who gives the performance of her career. (y)I have to wonder what Thompson's thought process was in deciding to take on this role. It can't have been easy for her, at age 63. :unsure:
I just watched this - quite a movie tackling taboo sexual subjects with wit, an eclectic script; flair and welcome realism and excellent performances from Emma Thompson and Daryl McCormack. Some great dialogue and a couple of memorable moments - like the beginning shot of one of their get-togethers and the look on the waitress's face near the end. It's interesting that it get's 3 BAFTA nominations but nothing in the Oscar listings.

I found an interview with Emma where she mentioned that she, Daryl and the Director spent a full day on a closed set fully naked so that when they got around to filming the nude scenes they were relaxed with it all. It took just 19 days to film. Some other interesting points raised in this other
interview...

Last edited:

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
I just watched this - quite a movie tackling taboo sexual subjects with wit, an eclectic script; flair and welcome realism and excellent performances from Emma Thompson and Daryl McCormack. Some great dialogue and a couple of memorable moments - like the beginning shot of one of their get-togethers and the look on the waitress's face near the end. It's interesting that it get's 3 BAFTA nominations but nothing in the Oscar listings.

I found an interview with Emma where she mentioned that she, Daryl and the Director spent a full day on a closed set fully naked so that when they got around to filming the nude scenes they were relaxed with it all. It took just 19 days to film. Some other interesting points raised in this other
interview...

She is one brave woman to take on this role!!! (y)

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
Now this is why I watch the Oscars: the drama! Nobody beat Hollywood drama!!! :p

The Academy is officially taking a closer look at the Oscar campaigns for this year’s nominees after a growing backlash surrounding the viral grassroots organizing that earned “To Leslie” ($23,000 at the box-office) star Andrea Riseborough a surprise Best Actress nomination.

This doesn’t make sense, the Academy was campaigned to, that’s why she got nominated, the Academy nominated its nominees, not some “other people”. I think some studio members (with $$$) must've made a few phone calls after the snubs...

Well, I was very curious to see what the hype was about so I watched the movie last night and I was amazed by her performance. Agree, her nomination was unexpected but NOT undeserved, this whole "controversy" feels so manufactured. She did an oscar worthy performance! (y)

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Well Hollywood always looks at the bottom line, the $$$$$ before anything else.

Dr Strange And The Multiverse Of Madness apparently cost an estimated $200 million whereas Evertything Everywhere All At Once was apparently around $20 million and I know which one IMHO is an awesome; jaw-dropping; immersive; emotional; total blast of a rollercoaster of a ride - I gasped, l laughed a lot and I cried .... and which one is a tedious bland sterile un-marvellous movie - I yawned a lot and looked at my watch a lot.

Last edited:

slimjim

Super Vip
Reaction score
Well here we are - it's the BAFTAs tonight and having managed to see a few more of the nominated films these are my predictions for tonight.

Best film... no doubt in my mind. Up to mid Dec I was sure it would be Everything Everywhere All at Once, then I saw this
  • The Banshees Of Inisherin – Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin, Martin Mcdonagh
Director

Leading actress.... tricky I think Emma will get it - but I think Michelle should
  • Emma Thompson – Good Luck to You, Leo Grande

Leading actor.... I haven't seen Bill Nighy in Living so cannot assess his performance but in any case I think it's gonna be, and should be

Supporting actress

Supporting actor ... another tricky one but I think Ke Huy Quan might just loose out to

Original screenplay .. could be The Banshees but I think on terms of sheer originality (and nothing at all to do with butt-plugs or big dildos)

Adapted screenplay
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson, Ian Stokell

Film not in the English language ... I haven't seen any of the others but they would have to be damn good to beat
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Edward Berger, Malte Grunert

Original score
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once – Son Lux

Cinematography ... surprises me that The Banshees is not in this category, I think it would win if it was but it ain't so
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – James Friend

Special visual effects .... A safe bet that Smurfs Go Swimming will take this one
  • Avatar: The Way of Water – Richard Baneham, Daniel Barrett, Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon

Outstanding British film ... another tricky one. I haven't seen all of them but thought Aftersun was awful. My guess is it will end up being one of these 3

• Good Luck to You, Leo Grande – Sophie Hyde, Debbie Gray, Adrian Politowski, Katy Brand
Thing is will Leo grande get it for Emmas performance and the overall subject matter? Will Empire Of Light get it due to it being cinema related and covering issues around race? Or will The Banshees grab another.... mmmmmm So if you twist my arm to pick one then I'll go with
BUT... if it wins Best Film and Director then maybe (as a way of sharing out a bit more) I think it might go to

We will have to wait and see just how utterly wrong I turn out to be. LOL

So what do you think???

Last edited:

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
now as well an aspirant for the OSCAR! But - and that is MY opinion - the film is really good and worth watching. Only the end is in my opinion really bad and has nothing to do with the book. Contrary to this new film the old one from 1930 is much, much better with a much more tragic end. And the end is originally the end of the book!