• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Robert Mapplethorpe: Photography & a new gay sensibility.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Sam Wagstaff (1921-1987)

He was handsome, well educated and had excellent connections to all parts of the American and European artworld; he was also rich - and a homosexual man living a difficult life in the Big Apple of the 1950s and 60s. Samuel Jones Wagstaff Jr (1921-1987) descended from a patrician New York family with roots we can follow back to the 17th century, a family who owned substantial land properties in Manhattan, and he was the son of Samuel Jones Wagstaff Sr and Olga Piorkowska. He was not only a troubled young man and a bonafide US Navy war hero present at Omaha Beach on D-Day 1944, but also a man destined to become pretty wealthy sooner or later.

After having left the Navy and graduated from Yale Sam went into the advertising business on Madison Avenue, and found in a few years that this was a job he hated and detested, while he at the same time became skilled at living the double life of a 1950s deeply closeted gay man. On the one hand he was a big favourite among the posh young society women in the annual Debutant Ball, but the favourites of Sam's own choice were men of his own age.

In the mid 1950s he got fully fed up with being an Ad Man and wanted to turn his professional life in a very different direction - he wanted to go into the world of fine arts! Thus he asked his wealthy mother Olga to support him financially to go back to the university, and more specifically to enroll at the Insttute of Fine Arts at New York University in 1957. His most important professor was Richard Offner, who was one of the foremost experts on Italian painting of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, taking Wagstaff on several expeditions to Europe, in particular trips to the hill towns of Tuscany. Sam thus learned the rigorous methods of art history and got lots of transatlantic connections in the artworld.

After a brief intership at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Sam was hired as a curator at the oldest public museum in the US: The Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, Connecticut, and in 1964 he organized the exhibition "Black, White and Grey" which was the first museum survey of Minimalist Art:

A couple of years later he arranged sculptor Tony Smith's first museum exhibition:

After some arguments with the board of trustees at Wadsworth Atheneum in 1968, he moved on to work at Detroit Institute of Art where he staid as a curator until 1971.

While Wagstaff's deepest expertise as an art historian was in late medieval and renaissance art, he was also very much in touch with what was happening in contemporary art. He started working in Hartford at precisely the same moment in time when Andy Warhol started becoming famous as "The king of Pop Art" - Wagstaff met Warhol and they became good friends, but he also befriended a large number of other artists just at the cusp of becoming well known: Tony Smith, Ray Johnson, Richard Tuttle, John Cage, Merce Cunningham, Robert Rauschenberg, Jasper Johns, Robert Indiana, Cy Twombly and many more.

Sam got into a big brawl with the Detroit Institute's directory in 1971, concerning his decision to acquisit an "Earth Art"-project by Michael Heizer, titled Dragged Mass Displacement centered on a 30 ton slab of granite. The basic idea was that the gigantic slab would be hauled and sunk in a pre-digged hole in the ground, but what happened was that the immaculate museum lawn was virtually destroyed by all tha violent hauling of the granite monolith - which also turned Wagstaff into a persona non grata in Detroit.

So it was time for Sam to go back to New York where he would relatively soon meet his destiny, or in other words: he was soon about to meet Robert Mapplethorpe.

Francesco Scavullo: Sam Wagstaff and Robert Mapplethorpe, 1973.

When Sam met Robert in 1972 he was 50 years old while Robert was 25, or in other words: he was twice Mapplethorpe's age and could have been his father - with a margin. If there's one important thing to understand it is - in my opinion - that they mutually changed each others. While I'm pretty sure that Robert would sooner or later have become an artist of importance also without the intimate interaction with Sam, I definitely don't think that his success would have been so expedient, and - more importantly - that his success in the artworld would have been with photography as his preferred artistic medium. I do think that Sam Wagstaff's economic, social and intellectual muscles were necessary to bring this change about. Or to look at it from another angle: I think that Robert and Sam was the chemical reaction necessary to make Cindy Sherman, Jeff Wall, Wolfgang Tillmans and Anthony Goicolea possible.

On the other hand it was mostly thanks to Robert that Sam stopped being so uptight about his sexuality - Robert was the necessity pushing Sam to fully come out as a gay man, and it was Robert who moved Sam to re-think his ideas about photography as a fine art. So I'll repeat my basic central point: they changed the contemporary artworld together.

Wolfgang Tillmans

Anthony Goicolea

Jeff Wall

Getting a serious interest for photography also meant that San acquired his own camera and started making photos, including a large number of self-portraits of various kinds.

Some of them funny faces...

...some more ordinary selfies...

...and some with a strong auto-erotic theme.

But himself was obviously not the only motive and you wont be surprised by finding pictures of Robert...

The very elegant male nude below is Mark Kaminsky in 1975:

I'll end this post with a picture showing Sam Wagstaff doing what made the most effect: buying classical photos at an international auction at Sotheby's, London.

Last edited:

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Photography and a new gay sensibility.

In 1978 and 1979 two noteworthy books with rather similar titles were published: Margaret Walters book from 1978 The Nude Male: A New Perspective and in 1979 The Male Nude: A Survey in Photography which was the catalogue for the exhibition "The Male Nude" in the Marcuse Pfeifer Gallery in New York.

First we have the book by Margaret Walters...

...and then the exhibition catalogue:

Walters' book didn't specialize in photography; what it mainly did was to underline the fact, that Western visual art isn't necessarily about a male artist painting or sculpting a more or less nude beautiful woman. That is the Romantic paradigm having it's breake-through in the 1820s-30s, but the much older neo-classicist paradigm for visual art was rather centered on the MALE nude.

Hippolyte Flandrin: "Jeune homme nu assis au bord de la mer", 1836.

And below is another painting by Flandrin - just to rub your nose in neo-classicism!

Hippolyte Flandrin 1833-34.

The exhibition catalogue The Male Nude: A Survey in Photography was the more directly controversial, and the nub of the controversial matter was that someone just had put up photos of nude men - with penises fully visible - on the walls of an art gallery. It was a big exhibition with more than 175 photos from a large number of phothographers - homosexual, heterosexual, male, female - represented in the Marcuse Pfeifer Gallery.

This show was thrashed in the reviews, mostly by male heterosexual art critics. Gene Thornton wrote in his review in The New York Times (18 June, 1978): "There is especially something to be said for old-fashioned prudery when the unclothed human body is a man's body. There is something disconcerting at the sight of a man's naked body being presented primarily as a sexual object."

Another reviewer was Ben Lifson in The Village Voice: "The nude is a matter of convention. In photography it's difficult, because everyday experience doesn't readily proffer naked people, to say nothing of men with phallic symbols between their legs. A nude in a photograph is presumed to be naked in order to be photographed. The male nude is harder still. A man's body doesn't lend itself to abstraction like a woman's."

If anyone thinks that an eminent poet and gay man like John Ashbery would have come up with something better, the following is to prove you wrong. Ashbery wrote in his review in New York magazine: "When is a nude not a nude? When it is male. Nude women seem to be in their natural state; men, for some reason, merely look undressed."

Rene Ricard in Art in America offered a campy twist on male nudity, but with a few veiled prejudices of his own: "Women are the traditional decorative half of humanity and men the functional...But, don't men's genitals have a certain anomalously decorative look, like an accessory thrown in to be amusing, to decorate the finished product like an earring? I think it's the tacked-on look that bothers people."

In my opinion the sanest voice in this irritable chorus was that of a woman, Vicki Goldberg, whose Saturday Review piece concluded that the male nude was "essentially homeless". She acknowledged that the male figure evokes neither "reverence nor fondness", and that public acceptance was a long way off. "Women's frank appreciation, however, might be rearranging matters; it would be splendid, and ironic, if women were the ones to restore men's sense of the beauty and dignity of their bodies."

Marcuse Pfeifer herself wrote in the exhibition catalogue published one year after the show: "Of all the fascinating things I learned while putting this exhibition together, the most conspicuous is that the subject of the male nude is still a controversial one, even if we believe that this particular decade is more liberal, liberated, libertine [...] Had this exhibition included the female nude I feel certain that I would never have encountered such a diversity of negative responses."

I think that the reactions to The Male Nude-exhibition and its catalogue in 1978-79 can teach us a valuable lesson: Thanks to all the well documented negative respons we can start understanding how extremely controversial the work of Robert Mapplethorpe and all the other gay photographers/artists of the 1970s was - something I think that we in the age of ubiquitous nude-selfies, cock-selfies and homemade fuck videos have difficulties comprehending.

Some of Mapplethorpe's contemporaries.

I'll end this post with showing some pictures from a number of Mapplethorpe's contemporaries, all of them gay artist/photographers: Duane Michals (b. 1932), Peter Hujar (1934-1987), Arthur Tress (b. 1940), Peter Berlin (b. 1942) and Marcus Leatherdale (b. 1952).

Duane Michals (b. 1932)

The picture above, The Unfortunate Man, is typical of Michal's early work with its combination of photographic images and poetic texts; this particular picture is also a profound expression of his alienation as a homosexual man in 1960s-70s USA : "The unfortunate man could not touch the one he loved."

Below are some more of his early work, showing examples of his artistic method of making picture series in which the move from one picture to the next means changing perspectives:

Peter Hujar (1934-1987)

Peter Hujar: Bruce de Ste. Croix, 1976.

The picture above from 1976 is one of Hujar's most well known and shows with all possible eloquence that he was - at least as much as Mapplethorpe - one of the gay photographers/artists who put the male nude . the fully erect male nude - at the center of modern visual art and in some sense was moving towards a new gay sensibility maybe even more decisively than Mapplethorpe. But - alas! - Hujar didn't have Sam Wagstaff at his side, so his fame has been mostly post-mortem.

However! As the next picture will show, Hujar was the guy behind the camera who made the famous classical "Gay Liberation Front"-poster from 1969. (The little blond guy to the right in the picture was Hujar's lover at the time, Jim Fouratt.)

One basic difference between Hujar and Mapplethorpe as visual artists was that the latters strong interest in classical formal perfection was absent in the former.

Arthur Tress (b. 1940)

I have particular memories of some of the pictures of Duane Michals and Arthur Tress from my teenager years in the 1970s : If sucking the cock of other boys was my Number One obsession these years, then photography was my obsession Number Two. I remember clearly that I saw pictures by Tress and Michals in the Swedish photo magazines I regularly read - but of course, these 1970s magazines never said a word about these two photographers being gay. Nada. Never.

Though some of Tress pictures are such obvious allusions to male homosexual practices that maybe I should have understood anyway.

Peter Berlin (b. 1942)

Peter Berlin was and is the pseudonym/stage name of Armin Hagen, Freiherr von Hoyningen-Huene (there's central european nobility for you!!!). But let's continue naming him Peter Berlin...Besides being one of the favourite models for Tom of Finland in the 1970s, Berlin also was a professional photographer, movie maker, fashion designer and a good friend of Robert Mapplethorpe, who made some portraits of Berlin but also curated one of his first photo exhibitions in the 1980s.

Robert Mapplethorpe: Peter Berlin

So when Peter Berlin put on the fashion he had designed himself and stood in front of the camera in his own studio or modelled for Tom of Finland or for Robert Mapplethorpe then magic happened: Kaboom!!! - the scared and shy young male homosexual from the 1950s was totally gone.

Instead we got That Boy living in Black Leather all Night long... A very different creature...

Peter Berlin in the eyes of Tom of Finland:

Marcus Leatherdale (b. 1952)

Marcus Leatherdale worked as Mapplethorpe's office manager for a while (Patricia Morrisroe Mapplethorpe p. 225-233), made some interesting pictures of him and his milieu in this period and became a professional photographer and writer on his own in due time.

Marcus Leatherdale: Robert Mapplethorpe

The photo below is of Leatherdale himself in his own darkroom - one of the essential places in a photographer's life, at least as long as traditional silver halogenide photography ruled the waves...

(I feel old when I look at this picture of the darkroom - I once had a darkroom like this, made so many photos most often late nights. And I've had quite a lot of sex in my darkroom - ah, I've been sixtynineing on the darkroom floor... I'm getting nostalgic...I mean there's a whole generation who hasn't got a fuckin' clue what a darkroom is or was.)

There was already a new important group of photographer/artists emerging about 1980, a group often referred to as "the Boston School" since many of the group members had been students at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and in this group we find Nan Goldin, Philip-Lorca diCorcia, David Armstrong, Gail Thacker, Mark Morrisroe and Jack Pierson. Even though Nan Goldin is - as far as I know - a heterosexual woman, the group as a whole shows that it's still true that art photographers have a strong tendency to be gay men. But I think this is the subject of another thread some other time.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Wow Gorgik your thread will be from post to post more interesting. Thank you so much!!!

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Wow Gorgik your thread will be from post to post more interesting. Thank you so much!!!

@ Shelter

Thanks a lot for the appreciation!!!

The post above though was actually the last post I had prepared and written earlier.

But what I can do without much further ado is to post a string of posts with some more pictures by George Dureau, Peter Hujar, Arthur Tress, Peter Berlin and Marcus Leatherdale before I'll end this thread with a short bibliography and filmography.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Some more pictures by Peter Hujar.

Peter Hujar: David Wojnarowicz

Peter Hujar: William S. Burroughs

URL=https://pimpandhost.com/image/117667155]
pk_21177_z_l.jpg
[/URL]

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Short bibliography and filmography.

Bibliography.

Philip Gefter: George Dureau, 2016

Philip Gefter: Wagstaff: Before and after Mapplethorpe., 2014

Books about Mapplethorpe.

Jack Fritscher: Mapplethorpe: Assault with a deadly Camera.,1994

Patricia Morrisroe: Robert Mapplethorpe: a biography., 1995

Arthur C. Danto: Playing with the edge: the photographic achievement of Robert Mapplethorpe., 1996

Sylvia Wolf: Polaroids Mapplethorpe., 2007

Patti Smith: Just Kids, 2010

Paul Martineau & Britt Salvesen: Robert Mapplethorpe - The Photographs, 2016

Frances Terpak: Robert Mapplethorpe - The Archive, 2016

Filmography.

James Crump(dir): Black White + Gray: A portrait of Sam Wagstaff and Robert Mapplethorpe, 2007

Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato (dir): Mapplethorpe: Look at the pictures, 2016

Ondi Timoner (dir): Mapplethorpe, 2018

The films by Crump and Bailey & Barbato are documentaries; Timoner's movie is a very conventional biopic.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Hi Gorgik this was really a very amazing thread. Thank you for your giant work. But there is one thing I must remark: for me the photos by George Dureau have been something disturbing.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Hi Gorgik this was really a very amazing thread. Thank you for your giant work. But there is one thing I must remark: for me the photos by George Dureau have been something disturbing.

Thanks for the appreciation, Shelter!!!

In my opinion, some of Dureau's pictures sends an important message to us: Physical perfection ISN'T a necessary presupposition for someone being cute, beautiful and sexy!!!

I think Dureau takes a critical distance from a modern visual culture where physical perfection is the Gospel - and in my opinion this makes Dureau healthy. Real living people just aren't perfect Platonic forms, living their perfect but utterly boring lives somewhere in outer space. I think this is something important in his art, and on this point I think Dureau comes closer to my heart than his friend Mapplethorpe.

To talk about something else: I'm thinking about to possibly make another long thread - I'm not sure, but maybe. I could send you a PM telling you what I'm thinking about!

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score

In my opinion, some of Dureau's pictures sends an important message to us: Physical perfection ISN'T a necessary presupposition for someone being cute, beautiful and sexy!!!

I think Dureau takes a critical distance from a modern visual culture where physical perfection is the Gospel - and in my opinion this makes Dureau healthy. Real living people just aren't perfect Platonic forms, living their perfect but utterly boring lives somewhere in outer space. I think this is something important in his art, and on this point I think Dureau comes closer to my heart than his friend Mapplethorpe.

To talk about something else: I'm thinking about to possibly make another long thread - I'm not sure, but maybe. I could send you a PM telling you what I'm thinking about!

Here really I must say: sorry! That is an aspect which I haven't thought of. But as well it was very brave from Dureau and his models to make such photos. Because the mainstream loves the "prettiness".

And btw I'm happy to hear that you have a new thread in your head. I'm eager to hear from it.

Mardo

Banned
Reaction score

Don't keep us in suspense for too long. We are now most curious as to what this thread could be...:thinking:

Mardo

Banned
Reaction score
Here really I must say: sorry! That is an aspect which I haven't thought of. But as well it was very brave from Dureau and his models to make such photos. Because the mainstream loves the "prettiness".

And btw I'm happy to hear that you have a new thread in your head. I'm eager to hear from it.

I think in the case of such photos involving people with disabilities, all profits must go to charity. The artist can keep only enough to cover his expenses and the expenses of the model.

This is to avoid exploitation. In the sense of the the awful 'freak shows' of Victorian times.

Something in my gut tells me to beware of someone who photographs people with disabilities and then makes thousands in profits and just keeps the money.

gorgik9

Super Vip
Reaction score
Don't keep us in suspense for too long. We are now most curious as to what this thread could be...:thinking:

I'm working on it as Shelter and haiducii already knows. It's the thread that will finally and totally give me the name Professor Boring Dry-as-Dust X_X:rofl:

To be a bit more serious: I'm working on a thread about the history of the concepts of Art and Pornography and their possible interactions. My idea is a thread very different from the Mapplethorpe thread which had a large number of pictures as its basis. The new thread will only have a few pictures as illustrations, but the main thing will be the concepts and their historical changes.